Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Armor-Piercing posted:

I've never really listened to Angelspit, but the first thing that will always come to mind when I think of them is that they once toured with Blood on the Dance Floor.

Ironically, their music actually got shittier after touring with Blood on the Dance Floor, so...

Seriously, "Blood, Death and Ivory," "Hideous and Perfect," and "Larva Pupa Tank Coffin" are all great. Then they brought in the guitars got more and more forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I don't get how a right wing reactionary goes by the name "Synth Lord." Like... where would synthesizers and synthesizer music be without intellectuals, gays, Europeans, and other assorted weirdos that all fall under what the right-wing pigeonhole of "liberals." What would Republican synthesizer music even sound like?

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

LabyaMynora posted:

What would Republican synthesizer music even sound like?
I'm sure I'd disagree with this sound, but it might sound interesting. I'd like to hear it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Angelspit is great music, they use the term electropunk but I like to think of them as a tidal wave of obscenity and distortion. I can't speak to their new music, guitars or not, although it's worth noting that guitars have killed more than one electro-industrial band. I'm looking at you, Apoptygma Berzerk.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Prop Wash posted:

Angelspit is great music, they use the term electropunk but I like to think of them as a tidal wave of obscenity and distortion. I can't speak to their new music, guitars or not, although it's worth noting that guitars have killed more than one electro-industrial band. I'm looking at you, Apoptygma Berzerk.

I haven't heard My Name Is or whichever most recent one they put out. I like Krankhaus through Carbon Beauty. Playing live they power it up with more guitars and I liked that to give it a different more energetic live vibe instead of just standing around computers like they're checking their email. But I'm also a huge metalhead so I'm probably biased. But their studio stuff (at least the older stuff) is better without that extra guitar kick so if their live lineup is now representative of their newest albums I'd probably skip their new releases. I'd still see them again though.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

After "Hello My Name Is", Zoog released "The Product," without DestroyX. No comment/announcement that she was no longer part of Angelspit or anything. It was weird. I can't remember one loving song off of "Hello My Name Is" or "The Product," and that's a bummer.

Also, before Angelspit added guitars to their live show, it was still pretty cool. I can't remember when I saw them, but they were opening for KMFDM and it was just Zoog and DestroyX on stage and Zoog had his custom joystick controller and there were no laptops on stage (that I noticed anyway).

I'm not totally against guitars. I like 3Teeth. But there's an unfortunate trend in industrial music of bands starting out electronic and being really cool/interesting/different and then adding guitars and just going "chugga chugga chug chug" on every song.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

DestroyX was the soul of Angelspit a lot more than Zoog was, I think, and a lot of their most memorable songs feature her. There's one memorable song for me that features Zoog, but it's Juicy, and it's not the good kind of memorable. I think she's gone for good, since the Angelspit website no longer mentions her at all except for credits. Oh well that's a shame, thanks for bringing me down on this nice day electro-industrial thread

W424
Oct 21, 2010

LabyaMynora posted:

But there's an unfortunate trend in industrial music of bands starting out electronic and being really cool/interesting/different and then adding guitars and just going "chugga chugga chug chug" on every song.

I'd have nothing against the guitars if they were played by persons cabable of more than drop tuned chugs on the lowest string. White noise would be about just as interesting. Other thing is if youre going to use distorted guitars you'll need to atleast doubletrack them and add a bass, otherwise it'll just sound weak/wrong. Doing so also takes a lot of the frequency content and you'll lose space for the interesting stuff.

I'm still mad at the 90's industrial rock garbage.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Yeah, distorted guitars are a frequency hog and push everything else out of the way. Guess that's why I resigned myself to the fact that there will never be any good industrial metal outside maybe Fear Factory's Demanufacture, and that's mainly just some bleeps and bloops and pads floating in the background behind the guitars.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Yeah, distorted guitars are a frequency hog and push everything else out of the way. Guess that's why I resigned myself to the fact that there will never be any good industrial metal outside maybe Fear Factory's Demanufacture, and that's mainly just some bleeps and bloops and pads floating in the background behind the guitars.

I think Strapping Young Lad's City pissed all over FF but the electronics are similiary minimal.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Strapping Young Lad was always a little too close to joke/parody music for my tastes, but I guess how seriously can you take normal metal and industrial when it comes down to it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
City was kind of earnest teen angst, I fully agree that Devin went all wacky all the time afterwards.

Edit. The best guitars & electronics stuff for me was Neurosis' trough silver in blood & times of grace. They have nothing to do with traditional industrial metal but they were just amazing.

W424 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 10, 2015

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
So no one's really been talking about resistanz in the thread, I just noticed on FB that they've got Author & Punisher, along with 3teeth and comaduster, I'm starting to look forward to this one a lot more than usual!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Puntification posted:

So no one's really been talking about resistanz in the thread, I just noticed on FB that they've got Author & Punisher, along with 3teeth and comaduster, I'm starting to look forward to this one a lot more than usual!

What's with Savant? He's some kind of :spergin: prodigy making nerdcore EDM? He's not someone I've heard of before, but I get the impression he's a big deal?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

What's with Savant? He's some kind of :spergin: prodigy making nerdcore EDM? He's not someone I've heard of before, but I get the impression he's a big deal?

Never heard of him tbh, he seems quite high up om the flyer so I guess he must be, the people I haven't mentioned kind range from meh to naff imo but with the debut of three bands I'm excited to see it makes this the strongest resistanz line-up I remember (of those I've been to/plan on going, I've missed a couple).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is the second X Marks the Pedwalk song released so far from the new album. I wasn't impressed with the first one, but this is totally my speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVcyKHCv0hI

Side comment: Strapping Young Lad was fantastic.

When it comes to me and music, I like melodies and Devin is good at those. And I could never get into a lot of metal about occult poo poo, demons and dragons. Nothing against those things. I love the Elder Scrolls games as much as anyone, but in terms of an emotional impact, SYL felt more "real" to me. Like City is an album about wanting to nuke the city of Los Angeles.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 10, 2015

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Puntification posted:

That's all a funny way of spelling DA OCTOPUSSS and Dirty K.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Does anyone know where I can find an affordable version of the book Wreckers of Civilisation? Everything I have found is either outrageously priced or the site seems very shady. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I've been trying some of these recommendations and have noticed lots and lots of black, red, and white album covers. Is there some special reason reason for this? Not complaining, just wondering.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I've been trying some of these recommendations and have noticed lots and lots of black, red, and white album covers. Is there some special reason reason for this? Not complaining, just wondering.

It is, I did a album cover for a friend and asked him for 3 colors to get a basic palette and yup. My latest was black,white and orange plus red.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Black, white, and red is like the official goth palette soooooo

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

laziness and an ironic lack of creativity from artists.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I did not know my fish was a goth. Although the white parts appear green in some lighting, so he's at least an original one.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

I did not know my fish was a goth. Although the white parts appear green in some lighting, so he's at least an original one.

Shoulda been able to tell by the amount of eye-shadow imo

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

And is that an old, crumbling gothic castle I see in the background? Sorry dude your fish is full-on new romantic at the very least.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I can accept this. I will never call myself a goth, but I agree with them on a few things.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Your fish is an honorary member of Alien Sex Fiend.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I was supposed to see your fish play in DC, but there were visa issues.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm a big fan of the latest Spark! release with all the different guest singers (although also pretty sad that the original singer left since he had a great voice)

There's one track, Dysfunctional, which somehow sounds like EBM with the singer from a late 90s/early 00s pop-punk band. The singer is actually from Biomekkanik, whoever they are? It works pretty well, IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe0nsVIB2zk

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 16, 2015

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
A late post, but:

I like this genre, but don't have a good source of news on it, so I occasionally return to this thread to find bands I didn't already know about. I had never heard of Assemblage 23 until yesterday (here) and they are good! I think my favorite Industrial-ish thing is still Kidneythieves, who haven't been doing much lately. Can anyone suggest something similar that is?

Actually, Free Dominguez (who basically is kidneythieves these days, is my perception) just finished up a kickstarter for a new album: link. She's been fairly active on Google+ -- video hangouts and such.

teethgrinder posted:

Kidneythieves really reminded me of another band, but it's lost somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind. Will take a while to recall.

Snake River Conspiracy, maybe? I've always liked them a lot, partly because of the absurdity of the Third Eye Blind connection and partly the repeated scene-drama blowups (and the songs too, of course). Flesh Field? The Azoic?

(two of those three are disbanded by the way, Staplefrog, but you'd probably like them if you like kidneythieves. I'm not sure what the status of The Azoic is, which is a shame because I like them the best of anything I've mentioned)

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 17, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Notgothic posted:

A late post, but:

Actually, Free Dominguez (who basically is kidneythieves these days, is my perception) just finished up a kickstarter for a new album: link. She's been fairly active on Google+ -- video hangouts and such.

Snake River Conspiracy, maybe? I've always liked them a lot, partly because of the absurdity of the Third Eye Blind connection and partly the repeated scene-drama blowups (and the songs too, of course). Flesh Field? The Azoic?

(two of those three are disbanded by the way, Staplefrog, but you'd probably like them if you like kidneythieves. I'm not sure what the status of The Azoic is, which is a shame because I like them the best of anything I've mentioned)

Snake River Conspiracy had a pretty dang good cover of Lovesong by The Cure, if I remember correctly.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
mind.in.a.box have released a short version of a song off their upcoming album. Definitely hearing a mix of miab and Thyx on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaelLXKLlc8

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

W424 posted:

I'd have nothing against the guitars if they were played by persons cabable of more than drop tuned chugs on the lowest string. White noise would be about just as interesting. Other thing is if youre going to use distorted guitars you'll need to atleast doubletrack them and add a bass, otherwise it'll just sound weak/wrong. Doing so also takes a lot of the frequency content and you'll lose space for the interesting stuff.

I'm still mad at the 90's industrial rock garbage.

While I quite like the '90s industrial rock garbage, I've found myself drawn time and time again to Jaher off that Skinny Puppy album that everyone hates for that exact reason. A really interesting clean guitar lick that gives the rest of the track a chance to breath and have some real atmosphere.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Hardcore Pong, a kickstarter by the Gothsicles and Angelspit.

I don't even know what to make of the music, but I got a lot of really cool extras the last time I backed a Gothsicles kickstarter, so I guess I'm in on this one.

Edit: also the rewards get pretty weird, it starts off normal and then turns into the big angelspit equipment fire sale.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 19, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Hahhaah imagine.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I like this genre, but don't have a good source of news on it, so I occasionally return to this thread to find bands I didn't already know about. I had never heard of Assemblage 23 until yesterday (here) and they are good! I think my favorite Industrial-ish thing is still Kidneythieves, who haven't been doing much lately. Can anyone suggest something similar that is?

In addition to I:Scintilla and Angelspit, check out Collide, Pzychobitch, and Ayria.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.

Laiblok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Yes