Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jackard posted:

Just cannot see why I should ever go to the Warrens. The other two are much less annoying.

Its got nice battle music :v:

I hate those pig fucks but I don't think they are bad enough that I actively avoid the warrens. Also the scrolls that spawn inside the warrens have a 100% chance of removing negative quirks if you use a torch on them, which is really nice.

paranoid randroid posted:

I find it kinda funny that, due to the way Death's Door and turn orders shake out, Wilbur has a higher body count in my game than the Swine King.

Wilbur is a stone cold killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Accidentally embarked in a medium Room Battle mission without torches. Finished it in like 3 rooms feeling pretty bad rear end about myself. Then I forgot to camp to remove stress! Grrr.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jackard posted:

Just cannot see why I should ever go to the Warrens. The other two are much less annoying.

Its the only currently available dungeon that primarily drops portraits.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Its the only currently available dungeon that primarily drops portraits.

Don't the Warrens have more scrolls lying around too? Bring a ton of torches and some mentally unstable adventurers with some good quirks and save on Sanitarium expenses.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mzbundifund posted:

I thought new negative quirks could replace existing ones, so you can never immunize your guy by letting him fill up on meaningless won't-stress-relief traits.

I dunno, I ran through a 2-camp extermination run and had my Crusader who's filled to the brim with negative and positive traits check all bookshelves, stacks of books, etc and he never once got a new negative trait. Could be a bug, could not be, who knows.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

I find it kinda funny that, due to the way Death's Door and turn orders shake out, Wilbur has a higher body count in my game than the Swine King.

Agreed with this 100%. Swine King isn't the boss of the Warrens. 3 turn Stunlocking. Lord of Dodgeball, Wilbur is.

No joke he 3 turn stunlocked my group in a row.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

I lose more characters to bleed than anything else to be honest with you.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wilbur has killed 3 of my dungeonmans, in a single fight. The entire rest of the game combined has killed two.

An even cooler way to look at Wilbur: He has killed 10 levels worth of heroes. The entire rest of the game has killed 0.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Wilber killed one Vestal of mine, apart from that, I've never lost anyone to any of the levels of Swine King since. Three Crusaders and a Vestal pretty much make that fight a joke. Since Wilbur ALWAYS goes first, and the Swing King ALWAYS goes last in my parties, it's easy enough to just have the crusaders use their protection buff if they get targeted.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've lost more level 3+ characters to Wilbur than to anything else, definitely. Possibly more 3+ to Wilbur than to all others combined but I'd have to check.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Apparently the the most lethal enemy in the game! :buddy:

I'm glad I've never lost anyone to Wilbur's stunlock shenanigans. However I've had at least 3 party members get boiled by the Hag so all my troubles happen at that boss instead.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Wilbur rocks.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

RottenK posted:

Wilbur rocks.

The real power behind the throne. Think about it, who tells the King which guys to hit?

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Hag; Three Bounty Hunters and a Vestal, Ignore Pot, Kill Hag, leave guy to die.
Swine King; Three Crusaders and a Vestal, buff before getting hit. Hit King, use Vestal to stun Wilbur when he's by himself.
Necromancer; At least one Crusader, either Another Crusader or Highwayman. Bounty Hunter, and a Vestal. AoE Skellies, use the Bounty Hunter to constantly hit the Necro unless there's 3 Skeletons on the field.

Honestly, with the Crusader's low Accuracy, the Necromancer is the one I have the hardest time on, two misses in a row really hurts in that fight. :(

It's also worth noting, 'marked for death', and 'flashbang' are loving ridiculously overpowered on bosses.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm too scared of losing my precious warriors to try it (more like "don't wanna grind that class up again" really), what happens if you take out Wilbur before the King?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Chard posted:

I'm too scared of losing my precious warriors to try it (more like "don't wanna grind that class up again" really), what happens if you take out Wilbur before the King?

Horrible, horrible things.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Chard posted:

You'll die before you manage that most likely. Every hit Wilbur takes causes the King to get an additional hit. So unless you crit Wilbur and one-shot him, chances are you're going to take full party damage two or three times.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Kaldaris posted:

Swine King; Three Crusaders and a Vestal, buff before getting hit. Hit King, use Vestal to stun Wilbur when he's by himself.

That's ballsy since Wilbur has 70% stun resist and often he'll mark two heroes at once. He'd be cake if he only marked one.

Also if you kill Wilbur, the boss basically goes into crazy mode.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
70% stun resist isn't that high.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
It's very stunnable. I also don't bother unless he's by himself. (Since the Vestal's stun only hits the front two slots.)

:EDIT:

I should also note, 100% stun resist isn't that high either. Flashbangs have like a 200% Stun Base, they're crazy.

Kaldaris fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 23, 2015

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Oh man then I probably could've beat him then.

Learn something new about this game every time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chard posted:

Have you ever hit Wilbur to see what happened before, and got clobbered by the Swine King with a hits-all 10-20 damage stun attack? If you kill Wilbur, that's all the Swine King does from then on. He will stunlock your party to death guaranteed.

I finally upgraded the final thing I needed to in town, the camp lady. Now I get to just trash any heirlooms I find and load up on gold, trinkets and supplies, hurrah!

My go-to for Hag fights is Crusader, 2 Highwaymen, and a Vestal. Crusader focuses on the pot, highwaymen shoot the hag, vestal heals people/zaps the hag occasionally. Works great, nobody's died yet on 6+ fights.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Just fought swine king for the first time, immediatly pulled forward and killed willbur, and then died horrible as my team got pounded to death way faster than I could ever realisticly heal through or kill the boss through.
Killing wilbur powers up the swine king to the point of making the fight I think actually impossible. A lesson learned for next time.

I'm really not enjoying the mechanic of level 3 people refusing to go fight the swine king. I get them not wanting you to farm easy missions on experienced characters for free money, but having to worry about things like "Oh drat, my only < 3 healer just leveled up, now I can't really run level 1 missions until a new healer shows up in the caravan." really sucks.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 23, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rank 2 dudes kinda trivialize the starter missions if you upgrade their equipment/skills so it's understandable they don't want you steamrolling lower-level missions with monstrously powerful guys.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I've beaten the Swine Prince post killing Wilbur but it killed all but two of my party members. It was the result of one of my crusaders reaching 100 stress, and then ignoring my directions in favor of holy lance criting Wilbur to death.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If something like that happens and you're not running the first chance you get(if you get one) you're asking for it honestly.

I didn't run the one time two guys resisted stun and that was the only chance I got.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks all. My every videogame instinct was telling me to focus down the King first and that's what I did the one time I've fought him, glad to know the alternative would have been ghoulish death.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Prince was at like 60 hp, I was sure there wouldn't be anything to it. As it turns out I was wrong. I also have a horrible fear of retreating because it always seems to fail.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Rank 2 dudes kinda trivialize the starter missions if you upgrade their equipment/skills so it's understandable they don't want you steamrolling lower-level missions with monstrously powerful guys.

I think the answer to this would be to let you decide whether you want to level up a person or leave them at current rank on the end of mission screen. Since you need party members of different level tiers, it can actually be really damaging to have the wrong people level up at certain times.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Has there been any indication at all if there will be more content added (dungeons, classes, items, etc.) prior to the full release in 5 months?

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
This game really triggered my OCD, I just finished all the quests. It kind of reminds me of a turn-based Diablo. Adding more trinkets, preferably with some randomness in their stats, would go a long way toward keeping me on the hamster wheel for the long term.

Other than that, the I'd love to see the usual convenience factors everybody wants: unequip all trinkets button, torch button, and chat bubbles not pausing the game.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Time_pants posted:

Has there been any indication at all if there will be more content added (dungeons, classes, items, etc.) prior to the full release in 5 months?

The Cove (New area), The Arbalest, The Houndmaster, and The Man at Arms are all slated for release soon(ish?)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I want to play the Cove so badly just to see all the monsters that will be in it.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

The 4th dungeon will be really nice for more efficiently being able to grind the upgrade materials you want too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Internet Kraken posted:

I want to play the Cove so badly just to see all the monsters that will be in it.

I hope it's like, pirate ghosts and fish ghosts and giant crabs

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I want to play the Darkest Dungeon and have things go awfully wrong every single time.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Macaluso posted:

I hope it's like, pirate ghosts and fish ghosts and giant crabs

Most of the art and concept art for the monsters there are already in the files, if you want to spoil it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

This is what its gonna look like:

:getin:

Broken Cog posted:

Most of the art and concept art for the monsters there are already in the files, if you want to spoil it.

I don't think any of the enemies are actually in the files yet, but I could be missing something.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think any of the enemies are actually in the files yet, but I could be missing something.

Huh, they must have removed it with a patch or something, because I can't find them now, but I swear it was there a couple of weeks back. I still remember some of the monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Broken Cog posted:

Huh, they must have removed it with a patch or something, because I can't find them now, but I swear it was there a couple of weeks back. I still remember some of the monsters.

They probably removed it in the patch that encrypted the save files. Spoilsports! :cheeky: