Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

QuarkJets posted:

compelled duel doesn't necessarily do that, though. The creature can keep standing right next to the healer, unless the healer moves to be more than 30 feet from you. The opponent may move toward you, since you're the only one that it won't have disadvantage against, but that's not guaranteed. And nothing stops the healer from moving with the leader

I'd let a player have a little narrative control, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So, Draconic Sorcerers gets an AC of 13 + Dex. If you start as a Barbarian and multiclass into a sorcerer, would you have an AC of 13 + Dex + Con?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

e: There was text here but it was confusing and I gotta go before I'll get a chance to edit it.

The gist was that I'm pretty sure those two don't stack since they both set your AC to something. I'm pretty sure they would stack if they were bonuses, but they aren't.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 23, 2015

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

So, Draconic Sorcerers gets an AC of 13 + Dex. If you start as a Barbarian and multiclass into a sorcerer, would you have an AC of 13 + Dex + Con?
Nope. AlphaDog is right. Both features set your AC to a value, so they don't stack. As opposed to something like a shield, which is specifically worded as a "bonus to AC".

e: Here's a guy nerding out on this stuff in depth.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 23, 2015

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
Convince me (or don't) about why on a shield-bearing Paladin Dueling is better then Protection. Dueling adds, at most, 6 damage a turn (two attacks and one reaction). That +1 AC, while not much, means a hell of a lot in a game where AC doesn't really scale.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Take a level of Fighter and get both. Personally I prefer Protection over either of those, but of those two I'd prefer the AC bonus.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I'm playing a character focusing on grappling and unarmed strike, mixing Totem Barbarian, Open-Hand Monk and Battle-Master Fighter. I don't use weapons and armor due to Monk/Barbarian features. What are some good magic items to support this?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Vanguard Warden posted:

I'm playing a character focusing on grappling and unarmed strike, mixing Totem Barbarian, Open-Hand Monk and Battle-Master Fighter. I don't use weapons and armor due to Monk/Barbarian features. What are some good magic items to support this?

Cloak of Protection would be good. It's an uncommon with plus one to AC and saves. There is an uncommon bracer that gives two AC as well. Did you plan on using strength or dexterity for your damage?

Also there is some good discussion about grappling and what is offer earlier in the thread. The general discussion thread had some too but a lot of it was related to theory crafting and how 5e grappling compares to other editions. It seems 5e's much more limited as far as the advantages it can grant. Both are worth a look.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Vanguard Warden posted:

Grappling in general is not very good in 5e as all it does is reduce the target's speed to 0, and the Grappler feat causes you to also grant advantage if you use it's pinning feature; you're much better off inflicting Stun with Monk or Frightened with Fighter.

For items there's nothing that specifically helps grappling or unarmed, really; Gauntlets of Power make your Str equal 19 which would help if you're finding your stats spread thin and is uncommon, as is the cloak mentioned above. Bracers of Defense are rare however.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

Grappling in general is not very good in 5e as all it does is reduce the target's speed to 0, and the Grappler feat causes you to also grant advantage if you use it's pinning feature; you're much better off inflicting Stun with Monk or Frightened with Fighter.

For items there's nothing that specifically helps grappling or unarmed, really; Gauntlets of Power make your Str equal 19 which would help if you're finding your stats spread thin and is uncommon, as is the cloak mentioned above. Bracers of Defense are rare however.

It's important to remember that in 5e, unlike previous editions, grappling is only inflicted on the target, not yourself. The target's move speed is 0, but you're free to drag them along wherever. This is potentially awesome. There's also the potential to knock a dude prone with a shove and then grappling them; prone gives everyone next to the target advantage (disadvantage at range), and you can't get rid of the prone condition if your speed is 0. Could be extremely useful depending on the situation

The grappling feat is totally poo poo, though

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 24, 2015

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I've been focusing on strength for the athletics bonus, and the general idea is just to move things around in combat and prevent them from coming out of prone via the speed reduction caused by grappling. I've already played one session where I jumped into a hole after an Ankheg, dragged it out into the open and flipped it over. The effectiveness of grappling is directly proportional to how many pits and cliffs your DM puts into the environment.

EDIT: One situation I have been curious about is how exactly moving something around while grappling works. If I wanted to move a grappled target from one side of my character to the other while not moving myself, would I spend movement to swing the target around? If so, would it cost 15' to move an enemy diagonally twice, or just 10' to move it directly through my own square?

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 24, 2015

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

It's important to remember that in 5e, unlike previous editions, grappling is only inflicted on the target, not yourself. The target's move speed is 0, but you're free to drag them along wherever.

The grapple rules are almost a direct port from 4e, and they weren't great there either aside from a niche build of fighter. And as in 4e, it's not so much that "grappling is bad" as it is "everything else you have at your disposal is better, so it's not very good in comparison."

If you find yourself needing to grapple/prone something though, better off using Open Hand Technique than Shove so you get some damage.

Vanguard Warden posted:

EDIT: One situation I have been curious about is how exactly moving something around while grappling works. If I wanted to move a grappled target from one side of my character to the other while not moving myself, would I spend movement to swing the target around? If so, would it cost 15' to move an enemy diagonally twice, or just 10' to move it directly through my own square?

The rules don't actually have anything to cover that scenario, so it's up to your table. In 4e when you moved you could slide the target 1 square to a square adjacent to you for every square of movement you took, but not actually pivot/rotate its position like that.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 24, 2015

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
So are ability score increases tied to character level, and shown on the class tables for convenience like the proficiency bonus? Or are they actually tied to class levels, so 7 X/13 Y gets me fewer ASIs than 8 X/12 Y?

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Red Metal posted:

So are ability score increases tied to character level, and shown on the class tables for convenience like the proficiency bonus? Or are they actually tied to class levels, so 7 X/13 Y gets me fewer ASIs than 8 X/12 Y?

I believe ASIs are tied to class levels, because some classes (fighters & rogues) get more of them than others.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Red Metal posted:

Class Level. Different classes get varying amounts of them. So if you're a Fighter 6, you'd get 2 ASIs; a Fighter 4/Warlock 2 would have 1, and a Fighter 3/Warlock 3 would have 0.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

The grapple rules are almost a direct port from 4e, and they weren't great there either aside from a niche build of fighter. And as in 4e, it's not so much that "grappling is bad" as it is "everything else you have at your disposal is better, so it's not very good in comparison."

If you find yourself needing to grapple/prone something though, better off using Open Hand Technique than Shove so you get some damage.

The rules don't actually have anything to cover that scenario, so it's up to your table. In 4e when you moved you could slide the target 1 square to a square adjacent to you for every square of movement you took, but not actually pivot/rotate its position like that.

Many melee subclasses don't have an ability that does something akin to grapple, or if they do then it requires some limited resource. A barbarian, for instance, only has grapple as a foe stopper (as well as an optional prone-applying subclass ability, but that's at 17th level, and you have to forego two other really great abilities!)

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Are there any feats that you guys think are under powered or don't really work as intended?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trast posted:

Are there any feats that you guys think are under powered or don't really work as intended?

The worst offender has to be Grappler. Having advantage on attack rolls against creatures with which you are grappling is great, but you can use a Push action to get the same benefit. Restrained is just weird, since you're also inflicting the condition on yourself, so it's really only good if you're going 1v1 (in which case you can still just Push them). The third effect actually does nothing, since you can already grapple with creatures one size larger than you

Weapon Master also seems dubious; you're giving up an ability point for 4 weapon proficiencies.

Skilled seems underpowered. I think 2 skills + an ability point or maybe just 4 skills would be more appropriate

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Trast posted:

It's tough to say for niche, campaign-dependent stuff like Linguist because they're as useful as they come up. But then there's stuff like Magic Initiate...a single level 1 spell and a pair of cantrips, kinda pathetic. The armor proficiency ones are also kinda lame since it's pretty easy to get the armor/AC you want without using your limited feats. Charger, Savage Attacker, Skulker, Tavern Brawler, and Weapon Master are also tough sells just because they don't really offer much of anything to compete with an ASI or the good/better feats (with Charger it's more because it devours your action economy just to move fast & make 1 attack...narrow combat niche compared to other feats).

Grappler is just ugly, it's a trap feat that shouldn't exist.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

QuarkJets posted:

The worst offender has to be Grappler. Having advantage on attack rolls against creatures with which you are grappling is great, but you can use a Push action to get the same benefit. Restrained is just weird, since you're also inflicting the condition on yourself, so it's really only good if you're going 1v1 (in which case you can still just Push them). The third effect actually does nothing, since you can already grapple with creatures one size larger than you

Well sense also dictates that if you push someone your grappling you are no long grappling them, because you pushed them. Restrained is fine you have allies to take advantage of it and no opponents to take advantage of you having the same condition.

But yeah the feat needs work.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well sense also dictates that if you push someone your grappling you are no long grappling them, because you pushed them. Restrained is fine you have allies to take advantage of it and no opponents to take advantage of you having the same condition.

But yeah the feat needs work.

Not going by a literal reading of the rules; shove either knocks a creature prone or moves it away from you, not both. But even if you want to rule it that way, you can Shove an enemy prone and then Grapple them in the same turn. Once you've got them Prone and Grappled, they're basically stuck that way until they can break your Grapple. This is basically the same as Pinning but you don't have to give up 2 ability points to do it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

QuarkJets posted:

Not going by a literal reading of the rules; shove either knocks a creature prone or moves it away from you, not both. But even if you want to rule it that way, you can Shove an enemy prone and then Grapple them in the same turn. Once you've got them Prone and Grappled, they're basically stuck that way until they can break your Grapple. This is basically the same as Pinning but you don't have to give up 2 ability points to do it.

That why I said sense dictates it. It's not really covered in the rules. But I don't think you can shove an enemy prone and grapple them in the same turn. They both cost an action don't they?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
^^^^
Shoving and grappling both say "If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them."

Charger is a good feat. Makes anyone as mobile as a melee rogue and lets you one shot things a lot easier in the early levels. If you're a druid or rogue it's +5 damage in melee most of the time.

Savage Attacker is fine for melee rogues and moon druids with charge forms: characters with single attacks with lots of dice. Especially the latter because stat boosts aren't as important when you just use monster stats anyway.

Skulker is pretty much just for solo scout Assassins, because it makes running away and getting a "reset" surprise round after a botched alpha strike possible.

Tavern Brawler is for rich adventurers who want to throw oil pots, alchemists fire, holy water, and acid all the time for sick damage. Improvised thrown weapons deal 1d4+dex, and on top of that oil increase future fire damage by 5, alchemists fire deals 1d4 fire per round until doused, and the other two deal 2d6 typed damage on top of that. The bonus action grapple can synergize with the Grappler feat, too.

Grappler isn't a trap feat. Advantage and immobilizing something is great. The last thing it does is weird, though. Nowhere else it is mentioned that a grappled target larger than the grappler normally automatically succeeds at grapple escapes. The pinning is going to be a sideways move most of the time. It's not super bad defensively, because since releasing a grapple is not an action you can just let go if something targets you while you're restrained and you don't want to give it advantage on the attack or have DA on a save or whatever. That a sideways move costs an action and takes a check is pretty lame, especially since if want that advantage that the feat gave you on attacks back (it's canceled out by your DA on attacks from being restrained yourself) you have to let go and grab the thing again, which is more actions down the drain.

"Why not just shove things prone if you want advantage" is valid mostly, but more things are immune (Swarms and oozes) or resistant (quadripeds) to prone than grapple. You can grapple a swarm. You can also grapple when poo poo is really going bad and you're blind or something and don't want it to just stand up and walk away.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Trast posted:

Charger should really not have been spun off from a basic move into a feat

Durable relies entirely on the game using rolled HP rules (although I will grant that max HD at level 1 makes this somewhat more tolerable than in previous editions), and feels rather redundant with Tough

Keen Mind, Lingust are some of those RP-reliant feats

This doesn't make it a bad feat per se, but Sentinel feels really awkward because it's the one feat that makes a Fighter a really effective defender, but it's not a Fighter-specific ability.

Grappling aside, I don't really like how unarmed damage needs the Grappler feat just to be able to do 1d4 damage. It ties back to the whole "the players are supposed to be fairly competent heroes" thing

Weapon Master feels awkward, at least to me, because letting the player wield that one kind of weapon they really want should really be more of a "rulings not rules" thing instead of costing them a feat.

This isn't due to the design of the feats themselves, but Defensive Duelist, Sentinel's third clause, Shield Master and really a bunch of other class abilities are all hobbled by the sheer paucity of Reactions that a player gets (and lack of a feat to get more?)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

slydingdoor posted:

Tavern Brawler is for rich adventurers who want to throw oil pots, alchemists fire, holy water, and acid all the time for sick damage. Improvised thrown weapons deal 1d4+dex, and on top of that oil increase future fire damage by 5, alchemists fire deals 1d4 fire per round until doused, and the other two deal 2d6 typed damage on top of that. The bonus action grapple can synergize with the Grappler feat, too.

Was this your plan? Throw oil for 1d4+Dex damage, then throw alchemist fire for 1d4+5 per round?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

slydingdoor posted:

Savage Attacker is fine for melee rogues and moon druids with charge forms: characters with single attacks with lots of dice. Especially the latter because stat boosts aren't as important when you just use monster stats anyway.

There's a difference between "Weapon's damage dice" and "attack's damage dice" as seen for things like critical hits. It rerolls the 1dX on your weapon, not the whole sneak attack or divine smite or whatever extra damage.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Grappling feels kind of vestigial, though, like it's only there because the earlier editions had grappling rules.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Generic Octopus posted:

There's a difference between "Weapon's damage dice" and "attack's damage dice" as seen for things like critical hits. It rerolls the 1dX on your weapon, not the whole sneak attack or divine smite or whatever extra damage.

That is not how critical hits work. Critical hits reroll and add ALL of your dice. This is why the Champion sucks at critical hits. They get the greater threat range but miss out on the extra dice that Battlemasters, Rogues, and Paladins have on occasion. Also attack spells for spellcasters, especially big cantrips like Fire Bolt by 20th level. Also Barbarians when they get the feature to add extra weapon dice on crits.

This is why a Paladin can unload a huge Smite when they know they have crit, and just decimate something.

That said Savage Attacker is only for the weapon dice, not for sneak attack, smite, etc.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 28, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Generic Octopus posted:

Looks like another feat that's only decent for later game moon druids, who can have 4d10 weapons. If you can use it while polymorphed into a Trex with a 4d10 weapon it might be decent too.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

That is not how critical hits work. Critical hits reroll and add ALL of your dice. This is why the Champion sucks at critical hits. They get the greater threat range but miss out on the extra dice that Battlemasters, Rogues, and Paladins have on occasion. Also attack spells for spellcasters, especially big cantrips like Fire Bolt by 20th level. Also Barbarians when they get the feature to add extra weapon dice on crits.

This is why a Paladin can unload a huge Smite when they know they have crit, and just decimate something.

What I was referring to in the second sentence was Savage Attacker, not crits.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

That why I said sense dictates it. It's not really covered in the rules. But I don't think you can shove an enemy prone and grapple them in the same turn. They both cost an action don't they?

They each cost an attack, not an action. Note that this actually makes Shove + Grapple the more economical move if you have at least 2 attacks, since Pinning requires an entire action (IE, 1 attack + 1 action vs 2 attacks)

slydingdoor posted:

Grappler isn't a trap feat. Advantage and immobilizing something is great. The last thing it does is weird, though. Nowhere else it is mentioned that a grappled target larger than the grappler normally automatically succeeds at grapple escapes. The pinning is going to be a sideways move most of the time. It's not super bad defensively, because since releasing a grapple is not an action you can just let go if something targets you while you're restrained and you don't want to give it advantage on the attack or have DA on a save or whatever. That a sideways move costs an action and takes a check is pretty lame, especially since if want that advantage that the feat gave you on attacks back (it's canceled out by your DA on attacks from being restrained yourself) you have to let go and grab the thing again, which is more actions down the drain.

It would be a great feat if you needed it to immobilize things, but you don't; the Grappling attack already immobilizes things without the Grappler feat. The feat only grants you attack advantage and the Pinning move. But I do agree with everything that you said on the Pinning movie; overall it's kind of a lovely feature, since you're giving up the ability to move the target and you're losing attack advantage in exchange for making the target a little more susceptible for your buddies. But in most circumstances you could accomplish the same thing by just shoving and then grappling. The whole Pinning thing is just a terrible waste of an action, it seems

So if you agree that Pin is a lateral move at best, then really you're just gaining advantage on attack rolls while grappling. You get this instead of 2 ability points. It might be an okay feat if Pin was an attack instead of an action, if the third part of the feat actually did something (seriously, that has to be a misprint), and maybe if the feat gave +1 Strength. A new type of not-great attack and advantage on attacks while grappling? Yeah, I might be able to justify spending one ability point on that, but not two.

quote:

"Why not just shove things prone if you want advantage" is valid mostly, but more things are immune (Swarms and oozes) or resistant (quadripeds) to prone than grapple. You can grapple a swarm. You can also grapple when poo poo is really going bad and you're blind or something and don't want it to just stand up and walk away.

Even if you have a DM who would let you grapple a swarm (wtf?) or an ooze (wouldn't that cause you to be engulfed?), taking the grappling feat doesn't actually help you grapple things. In 99% of situations it's better to just shove and then grapple, which grants all of the same advantages as the feat but without costing a feat.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 28, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I think it's safe to say that anything which cannot be proned cannot be pinned.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you really want to start examining feats that immobilize things, I think the best choice is Sentinel. Consider the scenario where you really need to keep one guy locked down. Grappling is what you should do in this situation, but the Grappler feat doesn't help you with grappling checks, it just makes you more likely to attack successfully while already grappling. Even the Pin action doesn't actually further restrain the target, it just makes your friends more likely to hit the target. Sentinel doesn't help you with grappling checks, either, but if he escapes then it does give you a chance to knock the guy's movement to 0, and there's nothing that he can do about it without teleporting or being one of the rare creatures that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity or having some ungodly AC

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Generic Octopus posted:

But then there's stuff like Magic Initiate...a single level 1 spell and a pair of cantrips, kinda pathetic.

In one of the playtests Magic Initiate was worth taking because "you can cast at least one first level spell" was a prereq for something broken which I can't remember the specifics of.

I guess that kind of prereq looks like "you have Spellcasting" now, if it still exists?

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
nope, still 'ability to cast one spell', which magic initiate fulfills.

Uses for Magic Initiate: Casting Bless, 1/day at low levels seems nice. Spare the Dying is auto-stabilize. Cantrips are based on character level so there's that. There's prob a few more selectively useful spells. You can then take Spell Sniper as a monk and pick like, I dunno, Produce Flame? 60 foot range on that would give you a okay ranged option.

Worth two feats? Probably not. Other 1st level spells have uses, but it's really limited with 1/day.

Fighters, Barbs, Rogues tend to have bottomed out mental stats, and if they don't they probably fulfill the spellcasting requirement naturally.

Actual Advice Question: Are there any good ranged options for Open Hand Monks? I got one at the table and tossing darts at disadvantage when something's far away is prob not fun. Anything beyond shoving a shortbow at them?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Magic Initiate has a couple of other edge cases that could make it useful. It helps that cantrips continue to scale. A few are worth taking: Shillelagh is useful for clerics that want to melee and dump str/dex, Eldritch Blast is great on a sorc/bard, etc. Getting an off-class level 1 spell can be useful too if you get the best one (Shield) for your cleric/druid/bard/warlock. Then you can cast it whenever using your normal class spell slots and didn't have to dip wizard.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

As a monk, throw Javelins or daggers, if you can afford/carry them instead of darts. The problem with darts (and shortbows) is they are simple ranged weapons, and don't count as monk weapons. Javs and daggers do, so their damage matches unarmed strike, and if something's in melee range you can throw with Attack and extra attack if you have it, and still qualify for the one bonus action UAS attack from Martial Arts. If you're throwing daggers, you can use two weapon fighting to throw another for that last bit of damage in a pinch, too.

The lower range of these thrown weapons vs the shortbow should be compensated by the increased speed of the monk. One sort of trick is if you have 40ft speed, you can walk up 20ft, throw two javs, then go back to where you started, or find some cover. Of course, if you're that fast you can probably just close the distance and punch everything, maybe with the bonus action dash from Step of the Wind.

If the monk's level 3 and has deflect missiles they should probably put themselves out there and try to be the tank against the ranged weapon attackers.

Cantrips wise, don't take Spare the Dying ever, that's wasting a feat/spell slot for something a 5gp healer's kit can do.

Magic Initiate: Druid for Shillelagh lets you get away with weird ability score arrays with no str or dex, just wis and con. And, hey, secret magic longsword. Grabbing 1/day Goodberry is 10hp of healing and/or can let you feed 10 creatures for free. Allies, yourself, warhorses, mastiffs, elephants, whatever.

Sentinel is a funny feat for stickiness, because it incentivizes things to do smart stuff like focus fire on one guy and to fight to the death instead of running away. If the team is low on healing it can qualify as a trap choice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sentinel only lets you lock down one guy, because it costs your reaction. I don't think that's enough to prevent an entire group from fleeing, or an entire group to focus fire when they otherwise wouldn't

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Even if you have a DM who would let you grapple a swarm (wtf?) or an ooze (wouldn't that cause you to be engulfed?), taking the grappling feat doesn't actually help you grapple things. In 99% of situations it's better to just shove and then grapple, which grants all of the same advantages as the feat but without costing a feat.

30.5 Days posted:

I think it's safe to say that anything which cannot be proned cannot be pinned.

Condition immunity to grappled/restrained is already in the book, ghosts and shades have it. Stuff that can't be knocked prone usually just doesn't have a 'prone' state (If you flip a gelatinous cube upside down, it doesn't care) but you can still grab it. In fact, as written, grappling is very effective against gelatinous cubes; the cube's Engulf action requires it to move into a target's square, and grappled creatures can't move.

The Grappler feat is pretty bad though, and Tavern Brawler loses most of its value if you have a single monk level. If Grappler just had "expertise on Athletics checks that involve grappling" I'd consider it to be worth a slot, but as of now I'd rather have Mobile than either of the two grappling feats on a character built specifically to grapple things, and that seems terrible.

Regarding ranged options for monks, there's always the comedy option of throwing yourself at the target. Step of the Wind (Dash) combined with the Jump spell or Boots of Striding and Springing will let you jump six times as far as normal, which is 18' straight up with another 6' extra per point of strength modifier. If you're dealing with flying creatures, applying grappled/prone/stunned will knock it down.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Speed doesn't help when fighting something that flies though. Which was more of my concern. Had an issue in HotDQ where dragon sat on ceiling 40 ft up. Monk futiley threw darts at disadvantage.

Also, taking Magic Initiate for Eldritch Blast is a poor choice IMO. Spell Sniper can give you it and a few other benefits. I wouldn't knock 1 level dips either. Technically you have more levels than Feats. You also get another perk on top of 2 1st level spells and a cantrip. Downside is usually a stat requirement.

Ex:
Wizard: Arcane Recovery at Lv1 gives you a spell slot back on a short rest.
Sorcerer: Weaker dip. Draconic gives you basically half a Tough feat, with free armor if you usually don't wear any. Wild Magic is Wild Magic.
Cleric: The domain perks are powerful. War gets around proficiency and gives you Heavy Armor and Martial Weapons - which is technically multiple feats worth in itself.
Druid is prob the weakest 1 level dip. Druidic is very situational and mostly RP.

• Locked thread