Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

E: Oh, and these Sedici helmets are carbon fiber per my boss. A $300 carbon fiber helmet :frog:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-window-pure-carbon-helmet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pope Mobile posted:

Funny you should mention the BT45; they're going on package deal sale next month (still not less than 130 though).

E: Oh, and these Sedici helmets are carbon fiber per my boss. A $300 carbon fiber helmet :frog:

Carbon is basically more expensive fiberglass these days, thanks to improvements in ease of use making stuff out of it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Color me surprised. Guess I was just used to looking at the AGV Pista helmet.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Looking for a modular helmet, upper price limit is likely going to be in the $400 ish range, any input would be helpful as it's been a "few" years since I've shopped for a bucket.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I've got a Lazer Monaco (not exactly the price range, but they have the same basic one for about $400) and I love it.

Have been wearing it now for about a year and have had no issues. It's comfortable and works great for me.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Lynza posted:

I've got a Lazer Monaco (not exactly the price range, but they have the same basic one for about $400) and I love it.

Have been wearing it now for about a year and have had no issues. It's comfortable and works great for me.

I have been out of the helmet market for awhile, although there are a few names I recognize (Bell, Shoei), but not many, so I don't have much of an idea who's who in the balance of quality/price lately. My god has Shoei gotten impressed with their product! The last Shoei I bought maybe 7 years ago was around $200.

I don't know it seems to fit in to the price range pretty well, Revzilla has them at 40-42% off right now; http://www.revzilla.com/modular-motorcycle-helmets#v2-facets%5B%5D=1796&page=1&page_size=96&sort=featured&tab=all

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Restrained and better shape overall, or violent full retard art (and if the latter, which color mirror shield)?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Definitely a gold visor for the Icon IMO.

http://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-and-accessories/motorcycle-headwear/helmet-visor/icon-standard-full-face-motorcycle-helmet-faceshield

The RST Dark Gold or the Green would both look pretty legit.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I honestly can't ride in anything other than photochromatic anymore. It costs less than buying two separate visors and saves you the obnoxiousness of carrying/changing to your clear visor when it turns dark.

Get the Bell, since for the DLX model it comes standard.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here have experience with Olympia brand gear? I was thinking about picking up this jacket for riding around Seattle (moderate summer heat, and wet winters):

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-nomad-jacket

Good buy?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm a fan of obnoxious mirrored visors, though. (also I don't ride much at night anymore)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am interested in helmet bluetooth, I want something with controls on the steering wheel handlebars for music, what are my options? I see there is a Uclear WT300 but it appears to only put a PTT button on the handlebar, I have also found the Sena 10u which just looks like pretty big to be hanging off the handlebars, and a remote for the Interphone F5 system but I know nothing about Interphone.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 22, 2015

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

tirinal posted:

I honestly can't ride in anything other than photochromatic anymore. It costs less than buying two separate visors and saves you the obnoxiousness of carrying/changing to your clear visor when it turns dark.

Get the Bell, since for the DLX model it comes standard.

A $120 helmet becomes $270 here in Canada when equipped with that fancy visor.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Gold, definitely gold.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am interested in helmet bluetooth, I want something with controls on the steering wheel for music, what are my options? I see there is a Uclear WT300 but it appears to only put a PTT button on the handlebar, I have also found the Sena 10u which just looks like pretty big to be hanging off the handlebars, and a remote for the Interphone F5 system but I know nothing about Interphone.

I'm not sure why you'd want it on your bike, so I can't really suggest something specific for that. I use a Sena 10hr (or something) that's BT and sticks on my helmet. You can just use your left hand on your helmet to answer calls, forward/back songs and raise or lower the volume. I love it, and it's got an intercom that works great to talk to other people.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Lynza posted:

I'm not sure why you'd want it on your bike

Helmet stick on is not bad, but if I am getting new BT, might as well keep my hands on the handlebars, right? I would at least like to be able answer calls without releasing the handlebars, it just seems safer to me, it's ironic i know.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

Helmet stick on is not bad, but if I am getting new BT, might as well keep my hands on the handlebars, right? I would at least like to be able answer calls without releasing the handlebars, it just seems safer to me, it's ironic i know.

I'd say a situation where it's not safe for you to have one hand off the bars for two seconds isn't a situation you should be answering the phone in anyway.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Also, I haven't tried it, but according to the Sena manual it has voice answering so it would be totally hands free anyways.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Koruthaiolos posted:

Also, I haven't tried it, but according to the Sena manual it has voice answering so it would be totally hands free anyways.

It does

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'd say a situation where it's not safe for you to have one hand off the bars for two seconds isn't a situation you should be answering the phone in anyway.

Holy poo poo, I need to go trade my motorcycle for a Toyota right now.

Sorry, you're correct that helmet BT is less safe than not making a phone call on a bike. But if a rider chooses to have BT I can't agree that having to remove your hands from the handlebar could possibly be more safe than handlebar controls.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 22, 2015

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Outside Dawg posted:

Looking for a modular helmet, upper price limit is likely going to be in the $400 ish range, any input would be helpful as it's been a "few" years since I've shopped for a bucket.

I have a Scorpion Exo-900 Transformer modular and I really like it. It's very comfortable and is perfect if you have glasses like I do. Revzilla has it at a very good price right now too: http://www.revzilla.com/product/scorpion-exo-900-transformer-helmet

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Dr. Light posted:

I have a Scorpion Exo-900 Transformer modular and I really like it. It's very comfortable and is perfect if you have glasses like I do. Revzilla has it at a very good price right now too: http://www.revzilla.com/product/scorpion-exo-900-transformer-helmet

That looks like an awesome helmet, I want a modular with open face options for those long empty stretches of highway in 100F weather. That said, I had my local Cycle Gear order in a Shark Evoline, have you compared the scorpion to the shark? There are some features that look great on the scorpion (like the price) but I think I will like the self contained aspect of the shark a little better.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I will never understand wanting to have your face exposed to desert wind at high speed. That poo poo just makes you even more hot.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Crotch Fruit posted:

That looks like an awesome helmet, I want a modular with open face options for those long empty stretches of highway in 100F weather. That said, I had my local Cycle Gear order in a Shark Evoline, have you compared the scorpion to the shark? There are some features that look great on the scorpion (like the price) but I think I will like the self contained aspect of the shark a little better.

As someone who will be riding in 115F temps in just a few months, keep the full mask on. The vents keep you cool enough to not pass out. Opening the front just lets more misery in.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Crotch Fruit posted:

Sorry, you're correct that helmet BT is less safe than not making a phone call on a bike. But if a rider chooses to have BT I can't agree that having to remove your hands from the handlebar could possibly be more safe than handlebar controls.

You're still taking your hand off the controls to fiddle with a little remote thing :ssh:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I tried to have a phone conversation when riding once and I ended up pulling over almost immediately cause it took way too much of my concentration away from riding. Music is one thing, but actually having to listen, process, and respond was too distracting.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

IIRC I think some studies have found that even hands-free phone conversations while driving a car impair driving considerably. Something about conversing with a person who is not there really messes with your brain.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

alnilam posted:

IIRC I think some studies have found that even hands-free phone conversations while driving a car impair driving considerably. Something about conversing with a person who is not there really messes with your brain.

Yeah, iirc they tested out worse than people high on pot.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

alnilam posted:

Interesting, but I'd believe it. The few times I've had phone calls on the bike it was super distracting. Talking with my friend Sena -> Sena when he's right up ahead feels much more natural though.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

I haven't tried the Shark, but that looks like a nice helmet too. I mainly got a modular to make it easier for me to put the helmet on and off without having to worry about removing my glasses beforehand, so I never use it in the 3/4 setup.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

I use a bluetooth thing myself. The point I was making is that you will often have your hands off the bars for longer than that (adjusting visor or vents, checking zips, making appropriate gestures at other road users, etc) and so presumably have the common sense to not do that in situations where you need both hands on the bars (heavy traffic, slippery road conditions, other road users attempting to assassinate you) and those are not the situations where you should be answering a phone call, no matter how the button to do so is mounted.

alnilam posted:

Also the noise on mobile phones seems to take up far more processing time in your brain than talking to someone next to you. Weirdly this isn't anywhere near as much an issue with analogue and POTS phones (although presumably you'd need a hell of an extension cord for the latter) - if you play people an audio stream of someone talking with white noise interjected they can understand it much more easily than with silence interjected. One theory is that our brains are adapted to dealing with wind noise and stuff and can filter it out efficiently but can't cope with silences.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

El Jebus posted:

As someone who will be riding in 115F temps in just a few months, keep the full mask on.
As someone who did it once, yes. I agree with this. When it's over 100 ambient, you actually want to keep it off your skin.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I use a bluetooth thing myself. The point I was making is that you will often have your hands off the bars for longer than that (adjusting visor or vents, checking zips, making appropriate gestures at other road users, etc) and so presumably have the common sense to not do that in situations where you need both hands on the bars (heavy traffic, slippery road conditions, other road users attempting to assassinate you) and those are not the situations where you should be answering a phone call, no matter how the button to do so is mounted.

Also the noise on mobile phones seems to take up far more processing time in your brain than talking to someone next to you. Weirdly this isn't anywhere near as much an issue with analogue and POTS phones (although presumably you'd need a hell of an extension cord for the latter) - if you play people an audio stream of someone talking with white noise interjected they can understand it much more easily than with silence interjected. One theory is that our brains are adapted to dealing with wind noise and stuff and can filter it out efficiently but can't cope with silences.

Considering how many near-crashes I've witnessed just from people talking to the person sitting next to them in a car, and the fact that bikes are so much more dangerous and require so much more concentration just makes it seem like talking on the phone is a terrible idea in general.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Considering how many near-crashes I've witnessed just from people talking to the person sitting next to them in a car, and the fact that bikes are so much more dangerous and require so much more concentration just makes it seem like talking on the phone is a terrible idea in general.

I wouldn't argue with that, to be honest. Unless I'm on the motorway my conversations are generally just quick "Yeah I'm on the bike, call you back in a bit" sort of things because we all know how quickly poo poo can go sideways out of nowhere on a bike. The Bluetooth is mostly for music and for when I'm on call at work and get a massive bollocking if I don't answer the phone.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I can completely agree there are a lot of times where conversing on a bike or answering a call are a bad idea, I just don't agree that having a button on he handlebars is less safe. Sure it's more convenient and possibly more distracting, but otherwise I think it is inherently safer to move your thumb instead of your whole arm, just have to be responsible.

Also I think it would be good for music since that might require more button presses, and more button presses seems like it would be safer with your hands on the handlebars.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As someone who did it once, yes. I agree with this. When it's over 100 ambient, you actually want to keep it off your skin.

Having a full face on during the summer in Texas is one of the few things that seems wrong, but can keep you significantly cooler. A lot of helmets have great venting these days and that combined with mesh gear will keep you from passing out.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

I can completely agree there are a lot of times where conversing on a bike or answering a call are a bad idea, I just don't agree that having a button on he handlebars is less safe. Sure it's more convenient and possibly more distracting, but otherwise I think it is inherently safer to move your thumb instead of your whole arm, just have to be responsible.

Also I think it would be good for music since that might require more button presses, and more button presses seems like it would be safer with your hands on the handlebars.

Anytime you need to have both hands on your handlebars is probably a bad time to be fiddling with your tunes anyways.

And if you can't handle going down a stretch of straight highway with your left hand off the bar, you are a tremendously bad rider. It's seriously no big thing to take your left hand off the bar when you're just cruising along on the freeway. You can ride for hours like that with no issue.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
What is the loving problem with believing that riding with both hands is safer than riding with one hand? Holy poo poo people. I can ride one handed, I do occasionally ride one handed, but the handlebars have two grips for a reason. It's pretty hosed up logic to say that moving only a thumb is more dangerous than releasing one of the grips and reaching up to my head. Of course it would be bad in heavy traffic, of course both are unsafe, but how the hell is moving my thumb only more dangerous than releasing the grip and grabbing my helmet?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 23, 2015

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Crotch Fruit posted:

What is the loving problem with believing that riding with both hands is safer than riding with one hand? Holy poo poo people. I can ride one handed, I do occasionally ride one handed, but the handlebars have two grips for a reason. It's pretty hosed up logic to say that moving only a thumb is more dangerous than releasing one of the grips and reaching up to my head. Of course it would be bad in heavy traffic, of course both are unsafe, but how the hell is moving my thumb only more dangerous than releasing the grip and grabbing my helmet?

Because there is no magic "button" that you can reach from the grips that is going to have all the commands you need to control a Bluetooth communications system. At the very least you are going to need to look down to find those buttons. Taking your eyes off the road is more dangerous. On my Sena there is a volume control, play/pause, track up/track down, and answer button. Its all controlled via the jog dial which is stupid easy to use via feel. It's as easy to work as it is to work the visor on your helmet.

I used to have a handlebar mount control that worked wirelessly to control an older iPhone in my jacket pocket. I always had to look down to work it. There's a reason why all the good helmet comms system integrate the controls into the helmet. It just works better. I had the wireless remote for my helmet mounted GoPro on the handlebars. It wasn't convenient and I just ended up turning the camera on at the beginning of each ride rather than flicking it on before an interesting stretch of road.

Hell, does anyone even make a system that uses a PTT handle bar control that isn't a mess of wires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Crotch Fruit posted:

You're going to move more than a thumb unless you're going to build yourself a custom housing for your blinkers, hazards, horn, and bluetooth remote.