Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

They need to have more episodes where he's allowed to just do goofy poo poo. Maybe have him go on another date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Sekai's greatest problem is he could be so much more than he is.

That's probably my biggest problem too. :smith:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Omnicrom posted:

Sekai's greatest problem is he could be so much more than he is.

I wish he actually did have burning passion. And made his own Gunpla of course. You could've done a neat thing in the first 3-5 episodes, every episode he just grabs a recently released HGUC off the shelf, builds it quickly and sloppily, and uses that to fight. Even if he wins it's completely trashed by the end of the fight. Then he learns to love Gundam and Gunpla as much as he loves Gunpla Battle, and builds the Build Burning.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Honestly one of the things I wish they did less with Sekai is his "alone" time being 1-2 minutes of footage of him going through katas on his own. Other than maybe the time he was actually checking the limits of Build Burning's posability, they've just been kinda there to remind you he's a martial arts guy. Sometimes someone will comment on it but...?

I dunno, they could have just done -something- better with his screentime.

Yosuke fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 23, 2015

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My biggest criticism of sekai is that he legit feels like a side character who got swapped into the MC position of the show at the last second and they didn't bother to fill in enough of his backstory for his new position to make sense

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tenzarin posted:

No, they were just changing the lead writer.

Stop rumor milling this poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Generally, if a character is really good at one thing, you challenge them by pushing them into situations where that one thing won't work. Even Reiji had a whole subplot about him being pushed out of his comfort zone with his growing affection for Aila and Gunpla, and he was a pretty well-adjusted guy without much baggage. Sekai needs to face more problems he can't punch his way out of, just like Yuuma and Fumina faced problems they couldn't build or teamwork their way out of.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Even Reiji had a whole subplot about him being pushed out of his comfort zone with his growing affection for Aila and Gunpla

I don't recall him ever being really pushed out his comfort zone in regards to either of those. He did become more attached to them (Aila more than Gunpla), but I don't ever recall it being a subplot that he was discomfited by either or anything.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He threw a minor fit over both of them, and had to be calmed down by Ral and then Fellini.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I don't recall him ever being really pushed out his comfort zone in regards to either of those. He did become more attached to them (Aila more than Gunpla), but I don't ever recall it being a subplot that he was discomfited by either or anything.

The Aila plot was not one he could solve by fighting which was his go-to solution. He had significant discomfort and frustration over it and Felini even had to pep talk him about it. It wasn't a particularly huge arc but it was the one where the actual victory was Reiji talking to Aila, rather than the perfunctory (and kind of half-assed) physical victory.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Don't be hating the "THE EPISODE IS ALMOST OVER SO I'M KILLING YOU IN ONE HIT" finisher.

Best Build Knuckle finish.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm cool with that build knuckle finish as it was really god drat pretty, what with the particle effects and flowers.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah Reiji sure deflowered that girl with a plastic fist.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

While Aila vs Reiji may not have been visually the best fight, it was definitely the most entertaining.

:allears:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It occurs to me that punch-happy Sekai with his bombastic shouting is a bad overreaction to one of the problems with the Build Knuckle: The Build Knuckle really doesn't look that good or exciting. I really think overall the Build Knuckle was one of the weakest parts of BF1, it wasn't hyped as much as it should have been, it didn't have a good premiere, and there wasn't the level of pomp and circumstance that was warranted for what was Reiji's finishing move.

Look at G Gundam and the Shining/God Finger: it has its own music theme, Domon gives his whole little spiel about it, and you see the Gundam transforming and charging it up. They really sold the move as being absolutely deadly, the whole production goes into saying "This move will totally rip your head off". The Build Knuckle didn't really get that same level of hype, we see it lay waste to Gunpla after Gunpla but it never really becomes an exciting or intimidating move. Building excitement is a major part of selling a move in basically anything and the Build Knuckle doesn't pull it off.

I think Sekai's fighting style was created in part as a reaction to that problem with the Build Knuckle. All his moves have a lot of shouting and fancy punching and bombastic effects. Of course it doesn't work because there's little more to Sekai's fighting than his various Jigen Haou moves and bombastic and over the top finishers don't work when the baseline is already bombastic and over the top. I THINK that the Phoenix Punch is supposed to be a solution to this attempted solution, but that one has its own problems with how they've sold it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the build knuckle as pretty much their "stop the enemies bullshit with even bigger bullshit" button. It managed to flood the arena with particles, thereby screwing up Aina's senses , stopped Mao's giant laser sword and IMO the biggest asspull move, the build knuckle somehow had a delayed effect on the sengoku astray and made it's arm explode.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Monaghan posted:

screwing up Aina's senses

I see this a lot and it confuses me a bit. I mean, yeah, there were particles flying everywhere, but my impression from that scene was that her foresight thing was working fine, she just literally couldn't do anything to prevent the build knuckle from connecting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zwingley posted:

I see this a lot and it confuses me a bit. I mean, yeah, there were particles flying everywhere, but my impression from that scene was that her foresight thing was working fine, she just literally couldn't do anything to prevent the build knuckle from connecting.

Aila literally sees particles. She isn't psychic she just sees the ways that particles are moving before the unit does and so she has more time to react. As presented in the episode the Build Knuckle was emitting so many particles it literally blinded her.

Edit:
I want a SRW were Aida, Aina and Aila all hang out together.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 23, 2015

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

ImpAtom posted:

Aila literally sees particles. She isn't psychic she just sees the ways that particles are moving before the unit does and so she has more time to react. As presented in the episode the Build Knuckle was emitting so many particles it literally blinded her.

Edit:

I know she's not psychic, but she says something along the lines of "I can't avoid it" (I think; I can check in a moment) as opposed to "I can't see it." :shrug:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Edit:

god drat it, I just realized I got Aina and Aila mixed up. Stupid similar names...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

god drat it, I just realized I got Aina and Aila mixed up. Stupid similar names...

Well, she makes that joke herself in the show!

Zwingley posted:

I know she's not psychic, but she says something along the lines of "I can't avoid it" (I think; I can check in a moment) as opposed to "I can't see it." :shrug:

Yeah, but the way it is presented is 'giant wave of particles obscuring everything." She can't avoid it because she can't see where to dodge. (The fact that it is presented as "Reiji rams right into her" is just kinda poor choreography.)

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but the way it is presented is 'giant wave of particles obscuring everything." She can't avoid it because she can't see where to dodge. (The fact that it is presented as "Reiji rams right into her" is just kinda poor choreography.)

That's fair; I guess I'm just putting the spoken word before the visuals. :shobon:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

The Build Knuckle didn't really get that same level of hype, we see it lay waste to Gunpla after Gunpla but it never really becomes an exciting or intimidating move.

Man if you didn't like RG Double Build Knuckle I don't know what to tell you.

Like I said the last time we all chatted about this, the nice thing about the Build Knuckle is that as the designated finishing move it got totally reanimated every single time they used it. It's a last ditch punch against Fellini, a (low budget) Shining Finger against Mao, an uppercut against Nils, a T Link Knuckle against Aila, a crazy particle bonanza against Evil Meijin, and a super high budget punch on the crystal. Personally that more than makes up for Reiji not doing some kind of chant every time he uses it.

Monaghan posted:

IMO the biggest asspull move, the build knuckle somehow had a delayed effect on the sengoku astray and made it's arm explode.

It was the magic of "gently caress animating the astray, let's move on to the next part of the fight".

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

and a super high budget punch Super Robot Wars attack on the crystal.

Fixed that for you. drat thing even had a cut-in.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TARDISman posted:

Fixed that for you. drat thing even had a cut-in.

The best part of that is going to be giving up one of your best subpilots in exchange for a really good sniper that can trigger an endgame combination attack.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Someone in another forum pointed out that denial gundams model number is NK-13j which probably stands for nidaime kawaguchi 13 while the J is there because its cutomized by Junya. This makes sense because yuukis use the SK numbering, which probably stands for sandaime kawaguchi.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Someone in another forum pointed out that denial gundams model number is NK-13j which probably stands for nidaime kawaguchi 13 while the J is there because its cutomized by Junya. This makes sense because yuukis use the SK numbering, which probably stands for sandaime kawaguchi.

Makes sense.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What are the meanings behind these? A bit of light googling gives me rough ideas, but I feel like I'm missing some of the nuance.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

What are the meanings behind these? A bit of light googling gives me rough ideas, but I feel like I'm missing some of the nuance.

"The second Kawaguchi" and "The third Kawaguchi" respectively.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Second Meijin, in case you forgot, was Captain Tryhard Nofun.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Droyer posted:

"The second Kawaguchi" and "The third Kawaguchi" respectively.

ImpAtom posted:

Ah, okay, that explains it. Thank you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just specifically; Ni is Two and San is Three in Japanese.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

ImpAtom posted:

The Dark Master of Evil Gunpla also fits.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

As for the original, that's apparently showing up in the next issue of Build Fighters A.

Designed by NAOKI.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Ten kilometers of legs and enough panel lines to make a circuit board blush.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The design is almost alien, really. There's something almost un-Gundam about it that I can't QUITE figure out...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It reminds me of an arm slave.

so naoki was just a guy that made lots of models that got featured in places like hobbyjapan and poo poo and now he's an actual designer? good for him

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
It is actually brilliant. Centuries and millenia of long legged gundams must culminate in what is basically just a head with tremendous legs:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gearhead posted:

The design is almost alien, really.

It's the Denial with different skirt armor, new shoulders and a backpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

It's the Denial with different skirt armor, new shoulders and a backpack.

Which probably means the original version will turn up as a kit as well, if they're dipping into the manga designs.

• Locked thread