Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

left_unattended posted:

Most/every post I read so far has referred to cheese as "cheddar". Since cheddar is a variant rather than the general name where I live, I was curious. A bunch of others cheese types were posted, but not the ones I happen to be most familiar with. Not having been to the US, I was curious. I would have asked the same question of someone from any other country. No one is trying to be insulting. How dare we be curious and ask questions.

I'm from all of the US and I've never heard anyone say "cheddar" unless they meant "cheddar [the specific variety of cheese]"

If someone just says "cheese", on the other hand, there is a pretty good chance they mean individually wrapped petroleum products. "Processed American Cheese Food Product"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

bringmyfishback posted:

You can buy good cheese in the US, too, and you don't have to pay insane Canadian prices for it. BTW I never ate Velveeta before I moved to Canada.

YES. JESUS CHRIST, WE HAVE EVERYTHING IN THE US.

I find this "but do you guys have [normal food] " chat to be so ignorant and insulting. Can we please stop? As people have pointed out, the US is a HUGE country with many, many regional variants in cuisine. I really hope people will stop pigeonholing us as monstrously obese fools who eat canned French fries slathered in mayonnaise and ketchup and rolled in a taco or whatever other ridiculous things you imagine. Yes, many gross dishes posted in this thread originated with American cooks, but could that not be a sample size issue? People posting in this thread are English speakers (native or not) posting things in English and I would imagine most of us are specifically searching for things THAT ARE GROSS in English. Americans have a huge online presence and I would say 85% of the food/recipe blogs I look at are run by Americans, which I didn't do on purpose, it's just what I seem to come up with. Just stop. We are normal people. Most of us eat food people from other countries would likely recognize and even find tasty or healthy.

As for tasty cheese, it's a kind of cheddar, if I remember correctly, and we have plenty of similar products.
So why the fake cheeses?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aristophanes posted:

Paul Henry lost his poo poo over the "anal leakage" it apparently gave you.
That seems like the natural response.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I know this was probably done intentionally to be silly but it honestly could be a Facebook post of someone trying the latest fad diet

"The celery is jam-packed with fiber to help cleanse your digestive system, the dry ramen will absorb all the ~toxins~ in your body, and cherry tomatoes are jam-packed with vitamins A and C, known cancer-killing natural compounds!"

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

CSM posted:

So why the fake cheeses?
They last forever and melt perfectly, which is why they exist. Also most are made from actual cheese, and in some recipes are actually a good ingredient.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Feb 20, 2015

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

CSM posted:

So why the fake cheeses?
We have plenty of idiots, too.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

skander posted:

We have plenty of idiots, too.

There are also plenty of poor people too. Processed cheeses are way cheaper.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's "cheese food". You have to feed something to the cheese.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
it's actually the national currency. Hence when you ask someone for money in the US you say "give me some of that cheddar!"
you only hear about the dollar bill because the government and the media are ran by libelous lactose-intolerant liberals.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

the dry ramen will absorb all the ~toxins~ in your body,

I went to high school with a guy who experienced kidney failure from eating too much ramen.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

amityville anus posted:

I went to high school with a guy who experienced kidney failure from eating too much ramen.

All the salt. The dude's pee must have been powder.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

CSM posted:

So why the fake cheeses?

The 1950s.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

What is this? It looks like the corn version of a Polish plait.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

beato posted:

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_smut

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And while we're at it: Steve, Don't Eat It!

Lots of good nasty food samplin' in there.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

beato posted:

Huitlacoche, or corn smut. Grilled huitlacoche is earthy, rich, meaty, and smoky. Delicious.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

I've had these, they're terrible.

e: :suicide:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Chocolate covered potato chips can actually be really tasty, but not if you're using the cheapest possibly chips and chocolate like Lay's inevitably does.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hirayuki posted:

And while we're at it: Steve, Don't Eat It!

Lots of good nasty food samplin' in there.

You only buy canned version of Mexican food if you are desperate, or too dumb to cook. Buy it fresh, and it's always better.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Pomp posted:

Chocolate covered potato chips can actually be really tasty, but not if you're using the cheapest possibly chips and chocolate like Lay's inevitably does.

I thought yeah, chips dipped in nutella might be a nice treat.

Then I remembered this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ_a8VXhiSc

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

I once had some chocolate-covered potato chips from some Amish market and they were the best drat thing I'd ever eaten.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

You only buy canned version of Mexican food if you are desperate, or too dumb to cook. Buy it fresh, and it's always better.
I admit Steve's festering can looked a lot grosser than the fresh stuff that appeared in this past season of Top Chef. Then again, they were in Mexico and could buy it fresh at the local market. Here in the Midwest, we'd be stuck eating the canned stuff (or pushing it around on our plates, anyway). They cooked with escamoles, too. I dunno.

To move to another corner of the world, I have seen Steve's canned silkworm pupae in a local Korean market.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

I admit Steve's festering can looked a lot grosser than the fresh stuff that appeared in this past season of Top Chef. Then again, they were in Mexico and could buy it fresh at the local market. Here in the Midwest, we'd be stuck eating the canned stuff (or pushing it around on our plates, anyway). They cooked with escamoles, too. I dunno.

To move to another corner of the world, I have seen Steve's canned silkworm pupae in a local Korean market.

You can buy it fresh at a Mexican Wal-mart, haha! Well,not that fresh, but fresher than the canned version. And speaking of escamoles, my mom was just watching a recipe on youtube where they were using fly larvae for a dish.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I found this while watching docos on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgipYuNu4S4

This guy basically reverse engineers various cheap meat products to see how companies make burgers and stuff cheap by putting in as little meat as is legally possible. Usually by throwing in fat, offcuts and 'mechanically reclaimed meat'.

I'm not sure why people are so disgusted by the presence of beef heart in burgers though, heart is still muscle meat and pretty much the same poo poo as any other cut of meat they might throw in a mincer. Personally I'd prefer they put in hearts over random pieces of fat and gristle or shitloads of flour to bulk it out.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Indigenous people use every scrap of meat on an animal and we call them resourceful. McDonald's does it and suddenly it's gross now?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Desperado Bones posted:

It's hard when Mexico is 14000km/ 9000 miles away :smith:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Indigenous people use every scrap of meat on an animal and we call them resourceful. McDonald's does it and suddenly it's gross now?

The difference is the indigineous people know what their food is while modern food companies do what they can to obscure its origins.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Organ meats are delicious and I feel bad for anyone too grossed out to eat them. If you've never experienced the joy of a huge plate of haggis after a freezing cold day then you haven't really lived.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

It's hard when Mexico is 14000km/ 9000 miles away :smith:

:sympathy: I'm sorry for your lovely situation.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Organ meats are delicious and I feel bad for anyone too grossed out to eat them. If you've never experienced the joy of a huge plate of haggis after a freezing cold day then you haven't really lived.

Haven't had haggis but I agree on the organs being delicious thing. Grilled intestines with just a bit of salt and sesame oil mmmm

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

From the country that gave us balut:

Isaw:

Depending on the establishment, from little eater to roadside stand, it can vary in the amount of "intestinal" flavor.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Looks...

soooo...

delicious....

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

KakerMix posted:

Live in Wisconsin and you have any cheese you want in any variety you want in any brand you want made with whatever ingredients you want. The only thing I miss about living in Wisconsin is the endless cheese possibilities in every store.

First time I went to the bigger Woodman's there in Madtown, I was stupified. 3 aisles of cheese.

I'm from upstate NY and we have a fair amount of cheese, but nothing like that. Or the 75 kinds of bratwurst and summer sausage...

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

tribbledirigible posted:

From the country that gave us balut:

Isaw:

Depending on the establishment, from little eater to roadside stand, it can vary in the amount of "intestinal" flavor.

The trick to avoid the "intestinal" flavor is to wash the literal poo poo out of it. Ask anyone who makes tripe tacos.

Nightmare Zone
Aug 3, 2014

Do you like sucking jalapenos?
Or chitlins! This thread is having the opposite effect on me, oops.

Another meat that is delicious but a little difficult to look at is black chicken. Here's a claw-on prep of it for a macabre themed Top Chef trial:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Nightmare Zone posted:

Or chitlins! This thread is having the opposite effect on me, oops.

Another meat that is delicious but a little difficult to look at is black chicken. Here's a claw-on prep of it for a macabre themed Top Chef trial:

That looks delicious and dramatic. I know some people find black food disconcerting, but to me it looks really appealing.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That looks delicious and dramatic. I know some people find black food disconcerting, but to me it looks really appealing.

Generally when food is that black it's either extremely burned or extremely rotten, can you really blame people for being a little suspicious?

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
If goths knew black chicken existed, they would have it for very meal.

content:

An official Pringles recipe.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SLOSifl posted:

They last forever and melt perfectly, which is why they exist. Also most are made from actual cheese, and in some recipes are actually a good ingredient.

It depends on the cheese. "Processed pasteurized cheese product" is in fact not cheese and more an amalgamation of fats and leftover crap that is cobbled together and resembles cheese. It's imitation crap. Granted it's cheap and tastes close enough to American cheese that you eat it if you're too poor for real cheese. However, America's adoration for low/reduced/no fat milk means that there is a gently caress load of milk fat just kind of laying around and you know that poo poo needs to go somewhere. That "somewhere" is generally cheese. So yeah, there are in fact yellow American cheeses that are in fact made from milk but in the way you think of when you think of real cheese.

So yeah some things are labelled cheese because they approximate cheese. Other things are tangentially but still technically cheese.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The difference is the indigineous people know what their food is while modern food companies do what they can to obscure its origins.

Yeah but there are some parts that are legit gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PubicMice posted:

If goths knew black chicken existed, they would have it for very meal.

content:

An official Pringles recipe.

What an oddly disconcerting way to take a picture of food

• Locked thread