Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Zurui posted:

Dear God, man. It's Lent, not hell.

If it's not challenging it's not worth doing.

Speaking of challenges I'm wrapping up a 2 and half year Pathfinder campaign next week and as god is my witness I will never play or run that system again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Now that's something worth giving up for Lent ever.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"Advanced World of Dungeons"
So, uh, turns out someone's kinda done it already. I give you World of Warhammer: Streets of Marienburg.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Siivola posted:

So, uh, turns out someone's kinda done it already. I give you World of Warhammer: Streets of Marienburg.

Some decent stuff in there, but part of me feels it adds maybe too much.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, now that I've actually read it, I kinda feel the same. Or, y'know, it's kinda lopsided? There's a lot of abilities and a lot of magic and pretty alright a guideline for adjudicating task resolution... And that's about it. It feels like a distilled 3.5 supplement. :(

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

LongDarkNight posted:

If it's not challenging it's not worth doing.

Speaking of challenges I'm wrapping up a 2 and half year Pathfinder campaign next week and as god is my witness I will never play or run that system again.

:toxx: ?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Simian_Prime posted:

I do want to lose some weight, though. Giving up sugar cold-turkey might not be in the cards, but I should consider giving up sweets for Lent.

Losing weight is one of my New Year's resolutions and to help me out, I put an app on my phone that helps me count calories. It lets you scan barcodes to enter in food, search through a database of stuff, set out meal plans and all that jazz.

I started on January 1st this year and I've lost over 10lbs already. That's roughly one and a half per week, and that's just through calorie counting alone. I cannot recommend it enough if you're trying to get in shape.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Fuego Fish posted:

Losing weight is one of my New Year's resolutions and to help me out, I put an app on my phone that helps me count calories. It lets you scan barcodes to enter in food, search through a database of stuff, set out meal plans and all that jazz.

I started on January 1st this year and I've lost over 10lbs already. That's roughly one and a half per week, and that's just through calorie counting alone. I cannot recommend it enough if you're trying to get in shape.

I can vouch for this app, I used it and lost a good deal of weight. I fell off hard and put it back on, but the method is sound.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

fosborb posted:

A note on style that threw me. When talking about gender, it's odd to say "male" and "female." It makes you sound like a Ferengi. Certainly those sexual characteristics broadly inform gender, but this would have been a more natural way to put it, for me:

"I'm striving for a more inclusive representation of gender in the art of Strike! This means the art will include as many identifiably masculine characters as feminine, as well as characters somewhere in the middle and also completely nongendered characters."

Point well taken. It does come across a bit stilted there, and I like your version better.

moths posted:

You know what? Why not just use Species for goblin?

Well yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. In Strike, I call the general mechanic "Origins" because it could refer to species in the case of Goblins or Wookies, but it could also refer to other things, too. If I was playing an Avatar game, I would make Origins for each type of Bender, and also one for Non-Benders. Those aren't different species.

So should I take the lack of other suggestions to mean that I'm generally doing a good job making it inclusive? There's nothing else I ought to be doing? (Since I'm reviving a day-old conversation, here again is the blog post we were talking about)

Or were they indicative of the fact that my post got lost at the bottom of the page?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Unrelated to basically anything we're talking about : finally got my hands of Between Sand and Sea, the Africa sourcebook for Ars Magica. And it is amazing. Highlights include:

Berber and Tuareg witches who are able to use their magic to destroy anything. Objects, relationships, the concept of distance, other magic.
Rules for playing a bunch of weird Plinian races - the cynocephali, the blemmyes, the guys with ears the size of their entire bodies, the works.
An island where everyone is turned into monkeys while visiting, on pain of not being allowed to leave the island beach.
A decision to create an entirely new, entirely fictional society, the Banu Khalifa, to represent the African Moors from the Song of Roland because while it is vitally important to mythic European culture it is also exceptionally offensive to apply to any real-world people, so they invented a new society of demon-enslaving city-states who, despite being basically demon-worshiping jerks, are still cool enough that I'd play one.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

Unrelated to basically anything we're talking about : finally got my hands of Between Sand and Sea, the Africa sourcebook for Ars Magica. And it is amazing. Highlights include:

Berber and Tuareg witches who are able to use their magic to destroy anything. Objects, relationships, the concept of distance, other magic.
Rules for playing a bunch of weird Plinian races - the cynocephali, the blemmyes, the guys with ears the size of their entire bodies, the works.
An island where everyone is turned into monkeys while visiting, on pain of not being allowed to leave the island beach.
A decision to create an entirely new, entirely fictional society, the Banu Khalifa, to represent the African Moors from the Song of Roland because while it is vitally important to mythic European culture it is also exceptionally offensive to apply to any real-world people, so they invented a new society of demon-enslaving city-states who, despite being basically demon-worshiping jerks, are still cool enough that I'd play one.

Is Prester John in it?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Is Prester John in it?

Explicitly no; Prester John is presented as a possibility for what may lie in the strange and far lands beyond the Equator, but if so, he's probably a Faerie, or something from outside the normal realm of existence, because Africa ends before the Equator, somewhere in or beyond the Great Desert. (The Equator is a mystical and physical boundary which makes passage near impossible and is full of demons.) This book, meanwhile, is mostly concerned with what is north of that. (By medieval standards, 'North Africa' was believed to be the entire place.)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

Explicitly no; Prester John is presented as a possibility for what may lie in the strange and far lands beyond the Equator, but if so, he's probably a Faerie, or something from outside the normal realm of existence, because Africa ends before the Equator, somewhere in or beyond the Great Desert. (The Equator is a mystical and physical boundary which makes passage near impossible and is full of demons.) This book, meanwhile, is mostly concerned with what is north of that. (By medieval standards, 'North Africa' was believed to be the entire place.)

Please tell me objects combust and the ocean boils at the equator.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
There's another book that deals with what's beyond the equator (Giants, mostly.) Prester John is in that.

Yup.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Why yes! Yes indeed. Things get really weird there - as you approach, it becomes impossible for boats to sail because the water is too thick to move through. This is good, because, well, otherwise you'd sail right into the boiling water and the demonic storms.

E: South of the Sun is outdated - it's Second Edition, we're on Fifth. It is no longer canon, and that's probably for the best - early editions of Ars were less good than 4th and 5th, writing-wise and in terms of thinking about other cultures. For what's past the Equator in 5th, turn to Art and Academe, which discusses Aristotelian physics and several theories about what's in the parts of the world that cannot be physically accessed. For example, one major theory proposes that the theoretical counterweight-land of Terra Australis is literally connected to Hell.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 21, 2015

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Probably not. Our resident grog is likely going to fight the switch to 13th Age and he's certainly going to want to run PF when it's his turn to DM again. Can't just quit my regular group, I've been playing with them since I started on the hobby.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Fuego Fish posted:

I'm going to third this as I use this app as well and it is rather useful.

Splicer posted:

I'm off snacks for lent because I want to lose some weight and gain some money. I doubt many people here actually care about lent for lent's sake, it's just an excuse and an incentive to do something that's good for you. Like a new year's resolution, but with a duration most people find actually achievable.

I know what you're trying to say, but let's not assume that, just that it's good for me to do this, that I'm not also doing it for religious reasons.

LongDarkNight posted:

Probably not. Our resident grog is likely going to fight the switch to 13th Age and he's certainly going to want to run PF when it's his turn to DM again. Can't just quit my regular group, I've been playing with them since I started on the hobby.

Let me help you out: sell it like 3rd edition dungeon and dragons. That's how I got our resident grog to buy it. I highlighted all the character building options and used analogies to pathfinder and 3e. I compared Feature and Talents like 3.P Class Feature's and Archetypes and explained how it helps build your character out. I explained how +2 X or +2 Y was a way to emphasize a 3e build your character philosophy by avoiding incompatibilities. I explained how Feats were streamlined into things that best focused on what was most relevant to your character while still opening up a lot of options.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

LongDarkNight posted:

If you're looking for something resembling 3.5-ish/5e-ish D&D but cut right down to the bone, I've been working on The Next Project since last summer, and if you can trick your group into playing it, any feedback would be much appreciated. :)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

Can't just quit my regular group, I've been playing with them since I started on the hobby.

No Gamings Is Better Than Bad Gaming, but you could always just run 13A anyway and the grog can quit if he doesn't like it (assuming he's literally the only one opposing you switching to better games).

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Jimbozig posted:

So should I take the lack of other suggestions to mean that I'm generally doing a good job making it inclusive? There's nothing else I ought to be doing? (Since I'm reviving a day-old conversation, here again is the blog post we were talking about)

Or were they indicative of the fact that my post got lost at the bottom of the page?
Its a complicated subject. In my opinion just remember that the writing is more important than the artwork. You can include as many diverse pictures as you want but I've seen that completely destroyed by horrible writing. I don't think you are the type of person to do such a thing and through you're writing you have basically stated as much.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 21, 2015

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Jimbozig posted:

You're doing a good job!

I do have one recommendation about the eventual writing stage, which is to not let culture become a big character-defining thing like race tends to be in fantasy. A rule of thumb I always use is to think of every culture as something with the complexity of ancient Greece (or China, or Ashanti, or the Norse, etc.). A huge variety of historical and fictional people comes up immediately when we say "ancient Greece": Athena, Socrates, Homer, Arachne, Herodotus, Diogenes, Sappho, Heracles, Medea, Aristophanes, Helen, to name a relative few. And even then people retold their myths and had their own spins on historical figures. Herodotus, for example, suggested that all the Greek gods were first worshipped by the Egyptians so the two cultures shared a pantheon, and that the entire Trojan war was pointless because Helen didn't actually flee to Troy.

Basically every region filled with people makes its own heroes and antiheroes, villains, tragic figures, misunderstood geniuses, and "ordinary" folks in all shapes and sizes. From what you've written it sounds like you're pretty aware of that already; I just wanted to share a little technique that's worked for me. As a fantasy example I tend to refer to Tolkien's Noldor, but I'm a fan of Tolkien stuff to a tragic degree so choose what you want to choose, man.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Thanks, and yeah, I totally agree with what you're saying. There is always an inherent conflict there, as giving such a nuanced take on a fictional culture needs a lot of wordcount, which takes a correspondingly long time. It's so much easier and faster and cheaper to do a bad job.

One thing that helps is showing instead of telling. "This is a violent and ostentatious culture that values writing, art and expression." Like, that gets across a feeling to the reader, but it also totally groups everyone into the same bucket. If you cut the stereotypes, you could write: "As you walk down the main street, you see colourful murals on the wall depicting bloody battles juxtaposed with the farmers lining the walls, loudly but peaceably selling their vegetables. Body art is ubiquitous, with dyed hair, henna, tattoos, and piercings all to be seen. One woman, attended by two large, armed guards, has a shaved head with lines of scripture tattooed on her scalp." There, I've just tried to get across the same ideas (violent, ostentatious, writing, art, expression) without lumping everyone in together.

Speaking of people in buckets...
!!
Never has there lived a better NPC than Athens' greatest troll. Why haven't I been using him in my games all along? For making fun of Plato to his face, he gets to be one of my favourite dudes in all of history, but it never occurred to me to use Diogenes as a model for an RPG character. Of course, he'd make a pretty terrible PC.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man, I now find myself contemplating what extras I would add into a slightly more bulky "Advanced World of Dungeons" besides GM advice/moves. Maybe some extra classes (Paladin, Barbarian, Druids could all be done easily enough using existing abilities), and miscellaneous other bits and bobs. Plus maybe Matt Rundle's Anti-Hammerspace Item Tracker, if only because I loving love it as a simplistic way of dealing with "encumbrance" (though I'd probably remove worn armor taking up space).

If I was doing Advanced World of Dungeons, I actually wouldn't add too many new abilities: you can build Paladins and Druids pretty easily using the abilities from the existent classes, but you should definitely present them as pre-packaged classes. For the Barbarian you'd just have to add a couple of new abilities like Rage and such. I'd also add the Monk as one of the classes.

Beyond that, you'd need a way of distinguishing between the different races (as that was a thing that only came into bloom with AD&D). The way I'd do it would be to give each race a racial skill (humans get a free pick of a skill instead), because I think the skill system is robust enough to handle the idea that certain races are better at others at different things. For an example, the Dwarf skill would be applicable to rolls to resist poison, detect uneven stonework, etc.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Y'know, I was thinking and I realized that what I want for World of Dungeons isn't an Advanced edition or anything, but simply a Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual, done in the same one-sheet style.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A World of Dungeons MM would be really cool if it was set up like base WoD, where the GM could pick from lists of moves to build monsters with on the fly.

Not sure what a GM's guide would have, though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Siivola posted:

Y'know, I was thinking and I realized that what I want for World of Dungeons isn't an Advanced edition or anything, but simply a Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual, done in the same one-sheet style.

Yeah, that sounds like the cool way to go about it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

A World of Dungeons MM would be really cool if it was set up like base WoD, where the GM could pick from lists of moves to build monsters with on the fly.

Not sure what a GM's guide would have, though.

A WoD DM's Guide would basically be PbtA style GMing condensed to a single page, wouldn't it? The soft/hard moves, the DM's Agenda, ask questions & build on the answers, etc. Maybe a basic form of fronts.

I guess a WoD MM would be maybe half how to make monsters and then half sample monsters. This is what I'm shakiest on, but I guess a simplistic monster would boil down to Name, Instinct, Hitdice, Weapon, Loot. Maybe include some simplistic tags, I dunno.

Oh, and here is what I had cooked up for extra classes:

Paladins get Leadership. Choose Two Special Abilities: Tough, Cure, Turn, Skirmish
Bards get Deception. Choose Two Special Abilities: Cantrips, Tinker, Lucky, Bless
Druids get Survival. Choose Two Special Abilities: Wild, Cure, Ritual, Command
Barbarians get Awareness. Choose Two Special Abilities: Slay, Scout, Reflexes, Hardy

Bless for Bards feels a bit "eh", but I didn't want to give them too many Thief abilities. Maybe make a new ability for them, like a potential Rage for Barbarians. Also a bit ify on giving Barbs Awareness, but that'd make 3 classes with Survival as their class skill, its appropriate for all of them though.

Speaking of this stuff, I suddenly find myself annoyed that GoogleDocs can't do columns. Cause at this point, I'd probably start actually working on this. :argh:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think one could condense GM moves and some guidelines on how to adjudicate player moves into one page. It'd just be really cool if you didn't have to refer to a bigger PbtA game for those. If there was space left over, maybe one could stuff some sort of simple Fronts in there as well? Also, it's not a DMG without magic items, so rules for generating evil talking swords with moves of their own would be neat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'd probably make Magic weapons mostly a descriptive thing (like Sting glowing when Goblins are around) but also able to hurt certain magical enemies of course. Maybe have some of the more obvious D&D style "buff" magical items temporarily grant certain skills or abilities. Like an invisibility potion temporarily giving you the stealth skill (clearly the rogue is good enough to not need it), or an Elvan cloak giving you scout, or a ring of protection giving you reflexes or tough. Magical items would be powered by spirits, of course, which Wizards could use to summon the spirits forth.

I really wouldn't want to overcomplicate it though. Especially when the space budget is only both sides of a single page.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A WoD DM's Guide would basically be PbtA style GMing condensed to a single page, wouldn't it? The soft/hard moves, the DM's Agenda, ask questions & build on the answers, etc. Maybe a basic form of fronts.

While it's not one page, this set of awesome generators from this really good Story-Games thread is designed for GM use.

e: And yeah, you could easily fit the GM principles, moves, and agenda into one half-page.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh, and as far as races go, I'd stick to really old school D&D and make the races classes. :v: That said the oldest D&D I have is a 1980 printing of AD&D 1st. I also totally forgot Assassin was a class.

Assassins get Stealth. Choose two special abilities: Slay, Volley, Reflexes, Backstab

Oh and I like the generators. Maybe include a simpler one like Lasers and Feeling's generator and its fantasy reskin, Swords and Scrolls?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 22, 2015

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
So, for the first time, I'm watching a youtube channel play a one shot hack I wrote.

I'm not actually published, but for those who are, how do you do this without consuming entirely too much alcohol?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

fosborb posted:

So, for the first time, I'm watching a youtube channel play a one shot hack I wrote.

I'm not actually published, but for those who are, how do you do this without consuming entirely too alcohol?

In situations like this, I find the best solution is to drink.

oh

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

fosborb posted:

I'm not actually published, but for those who are, how do you do this without consuming entirely too much alcohol?

Mostly I download the audio and then listen to it while playing video games.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So I kind of want to start playing a miniature game, but I'd rather not go bankrupt, get a divorce, and end up sucking cocks in a backalley in sweden trying to get money for minis.

Is there a cheap and fun game out there I can play? Sometime with decent rules that's not expensive (ok, cheap) and doesn't require setting up giant paper castles and buying 20 books?

Pre-painted or not, hell, I'll even play a game with printed paper figurines if it's good.

edit: Oh, and not a historical, or based around real world war vehicles and stuff, the more fantasy or sci-fi the better.

VVV That's a great recomendation, definitely an option!

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 23, 2015

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

So, I kind of want to start playing a miniature game, but I'd rather no go baknrupt, get a divorce, and end up sucking cocks in a backalley in sweden trying to get money for minis.

Is there a cheap and fun game out there I can play? Sometime with decent rules that's not expensive (ok, cheap) and doesn't require setting up giant paper castles and buying 20 books?

Pre-painted or not, hell, I'll even play a game with printed paper figurines if it's good.

Monsterpocalypse is pretty cheap, the models are pre painted and pre assembled, the terrain is just fold out maps and the game itself is fun and easy to get into.

fosborb posted:

What's the hack, if you don't mind me asking?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Hugoon Chavez posted:

So I kind of want to start playing a miniature game, but I'd rather not go bankrupt, get a divorce, and end up sucking cocks in a backalley in sweden trying to get money for minis.

edit: Oh, and not a historical, or based around real world war vehicles and stuff, the more fantasy or sci-fi the better.

Mobile Frame Zero is a minis game where you build your minis out of Lego. And it's gundam-style giant robots.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
X-Wing miniatures is relatively decent and you can get enough models to make two 100 point lists for maybe $100, but it's also FFG, which means instead of errata they release silver bullet cards included inside new miniature releases which you end up having to buy just to be able to use those upgrades in tournaments. If you're not going to official tournaments, you can just proxy instead.

inklesspen posted:

Mobile Frame Zero is a minis game where you build your minis out of Lego. And it's gundam-style giant robots.

LEGO is incredibly expensive to actually buy, though. MF0 is great if you have tons of pieces lying around from when you were a kid, but otherwise actually building minis is going to cost you.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 23, 2015

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
What IRC channels are there for TG, and what do they talk about?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Doodmons posted:

Theres's #boardgoons for, hmmm, board games :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Doodmons posted:

#persona for all things FATE, OVA, and otherwise anime. #swampthings for all things Monsterhearts. Besides that, individual games might have their own channels.

• Locked thread