Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

That silver is starting to get a bit close to Sette there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Starfish has been a lot grosser than Murk but the thing is that Starfish is probably going to die.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

What with the reveal that Sette is basically an eternal child, now I kinda know what it must feel like for those goons in ADTRW who get made fun of for liking terrible anime. Also count me in on the "gently caress Starfish" troop. Like jeeze, let's admit that the guy is worse to see on panel than Murkoph by this point.
Nah, see, Starfish I like to hate. Murk is just ughghghghghghg.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Starfish at least has the decency to be pathetic. I can see I'm supposed to hate him on all levels, and the only question is whether it's Dwayne or the silver that'll eat him alive in the end.

Murkoph is pretty much an already dead 'fish with wacky powers, but he's going to die smug and grinning fetchingly.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Starfish is supposed to be just the shittiest guy. All the political drama and backstabbing is morally anchored around everyone hating Starfish and looking down on him, even if they work for/with him. Murkoph, by replacing Starfish, effectively drops the ethical bottom out for the story. Everything's escalated: the conspiracies are grander, the players are more powerful, and they found someone worse than Starfish.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Toby is so dead right here

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
In which someone's going to get so dead right here.

Also:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I like that a mask which is supposed to be imposing agony and torture beyond measure upon Duane, basically just has him doing his job back in shartshane. :allears:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You forget, this comic is written by Ashley Cope. The untold agony and suffering will be on the next page, duh.

Probably something horrible happening to his little girl, that seems like an easy one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gally posted:

Toby is so dead right here

Yeah Stockyard doesn't strike me as someone you gently caress with ever. Because he's not going to think twice if you miss.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Toby got first draw.

He's hosed.

Rime posted:

I like that a mask which is supposed to be imposing agony and torture beyond measure upon Duane, basically just has him doing his job back in shartshane. :allears:

Not even the dead can know peace from this evil.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Where is this from?

Also Duane doing his old job as a scribe as his nightmare along with his interactions with others was pretty funny, especially considering how dark and horrible things have been in the story lately (but done well, I'm not complaining, it's Unsounded, it comes with the territory).

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Toby got first draw.

He's hosed.

Look again- Stockyard's eyes are right on the bottles. The nice, REFLECTIVE bottles. Whether or not he can react to Toby in time is up in the air though.

...wonder if Cutter just opened a way into the khert there. Given there's a hungry not-restrained by a mask zombie wandering around the other side, we may be in for a lovely ironic death scene.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Tar_Squid posted:

Look again- Stockyard's eyes are right on the bottles. The nice, REFLECTIVE bottles. Whether or not he can react to Toby in time is up in the air though.
Sounds like that's what he's saying - toby is hosed

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jackard posted:

:ocelot:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jackard posted:

Honestly, one of those bottles are probably going to be winding up in Toby's eyes within a few panels.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn this comic knows how to gently caress with people's safe places. These last two panels are loving sadistic.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sheeeeeeeeeiitt that's sure a page there :stonk:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Unsounded: No one ever gets nice things.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nope

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

NoPe

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
it's kind of weird that this thread doesn't have more discussion, particularly with how solid Unsounded is.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, I don't think anyone wants to be on record here as really into this comic. Especially if Fabricated ever sees Murkof in the comic again. This comic is good enough at unsettling and creepy villains that it hits too close to being creepy and unsettling.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The month long breaks between chapters, while understandable, don't seem to help maintain discussion.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grognan posted:

Eh, I don't think anyone wants to be on record here as really into this comic.

I would like to be on record as being really into this comic.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Grognan posted:

Eh, I don't think anyone wants to be on record here as really into this comic. Especially if Fabricated ever sees Murkof in the comic again. This comic is good enough at unsettling and creepy villains that it hits too close to being creepy and unsettling.

Unsounded is my favorite fantasy webcomic. I don't really care if Murkof is creepy or not.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Grognan posted:

This comic is good enough at unsettling and creepy villains that it hits too close to being creepy and unsettling.
This is me. Some of the things that happen in Unsounded are horrifying, like to the point where sometimes I'm a little ambivalent about checking for updates. One of these days something is going to happen that's so hosed up that I'll just leave. Dwayne eats a bunch of babies, I don't know. One of the pedophiles finally takes things into the realm of "gently caress this."

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I dig the comic a lot but sometimes it moves at such a slow pace I forget the meaning of a lot of stuff.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I dig the comic a lot but sometimes it moves at such a slow pace I forget the meaning of a lot of stuff.

I'm actually planning on rereading the whole thing before sperging in the thread. Unsounded strikes me as something that's better appreciated as a whole rather than as an episodic fix

It is The Wire of webcomics!

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't read it anymore because I find it super hard to keep track of what's going on at this pace. Some day I'm just gonna read the whole thing at once and I'm sure I'll enjoy it thoroughly.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I just got done catching up. (I tried to read the first chapter once, years ago, wasn't hooked, then tried again just a few days ago and finally made it to the current page). This comic is fantastic for reading in one sitting, but I can't imagine being a serial reader.

I think I'll just stop checking the comic for a few months, and then read it all from the beginning again- I just know I'll forget important plot details otherwise.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Grognan posted:

I'll go on record as being really into this comic, too. I don't read the ancillary stuff so outside of this thread I don't know anything about how Murkof is really the creator's weeabo rape otherkin or whatever.

The characters are fantastic, the setting is interesting, and it's perpetually changing and playing with your emotions. It's really fun - it can go from touching to super creepy to suspenseful to joyful really quickly.

I agree that it is not generally great as a page-a-day, however, and I tend to read it in batches of 3-5 pages.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kinda wondering how much of this is memory and how much is just the magic torture mask.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This would be better off released in chapters. Ava's Demon is another webcomic that suffers from the same kind of pacing and delays.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Unsounded is one of my favorites. I've even come to terms with Murkoph after watching how the author handles him. And being a serial reader isn't even that hard, really, or at least I've never had a lot of difficulty with it. The comic updates three times a week, pretty solidly; if it's fewer times, it's because we got multiple updates on one day. The only fly in the ointment is the between-chapter breaks, and we've got about a hundred pages before another one of those comes up (according to her estimate of the page count for this chapter on Tumblr). I mean, we're only in chapter ten, so there's been a maximum of nine of those breaks so far across the entire comic.

I do know that Ashley gets frustrated about it updating the way it does, but she has (very well-founded) fears that if she closed up shop for a few months and released an entire chapter all at once she'd lose most of her readers, and she kind of needs us to give her money so she can keep eating, so.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Comic makes my skin crawl at times, and I love it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Kinda wondering how much of this is memory and how much is just the magic torture mask.

At least 90% torture mask, probably closer to 100%. The start of Lemuel's conversation in the snowy street might have happened at some point, but everything else is outright impossible.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think it's more mixed than that. Pretty sure that everything that happened with Lemuel was straight-up memory (with a dollop of crazy, because he was actually crazy at the time). The stuff with Leysa was obviously not genuine memory but more like an exposition of his feelings (i.e. guilt).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I could see it going either way, but I'm assuming Duane's live self appearing and chastising him is a construct of the current dream sequence (he appears earlier) and not an apparition of his madness. It's also unclear when Lemuel tells him "come back to the shop" if he's referring to the dream-stage of Duane's scrivener shop in Sharteshane or if he was describing whatever random hideout he was using for Duane at that actual point in time (Lemuel was a soldier and Duane was a priest, so neither of them had any obvious access to a shop for hiding attack zombies in.) Duane did imply he had attacked Lemuel before leaving Alderode, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I think it's a mix of magic torture mask and him trying to deal with the magic torture mask.