Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

so im gon build a pc for my brother. its basically gon be browse, itunes.. maybe watch youtube?

is those intel chips with built in gfx gon be sufficient?

yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

yes

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

THE MAC MINI

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a good solution that costs far too much compared to a pc that would be an effective

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

a controversial view

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

yes!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hes got a fuckin ipad. thats why he needs a desktop (not a laptop) because ipads are fuckin worthless hunks of junk

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

dsyp :smugmrgw:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

just by whatever shitbox at best buyb becuas he won't appreciate a good one anyway

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
in the bo stank zone known as shsc there is a computer recommendation thread with good info in the op but my advice? get a decent brand laptop ex lease

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

spankmeister posted:

just by whatever shitbox at best buyb becuas he won't appreciate a good one anyway

best byob

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Just get a case that can house a full height pciex 16 card. If he wants to play rota or some poo poo a 750ti will work w most power supplies.

Why build though. Costco has good prebuilts for 399, with a 16x slot.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
what's a decent docsis 3 cable modem to get? comcast has started charging me $14/mo for one. these are apparently all the supported ones http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ but i don't really have anything to go on besides brand of which over half i've never heard of. ideally i could just get it no muss off amazon too.

tia

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

what's a decent docsis 3 cable modem to get? comcast has started charging me $14/mo for one. these are apparently all the supported ones http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ but i don't really have anything to go on besides brand of which over half i've never heard of. ideally i could just get it no muss off amazon too.

tia

Motorola SURFboard SB6141

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

definitely this

i got the retail version for seven bucks more: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS/dp/B00AJHDZSI/

(it has a warranty and the brown box one doesn't)

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I bought a fractal core 1000 per factory factory's recommendation. I just tucked a hard drive in the lower 5.25" bay without properly mounting it. There was some kind of piece of metal that looks like part of a mount, but I can't figure out how it works. Anyone know?

User manual was worthless. It just had the specs, no diagrams.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I bought a fractal core 1000 per factory factory's recommendation. I just tucked a hard drive in the lower 5.25" bay without properly mounting it. There was some kind of piece of metal that looks like part of a mount, but I can't figure out how it works. Anyone know?

User manual was worthless. It just had the specs, no diagrams.

Usually those are pretty easy to figure out, just find the set of holes that lines up with the threaded holse on the hard drive case. it kinda looks like youre suppoosed to mount the hard drives vertically in that case, where the rubber gaskets are on the removable vertical piece of metal that attaches to the 5.25" drive cage

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

Usually those are pretty easy to figure out, just find the set of holes that lines up with the threaded holse on the hard drive case. it kinda looks like youre suppoosed to mount the hard drives vertically in that case, where the rubber gaskets are on the removable vertical piece of metal that attaches to the 5.25" drive cage

I have drives mounted there. I was wondering if there was a way provided to mount a 3.5" hdd in one of the upper 5.25 bays.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I have drives mounted there. I was wondering if there was a way provided to mount a 3.5" hdd in one of the upper 5.25 bays.

if there's not an obvious way then maybe not, but you can get a 5.25 -> 3.5 bracket on newegg for a few dollars

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

hes got a fuckin ipad. thats why he needs a desktop (not a laptop) because ipads are fuckin worthless hunks of junk

quote:

SUGGESTED AND EXAMPLE BUILDS

SA Performance Gamer - A high-end gaming machine targeting 1080p, 40-60 FPS at High details on current titles

Intel Core i5-4590
H97 motherboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO heatsink
8 GB of DDR3-1600 CL9 RAM
GeForce GTX 760 2 GB or Radeon R9-280X 3 GB
250 GB SSD

SA Value Gamer - A compromise on the Performance Gamer targeting 1080p, 30+ FPS at Medium-ish details on current titles (or better performance at lower resolution)

Intel Core i3-4160
H97 motherboard
8 GB DDR3-1600 CL9 RAM
GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB or Radeon R7-265 2 GB
120 GB or 250 GB SSD

SA Penny-Pincher - PC gaming on a console budget, and console-like expectations of performance

Dell Outlet Inspiron 3847 (3000-series) with Intel Core i3 or i5 CPU, 8 GB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive
GeForce GTX 750 1 GB or 750 Ti 2 GB

Budget Barnburner – An inexpensive overclocking build that can punch way above its dollar weight
WARNING: A few new games, notably Dragon Age Inquisition and Ubisoft titles, are refusing to run on Pentium systems. This is arbitrary bullshit, but it's looking like they aren't fixing it.

Intel Pentium G3258*
ASRock Z97 Pro4* or if you really need to go cheap, an Asus H81, B85, H87, or H97 board
8 GB DDR3-2133 CL10 RAM
Radeon R9-280 3 GB or used R9-280X with transferable warranty

* If you have a Micro Center nearby, they do a doorbuster combo of a Pentium G3258 and a basic Z97 ATX motherboard for a mere $100, in-store only.

Luxury Overclocker - A high-end tweaker's build with high-end parts targeting 2560x1440, 50-60 FPS on Ultra details

Intel Core i5-4690K
Asus Maximus VII Gene
Phanteks TC14PE heatsink
8 GB DDR3-2133 CL10
GeForce GTX 970 4 GB
250 GB or 500 GB SSD

Luxury Non-Overclocker - A high-end build for non-tweakers with similar performance

Intel Core i7-4790K
ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Performance
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO heatsink
8 GB DDR3-1600 CL9
GeForce GTX 970 4 GB
250 GB or 500 GB SSD

Goonbox One - Console-sized gaming but a ton more power

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 case
Intel Core i5-4590S
ASRock H97M-ITX/ac
GeForce GTX 760 2 GB

SA Drivebox NAS - For putting tons of storage on your home network

Bitfenix Prodigy case
ASRock Q1900-ITX with Intel Celeron J1900 (quad-core Atom)
4 GB or more DDR3L-1333 (1.35V), or 8 GB for ZFS
(optional) Syba SY-PEX40039 PCIe SATA controller (ASMedia, two port)
(optional) StarTech USBMBADAPT2 USB header-to-ports adapter (for internal USB stick boot drive)
Up to four (six optional) SATA drives (can all be 3.5”, using optical bay)
SeaSonic SSR-360GP 360W power supply

SA Drivebox XL NAS - Did we call 4-6 drives "tons?" We can do better.

Silverstone DS380 case
ASRock C2750D4I with Intel Avoton C2750 (octo-core Atom)
8 GB DDR3L-1600 ECC UDIMM (or more if doing more than just storage)
(optional) StarTech USBMBADAPT2 USB header-to-ports adapter (for internal USB stick boot drive)
Up to twelve SATA drives (8 3.5” plus 4 2.5”)
Silverstone ST45SF-G power supply

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i've got an old shitbox running XP that i've been using as a glorified NAS for way too long and need to replace it. i'm aiming for 4TB of storage, gonna use it for local backups and media, dunno if i want to get a Synology or build a FreeNAS system.

i like Synology because they are literally the size of a toaster. they've got lots of built-in apps and stuff but i hear mixed reviews on those and you can't really just install whatever on them, at least not easily

FreeNAS sounds interesting because of ZFS and its ability to maintain data integrity. downside is the required hardware is much heavier than a Synology. Can get a cheap system that takes ECC RAM easily enough, but a full sized desktop vs. toaster-sized Synology, ehhhhh. might be better long term though, think it would be easier to upgrade down the road than a synology (toss in newer, larger disks, make new array, copy poo poo over and then yank the old drives. can't really do that with a 2-bay Synology)

so 2x4TB RAID1 in a Synology, or is it worth the trouble of getting a larger box to run FreeNAS in a 2x4TB or 3x4TB ZFS array? have i just been reading too many paranoid posts by crazy nerds rambling about bitrot? what do ya'll think?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

i've got an old shitbox running XP that i've been using as a glorified NAS for way too long and need to replace it. i'm aiming for 4TB of storage, gonna use it for local backups and media, dunno if i want to get a Synology or build a FreeNAS system.

i like Synology because they are literally the size of a toaster. they've got lots of built-in apps and stuff but i hear mixed reviews on those and you can't really just install whatever on them, at least not easily

FreeNAS sounds interesting because of ZFS and its ability to maintain data integrity. downside is the required hardware is much heavier than a Synology. Can get a cheap system that takes ECC RAM easily enough, but a full sized desktop vs. toaster-sized Synology, ehhhhh. might be better long term though, think it would be easier to upgrade down the road than a synology (toss in newer, larger disks, make new array, copy poo poo over and then yank the old drives. can't really do that with a 2-bay Synology)

so 2x4TB RAID1 in a Synology, or is it worth the trouble of getting a larger box to run FreeNAS in a 2x4TB or 3x4TB ZFS array? have i just been reading too many paranoid posts by crazy nerds rambling about bitrot? what do ya'll think?

i have a nas4free box on a toaster-sized hp microserver n54l that is very needs suiting

i think hp caught on though because the n54l is now like $400 when i bought mine new for $250 in 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i have a nas4free box on a toaster-sized hp microserver n54l that is very needs suiting

i think hp caught on though because the n54l is now like $400 when i bought mine new for $250 in 2013
i was just going to recommend the same thing. i got it in 2013 for $220 and that included a usb 3 external enclosure, usb 3 card and a 250gb drive

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im the luxury

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

we dont have that poo poo here in kiwiland

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chneers i went out of my way to avoid shsc and you bring it in here like an eager dog with a dead bird on your new white carpet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nah im joking i love you i should read those things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

im the luxury

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

thx

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

tempting

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

hit me again itt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

hit me again itt

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

we dont have that poo poo here in kiwiland

at the general store between the sheep dip and hobbits dvd's idk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe i like the smug sense of superiority i get from building a pc

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you're going to build it then he's gonna click on all the ads and get a bunch of malware the of will be slow as balls and unreliable and it'll be your fault in his mind because you built it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
he doesnt know any better

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
if u love ur brother, get him a mac mini.