Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Hollismason posted:

What the hell happened to River Song who's name I do not remember and never will. Like did she die or get de mirakued?

Shado? The lady on the island? Professor Ivo shot her after trying to make Ollie choose between Sara and Shado.

Or do you mean the lady played by Summer Glau? She got hit by a car and then.... something happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Nyssa snapped her neck old school

Edit: also I believe you mean river tam. River song is Dr who.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Habibi posted:

From episode one to like fifteen.

I thought he was pretty OK even then? I mean he was going out of his way to get Ollie situated and back into the nightlife scene and stuff. I don't think that makes him a terrible friend...

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Tommy was a spoiled trust fund baby but he was never really a bad friend to Oliver. He was pissed when he found out his best friend was a murderous vigilante but that's understandable.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Edit: also Tommy, even if slightly douchey at times, was pretty consistent about caring for the people close to him. He was a carefree trustfund baby but he was a good person at heart, at least that's my interpretation of the character.

Hollismason posted:

What the hell happened to River Song who's name I do not remember and never will. Like did she die or get de mirakued?

Alex Kingston is the Lance family matriarch and was last seen telling Laurel to kill anyone who stood in her way to find Sarahs killer. She's only appeared in a few episodes.

Martout fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 22, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Amell posted to his facebook that he just got offered a job in a "super cool movie." Didn't take long for people to start speculating that said movie is a DC film.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

enraged_camel posted:

Except he didn't grow up by choice. He grew up only because daddy turned off the money faucet. If that had not happened, he would have been quite happy to remain a rich playboy for the rest of his life.

If he had woken up one day and said, "wait a minute, what am I doing with my life? I need to stop relying on my dad and learn how to support myself" and then stopped accepting Malcolm's money, then that would be something.

That said, he wasn't a bad character. He was actually likable, and had some admirable qualities. Unlike a certain someone.

I mean, that's sort of how it happens for everyone though, right? People generally don't change until prompted. Responding to a crisis by stepping up and growing as a person instead of clinging to your old ways is kind of the definition of maturation. He could have easily hung on as a rich spoiled person and begged Oliver for a room at his manor and just leeched off of him, and I'm sure that Ollie would have let him. But he didn't.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Scyantific posted:

Amell posted to his facebook that he just got offered a job in a "super cool movie." Didn't take long for people to start speculating that said movie is a DC film.

If only

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I liked that episode. Finally got round to watching it.

I was on edge during the whole of it going through the guest stars, I just managed to resist cheering when Manu Bennet popped up there.

Also I love that A, the ARGUS prison has a big button that unlocks the doors, and B, that it is right next to the cell. That's just asking for trouble.

Oh, was the ARGUS bigwig at the end of the flashback a comics dude as well? I forgot his name but often when characters get introduced like that they're already somebody.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

He was offered the chance to replace Jeremy Renner in the MCU.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

McDragon posted:

I liked that episode. Finally got round to watching it.

I was on edge during the whole of it going through the guest stars, I just managed to resist cheering when Manu Bennet popped up there.

Also I love that A, the ARGUS prison has a big button that unlocks the doors, and B, that it is right next to the cell. That's just asking for trouble.

Oh, was the ARGUS bigwig at the end of the flashback a comics dude as well? I forgot his name but often when characters get introduced like that they're already somebody.

I don't think it was designed by ARGUS. Just put into use by them. Ollie says it in the episode that it was used as a prison by the Chinese before.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Hollismason posted:

River Song or River Tam?

River Song is Dinah Lance, and is fine.

River Tam was killed.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Scyantific posted:

While I would definitely be down with seeing him as Green Arrow in a movie, I hope for his career that he gets some more opportunities to branch out from superhero stuff.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Scyantific posted:

Super cool, super cool. Super. Cool.

Stephen Amell is going to be in the Iceman movie.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I used to think Amell's acting was dead and uninspired. That he was almost emotionless. And I still think that, but only the first few episodes. The first episodes of this show were already rocky to begin with but his acting didn't help. It felt like some one told him "You're a cold unflinching killing machine hellbent on revenge." Obviously that's not even close to the case in the current episodes. Maybe it was just everyone (including the writers) still trying to hit their groove, but even going back now and watching them is painful. Which really sucks when you're trying to get some one else interested in watching this show. They don't see the appeal till almost 9 hours of the show. Which is a lot to sit through with the only encouragement to keep watching is me sitting over there shoulder saying "I promise this gets SO good!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

It felt like some one told him "You're a cold unflinching killing machine hellbent on revenge."

He has said this is literally the case.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, the flashbacks have been pretty dull, because it feels like the writers/producers are stretching them on and on simply to stay within the "formula" of the show. I think one season of flashbacks on the island and another season as an ARGUS operative in Hong Kong would have been quite sufficient. Yeah, he was gone for five years, but I think it's OK to leave a lot of that out of the show if they can't find a way to make it interesting. What's worse is that it's starting to look like they will drag on even longer, because I'm pretty sure the general dude is going to renege on his promise to let Ollie return to Sterling City after the debrief (either that, or something will go wrong, etc.).

Well, the General said "anywhere in the world". I think Oliver is going to choose to go to Russia and train. Is there a Russian DC character he could learn from? Or it will be just general mob business I guess.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Windows 98 posted:

It felt like some one told him "You're a cold unflinching killing machine hellbent on revenge."

Uh, yeah man, Ollie's whole arc is that by the time he got back to Starling City he was pretty much a broken shell of a man and had to learn how to 'live'/be a 'real person' all over again.

I will grant that a little bit of the first couple episodes may have been Amell settling in (did he do much before Arrow?) but the character was pretty explicitly written to be off-putting and 'woody' that way.

It's like how I've been binging through Person of Interest lately, and Jim Caviezel plays Reese initially very much like early Ollie. He never gets as animated as Amell is now, but once he's allowed to start dropping the 'I don't care anymore' mask it gets really intense. :stare:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm assuming the General is going to gently caress Oliver over. At this point of the flashbacks I can't think of a reason why Oliver would choose to go anywhere other than home and when the General promised him that Waller gave Oliver a little look that I interpreted as "He's worse than me, I'm sorry."

Someone has to dump Ollie back on that island. This guy struck me as just the rear end in a top hat to do it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not to mention he still has 2 years before he goes home.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WarLocke posted:

Uh, yeah man, Ollie's whole arc is that by the time he got back to Starling City he was pretty much a broken shell of a man and had to learn how to 'live'/be a 'real person' all over again.

I will grant that a little bit of the first couple episodes may have been Amell settling in (did he do much before Arrow?) but the character was pretty explicitly written to be off-putting and 'woody' that way.
Yeah, I don't think it was a brilliant performance or anything and he had his troubles but Oliver is totally broken and Amell is playing him as broken. The goofy facade he put on in the first season for his friends and family was in stark contrast to the obsessed, broken, and lonely guy he really was. And as is painstakingly presented in stories like Felicity he still is totally broken. Then again since he's been back his mother has been involved in killing thousands including his best friend, his dead ex came back from the dead and then died again, his other ex became an alcoholic and then an angry vigilante, his mom got killed by an old friend, his sister ran away with her newfound mass murdering father and was drugged into killing his ex, and he got killed. So I guess its understandable why he's a giant socially stunted dork around Felicity.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Aphrodite posted:

Not to mention he still has 2 years before he goes home.

And other than a little bit of training, he hasn't really turned into a ninja quite yet. Most of the jobs he has been doing required only a little amount of fighting, and mostly with a gun or just parkouring around. I expect his next 2 years to include serious military training.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ashez2ashes posted:

Well, the General said "anywhere in the world". I think Oliver is going to choose to go to Russia and train. Is there a Russian DC character he could learn from? Or it will be just general mob business I guess.

KGBeast? :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Rocket Red? Comedy Option

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

McDragon posted:

Yeah. I don't really know much about him, but he's the leader of this group called the Creature Commandos, which are apparently not actually animal people as you might expect.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A certain... Red Son

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Amell tells a really funny story about how he would yell at bad reviews "I'm not stiff! He's stiff!"

I do think that Amell has grown as an actor in these three years, though. I can't imagine pre-arrow Stephen Amell nailing that "I don't want to die down here" scene that strongly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ashez2ashes posted:

KGBeast and Rocket Red are the two most prominent Russian characters in the DCU. The Russian guy Ollie meets on the Amazo has the same alias as the KGBeast so it mightbesafe to say that Ollie might be trained by him. There's also the NKVDemon and Vostok (of Aquaman and the Others).

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I actually thought this, too. It's clear to me he returned to Starling as this really broken, troubled person who'd been trained to do nothing but kill. He learned how to trust others again and opened up to Diggle, Felicity, ect. and loosened up some. He actually seems to have a (admittedly dry) sense of humor now.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

It's funny because everyone always says the first part of season 1 isn't very good but I'm rewatching it and it's kind of nice that not every single person is a vigilante/martial artist.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Did Laurel say she was going to go to a law firm in San Francisco? And if yes, is that the first non-DC city ever mentioned by the show? And if not, ignore this as a sickness-induced fever dream?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ollie has been in Hong Kong all season.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah it's weird they used that fictional city where they put a lot of Jackie Chan's movies as the place for Ollie's flashbacks this year.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Tupping Liberty posted:

Did Laurel say she was going to go to a law firm in San Francisco? And if yes, is that the first non-DC city ever mentioned by the show? And if not, ignore this as a sickness-induced fever dream?

Nope, they get mentioned all the time. First case that comes to mind is when Waller shows Ollie the dossier on where Deathstroke has been working.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Aphrodite posted:

Ollie has been in Hong Kong all season.

No, it's clearly Madripoor.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
You're all right of course. I'll crawl back under the covers now.

I don't know why it stuck out so much for me, though. Maybe because it's a US city that's not a DC city. Have New York, Chicago, or LA been mentioned before?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Tupping Liberty posted:

You're all right of course. I'll crawl back under the covers now.

I don't know why it stuck out so much for me, though. Maybe because it's a US city that's not a DC city. Have New York, Chicago, or LA been mentioned before?

The pilot did have Tommy mentioning the winners of the 5 Super Bowls while Oliver was "dead," (Giants, Steelers, Patriots, Saints, Giants) so US cities are definitely a thing. And then there's The Flash, where Ronnie mentions to Caitlin in last week's episode that him and Prof. Stein are headed to Pittsburgh to meet one of the professor's colleagues as well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm actually very surprised that Gotham City has not gotten a mention. I know the Batman stuff is off-limits for the most part because "legal stuff" but The Flash got away with mentioning Wayne Enterprises on a newspaper.

edit: Although now that I think about it, having an ongoing show called Gotham Before probably makes it a big issue.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

I'm actually very surprised that Gotham City has not gotten a mention. I know the Batman stuff is off-limits for the most part because "legal stuff" but The Flash got away with mentioning Wayne Enterprises on a newspaper.

Although now that I think about it, having an ongoing show called Gotham Before probably makes it a big issue.

It's probably because it is literally the name of the other show that they are not affiliated with. I guess that's the reason now anyway, probably didn't want to reference Batman too much back when the show was finding it's feet at the start either.

I wish Ras had mentioned a detective at least, guess he still can since he will presumably be appearing sometime again soon. He feels like a very distant threat this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

enraged_camel posted:

edit: Although now that I think about it, having an ongoing show called Gotham Before probably makes it a big issue.

I really hate that DC won't let them do Batman/Superman stuff ever. I understand movies make more than tv shows but that doesn't mean they can't coexist. At the very least they should have let them talk about rumors of a Batman in Gotham.

Is Gotham worth watching or should I just ignore it?

• Locked thread