Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Tetraptous posted:

Yeah, here's what you're trying to shoot through on the Tiger:

I wonder if some German crews bailed out of undamaged tanks and blew them up just so they wouldn't have to maintain them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I wonder if some German crews bailed out of undamaged tanks and blew them up just so they wouldn't have to maintain them anymore.

Well they did ditch the outermost layer of wheels as time went on.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Probably true for some of the 3rd line war crimes divisions stuck with Somua S35s.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Feindfeuer posted:

Imagine having to fix one of the torsion bars on that thing... that's already a horrible job if you only have to remove one road wheel. :psyduck:

A shot could force a bunch of the interleaved roadwheels together and it'd completely gently caress the tank unless it could be hauled to a full on depot, not a field workshop, because it required a shitton of heavy machinery to undo and fix all the fuckery (remove every last roadwheel on both sides, knockout and pull through each torsion bar, insert new torsion bars, replace most of the roadwheels). T-34s needed a field workshop and quite sometime to replace the inner coil springs, Shermans need a sledgehammer and a replacement component the VVSS/HVSS was a complete external suspension and was only bolted on and replacement could be done in 30 minutes in the field.

Panther suspension, which is an even worse nightmare than the Tigers.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Yes, serious.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm sure they waited until some helpless infanftry fired their rifles at them.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
At a range of 50m my shell goes nowhere the gently caress near where my crosshair is, hits a friendly, then my target disables me with the first shot. gently caress you, WT.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I've seen that in AI project threads so I'm willing to say yes

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Subyng posted:

At a range of 50m my shell goes nowhere the gently caress near where my crosshair is, hits a friendly, then my target disables me with the first shot. gently caress you, WT.

Third person crosshair and first person view are incredibly unaligned and it's annoying as poo poo. Third person crosshair is also sticky and will allow you to pull some bullshit shots.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Not played since Christmas, what has changed? I see that the Hellcat got upped to 3.7 BR :unsmigghh:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Not played since Christmas, what has changed? I see that the Hellcat got upped to 3.7 BR :unsmigghh:

That happened less than a week ago. It was sitting pretty at 2.7 for a long time.

Meanwhile, the P-40 is inexplicably still at 3.3.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Nothing like suffering packet loss while in a dive, having the plane spaz out and smashing into the ground. :suicide:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Yes because that is honestly where it belongs. The britcat at 4.0 is in a good tier.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Michaellaneous posted:

Yes because that is honestly where it belongs. The britcat at 4.0 is in a good tier.

Don't get me wrong, this is fantastic. Flying against Hellcats was my biggest gripe in low tier matches. It's a good matchup for the F4.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
If you're flying the US 109 and come into contact with a German BF109, sometimes it's fun to just turnfight them. Landing flaps, throttle off, the works. It surprises more than you'd think.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

If you're flying the US 109 and come into contact with a German BF109, sometimes it's fun to just turnfight them. Landing flaps, throttle off, the works. It surprises more than you'd think.

There is no greater WT pleasure than clowning German 109s in a U.S. 109.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Welp, looks like German tank teams have become just as unplayable as US and UK air teams, good job pubbies. I just wanted to drive a loving Panther for once in this event without having to take half the allied team on by myself because the rest of the team all got murdered in 5 minutes,

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Such a joy to fly. Outclimb nearly any teammate at your tier (in my experience), kill J.G.88 NERVES OF KRUPP STEEL Wehraboos :godwinning:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I got teamkilled at the start of my last ARB event round because I had a white Star on my Panther, and 'germans would never try something dishonorable like that'. :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Community manager buttdare on reddit posted:

1) You will get into mixed battle if there is at least one person on your BR range queued for too long time on a specific server, which is also selected by you. That means if on RU/EU prime time you select SA/US servers - Matchmaker will often use you as a lift for players who selected only SA/US servers and are having bad time with queues! If you don't care about mixed battles that means you will get almost instant matches. If you want to play without mixed battles - uncheck servers that currently may have low player population!

2) Matchmaker always peffers to put people with longer queue in the battle when possible, which means if there are enough players playing - there are no chance of mixed battles happening, since no one will get longer than average queue time.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ludicro posted:

Welp, looks like German tank teams have become just as unplayable as US and UK air teams, good job pubbies. I just wanted to drive a loving Panther for once in this event without having to take half the allied team on by myself because the rest of the team all got murdered in 5 minutes,

Research Internet friends. They're op.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I was awarded the gladiator achievement even though I haven't done any of the tanking parts of the achievement (kill tanks and kill planes as AA). Is this normal or did I get a lucky bug? Also are there two planes? A white one and a green one? The slot where the gladiator is on the British tree has two planes, but only shows the reward one when I click on it.

Edit: is it normal for it to take forever to get into a realistic tank battle with just the reserves? Should I be playing arcade instead or something?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Broose posted:

I was awarded the gladiator achievement even though I haven't done any of the tanking parts of the achievement (kill tanks and kill planes as AA). Is this normal or did I get a lucky bug? Also are there two planes? A white one and a green one? The slot where the gladiator is on the British tree has two planes, but only shows the reward one when I click on it.

Edit: is it normal for it to take forever to get into a realistic tank battle with just the reserves? Should I be playing arcade instead or something?

In order: You only have to do 5 of the 7, so WAD
The gladiator slot has another in-tree but not available plane, I think.
Define "forever." Queue time for realistic is usually higher than for arcade, but anything less than a couple minutes is expected.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

mlmp08 posted:

Research Internet friends. They're op.

I was under the impression all the goons were playing Russians in the event?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

In order: You only have to do 5 of the 7, so WAD
The gladiator slot has another in-tree but not available plane, I think.
Define "forever." Queue time for realistic is usually higher than for arcade, but anything less than a couple minutes is expected.

Thank you. Forever is defined as >5 minutes. One time I waited for 7 minutes before giving up and just doing arcade. I've never actually played a single realistic tank match.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Ludicro posted:

You must have some poo poo luck, because the Germans are winning every game I'm in. The Allies are unplayable because there are just not enough big guns on the field to deal with the German's armor at range. In theory, the game allows the Allies some big guns, but not a lot of people actually have t. So you end up with games where half the team can't fight the Germans at the range the maps require.

Eastern Europe: Break is especially bad about this, because the Germans can light up the Allies as soon as they try to roll out of their spawn.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

This, but against lovely La-5 players and every SpitVb ever. Be warned however, it can be hard to see your target when their tears are splashing all over your windshield.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You must have some poo poo luck, because the Germans are winning every game I'm in. The Allies are unplayable because there are just not enough big guns on the field to deal with the German's armor at range. In theory, the game allows the Allies some big guns, but not a lot of people actually have t. So you end up with games where half the team can't fight the Germans at the range the maps require.

Eastern Europe: Break is especially bad about this, because the Germans can light up the Allies as soon as they try to roll out of their spawn.

Must be some bad luck, yesterday Germans won about half the matches I played so it felt pretty balanced. Today they haven't even won a quarter. With that being said I have noticed is that yesterday German teams were mostly comprised of Panthers, Ferdinands and Tigers, but today it seems to be mostly Panthers, Tiger II Ps and the odd Tiger or Jadgpanther here and there (and holy gently caress does the Jagdpanther have a glaring weakness). On top of that rather than going wide and waiting for the Allies to close in and outflank the poo poo out of them, German pubbies today have been charging right on in. On a more positive note I've finally got APCR for my Panther A which is making dealing with the endless number of IS2s and SU100s a lot easier.

There have been some good moments of teamwork at least.

http://gfycat.com/AstonishingThankfulAmericanbobtail

Also another thing to add to the list of poo poo that pisses me off to no end.

Its not so bad on something like the Panther, but on something that has an agonizingly slow elevation/depression speed that is trying to peek out of cover it can literally be the difference between life and death (usually death). Its one of the many reasons I ditched the Tiger II P and went back to the Panther. For example in the above gif, if a T34 drove out behind that house in front of me and I had turned my turret to fire on him, instead of putting a round through the side of his hill, instead I would launch a round at the bridge in the distance, or alternatively in the couple of seconds it takes to depress my gun back down said T34 puts a round through my turret.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ludicro posted:

Also another thing to add to the list of poo poo that pisses me off to no end.

Unfortunately that is how gaijin set up third person view that allows you to do shots impossible from first person.

Speaking of first person: it probably doesn't do that if you press 'v' or whatever to use the scope/iron sights, and will probably be less bad in 3rd person the more zoomed in on your tank your view is, reducing parallax or some poo poo.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
It's the obvious way for a third-person crosshair to work, after all. Would you prefer it to not aim at the thing your cursor is on?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Unfortunately that is how gaijin set up third person view that allows you to do shots impossible from first person.

Shells still come from the same place, friend, the view is just changed.

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011

Ludicro posted:

I was under the impression all the goons were playing Russians in the event?

Nope, playing some German in the event, losing every game as usual, Wehraboos never change

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Hah. What next, are Gaijin going to remove the Ferdinand from the event or something :haw:

Oh :smith:

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Ralith posted:

And hitting them probably sets off any explosive charge component of your shell early, too.

And your crew can do it in thirty seconds under fire!

Bump butts with a squad mate and it's 10 seconds!

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_of_the_Fatherland_Day

Where's my loving holiday discounts Gaijin?!?!:argh:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I like how by the time you hit BR6 in tanks Germans play nothing but Tigers and just lose over and over and over and over :allears:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I've noticed that teams with large numbers of M26 Pershings tend to win more often than not. The combination of a gun good enough to deal with the heaviest German tanks and 2 respawns tends to do wonders. I cringe if there are too many IS-2s because they tend to just die off without landing a hit.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Right here fucker:
http://warthunder.ru/ru/news/11180-akciya-zashitniki-otechestva-ru
it's the same thing as the Gladiator event except renamed, and also no reference to the circled star decal lol

Also you can buy this pack which is a combination of the Lagg and Guards starter packs with a $2 discount :shrug:
https://online.gaijinent.com/story.php?title=War-Thunder_Defenders-Advanced-Pack-4

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

BBJoey posted:

Right here fucker:
http://warthunder.ru/ru/news/11180-akciya-zashitniki-otechestva-ru
it's the same thing as the Gladiator event except renamed, and also no reference to the circled star decal lol

Also you can buy this pack which is a combination of the Lagg and Guards starter packs with a $2 discount :shrug:
https://online.gaijinent.com/story.php?title=War-Thunder_Defenders-Advanced-Pack-4

That's pack I bought before as it was cheaper, I was wanting the "victory is ours" pack to be on sale :negative:

Bit the bullet and bought the latter anyway, also spent some eagles on getting the P-40E-1 and it was just :magical: in my first arcade battle with stealth ammo. I was tearing enemy aircraft both bombers and fighters to bits with them.

Those six freedom guns are some serious poo poo :911:.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've never played ground forces outside arcade, but if it doesnt require one hand moving the tanks with WASD and the other manually aiming the turret with IJKL or whatever then lmao.

Also

mlmp08 posted:

There is no greater WT pleasure than clowning German 109s in a U.S. 109.

Ditto with Jug/Hitlerbolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

tfw you do no damage after hitting 3 of a Tiger's ammo racks with APHE

• Locked thread