Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Haven't kept up with this thread for awhile, but since 8.1.3 (at least after then sometime) my 6 Plus seems to be having WiFi issues again. I am connected to my home network (Cisco Meraki MR18) but there's no or very slow connectivity to the device. I reset network settings a week or so ago and it worked fine for a few days, but it's acting up again. My iPad Air 2 on the same iOS release has no issues .. anyone seeing this?

Running a ping from the Meraki dashboard to the device nets me 400+ ms pings.

Edit : Looks like this has been covered very well here : https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifried-ios-8-wifi-performance-issues-3029a164ce94

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
For what it's worth the wlan on my iPhone has been poo poo too, though my computers are unaffected.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Are the Iphone 6 displays weaker than previous Iphones?

I got my iphone 6 a week ago. It fell off my desk in a protective case and the front screen looks like it has been hit by a hammer. My Iphone 5 was dropped many times with very little damage ever done to it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's glass, it breaks randomly in mysterious ways when it takes an impact. Might be fine a dozen collisions, might spiderweb at the first stray glance.

On average the screen should be just as durable as the iPhone 5.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
To be fair, larger pieces of glass to break easier than small ones. I'm certainly more careful with my 6+ than I was with my 4.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I was wondering if the rounded edges make the glass easier to break?

Googling around it sounds like phone 6 is very likely to shatter if it lands face down, even if the glass doesn't hit anything and the phone is in a protective case.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 19, 2015

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with DIY battery replacements on iPhone 5? Where can I get a reliable battery to put in it?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Anyone have experience with DIY battery replacements on iPhone 5? Where can I get a reliable battery to put in it?

It's only $79 for Apple to replace it, but I would first check to see if your phone qualifies for the iPhone 5 battery replacement program.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't qualify, unfortunately. I would be more willing to consider Apple's price if I didn't have to mail it in and not have it for that time. They're too far away to do it conveniently and the AASP in town wants to send the phone to another depot to do the job, which is frankly retarded. There is a guy in town who replaces phone batteries but the vibe I got off him was really sketch.

There are replacement batteries being sold with 3 month warranties for around $15. They all seem to have a few bad reviews--people getting sent duds--and a 4 star or so average.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

Gadget fix on eBay sells actual oem batteries from pulls. I bought one to replace my wife's battery and it was around 85% of capacity which was fine for me considering the price.

http://stores.ebay.com/gadgetfix

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

fleshweasel posted:

It doesn't qualify, unfortunately. I would be more willing to consider Apple's price if I didn't have to mail it in and not have it for that time. They're too far away to do it conveniently and the AASP in town wants to send the phone to another depot to do the job, which is frankly retarded. There is a guy in town who replaces phone batteries but the vibe I got off him was really sketch.

There are replacement batteries being sold with 3 month warranties for around $15. They all seem to have a few bad reviews--people getting sent duds--and a 4 star or so average.

I bought a battery and replacement kit from ifixit, only took 15 minutes once it arrived

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Hi guys,

bought an iphone 6 today. I have been on android for the last couple years so all my contacts are on google. Is there any way I can transfer them to iphone? I tried signing into the mail app but it didn't work, the gmail app I downloaded worked just fine so I am not sure why it is giving me "wrong password" when I try to sign in with the apple mail app.

Is that the only way to transfer contacts?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

keyframe posted:

Hi guys,

bought an iphone 6 today. I have been on android for the last couple years so all my contacts are on google. Is there any way I can transfer them to iphone? I tried signing into the mail app but it didn't work, the gmail app I downloaded worked just fine so I am not sure why it is giving me "wrong password" when I try to sign in with the apple mail app.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077?hl=en

You could also probably find some free app on the App Store by searching "transfer contacts". You are giving some 3rd party app your Google credentials, though, so you might want to be a bit cautious.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

keyframe posted:

Hi guys,

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077

"(If you’ve enabled 2 Step verification, you’ll need to generate and enter an application specific password.)"

I use my google contacts and calendar without a problem on my iPhone 6. For gmail I just use the official app.

Edit: beaten

bronin fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 22, 2015

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

noirstronaut posted:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077?hl=en

You could also probably find some free app on the App Store by searching "transfer contacts". You are giving some 3rd party app your Google credentials, though, so you might want to be a bit cautious.

Ahh I see it was 2 step verification that messed it up.

Thanks for the link.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

keyframe posted:

Hi guys,

If you have 2 step verification enabled on your google account you'll need google to generate unique app password

edit: nevermind

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm sure this is covered ad naseum, but I just had my first cracked (destroyed) glass on my 6.

I made a reservation, but I don't have AppleCare+. Will they let me come into the store for my reservation, add AC+ then and then replace the phone for $180 total or do I need to buy AC+ beforehand? I tried earlier but it deleted itself out of my cart on the app because I didn't have a qualifying product also in the cart.

Thanks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Soul Glo posted:

I'm sure this is covered ad naseum, but I just had my first cracked (destroyed) glass on my 6.

I made a reservation, but I don't have AppleCare+. Will they let me come into the store for my reservation, add AC+ then and then replace the phone for $180 total or do I need to buy AC+ beforehand? I tried earlier but it deleted itself out of my cart on the app because I didn't have a qualifying product also in the cart.

Thanks.

You must buy Apple Care plus within 60 days of the purchase of the phone. Assuming you're in that window, call Apple and add Applecare plus. They'll run a diagnostic on the phone. I have no idea if it can somehow detect a cracked screen. If not, you'll be in the clear and your phone will magically have Apple Care Plus. After that, make an appointment at a genius bar.

I would strongly advise against doing what you suggested as they will most likely not let you add it if they know the phone is already damaged.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is also highly likely that buying Applecase separately after the purchase involves you confirming that the phone is undamaged either verbally or by clicking an "I agree" button somewhere (in addition to whatever diagnostic they do remotely).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

So what do they charge out of pocket to fix a screen/replace a phone? Unsubsidized price?

e: Never mind, I have AppleCare on the phone. I was confusing it for my MacBook Air, apparently, which isn't covered.

e2: Wait, they don't differentiate between AppleCare and AppleCare PLUS do they? Isn't it just Plus now?

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 22, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, the only warranty you can get on iPhones is AppleCare+, the + just means accidental damage program.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

carry on then posted:

Yeah, the only warranty you can get on iPhones is AppleCare+, the + just means accidental damage program.

Thanks, I also just confirmed that on selfsolve.apple.com if anybody else needs to do that. First good news of this poo poo-rear end day.

The phone slipped out of my pocket at work, fell three feet onto concrete face up. The irony is I had it out of my case because the case was too grippy and I was afraid I'd fumble it one day pulling it out of my work pants. :v:

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
How do I turn off vibration for alarms? Its really unpleasant for waking up as the vibrating is often louder than my alarm music.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
There's no real way to do it but you can turn off vibration on ring/silent depending on your preference and if you phone is switched to that setting when the alarm goes off it won't vibrate.

Kind of an annoying workaround but that's the easiest way as of now.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Has something changed with Siri recently? I've noticed some names and things are being pronounced differently in let's say the past 2-3 weeks. Haven't updated anything in that time.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

My nephew came over today and he showed me his iPhone. ALL of the icons on his home screen are gone. I can still pull up the task manager and the menu when you slide up on the screen but everything else is gone. Has anyone else seen this before?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

BigRed0427 posted:

My nephew came over today and he showed me his iPhone. ALL of the icons on his home screen are gone. I can still pull up the task manager and the menu when you slide up on the screen but everything else is gone. Has anyone else seen this before?

Apparently he hasn't. Ha

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My gf has an unused verizon iPhone 4 16gb. It has the power button failure that they were prone to. We were wondering if it was worth opening it up and fixing it to sell or not. Everything is pristine on it because it lived in a case.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
iPhone 4s in their best conditions aren't worth that much anymore, honestly. The money spent fixing it (to assumedly perfect condition) and then selling it would only net you $60 to $75 bucks if you manage to save money on the repair of the home button.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

BigRed0427 posted:

Is he jailbroken?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

IllegallySober posted:

Is he jailbroken?

No. He said he tried to restore from a backup on his computer and thats when it happened.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

BigRed0427 posted:

No. He said he tried to restore from a backup on his computer and thats when it happened.

Does he just have a blank first page of applications?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I manually manage my music and such on my iPhone 6 Plus (current version iOS whatever). Plug it in every night, usually to add a few videos through iTunes. Roughly once a week, after doing so, for some reason ALL music/audiobooks are deleted. I have a few gigs of audio stuff I just keep on there at all times without changing it, and this happens without my even touching the audio content menu. I just pull the music app on the commute, and *poof* it's all gone. It's really loving annoying when I haven't so much as breathed on those menus. Any help?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
iTunes and iOS8 like to really gently caress up music libraries on phones. HTH.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What is everyone's opinion of credit card cases? I was think of getting this case but was wondering if there are any more recommended ones, plus the practicality of one. I only use one card, plus my ID.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 23, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What is everyone's opinion of credit card cases? I was think of getting this cae but was wondering if there are any more recommended ones, plus the practicality of one. I only use one card, plus my ID.

My wife has a Speck SmartFlex case and for a while found it to be annoying because she couldn't put it on a dock with the case on, and this seems to address that problem.

The only dock she found that would take the phone with the case on it was a 12 South HiRise, which turned out to be pretty cool anyway.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

My wife has a Speck SmartFlex case and for a while found it to be annoying because she couldn't put it on a dock with the case on, and this seems to address that problem.

The only dock she found that would take the phone with the case on it was a 12 South HiRise, which turned out to be pretty cool anyway.

I've got the same case and it's awesome; I never carry my wallet anymore.

Keep in mind you can keep three cards in it, but it's going to be a pain to take individual cards out. I keep an ID and one credit card in there.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Huh, I might think about that Speck case, its nice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What is everyone's opinion of credit card cases? I was think of getting this case but was wondering if there are any more recommended ones, plus the practicality of one. I only use one card, plus my ID.

I'm a fan of BookBook by Twelve South, but I have a feeling that may be a different kind of thing than what you're looking for. Plus it's expensive as a lot of the price is leather plus it being "Twelve South"

BookBook is more of a complete wallet replacement with a detachable iPhone shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

flosofl posted:

I'm a fan of BookBook by Twelve South, but I have a feeling that may be a different kind of thing than what you're looking for. Plus it's expensive as a lot of the price is leather plus it being "Twelve South"

BookBook is more of a complete wallet replacement with a detachable iPhone shell.

The problem with cases like this is that you just can't use it one handed. You could fold it back with two hands or do some weird wrist twist to swing it back and catch it, but all in all, it's just not built for it.