Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Maybe you could post a guide so us idiots can figure it out?

Not that I've ever had a non-Nexus Samsung phone, but pretty much every time someone posts this it gets refuted. I'd love to see how many hoops you have to jump through, though.
Also keep count of the number of preinstalled Samsung apps need to be disabled, the number of broken Samsung exclusive "features" that default to enabled that need to be disabled (fingerprint scanner, eye tracking, etc.), and the number of additional apps you need to install.

As a bonus point out any utilities you need to download specifically to janitor the phone (like a file browser to access the SD card).

Then take screenshots of the horrible garbage that can't be fixed like the ridiculous Settings pane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I mean, we could do that, or we could not go on another Samsung tangent.

We get it, lots of people don't like Samsung and feel very strongly about it. You don't need to publicly ridicule them every time the company or one of its phones is mentioned. Go play a video game or read a book. Better yet, unbookmark this thread and don't come back for a year or two, because it can't be a positive influence on your own life to be constantly complaining.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This is the Android thread. If we eliminated talking about how lovely Samsung is there wouldn't be anything left to discuss.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

LastInLine posted:

This is the Android thread. If we eliminated talking about how lovely Samsung is there wouldn't be anything left to discuss.

Other than like, good phone deals, or phone recommendations, or getting help with weird app issues, or asking questions about how to something that a novice user isn't familiar with, or talk about upcoming phone models

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Plus complaining about lollipop even though it's by far the best version of Android yet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Reverse Centaur posted:

Plus complaining about lollipop even though it's by far the best version of Android yet.

It's the Vista between XP and 7.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Pinball posted:

Speaking of battery life, does anyone have a 2012 Nexus 7 who can tell me how to improve its battery life? It's updated to Lollipop, and now it's stuttery, slow, and can barely last a day with full battery. I've cleared the cache several times and it doesn't seem to help.

Replacing it.

Not the battery, the tablet. Buy something else. I know the Nexus 9 isn't all that loved around here, but the size works for me, so it's been a great replacement.

I don't know that there are any other solutions, the 2012 got screwed with poor hardware.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FAUXTON posted:

I thought Gingerbread was the Vista of Android.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Lollipop doesn't loving work, so it's Windows ME.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Nah man I'd vote ICS on that. So much promise and show when it was announced and it was a buggy mess that every android device skipped save the nexuses

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grimson posted:

Other than like, good phone deals, or phone recommendations, or getting help with weird app issues, or asking questions about how to something that a novice user isn't familiar with, or talk about upcoming phone models
We have threads for apps and phone recommendations and phone deals aren't really good in this thread either.

We answer questions for novices all the time, although given that Android is the commodity smartphone OS there are fewer and fewer novices with questions.

As for upcoming releases, now that everyone's standardized on the Qualcomm SoCs and Samsung has stopped making GBS threads out a new model every three days due to their profits and sales cratering there isn't much to discuss. No one should ever buy a non-flagship anyway so there are what, five or six models a year worth discussing?

This is a thread with a lot of downtime about an ecosystem filled to brim with cheaply made and poorly supported poo poo. To avoid repeatedly talking about how lovely it is would leave very few topics to talk about.

FAUXTON posted:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Whizbang posted:

Lollipop doesn't loving work, so it's Windows ME.
We can at least agree that Android is the Windows of phones because no matter what version you have it's ugly and non-functional.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Eh it's more like windows 98 before 98SE because 5.1 is gonna fix everything right? ...right? :ohdear:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Ugh I meant Honeycomb was Vista. I'm not good at posting.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Here's good discussion: why does every version of chrome blow. On my desktop it chews up ram and on my phone I have to close or open a tab to get pages to load or, very often, deal with 10-15 sec load times.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Here's good discussion: why does every version of chrome blow. On my desktop it chews up ram and on my phone I have to close or open a tab to get pages to load or, very often, deal with 10-15 sec load times.
This is a good question. What I like is that on mobile or desktop, Windows or OS X, that it never 100% just works as intended.

On OS X a year or two ago gifs just didn't animate randomly. Disable the Pepper Flash, install Flash from Adobe, and gifs were fine. Then the problem just went away. Now if I leave it open for a week or so it starts to develop incredibly laggy scrolling but usually only if the other profile on the computer has used Chrome recently.

At work I have two Windows 7 computers where I spend my time. On one machine I frequently get the message upon logging in that Chrome cannot load my profile. I have to open the Task Manager, kill a billion Chrome processes (how? I just logged in!) and then Chrome will load. On the other machine this never happens but what does happen is that Chrome will just crash entirely. Not a single tab or process but everything just closes and disappears. I should note here that these are physically identical machines on the same corporate image running the same webpages and extensions. Both I've destroyed and rebuilt the profiles several times in an attempt to fix them.

Of course to bring it back to Android I had trouble for about a year on KitKat where if I was opening the first tab from a bookmark it would never actually display the loaded page unless I opened a second tab and loaded something in it (which would also load but not display), then switched back to the original tab. This meant if I didn't always keep an open, loaded tab in Chrome I could never just open and use it. (This might be what you meant in your post but I haven't had it happen in Lollipop, only on KitKat. Try disabling putting tabs in the App Switcher and see if that works.) And you are doubly right about slow load times.

My work is transitioning people from IE8 to Firefox so I think I'm going to actually give that a try once they do. I've always hated Firefox's font rendering but I need something that works on OS X, Windows, and Android it truly is the only other option.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Alarbus posted:

Replacing it.

Not the battery, the tablet. Buy something else. I know the Nexus 9 isn't all that loved around here, but the size works for me, so it's been a great replacement.

I don't know that there are any other solutions, the 2012 got screwed with poor hardware.

drat, really? It was so awesome for so long - quick, with beautiful graphics - and then all of a sudden it just went to poo poo. I didn't use it for much - watching movies, reading, and web browsing - but I liked having it. How fast is the Nexus 9? Is the build quality comparable?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was using Chrome yesterday on my Nexus 5 right after booting up and I commited the cardinal sin of selecting a tab before it had a chance to load up all of my tabs I had opened and it just straight up blew them all up and left me with 1 tab. That was a lot of wikipedia articles I had saved for later reading.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eej posted:

I was using Chrome yesterday on my Nexus 5 right after booting up and I commited the cardinal sin of selecting a tab before it had a chance to load up all of my tabs I had opened and it just straight up blew them all up and left me with 1 tab. That was a lot of wikipedia articles I had saved for later reading.
They'll all be in your history on every device though.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Also keep count of the number of preinstalled Samsung apps need to be disabled, the number of broken Samsung exclusive "features" that default to enabled that need to be disabled (fingerprint scanner, eye tracking, etc.), and the number of additional apps you need to install.

As a bonus point out any utilities you need to download specifically to janitor the phone (like a file browser to access the SD card).

Then take screenshots of the horrible garbage that can't be fixed like the ridiculous Settings pane.

You hate Samsung so much, yet can't be bothered to get a single thing right.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

And yet if I had to choose between "the guy who is wrong" and "the guy who likes Samsung," there would be so much common ground.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Ugh I meant Honeycomb was Vista. I'm not good at posting.

Honeycomb is some wack-rear end hardware-specific version. Like the Windows CE that the Dreamcast used.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

At least he has concrete complaints. Your reason for posting in here lately seems to be "I don't like LastInLine's opinions".

I mean, just stop posting if your reason for posting is to snipe someone you disagree with. It's not like Samsung needs you to defend their bottom line. They're going to continue to sell a bazillion units.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm the first that owns a samsung phone and removed touchwiz because it's poo poo but I admit that I'm a sperg. I see samsung users everywhere wich are fine with their phones and look me like I'm crazy because I like stock android and lose all the features they don't use. Well, I also own a Windows phone so yes, I'm weird :D

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Most people don't have a problem with Comic Sans as their system font, either.

Obviously most people are inferior, but whaddya going to do?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Pinball posted:

drat, really? It was so awesome for so long - quick, with beautiful graphics - and then all of a sudden it just went to poo poo. I didn't use it for much - watching movies, reading, and web browsing - but I liked having it.

You could try going back to KitKat first. See that makes it more usable.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

At least he has concrete complaints. Your reason for posting in here lately seems to be "I don't like LastInLine's opinions".

I mean, just stop posting if your reason for posting is to snipe someone you disagree with. It's not like Samsung needs you to defend their bottom line. They're going to continue to sell a bazillion units.

It's not his opinions I don't like, it's that his concrete complaints are anything but. That is the point of my last post, not one of the things he complained about in the quoted post is true, except his dislike for the settings pane. I mean, Samsung phones have always shipped with a file browser, someone who hates them that much should know that, and that all the Samsung poo poo, including the scanners, is disabled by default.

I'm not here to defend the honor of Touchwiz. Plenty of people here hate it and that's fine, but if you're gonna claim to hate it for a specific reason, then make sure it's actually a real reason. I'm sure if I claimed you needed extra apps to run a Z3 out of the box, a Z3 owner would correct me. By the 20th time I claimed the same thing, he'd probably not bother and just tell me I'm wrong.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Most people don't have a problem with Comic Sans as their system font, either.

Obviously most people are inferior, but whaddya going to do?

Impact, I know a coworker who has a loving meme of a phone. Memes as wallpaper, meme generators, meme avatars... :suicide:

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Thermopyle posted:

Android Thread - Obviously most people are inferior

i like that

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So, what phones out there have the least amount of manufacturer bullshit thrown on top of Android?

Do all phones now have the swipe up to Google Now?

Trying to get my wife to get a Moto X for her upgrade, but I was wondering if there were any comparable alternatives to that from Verizon.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Doctor Butts posted:

So, what phones out there have the least amount of manufacturer bullshit thrown on top of Android?

Trying to get my wife to get a Moto X for her upgrade, but I was wondering if there were any comparable alternatives to that from Verizon.

For Verizon, the Droid Turbo. It has all the features of the Moto X plus a stupid large battery and a higher res screen. Mostly stock android, the only additions are the really helpful Moto stuff.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

I'd recommend the Turbo over the X. It's the same size and has the same (very nice) software tweaks, but you get a huge battery, an included turbo charger, and a better camera (I think. Someone yell at me if I'm wrong here).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

e: nm

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

It's not his opinions I don't like, it's that his concrete complaints are anything but. That is the point of my last post, not one of the things he complained about in the quoted post is true, except his dislike for the settings pane.

I think you missed my point. Your post was just as useless as a wrong post.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
Ok maybe this is really obvious and easy to find but searching hasn't helped..

How the hell can I set slides/docs to open files from the downloads folder? When I download PowerPoint files or word docs or whatever, i just get a "can't open file" message, but if I go into slides or adobe reader or docs I can open it manually just fine. I had office mobile installed and it didn't work then, so I uninstalled and reset app permissions but it still doesn't work.

Like, I guess its only just slightly inconvenient but it used to work fine. This is 5.0.1

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh how times have changed.

Google Wallet will come pre-installed on T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T android phones.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't know if this is better sutied here or the app thread:

My Google Now is half-broken.

If I go to Google Now, my cards are all there and working fine, but I can't get Google Now (or I guess Google Search?) to do anything. Typing in or giving a voice command does nothing. It just sits there with the command/search term entered, but not giving any results/doing any action.

Similar result if I try to give a command, like add a new reminder:

(This is after I hit the hamburger menu and selected "reminders" and then just hit the "+" button, which then jsut auto-fills the search bar with "Add Reminder."

Got an HTC One M7, Google Play Edition, running 5.0.1.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know if this is better sutied here or the app thread:

My Google Now is half-broken.

If I go to Google Now, my cards are all there and working fine, but I can't get Google Now (or I guess Google Search?) to do anything. Typing in or giving a voice command does nothing. It just sits there with the command/search term entered, but not giving any results/doing any action.
Sounds like something may be up with your "Google" app. Try clearing its settings, reverting app updates, etc.

See also: How to change the default search engine in Android

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Looks like Google is buying some assets of Softcard.

http://googlecommerce.blogspot.com/2015/02/tap-tap-whos-there-google-wallet-and.html

e: f,b

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 23, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bull3964 posted:

Oh how times have changed.

Google Wallet will come pre-installed on T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T android phones.

If they don't have the banks on board it is still going to be useless, sorry, I don't want to funnel all my transactions through a pre-paid debit card when I have a bank account and a credit card that I get points on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Depending what Softcard stuff they use, you should be able to. When I originally looked into Softcard/ISIS they could link directly to my WellsFargo credit card. But not my debit/bank account for some reason.