Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

So he can say he hasn't watched them and instantly get attention.

It all worked flawlessly, as you can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

Found the next show for NBC to remake

I've seen commercials for it, but never watched the show. I really wish it was about a crusading prosecutor who worked vampire crimes rather than the boring option of a vampire who is also a lawyer.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

VagueRant posted:

I've really been enjoying Better Call Saul and it's making me think about Breaking Bad - should I go back and watch season 4 episodes 2-12 and season 5 episodes 1-13?

Because I skipped those ones.

That's a thing I actually did.

Yeah you're cut off sorry.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Random Stranger posted:

I've seen commercials for it, but never watched the show. I really wish it was about a crusading prosecutor who worked vampire crimes rather than the boring option of a vampire who is also a lawyer.

Right?

Also doesn't that show air on that Korean channel buried somewhere in the 600s on Comcast? I remember flipping through channels one day and SUDDENLY KPOP

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

less laughter posted:

So he can say he hasn't watched them and instantly get attention.

It all worked flawlessly, as you can tell.

Yeah, I mean, what?

I'm not one to get annoyed by someone who doesn't like or didn't watch something I like but I can't parse the logic behind "I like this show and its spinoff but I skipped 1/3rd of it at random parts so should I go and watch those parts?"

Like, did you like the show? Then watch the show so you know the actual story?

Better Caul Saul has surprised me. I was expecting more of a comedy or a procedural lawyer thing. But it really does follow in Breaking Bad's footsteps in that this is the story of how Jimmy McGill became Saul Goodman like BB was the story of how Walter White became Heisenberg. And for bonus points it seems like its also how people like Mike and Tuco became who they are. That's very cool and I wasn't expecting it.

And drat Odenkirk is a legit talented actor. I never would have thought that while I was watching Mr. Show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

People still flip through channels?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sometimes I even watch things as they air.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I can't remember the last time I watched something live. Even sports. DVR then skip commercials.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mostly what I watch live is news and sports. News is where I tend to "channel flip." I'll bounce between local, cable, euro, sports and just try to get as many different stories and takes as I can until I've burned myself out or feel like I've gotten everything. And sometimes its just because I'm too distracted to sit down and watch anything properly so I just flip channels in the background.

Like most people I watch most regular TV shows on DVR delay, either later that night or days later. But I'll never do that with sports. As far as I have always been concerned a taped game is old news and not worth watching. It just feels pointless to be engaged in the up and down of a game that has already been decided.

I also tend to like watching other "live events" like the Grammies as they are. That isn't to say I plan to watch the Grammies but I'll probably flip between it and sports or news tonight and once all that either settles down or I get sick of it I'll turn on something from my DVR.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I usually start a sports game an hour or an hour and a half in. That way I can still skip all the commercials and usually be done not much later than the game typically would end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

See, I just can't do that. I'll just say "Has the second half started? Well why am I watching all this first half when its already been decided? I can just see how it ends up at halftime." And then I skip forward. I just don't think I'll ever make peace with the idea of watching sports on tape delay.

But, you know, commercials don't bug me that much when I'm watching something like that. Bathroom breaks, snack breaks, social time. I don't want to deal with commercials when I'm watching Mad Men or whatever by myself, but sports are just different to me. Especially if its a social thing.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Doing it with a hockey game lets you skip past all the little delays for icing, penalties, etc., and keeps the game pace up. The "Well we're already in the second half" thing doesn't really kick in as long as you avoid spoilers (relatively easy) and just pretend you're watching a really really speedy live game.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So I started watching Sparticus. Does it ever stop looking like rear end?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Mr. Fowl posted:

No, but most of us do stop caring about it in short order. The bad sets and green screen never abate, however.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Frankly I thought it was pretty impressive for that series to be shot entirely indoors.

Sober fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 23, 2015

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

VagueRant posted:

I've really been enjoying Better Call Saul and it's making me think about Breaking Bad - should I go back and watch season 4 episodes 2-12 and season 5 episodes 1-13?

Because I skipped those ones.

That's a thing I actually did.

My girlfriend and I stopped at the same exact spot. We were just bored to tears. Anything cool usually happens in the first 5 mins or the last 10. In between it's just a boring soap opera with minor plot lines that just peter out to nothing. "oh here comes his wife again, oh here is the son, oh the sister in law is stealing, oh hank likes rocks"... yawn.

I was extremely bored with breaking bad. :( There's my unpopular opinion of the day folks.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Jesus Christ, An Ounce of Gold!. They're minerals!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mr. Fowl posted:

The first couple of episodes are trash. It gets better once they settle into a steady location and as a result looks better too. The first episode is God awful and looks like garbage. No one will disagree. But it gets better two or three in and by episode four or five it gets good.

Although the green screen and cgi never stops and there's always a somewhat surreal and not right feel and look to the show. But it's way different than the garbage look of the first episode or two.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

An Ounce of Gold posted:

My girlfriend and I stopped at the same exact spot. We were just bored to tears. Anything cool usually happens in the first 5 mins or the last 10. In between it's just a boring soap opera with minor plot lines that just peter out to nothing. "oh here comes his wife again, oh here is the son, oh the sister in law is stealing, oh hank likes rocks"... yawn.

I was extremely bored with breaking bad. :( There's my unpopular opinion of the day folks.

I'm not one to defend slow burn dramas or intense emphasis on acting but Breaking Bad is absolutely the best example of all of it and if you don't insanely talented actors nailing the hell out of everything they do then you'll probably not like most serious oscar dramas.

I won't say its bad taste, because I have a friend who loves The Wire more then anything but gave up on Breaking Bad at the Fly episode. Breaking Bad is much more intense and focusing on a much smaller cast so I can see how people expecting one thing will get bored.

Regardless season 5 (especially the back half) of Breaking Bad is objectively some of the best television ever made, so it's worth watching just for the experience.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
On any given TV show, even universally praised ones, you're going to have people who didn't care for it for one reason or another. Just like you can find people who liked or didn't like every single Oscar contender. Not really worth getting too wrapped up about. :shrug:

That said, if you have watched Breaking Bad, liked what you saw, and haven't finished it, finish the loving show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
They did finish it. They just skipped the boring middle episodes, is all. And, really, there's no point in going back since they already know Walt didn't kill Gus in the first twelve episodes of the season anyway.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 23, 2015

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

none of season 5 is "boring middle episodes"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The big problem with the first episode of Spartacus is that almost none of the regular cast is in it. Spartacus himself is a fine main character but the show is strongest as an ensemble.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fooz posted:

none of season 5 is "boring middle episodes"

It strayed into the point where the ADD mouth breathers were going "wtf Walt hasn't gone full Heisenberg for like 20 minutes what a waste of time this show sucks now god I hate skyler she's such a oval office" during season 5 when they wanted to see constant violence and death.

The Breaking Bad threads required a fair amount of moderation because like the Got and TWD threads people got really angry over every little things and poo poo up the threads on a regular basis.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The big problem with the first episode of Spartacus is that almost none of the regular cast is in it. Spartacus himself is a fine main character but the show is strongest as an ensemble.

I just finished Season One again yesterday. It's the only season I've seen and the only reason that I didn't immediately watch the whole series the second it came back to Netflix is because I was kind of reluctant to revisit s1 knowing what happened to Andy Whitfield. But I got through it and am looking forward to the rest of the series. My understanding is that Liam McIntyre does fine in the role in seasons 3&4?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's a little shaky at the start of season 3 but eventually gets it down.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

A friend of mine stopped watching Breaking Bad at the episode where he lets Jane die. He just said nope, not interested in following this man anymore, I'm out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cactus posted:

A friend of mine stopped watching Breaking Bad at the episode where he lets Jane die. He just said nope, not interested in following this man anymore, I'm out.

Uh doesn't he realize that Walter White Is The Guy You Root For?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

zoux posted:

Walter Is The Guy Who Knocks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Breaking Bad seems like such a fuckin' bummer. Why would I want to bum myself out so much?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Breaking Bad seems like such a fuckin' bummer. Why would I want to bum myself out so much?
That's what I thought too until I found out the show was 40% black comedy.
Even the show's darkest hour has the pants callback.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

feedmyleg posted:

It's one of the most beautiful shows on television with exceptional cinematography and camerawork. It has almost no bad performances, only a few 'acceptable' performances, and many performances that are stellar or even revelatory. It's very well written and directed, and has extremely few flaws, especially when compared to other prestige series.

And as SpiderHyphenMan pointed out, it's often more of a very dark comedy or a thriller than a depressing drama.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 23, 2015

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

feedmyleg posted:

Because while Breaking Bad is very good it only really manages to elicit any emotion in a single episode towards the end, so really it's not that much of a fuckin' bummer.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is a bleak show, but it's not completely overwhelming. There were a few truly tragic or sad moments (Jessie causing Jane to relapse, tarantula kid) but they're not frequent and when they do occur they're never cheap, events have real weight and influence subsequent episodes.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92NXMtVtv8o Looks like Sesame Street's regular parodies have extended to House of Cards now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

It can also be incredibly funny too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJyar3YD9n0

EDIT: Sorry about the backing track, jesus.

EDIT 2: gently caress the above, here's some Saul moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7404XMzHr-M

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 23, 2015

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

zoux posted:

I will never understand this mindset. Walter White is a pathetic person, and you'd have to fast forward through a lot of scenes to miss that, or be a colossal idiot. Or, I dunno, a violence-desensitized borderline sociopath.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will never understand the mindset of applying real world morality and character judgement to fictional characters who's actions are fabricated to tell a story. "Ooooh he's a bad guy! I don't like him!" is the musing of a child.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You inpute real world morality and character judgement to fictional characters because the show was trying to inpute real world morality and character judgment to fictional characters. That was the point. Trying to say who gives a poo poo what Walt did, at least he was cool, is missing the whole theme of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

feedmyleg posted:

That;s how I feel about it. I know there's a ton of black comedy in it, but Walter is so unlikable and by the end of the first season is so into this new life to the destruction of his family that I just couldn't watch any more.

It's incredibly well-written, performed, and directed; but it's not a show I enjoyed.

• Locked thread