Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

In this chapter of Takagi-san, Takagi does not fight fair! She's using her feminine wiles!

She didn't say that her offer to hold hands was a joke. Doesn't that mean they actually held hands on their way back home that day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

JosephWongKS posted:

She didn't say that her offer to hold hands was a joke. Doesn't that mean they actually held hands on their way back home that day?

They did in my mind.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is one of my favorite manga series and to find out that a group has recently been releasing chapters has brought me out of despair! Here's a sample chapter:http://bato.to/read/_/298177/sayonara-zetsubou-sensei_ch192_by_moy-moe-scanlations/1

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

They did in my mind.

Same.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is one of my favorite manga series and to find out that a group has recently been releasing chapters has brought me out of despair! Here's a sample chapter:http://bato.to/read/_/298177/sayonara-zetsubou-sensei_ch192_by_moy-moe-scanlations/1

SZS and how it pulled off it's ending was goddamn amazing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fabricated posted:

If Mashima picked up anything from his tutelage under Oda, it's how to make a lot of interesting looking and varied characters. Fairy Tail is generally low-rent One Piece (well, low-rent compared to Enies Lobby era; now it's about on par I'd say) but the dude draws pretty badass dragons and makes interesting LOOKING characters when it's not all fanservice and new mysterious asspull attacks.

Mashima wasnt Oda's assistant. I think they both worked under the Watskuki on Kenshin at the same time though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

KoB posted:

Mashima wasnt Oda's assistant. I think they both worked under the Watskuki on Kenshin at the same time though.

Allarion posted:

Anyways, to clear it up since it's a common rumor that gets reiterated everywhere, Mashima and Oda have never worked together on anything. Mashima has never been an assistant for anyone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

KoB posted:

It just seems to be a thing where different shounen authors have similar art styles besides having no connection, probably from working off a similar training background or drawing inspiration from the same source. On the other hand, Kishimoto's brother has a very similar art style but hasn't really had much success since his only major work was a Naruto meets Jewish Mysticism series that didn't even make it to 100 chapters.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

pentyne posted:

It just seems to be a thing where different shounen authors have similar art styles besides having no connection, probably from working off a similar training background or drawing inspiration from the same source. On the other hand, Kishimoto's brother has a very similar art style but hasn't really had much success since his only major work was a Naruto meets Jewish Mysticism series that didn't even make it to 100 chapters.

Eh, 666 Satan was a monthly series. It lasted like 6 years. Which is pretty solid for almost any series. Then again FMA was a pretty big failure as it only made it to 108 chapters :v:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Out of the two, I'd read 666 Satan again in a heartbeat.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

http://bato.to/read/_/299561/sayonara-zetsubou-sensei_ch288_by_moy-moe-scanlations/11

I never thought I'd live to see the day that Mr. Bean of all things would get referenced in a manga.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Mr. Bean transcends culture boundaries.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dexo posted:

Eh, 666 Satan was a monthly series. It lasted like 6 years. Which is pretty solid for almost any series. Then again FMA was a pretty big failure as it only made it to 108 chapters :v:

I only remember it making waves because Naruto fans were extremely abusive towards M.Kishi's twin brother and it lead to M.Kishi publicly stating he had absolutely no problem with 666 Satan and telling people to stop attacking S.Kishi for plagiarism/ripping off Naruto.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter of Torture Mistress Takagi - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Karakai-Jouzu-no-Takagi-san/Vol-002-Ch-017--Dream?id=219458

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Holy poo poo, she has Freddy Kreuger powers.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere and I find it a shame that no one seemingly knows about Luck Stealer. It's one of my favorite series and you should check it out.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm not sure if it's Shounen or Seinen, but I started reading Neuro. It's really good. Has the creator done anything other than it and Assassination Classroom?

Also I'm not that far in yet but Sasazuka really seems to be waving death flags around early.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I'm not sure if it's Shounen or Seinen, but I started reading Neuro. It's really good. Has the creator done anything other than it and Assassination Classroom?

It was published in Jump so it's shounen. And going by his wikipedia page, no.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So I got to what I assume is the final story arc, where the villain is Sicks.

I wonder if it's intentional that he doesn't quite follow through with being 'absolute pure evil' by claiming afterwards that humans are his enemy and thus he is destroying them.

He does do some pretty nasty things (The getting a guy to vomit "6" in blood was pretty good) for sure but he really likes sniffing his own farts. :v:

Genocyber posted:

It was published in Jump so it's shounen. And going by his wikipedia page, no.

Aw, too bad. I'll definetly follow what he does after AC though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
For shounen, it sure does get grisly sometimes. I mean poo poo, Sicks' chair alone is probably too much for them to put on tv (not that it excuses the Neuro anime). I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop in assclass, because it is absolutely guaranteed that Koro's origin story is going to be unpleasant.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Kasai killed a dog, what a dick. Also RIP Sasazuka, you were too much of a chill, responsible cop to survive this kind of story.

Serious Frolicking posted:

For shounen, it sure does get grisly sometimes. I mean poo poo, Sicks' chair alone is probably too much for them to put on tv (not that it excuses the Neuro anime). I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop in assclass, because it is absolutely guaranteed that Koro's origin story is going to be unpleasant.

Yeah, now I feel it's certain that the last Nagasi story arc was aborted by the editors or something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Posted about this in the one manga page thread but it's probably worth mentioning here as well; Haru no Houtai Shoujo is a pretty nice mystery/drama/romance with a decent amount of twists and turnsr. The main character somehow is able to summon fire from his hand, but not in any way that he can control it which results in numerous complications and tragedies. It has a handful of story beats that really feel like the author was a fan of Persona 4 and in general just seems like something worth following in these dreary times.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
There's a bonus chapter of Takagi-san! It's about some other character. I kind of wish it was about Those Three Girls, though, they seem like an amusing bunch.

EDIT: Oh my god, the :witch: in the background in the title page.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I just got back into reading Sket Dance, and two new chapters were posted today. I gotta say, I was surprised to see a really respectful treatment of a transgender person in this shonen manga.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Anatharon posted:

So I got to what I assume is the final story arc

Didn't see anything after a cursory Google. AC is ending? Time to catch up I guess.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

Didn't see anything after a cursory Google. AC is ending? Time to catch up I guess.

I was referring to Neuro.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Anatharon posted:

I was referring to Neuro.

Oh. Watched the anime for it. Meh.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

Oh. Watched the anime for it. Meh.

You might like the manga if you didn't like the anime. They diverged a lot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Any opinions on Yozakura Quartet? I've read the first few chapters and so far it seems pretty decent and fun, with a good mix of being light-hearted sometimes and more serious others. The arcs being only 2-3 chapter stories so far rather than giant shounen slogs is also nice. Does it stay pretty consistent or take a nosedive at some point?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It stays pretty consistent yeah, though it seems to be adding more and more fanservice.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Posted about this in the one manga page thread but it's probably worth mentioning here as well; Haru no Houtai Shoujo is a pretty nice mystery/drama/romance with a decent amount of twists and turnsr. The main character somehow is able to summon fire from his hand, but not in any way that he can control it which results in numerous complications and tragedies. It has a handful of story beats that really feel like the author was a fan of Persona 4 and in general just seems like something worth following in these dreary times.

Thank you for this. Pretty drat great how the author handles the women cast.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

five new chapters of the cool ballroom dancing manga :eyepop:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ballroom-e-Youkoso/Vol-002-Ch-004--The-Prince-Mikasa-Cup?id=221370

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i like the ballroom dancers manga

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

coathat
May 21, 2007

You'd have to be an idiot to miss out on the latest Cats Eye. http://bato.to/read/_/305597/cats-eye_v11_ch74_by_happyscans

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tarezax posted:

I just got back into reading Sket Dance, and two new chapters were posted today. I gotta say, I was surprised to see a really respectful treatment of a transgender person in this shonen manga.

I might get into reading that once I'm all caught up with Gintama, since I hear it's very similar and I've really been enjoying Gintama. Even if all the humor doesn't stick, there's just so much of it that there end up being a bunch of funny moment regardless.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So since this thread is stuck in my Subscriptions List, I figure I might as well use it.

I was on another board and skimming over a discussion that made me curious to try Death Note. It's a shounen but from what I know it's nothing like the shounen I've grown so tired of. (battle shounen basically)

I was just curious about Anime vs. Manga? I hear there are some differences.

Also a side-question. DN was all the rage a few years back and I couldn't go on an any anime board without hearing talk about Light or L or whatever. (used to think they were the same person, "L" just being short for Light) But nobody says poo poo about it anymore. Why is that? Oh I've had a couple people tell me "it's old" but age is loving meaningless. For us goons, go look at the DBZ thread which is going strong in spite of being about an old-as-dirt manga/anime that was unbelievably shallow and dumb. I guess it's had some more modern incarnations but even still, it boggles my mind to remember five years ago and how everyone was over the moon about DN and now I hear nothing at all.

I wonder if Attack on Titan will end up the same way.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i like the ballroom dancers manga

the ballroom dancers manga has insanely sick art, its so good

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i still hear about death note about as much as any other series as old as it, i'd say. like yeah, it's not as popular as DBZ is nowadays, but DBZ is an institution, not just popular.

anyway, it's a good enough show, personally i recommend the anime but i don't think it matters much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
What Cake says. I also prefer the anime to the manga, if only for the dramatic chip-eating, but yeah, both are good. I suspect you'll know after a few episodes/chapters if it's not for you; it gets right into it.