Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

Can you elaborate on this at all? I'm really curious about implementing complex AI in the GZDoom engine. "Obscenely complicated" may not mean complex or intelligent, though.

Whoooooo where to begin.
Hideous Destructor is easily one of the most advanced and in-depth mods I've seen--it doesn't look especially buzzword, since there aren't a whole ton of unique graphics and it doesn't lend itself to fun videos, but god drat if it isn't the most complex and intricate (and loving HARD) mods I've seen.
The enemy AI is brutal, too. They ironsight, team up, engage and retreat, adjust tactics based on how much ammo they have left, etc. Though it's unlikely that most of it will be seen, since you'll be dead after two shots, but opening up the file for the zombieman alone shows a staggering amount of thoughts going through that bastard's head.

dis astranagant posted:

Zandronum's take on netcode doesn't like heavily scripted wads

All of my mods are extremely heavily scripted and are designed primarily for Zandronum.
Zandro's problems aren't so much script amounts, but rather script, uh...recent-ness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I still fukken love Unreal to this day, though for me a huge part of why I enjoy it has to do with Alexander Brandon and Van der Bos's amazing soundtrack. "Nightvision" more than made up for the terrible ship interior maps filled with those annoying gun-armed dudes with the invincibility shields.

Speaking of which, can you get the Unreal soundtracks anywhere, complete with the battle/ambient tracks mixed in? If I remember correctly the game's music was split into different "moods" to play when appropriate throughout a map, so pretty much every ripped OST I'd find would be missing the rockin' "skaarj traps you in a darkened hallway for a one-on-one" beats.

On another note, Unreal 2 had significantly-worse music with the lack of the previous artists, but it did manage to get close to that "Unreal" feel here and there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFo66ETxu_8

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ChickenHeart posted:

Speaking of which, can you get the Unreal soundtracks anywhere, complete with the battle/ambient tracks mixed in? If I remember correctly the game's music was split into different "moods" to play when appropriate throughout a map, so pretty much every ripped OST I'd find would be missing the rockin' "skaarj traps you in a darkened hallway for a one-on-one" beats.

Years and years and years ago I actually sat down and took the time to run all my UMX files through a streamripper- Unreal 1, UT99, and Deus Ex. I'm not sure where they are now, but I remember preferring the mood tracks to the battle tracks for casual listening.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I have also never played Unreal. What's the best way to do so nowadays, just buy Unreal Gold on Steam?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, you can also use oldskool ampd/coop to load it in the UT engine to use the DX10 renderer and the 4000x4000 textures if you want.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Recently, I realized I never played the original Unreal, so I decided to fix that. So far, I'm really enjoying it: it has a flavor all of its own, and it feels as if –had Epic not started working on the Tournament series after this– a proper sequel would have been much closer to something such as Metroid Prime than Quake.

Anyway, I've started encountering a problem. From time to time, when I load a save, all my weapons are missing their textures. Reloading an earlier save (which means restarting the level, most of the times) seems to fix the problem, but I'd like to know if anyone else encountered this and found another way around this.

Did you install the unofficial latest version patch? It fixes a lot of bugs and gives you more features to play with.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=129354519

I remember having problems with missing textures too, but it only happened with flags and other such decorative objects. No idea what triggered it, though.

Music chat: Unreal's soundtrack has some really great stuff. The Neve's Crossing theme from the expansion struck a particular chord with me for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IzkNj0ldgQ

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TerminusEst13 posted:

Whoooooo where to begin.
Hideous Destructor is easily one of the most advanced and in-depth mods I've seen--it doesn't look especially buzzword, since there aren't a whole ton of unique graphics and it doesn't lend itself to fun videos, but god drat if it isn't the most complex and intricate (and loving HARD) mods I've seen.
The enemy AI is brutal, too. They ironsight, team up, engage and retreat, adjust tactics based on how much ammo they have left, etc. Though it's unlikely that most of it will be seen, since you'll be dead after two shots, but opening up the file for the zombieman alone shows a staggering amount of thoughts going through that bastard's head.

All of my mods are extremely heavily scripted and are designed primarily for Zandronum.
Zandro's problems aren't so much script amounts, but rather script, uh...recent-ness.

I guess it was mostly just the DoomRLA guys and the ridiculous amount of inventory crud that wad uses to track things.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What are some great Wolfenstein 3D TC's? Currently playing through Spear: End of Destiny and it's pretty gut. Would have appreciated digital sound effects since they enhanced drat near everything else, though.

Trench Warfare, Project X, Spear of Destiny Reloaded, End of Destiny, Spear Resurrection, Castle Totenkopf, Eisenfaust: Legacy, Absence, Death Trigger, Northern Darkness, Planet Nexion...

While looking for those, I found a great piece of obscurity - a total conversion of Hovertank 3D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTlNaOXWf1A

I really like the use of EGA palette here. Mod is downloadable from here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/demon-hunter/downloads

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

Also why don't the (G)Zdoom people do some work on the netcode? Everything else seems to be in good working order, why not get multiplayer implemented?

Basically the netcode in ZDoom (like in the original plain-old-vanilla Doom) is essentially the same as the demo code. As you probably know the game is deterministic, so the only unpredictable events are player actions. So in netgame, ZDoom sends packets containing information about what the player did. Then the remote players are simulated like in a demo from this information, the local player plays normally, and everything else (monster action, sector movements, etc.) are determined by what the players, remote and local, do.

The major problem with that approach is that you have to be there from the beginning. And if there's anything that causes player action information not to be portable, the game will inevitably desync. An example of that is when you have a fancy script that simulates a mouse cursor based on player angle and pitch (like the keypad in ZDCMP2). As you might know there's an "invert mouse" option for people who want forward = down instead of forward = up, and if the simulated cursor code takes this option into account, desync explodes, because the option isn't taken into account by the netcode (or the demo code) so a difference in it will make desync go boom.

Zandronum has a client-server approach. On vanilla Doom, the game is always played locally, for each of the node, and each local game stays hopefully in sync. With client-server, the game is played on the server only, and the clients only get to depict what happens, they don't get to decide what happens. If you shoot an imp in ZDoom netplay, your computer will kill the imp, and the other computers will kill their own imps; in Zandronum your computer will say "player shoots" to the server, server will go "hmm, this kills the imp", and then server tells all clients "this player shot, this imp is dead".

This is good because you can join during a game. The server will tell your client "there's a player here, and an imp there, and that door has been opened", and your client will use what the server tells it instead of just going by what it finds while loading the map. The drawback? When there's a lot of action. Say something like nuts.wad coop. Every tic, the server has to send information about what every player has done, but also about every monster action, sector movement, etc. When you have 500 "imp spawned a fireball" events to send every second, that's a much bigger use of bandwidth than when you just have to worry about player actions. So it becomes very important to optimize the information that's sent as much as possible, and this optimization can result in desyncs reappearing, reduced precisions for mostly-cosmetic events (like bullet puffs and blood splats), and this in turn means that everything has to be a special case so you get netcode handling all over the place instead of centralizing them as much as possible. So from time to time there's a "this rarely-used function doesn't work in multiplayer at all" bug report.

Anyway, the short is that Zandronum's netcode is generally more practical for the end user, but it has its own drawbacks, and the ZDoom developers really don't want to deal with something like it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's also worth noting that all it takes is one dropped or corrupted packet, or even just too much lag, and Zdoom's netcode explodes into desyncs, while Zandronum can handle pretty hefty pings before the game is completely unplayable.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Two addendums:

Cat Mattress posted:

Then the remote players are simulated like in a demo from this information, the local player plays normally
While technically correct, remote and "local" players are the exact same thing, even in single player. The only critical difference is whomever is making the tics, but that's actually outside of the playsim's control. By design, all players are "remote", as every player (and yes, still in singleplayer) has tics constructed by the network and then sent to any players that need the message. For the local player creating their own tics, this would be to a rebound buffer rather than a socket.

Elliotw2 posted:

It's also worth noting that all it takes is one dropped or corrupted packet, or even just too much lag, and Zdoom's netcode explodes into desyncs,

As packets get dropped in UDP all the time (by design, somewhat), Z/Doom is packet drop resistant, so neither packet loss nor "generic lag" can damage the playsim. A tic will only run when all players in a game have input sent to the buffer for that very tic to process. The input itself runs on reverse acknowledgement. Only when something is missing does a node respond saying it's missing something. And it will not ever run that gametic until the input is there to run.
Packet corruption could happen, and I'm beginning to wonder if some router manufacturers took the UDP's optional checksum a little too optionally.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 22, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rocket Pan posted:

Two addendums:

While technically correct, remote and "local" players are the exact same thing, even in single player. The only critical difference is whomever is making the tics, but that's actually outside of the playsim's control. By design, all players are "remote", as every player (and yes, still in singleplayer) has tics constructed by the network and then sent to any players that need the message. For the local player creating their own tics, this would be to a rebound buffer rather than a socket.
\

Was this because of the coding for left and right views in early versions of Doom?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Absolutely. As well as the external input driver from 1.2 onwards (which ironically broke -left/-right) which could supply either different network multiplayer implementations (such as DWANGO) or even for joystick drivers to supply input directly, in situations where Doom's existing code wouldn't understand the input. It's also what allows singleplayer to keep running at 35Hz, even if the renderer (or anything else) is running slower.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Speaking of which, have any ports succesffully brought back left and right? Whether on multiple screens on the same computer or the traditional multi computer setup.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Chocolate Doom has the exact -left/-right commands implemented and working. PRBoom+, from what I recall, and while not necessarily the same thing, supports multi-monitor surround.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Hope I'm not too late to hop onto the Unreal bandwagon.

I bought it from GOG.com probably a week ago since it was on sale for a paltry $3, so I figured why the hell not, I never played it before.

Wow. Even though it's from a decade and a half ago, it's still breathtaking. I'm not finished with the game, but even still there are so many moments that just fill you with a sense of awe and beauty moreso than most games try to instill on you with fancy skyboxes. Even through its clunky graphics, it's aged very well. Its narrative isn't as tightly packed as Half-Life's, but in this case it's a huge pro since you don't have to focus on the subtleties of the story as much, just on the exploration. And that is Unreal's biggest strength is atmosphere and exploration. The music really made the game here. If it was a bland orchestra soundtrack or midi, I probably wouldn't like Unreal so much, but the music that comes with it adds so much mood and atmosphere to the game when its soothing and ambient and it makes your heart race when its fast-paced and frantic.

The AI is incredible. Half-Life's grunt AI was very good for its time, but it wasn't very satisfying and probably too realistic. Typically you'd just get frustrated with the little fuckers hiding and popping grenades from behind cover and try to pound them with buckshot before they scrambled. Unreal's combat in comparison is incredibly fun and the Skaarj are such lovable assholes to fight. They dodge your shots, charge at you, leap around, and are just a hoot to battle against. The combo of fun combat, rich exploration, epic atmosphere, and incredible soundtrack makes Unreal undoubtedly one of my favorite games ever. At least, so far. I'll see if the end is as strong as the beginning.

Also, a little nitpick, but after installing the unofficial patch the game tends to show the map title, author, game etc. on the top of the screen and I was wondering if there's any way to turn that off because I NEED MY IMMERSION.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I just beat Powerslave on the Saturn. All Transmitter pieces, but not all Team Dolls as I'm not yet feeling masochistic enough to try to take those on.

That final boss sure was... something. Particularly the part where it slows to a crawl and starts laying Langoliers everywhere.

Also, circle-strafing with a non-dual-analog controller is annoying. I hope Kaiser's port goes well - this really is screaming for mouselook. As well as a higher resolution, a more stable framerate, perspective correction, for the HUD to not stop displaying when the automap gets too busy...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mission X in Dark Forces is loving bullshit, Jesus Christ.

Yes take away all of my gear and make me run through a gauntlet of really strong enemies that I have to kill with my bare hands before getting it all back :psyduck:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Mak0rz posted:

Mission X in Dark Forces is loving bullshit, Jesus Christ.

Yes take away all of my gear and make me run through a gauntlet of really strong enemies that I have to kill with my bare hands before getting it all back :psyduck:

You only have to kill one or two Kell Dragons to progress, everything else is just for bragging rights/comfort.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Geight posted:

You only have to kill one or two Kell Dragons to progress, everything else is just for bragging rights/comfort.

There's a bunch of those pig fuckers blocking doorways on the way to the room with your gear. You can't get around them (they're too big and hallways are too narrow and full of goddamn mines) and they can kill you surprisingly fast.

You have to bare knuckle box two dragons and they get pretty irritating too.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Anyone here ever do any Doom races?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

There's a bunch of those pig fuckers blocking doorways on the way to the room with your gear. You can't get around them (they're too big and hallways are too narrow and full of goddamn mines) and they can kill you surprisingly fast.

Once you're past the two kell dragons you should have access to some thermal detonators from the three-eyed dudes and there's a few landmines in a secret area around the pit that you need to jump across, iirc.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Man, that level with the Kell Dragons stressed the gently caress out of me as a kid. I remember reading all about it in a magazine (although it was really more a compilation of guides) that I had for a long time. In fact, the magazine had complete walkthroughs for it, Doom II, Cyclones, ROTT, and a number of other games--including an evaluation of every single level, weapon, and enemy. I must have read those entries a hundred times. They went into so much more detail than I had ever seen in another video game mag.

Actually, now I am really trying to remember the particular magazine. It was dark, with a thicker, glossier cover than a cheap video game magazine (sort of like annual "collector's" editions for publications) and on the back it had a relatively crude 3D rendering of a Cyberdemon with the words "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here..."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Geight posted:

Once you're past the two kell dragons you should have access to some thermal detonators from the three-eyed dudes and there's a few landmines in a secret area around the pit that you need to jump across, iirc.

Yeah, I know. I guess I just suck at this game then :argh:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Nah man the level is bullshit I agree, but I hate it because after the Kell Dragon Rage Cage it's another level just riddled with landmines, and that poo poo gets old.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Are the Exhumed/Powerslave games being ported?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Saturn Powerslave is being remade by Kaiser (Doom 64 EX, Strife: Veteran Edition) and officially re-released by Night Dive, yes.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

MONKET posted:

Also, a little nitpick, but after installing the unofficial patch the game tends to show the map title, author, game etc. on the top of the screen and I was wondering if there's any way to turn that off because I NEED MY IMMERSION.

I'm pretty sure every version of the game does that; it's just the way it handles level titles.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Saturn Powerslave is being remade by Kaiser (Doom 64 EX, Strife: Veteran Edition) and officially re-released by Night Dive, yes.

There's also a really good GZDoom port of the PC version in the works. Apparently the guy has a Build-To-GZDoom map converter so it shouldn't take too long. It's mostly a matter of converting and renovating rather than painstakingly recreating.

So yeah, we might be getting two completely different (but equally impressive) Exhumed remakes this year.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Partially correct. The Saturn, Playstation, and PC versions are all being renovated and re-released.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wait, why would anyone want the PC version?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's more a question of "it'll be easy to remaster so why not?", I think.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Wait, why would anyone want the PC version?

The same reason anyone would want the Playstation version. There's very little different from the Saturn version.

The real question is, will Powerslave Remastered have Death Tank?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

I don't know how I managed to beat it as a kid. I'm generally better at most games now than I was back then, but playing old school FPS these days I tend to get my arse kicked.

I guess as a kid I was just a lot more persistent. That or I was in some kind of old-school mentality that I've since lost :shrug:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Segmentation Fault posted:

There's very little different from the Saturn version.
Didn't the PC release have most of the key items removed and all levels strung into a linear sequence?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Didn't the PC release have most of the key items removed and all levels strung into a linear sequence?

Yeah but I was talking about the Playstation version

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Are you sure that by "redoing the playstation and saturn and pc versions" didn't mean "playstation and saturn" and PC instead?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

Are you sure that by "redoing the playstation and saturn and pc versions" didn't mean "playstation and saturn" and PC instead?

I'm pretty sure Kaiser hasn't mentioned any sort of work on the Playstation version, just Saturn.

Also, the PC version is a wildly different game. Different engine, levels, gameplay, structure. No Metroid-y elements, and even a pretty different story. The final level in the PC version is an alien spaceship, because why not?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know how I managed to beat it as a kid. I'm generally better at most games now than I was back then, but playing old school FPS these days I tend to get my arse kicked.

I guess as a kid I was just a lot more persistent. That or I was in some kind of old-school mentality that I've since lost :shrug:
We didn't get home internet really early on so if I wanted to look up a walkthrough I had to do it at school, or a library, or grandma's house. She had internet access before we did. There was always a computer in the house, but because there wasn't a phone jack next to the computer we just didn't bother getting it. Of course the upside is my parents decided dialup sucked and switched us to cable a year later. But now with such easy internet access the amount of time I'm willing to knock away at a problem has decreased significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Dominic White posted:

I'm pretty sure Kaiser hasn't mentioned any sort of work on the Playstation version, just Saturn.

Also, the PC version is a wildly different game. Different engine, levels, gameplay, structure. No Metroid-y elements, and even a pretty different story. The final level in the PC version is an alien spaceship, because why not?
Technically the final level in the Saturn version is an alien spaceship as well, although it's little more than two walkways over a bottomless pit with a floating arena holding the final boss put in between the two.

Well, unless you count fleeing from Ramses' tomb as he intentionally buries it to prevent anyone else from stealing his corpse again as the final level.