Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

lol "Oh god he's throwing cards at me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

I don't do a single loop around my palm. Some wrap methods do.

As long as you are doing steps 7-9 securely, there shouldn't be many ways for the wrap to escape:
http://www.ringside.com/blog/boxing-tips-how-to-wrap-your-hands-the-right-way/

Thanks, I looked through this link quickly and got excited because I thought it was totally forgoing the horizontal loops across the knuckles/palm, but nope, there it is in steps 2 and 3. So this does look a lot like what I'm doing. I probably just need practice getting the right amount of slack in the right places, and should also get to class earlier so I'm not in a rush.

On a related note, how do folks feel about the method of sort of bunching up some fabric at the knuckles like a pad, as opposed to doing multiple full loops around? My instinct was that it was dumb because the purpose of wraps is compression rather than padding, but I've also seen guys way better than me do it. :shrug:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Decades posted:

On a related note, how do folks feel about the method of sort of bunching up some fabric at the knuckles like a pad, as opposed to doing multiple full loops around? My instinct was that it was dumb because the purpose of wraps is compression rather than padding, but I've also seen guys way better than me do it. :shrug:

That's how I do it. For me, the wraps are to stabilize the hand relative to the forearm, so the layering around the wrist is key to limiting range of motion. You get more inches toward that if you just do the layers over the knuckles.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I briefly trained in a Bujinkan dojo 15 years ago, the instructor there took up kickboxing and went on to become British champion, he could fight. (this is him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5wkCFh_uV8)

I then went through a few other Bujinkan dojos to find a replacement and they were all universally terrible so I gave up.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I think the Bujinkan stuff is pretty cool though. I dislike the bujinkans (or whatever) who think that live sparring isn't a thing, but a kickboxing former or current Bujinkan instructor probably knows how to do this "fighting" stuff also. Maybe he can flip some cards or magic dust *AHAHAHA* no really, if someone is decent in BJJ I couldn't care less if they attended Bujinkan seminars every week.

For me it's kinda like sword fighting/fencing/aikido as self-defence.

I'm sure it's fun, and really fun if you are into ninjas and LARPing poo poo. Just pray that your instructor isn't one of those who buys into it 100% and tells you these secret techniques will conquer all your enemies. And I honestly don't believe most are, nor the practitioners.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I remember reading somewhere that as far as anybody can tell, ninjitsu was invented in the 1970s by a JJJ gym. Historians don't really know anything about ninjas, and all the typical 'ninja stuff' like the uniform, weapons etc comes from folklore and theatre traditions.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
My cousin teaches kids tai jitsu which I think is the same thing, he is hilariously bad at grappling and highly unathletic and all his students look bad and dumb doing things.

The class is ostensibly to help stop bullying and I'd hate to see one of them get in way over their heads in a fight.

They don't spar.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Some of the koryus still have 'ninjutsu' in them. It basically means 'covert warfare' and refers to techniques that were relevant 400 years ago and as such is treated like a historical curiosity and are maintained (as in keeping them alive) only by a handful.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
MA thread help me. How the hell do I wind off a good round of sparring? I'm having difficulty sleeping after a spar. Like yesterday we ended our rolls at around 21:00 but my mind was still full of BJJ and I couldn't get to sleep before like 02:00 or something. What do you guys do to get your mind back to neutral?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I've had that problem, my monday boxing class finished at 9:30. I tend to zone out watching relaxing youtube videos or AMSR stuff while I eat my greek yoghurt

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

General Emergency posted:

MA thread help me. How the hell do I wind off a good round of sparring? I'm having difficulty sleeping after a spar. Like yesterday we ended our rolls at around 21:00 but my mind was still full of BJJ and I couldn't get to sleep before like 02:00 or something. What do you guys do to get your mind back to neutral?

If my minds just spinning, I'll try to focus on something like reading, playing a video game, musical instrument, (insert hobby here) etc just to get my mind on something else.

If it feels like my brain is actually trying to drop some subconscious bjj science on me though, I'd turn off all distractions (music, tv, etc) and just sit there and try to absorb it. I do this a lot in the car on the way to/from the gym.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
DRUGZ. Take a sleeping pill or morphine. Or perhaps what is called "Pavel Datsyuk's Recovery Drink". You know, the Russian hockey player.

Back in 07 or 08 he was playing like a magician. He had been one of the top centers in the league for years but suddenly took it to yet another level. So after one game where he dominated the ice on both directions, an amazed reporter asks: "But Pavel! What have you done to prepare for this season, what are you doing differently? Because you are even better than before, how is that even possible?" And Pavel responds with his broken English: "Before this season, every day when I get home from game, I drink one glass of vodka. But this season, I drink two glass of vodka!" Hence "Pavel Datsyuk's Recovery Drink".

So maybe try shooting down two glasses of vodka after you get home and finish your dinner, bro, it'll take the edge off, calm you down, and who knows... maybe it'll elevate your game to the next level at the same time!

If I have a really good boxing session which ends at 21:30, I won't be sleeping until 01:00. If then.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I take a shower, then eat and then watch one episode of a tv show. Then I go bed and try to sleep using my usual tricks.

I get home a little pas 9pm and I'm sleeping somewhere between 11pm and 12pm

If I skip the TV show I usually have trouble sleeping

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 24, 2015

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hot shower, some over the counter pain pills with sleeping aid medication, some computer times and finally I go to bed.

Then i spend the next couple of hours rolling, shrimping and rotating in bed. Its both funny and annoying as gently caress.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Haha, glad I'm not the only one who sleep rolls

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Judo basically destroyed my sleep cycle, thank god I'm not the only one.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Just want to say a big thank you to the guy who posted the Westside for Skinny Bastards workout earlier

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Nick Diaz PED's plus a book usually puts me to sleep after a long day of training. Don't worry about the bullshit the blue belts tried all day. Sleep is much more important than people give it credit for. It's not just for when you're dead, it's also for when you're training to beat Kakarot.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Have sex then go to sleep.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hahaha at nightly rolling. Don't worry over it, guyz. One of my friends who singlemindendly trains every day (when not injured) gets into violent kickboxing fights during the night; to an extent that when the alarm wakes her up, she's on the floor with every textile formerly in bed draped around her... not your average person though.

Syphilis Fish posted:

Nick Diaz PED's

lolll, "Nick Diaz PED's" and "Pavel Datsyuk's Recovery Drink".

Both known as terrific sports enhancers every trainer will approve of. Granted, approve more of the former than the latter...

1st AD posted:

what do u suggest a goon can have a MY GIRLFRIEND

we don't belive it

Ligur fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 24, 2015

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Could be boyfriend

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Pony fleshlight

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Check this out, it's a round of boxing! (Leonard vs Hagler, round 9)

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

1st AD posted:

That PED is difficult to get by goons.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

de la peche posted:

Pony fleshlight

Japanese fleshlights :smug:

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

Japanese fleshlights :smug:

You could have those things in a table and pass them as art and no one would be the wiser.

Except for the vagina like gap.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Lamadrid posted:

Except for the vagina like gap.

And the smell

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
One of the best weight assisted trainingz for a martial artist who needs powerful thighs, butt and hamstings, and wants to train his core (you need to stabilize the gently caress out of it) and get his heart rate soaring at the same time: WALKING LUNGES#%%! Try, it if you haven't. I would imagine this works very well for grapplers.

We lunged back and forth a 30 feet corridor today (I had a 16kg kettlebell in each hand, enough for me). The experience is similarly vomit inducing as a leg day! Or then you can just squat or deadlift but the walking lunges just hit me like a motherfucker even compared to those two.

(Or if you just want a kimkardashianesque butt if ur are a girl who wants a butt every other girl is envious of.)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ligur posted:

One of the best weight assisted trainingz for a martial artist who needs powerful thighs, butt and hamstings, and wants to train his core (you need to stabilize the gently caress out of it) and get his heart rate soaring at the same time: WALKING LUNGES#%%! Try, it if you haven't. I would imagine this works very well for grapplers.

We lunged back and forth a 30 feet corridor today (I had a 16kg kettlebell in each hand, enough for me). The experience is similarly vomit inducing as a leg day! Or then you can just squat or deadlift but the walking lunges just hit me like a motherfucker even compared to those two.

(Or if you just want a kimkardashianesque butt if ur are a girl who wants a butt every other girl is envious of.)

Lunges crew represent. I like to do them with a single dumbbell or medicine ball held in front of you, and do a twist towards whichever leg is in front on each lunge. Amazing for balance, and it's funny to see people who are new to the exercise fall over.

Hindu squats are another amazing lower-body exercise for grapplers, due to the balance aspect and the activation of your calves and abductors.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 25, 2015

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Lunges crew represent. I like to do them with a single dumbbell or medicine ball held in front of you, and do a twist towards whichever leg is in front on each lunge. Amazing for balance, and it's funny to see people who are new to the exercise fall over.

Oh man yes, I have a friend who used to play (American) football and he does walking lunges while balancing some obscene weight directly on top of his head, or if there is space, carrying a barbell. Crazy poo poo.

Also, people who are new to lunges to begin with fall over, or teeter on the edge.... doing just normal lunges standing in place, with no weights. Which gives you a hint about the exercise. When someone can do stepping lunges carrying heavy poo poo in front or on top of him, that isn't anything to look down on.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Re ninjutsu: you will notice in the op I try to play nice with every ma. Except ninjutsu because it's so awful.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
A few weeks ago we did lunges with another person across our shoulders as a warmup. It sucked realising I'm unable to manage a single proper lunge with no more than roughly my bodyweight on my back.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

DekeThornton posted:

A few weeks ago we did lunges with another person across our shoulders as a warmup. It sucked realising I'm unable to manage a single proper lunge with no more than roughly my bodyweight on my back.

On the other hand, that's a gigantic amount of weight for a lunge and a good way for people to pull their groins and blow out their knees. Especially with a not-balanced amount of living weight on your shoulders. Martial arts coaches can be really fuckin' dumb about conditioning stuff sometimes.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hindu squats are another amazing lower-body exercise for grapplers, due to the balance aspect and the activation of your calves and abductors.

I used to be all about hindu squats until I found out how terrible they are for the knees

Lungetalk- we do the 'push kick then land in a lunge' walks and they usually kill me before I've even made it once around the mat it's really embarrassing

Also this weird inversion maneuver has become one of my favorite warmups https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10202591367564680

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

A Wry Smile posted:

I used to be all about hindu squats until I found out how terrible they are for the knees

Lungetalk- we do the 'push kick then land in a lunge' walks and they usually kill me before I've even made it once around the mat it's really embarrassing

Also this weird inversion maneuver has become one of my favorite warmups https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10202591367564680

There's no evidence I can find that hindu squats done correctly shear your knees. Do them properly, slowly, and with a conservative range. People are just idiots and go too deep, too fast, too many reps, or add weight.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Adding conditioning or strength training to your ma filled weeks is always been a bit of an mystery to me. If you wanna get good, the bulk of your training should be ma training, so if you manage to have 5 or 6 of those, that's great, but a regular person like me is pretty done after that, no way I'm lifting or running on top of that. Two or three of those ma sessions have to be more technique oriented and less rolling, sparring and conditioning if I want to have that much training in my week. I don't understand how pro-atheletes do it, other than roids and having a lot of lighter training.

As a regular dude it is very satisfying to dominate a bigger and stronger dude who uses half of his training time time lifting and conditioning (and roiding) because I use all of my training time in ma. I understand if you want to do all kinds of stuff for fun, that's of course great, but if you wanna get good you should be using your time in your chosen sport.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Adding conditioning or strength training to your ma filled weeks is always been a bit of an mystery to me. If you wanna get good, the bulk of your training should be ma training, so if you manage to have 5 or 6 of those, that's great, but a regular person like me is pretty done after that, no way I'm lifting or running on top of that. Two or three of those ma sessions have to be more technique oriented and less rolling, sparring and conditioning if I want to have that much training in my week. I don't understand how pro-atheletes do it, other than roids and having a lot of lighter training.

As a regular dude it is very satisfying to dominate a bigger and stronger dude who uses half of his training time time lifting and conditioning (and roiding) because I use all of my training time in ma. I understand if you want to do all kinds of stuff for fun, that's of course great, but if you wanna get good you should be using your time in your chosen sport.

It's not a choice between "all martial arts training" and "half martial arts training, half weight training". You find the balance that works for you. For some it might be 4-5 days of the week at class, and 1-2 days working cardio and strength training outside of class.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

ManOfTheYear posted:

Not everyone can train their MA more than 2-3 times a week (money, classes available, etc.)
Conditioning has it's value (if you are ~ equally skilled, being stronger/having more cardio will make you win)
If you're intelligent about how you lift, you can lift a few times a week while still going to MA classes very frequently. You're not going to squat with heavy loads 3 tims a week though.

But yeah, of course conditionning should not be your priority if your goal is being as good as possible at judo/bjj/boxing/whatever

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DekeThornton posted:

That's just plain stupid. Even for heavy workouts, we(Crossfit gym) rarely use more than 75lbs for walking lunges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

KingColliwog posted:

If you're intelligent about how you lift, you can lift a few times a week while still going to MA classes very frequently.

I guess this is the hardest part of it, I have no idea what is the correct way. Going too light is not terribly effective and going too hard taxes your body too much. I think you'd have to experiment a lot before you find something that suits you, but I never had the patience for that.

• Locked thread