Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

Actually is there anything that says the Speaker of the House or VP can't also be a Supreme Court Justice? :unsmigghh:

According to The West Wing (which admittedly was not always accurate), yes. Nobody's allowed to have jobs in multiple branches of government simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

CaptainCarrot posted:

According to The West Wing (which admittedly was not always accurate), yes. Nobody's allowed to have jobs in multiple branches of government simultaneously.
I think it's in the US Constitution Article I Section 6? Not sure

quote:

No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States, which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been encreased during such time; and no Person holding any Office under the United States, shall be a Member of either House during his Continuance in Office.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

I think it's in the US Constitution Article I Section 6? Not sure

The Speaker of the House is not required to be a sitting Representative though, in fact they don't even need to be from Congress at all.

The only requirement is that a majority of the house votes for them.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Here are the official requirements to be a Supreme Court judge:

1) pass nomination process
2) Not hold any other governmental office at the same time

The end.

I eagerly await the day that an 18 year old is nominated to pull the college vote in.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Here are the official requirements to be a Supreme Court judge:

1) pass nomination process
2) Not hold any other governmental office at the same time

The end.

I eagerly await the day that an 18 year old is nominated to pull the college vote in.

That's when we'll know the U.S. is either REALLY enlightened as a society or they're circling the drain: When they follow the plot of an Archie Comcs Company series. There was a comic named Prez where a 19 year old runs for and wins the presidency.

Either that, or to steal from George Carlin, the U.S elects somebody commonly referred to as Downtown President Brown.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
DC comics, thank you. Also a teensploitation flick called Wild in the Streets.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

PerniciousKnid posted:

I can't wait until people are taking about how nice it would be to finally have a black president, and I can remind them we already had one.

Don't worry, a perverse inversion of the "one drop" rule will ensure that America never has a fully black president. It was their white blood that gave them the ability to govern.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Warcabbit posted:

What are you talking about? JFK was irish on both sides.
E, F, B.

I was referring to President Obama as being mixed race, and suggested our first "both parents not white" President would be from a Spanish speaking background. Computer parts pointed out that Hispanics are considered white, at least so far as the census goes. Not sure where the JFK comment came from since he was definitely Irish, unless that was a subtle joke about how Irish people used to not be considered white either.

Shbobdb posted:

Don't worry, a perverse inversion of the "one drop" rule will ensure that America never has a fully black president. It was their white blood that gave them the ability to govern.

This is why I think an important future step in race relations is to elect a President who has no discernible "white" familial background whatsoever.

Spergin Morlock fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 23, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As long as America remains a racist state, I can assure you that every president will be presented as having white ancestors. All it takes is "one drop".

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Xibanya posted:

What I want is for Obama to sell out like a motherfucker once he leaves office. I want him to get a talk show, sell merchandise, license a comic book featuring himself, and basically never ever go away. The conservative rage would be astounding.

I would only actually watch the talk show if it was hosted by Trollbama.

The Daily Show with Barack Obama.

Mo_Steel posted:

It's actually never been raised, and there's an argument to be made that it's allowable. The 22nd says no person shall be elected to the office of Presidency more than twice, but that doesn't mean explicitly that they are constitutionally ineligible to hold the office again. If Obama were to be Speaker of the House in 2017 and then the President and VP were both killed he would become the President that way, and there would be no Constitutional reason to bar him from remaining President until the next election as such. Therefore, he's not Constitutionally ineligible to be the President, merely to be elected President, and thus he is eligible to be Vice President.

Yeah, I made this as a joke during the 2008 election:

I called it the "nightmare ticket."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chadderbox posted:

This is why I think an important future step in race relations is to elect a President who has no discernible "white" familial background whatsoever.

That would tend to exclude the vast majority of african-americans, among others.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Whites' traditional prowess as rapists - whether they be conquistadors, frontiersmen, planters or whatever - means it is hard to find anyone in the states who is 100% verifiably non-white anyway

Barring like a 2ndgen african or asian immigrant, you would probably have to find a Samoan or something.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Chadderbox posted:

He's half white. What will be crazy is when we have a president with no white parents/grandparents. I'm guessing if this ever happens at all it will be a Hispanic president.

He's black. The American people elected a black president. If anything, race-mixing is more likely to rile up the racists, especially if the father is black.

edit: People still believe that Obama was elected because his grandparents were white? No one gave a gently caress that Obama was mixed race, except the Freepers.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 23, 2015

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There was a comic named Prez where a 19 year old runs for and wins the presidency.

They're bringing it back.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deep Hurting posted:

The Daily Show with Barack Obama.

I'd watch it. Supreme Court Justice Obama would also be highly acceptable, but supposedly Michelle and the daughters hate living in DC.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cythereal posted:

I'd watch it. Supreme Court Justice Obama would also be highly acceptable, but supposedly Michelle and the daughters hate living in DC.

The Daily Show with Chief Justice Obama.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
And it's all stupid because if you really think about it we're all Africans anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chadderbox posted:

Not sure where the JFK comment came from since he was definitely Irish, unless that was a subtle joke about how Irish people used to not be considered white either.

Southern Whites don't identify with being Irish or Catholic.

Or at least not in 1960.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUtirCf-RfU

This little turd has over 100k views for some reason.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's when we'll know the U.S. is either REALLY enlightened as a society or they're circling the drain: When they follow the plot of an Archie Comcs Company series. There was a comic named Prez where a 19 year old runs for and wins the presidency.

They're actually starting that title back up again.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/06/new-offbeat-series-bat-mite-prez-cyborg-dcs-june-mini-relaunch/

I think the girl is the president, but we're not sure.

Chadderbox posted:

Not sure where the JFK comment came from since he was definitely Irish, unless that was a subtle joke about how Irish people used to not be considered white either.

It... wasn't very subtle.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why were the Irish hated so much?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Blue Star posted:

The English had used them as one-step-above-slave-labor for centuries.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

Southern Whites don't identify with being Irish or Catholic.

Or at least not in 1960.

They still voted for him, though?

Blue Star posted:

They were an ethnically distinct minority that took low status jobs. That's about all there is to it

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
How's that joke go? An English soldier stops an Irish man waking down the street, knocks him to the ground, beats him bloody. The Irish man through a mouthful of blood asks "what the hell? What have you got against the Irish?" The soldier leans over him and growls "we will never forgive you for what we did to you!"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Is there an easy, quick reference (preferably visual) to the contributions of various countries' efforts in fighting ISIL? Gettin' real tired of morons going "pfeh, US is just standing back and not doing poo poo THANKS OBAMA."

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUtirCf-RfU

This little turd has over 100k views for some reason.
FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW

That's the reason. That video is purestrain gold for right wing email campaigns.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Hazo posted:

Is there an easy, quick reference (preferably visual) to the contributions of various countries' efforts in fighting ISIL? Gettin' real tired of morons going "pfeh, US is just standing back and not doing poo poo THANKS OBAMA."

There was just a snuff film posted on this forum showing U-Ra-Ra USA! That might get them hard.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sean Hannity @seanhannity ·
AMERICAN Sniper snubbed by liberal hwood Predictable. #CluelessOscars

uh.

Okay.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

Sean Hannity @seanhannity ·
AMERICAN Sniper snubbed by liberal hwood Predictable. #CluelessOscars

uh.

Okay.

Ahahaha let the freeper tears begin!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Blue Star posted:

A poo poo load of them came over all at once during a period where America was having some pretty big difficulties. Generally speaking the most recent group of immigrants gets the most hate while getting blamed for absolutely everything that goes wrong. There weren't many Irish in America and then suddenly there were a lot of them so people went "gently caress those people, poo poo was better before they showed up." That's about all there is to it.

It didn't help that they were desperate, poor people fleeing a famine and we all know what America thinks about poor people.

\/\/\/ Oh yeah, there was that too but I forgot about that.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 23, 2015

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A poo poo load of them came over all at once during a period where America was having some pretty big difficulties. Generally speaking the most recent group of immigrants gets the most hate while getting blamed for absolutely everything that goes wrong. There weren't many Irish in America and then suddenly there were a lot of them so people went "gently caress those people, poo poo was better before they showed up." That's about all there is to it.

It didn't help that they were desperate, poor people fleeing a famine and we all know what America thinks about poor people.
They were also Catholic, emigrating to a country that was pretty severely Protestant.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My man Ben Franklin addressed the Irish problem pretty succinctly when he said, "gently caress the Irish and everyone else who isn't white."

And Ben Franklin was pretty accepting when it came to racial issues. It's like a mirror universe Jefferson. Franklin thought all people should be free, but free people should associate with those like them . . . because not all people are created equal. Jefferson loved the gently caress out of slavery and loved the gently caress out of slaves. But all white men are created equal.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Shbobdb posted:

My man Ben Franklin addressed the Irish problem pretty succinctly when he said, "gently caress the Irish and everyone else who isn't white."

And Ben Franklin was pretty accepting when it came to racial issues. It's like a mirror universe Jefferson. Franklin thought all people should be free, but free people should associate with those like them . . . because not all people are created equal. Jefferson loved the gently caress out of slavery and loved the gently caress out of slaves. But all white men are created equal.

Franklin was a bit of a dick about immigrants earlier in his life:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observations_Concerning_the_Increase_of_Mankind,_Peopling_of_Countries,_etc.

Ben Franklin posted:

Why should the Palatine Boors be suffered to swarm into our settlements, and by herding together establish their languages and manners to the exclusion of ours? Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our language or customs, any more than they can acquire our complexion?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Don't forget the Irish also were so very definitely not white, according to the scientific racism of the day:

EDIT: Same page, even. In my defense, that image didn't load the first time I saw the page, only the "balance" one.

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 23, 2015

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

icantfindaname posted:

They were still voting Democratic in 1960.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

democrats hadn't taken the civil rights mantle yet, so that was just southern whites voting Democrat for the reasons they always had.

Kennedy also had an extremely prominent southern politician of impeccable anglo-protestant credentials to reassure people.

yeah people vote for the top of the ticket but some will vote for the bottom if it's somebody of LBJ's stature. And it helped that Nixon was associated with the Eisenhower regime, which was widely hated in lowland Dixie.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 23, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Franklin was "a bit of a dick" about non-white people* throughout the whole of his life. He just wasn't a huge fan of people owning other people. He didn't think slavery was necessary. We all drink homogenized milk nowadays but Franklin didn't. And he figured society would naturally organize itself, even after a vigorous shaking, of the cream rising to the top.

* Franklin's version of "whiteness" included the English and some parts of France.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Shbobdb posted:

There was just a snuff film posted on this forum showing U-Ra-Ra USA! That might get them hard.
I don't know what you're referring to.

But for real if someone has a quick reference to the immense amount of the stuff the US is doing it'd be real handy to have for the chickenhawk dipshits who think Obummer isn't doing anything unless he's actively putting people in the line of fire.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Don't forget the Irish also were so very definitely not white, according to the scientific racism of the day:

Would you say they were... 4/5ths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

democrats hadn't taken the civil rights mantle yet, so that was just southern whites voting Democrat for the reasons they always had.

Kennedy also had an extremely prominent southern politician of impeccable anglo-protestant credentials to reassure people.

yeah people vote for the top of the ticket but some will vote for the bottom if it's somebody of LBJ's stature. And it helped that Nixon was associated with the Eisenhower regime, which was widely hated in lowland Dixie.

It just seems strange to me to use Kennedy as an example of white Southerners hating the Irish, when he in fact won nearly all of the white Southern vote, regardless of the stuff with LBJ

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 23, 2015