Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mans posted:

You guys keep adding so much detail to the non-war aspect of HoI4 that i feel like i'll be too busy playing with those instead of doing a messy, busy and annoying war.
"Sorry Czechoslovakia, we're busy holding a push-up contest."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Takanago posted:

Actually all world leader portraits are just pictures of Hitler in various costumes and hats

Sold.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Takanago posted:

Actually all world leader portraits are just pictures of Hitler in various costumes and hats

You know, there probably IS a market for a 'Binding of Adolf' cosmetic DLC.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I hear again and again not to play the '33 start in DH. Why exactly not? And which start is the best, then?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lynneth posted:

I hear again and again not to play the '33 start in DH. Why exactly not? And which start is the best, then?
The AI scripting for the '33 start is a little weird, and can cause militaries and industries to be all out of whack by the time WWII starts. Plus Palestine or Jordan always seems to revolt, but no one else here ever mentions that so it might just be me i dunno

The '36 start is generally considered the proper 'Grand Campaign' start.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The extra preparation time is a boon or a bane depending on how you feel about it, but the first year or so is really railroady.

Honestly 80% of my Darkest Hour games have been Kaiserreich and 15% have been other alternate scenario mods so I have no idea what the base game really plays like.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Enjoy posted:

badgame has

This should be used for all Believable Worlds screenshots.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Mans posted:

You guys keep adding so much detail to the non-war aspect of HoI4 that i feel like i'll be too busy playing with those instead of doing a messy, busy and annoying war.

And you better show me the portrait of Stalin and Churchill.

I posted them somewhere on paradox forums before but I cant find it right now, so here is a fresh upload

<3 dat stalin dreamy eyed gaze

Rincewind posted:

q. What dimensions are HoI4 flags?

88x56 I think.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

vyelkin posted:

This should be used for all Believable Worlds screenshots.

Why the hell didn't someone tell me about this blog sooner, it owns. Including submissions from Hearts of Iron III is cheating, though.

Also those portraits own, can't wait to make ones for Kaiserreich.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

podcat posted:

I posted them somewhere on paradox forums before but I cant find it right now, so here is a fresh upload

You guys need to make a fighting game and have these portraits in the character selection screen.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

You guys need to make a fighting game and have these portraits in the character selection screen.

someone contact Nintendo we can get them in the next Super Smash Bros

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

podcat posted:

88x56 I think.

drat, that's beautiful. Look at Stalin's proud, determined look. Look at Churchill's provocative "come hither, my parents aren't home" eyes.

Holy poo poo, does that mean you have Salazar and Franco too? :eyepop:

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Mans posted:

Holy poo poo, does that mean you have Salazar and Franco too? :eyepop:

yes, but no more freebies ;) I'll try to show them off in future diaries instead

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fintilgin posted:

Want to give Jake Solomon the brofist (for a reason other then XCOM)

Don't let Johan see this! He'll remove the pause button out of spite.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 21, 2015

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

PleasingFungus posted:

Don't let Johan see this!

Why?

I already follow him on twitter.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pdxjohan posted:

Why?

I already follow him on twitter.

We forget nothing!

pdxjohan posted:

100% true. Turnbased should not be present in modern computer games.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PleasingFungus posted:

Don't let Johan see this! He'll remove the pause button out of spite.

All must be enlightened by this undeniable, fundamental truth. Paradox games are turn based with variable length turns. Forever and ever. Amen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

All must be enlightened by this undeniable, fundamental truth. Paradox games are turn based with variable length turns. Forever and ever. Amen.

paradox games are turn based where the turns can process automatically at the speed of your choosing.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

podcat posted:

88x56 I think.

It's no fair, I want to mod HoI4 when it comes out, I want to mod Skylines when it comes out, and I'm modding CK2. There's too much modding to be done!

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

pdxjohan posted:

100% true. Turnbased should not be present in modern computer games.

:ironicat: :eyepop:

The level of betrayal I felt when Johan [and so on..]

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

It's no fair, I want to mod HoI4 when it comes out, I want to mod Skylines when it comes out, and I'm modding CK2. There's too much modding to be done!

HOI4s combat is cool and everything but is there any reason to not spam Zeppelins?

Anyway I in my DH game I've defeated Russia and the UK. The US offered me a truce, which I refused, leading to myself getting nuked. If I turn up AI agressiveness, will this make the USA+Commonwealth tougher to fight or just more suicidal?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I've never been able to figure out what aggressiveness does but cranking up the difficultly level will give the AI more IC, resources and bonuses in combat while reducing yours.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

SkySteak posted:

HOI4s combat is cool and everything but is there any reason to not spam Zeppelins?
I tried adding Crimson Skies-like zeppelins to DH once, got the tech trees and units and all that sorted, but for the life of me I couldn't come up with a satisfactory set of stats for Zeppelins as a combat unit that would mesh well with the rest of the military units in the game.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

DrSunshine posted:

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Someone, somewhere, is going to make bank by creating an Injustice: 1941

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

podcat posted:

88x56 I think.

Future mega-campaign players thank you for not making the flags like twice the size of Victoria 2's or anything like that. :v:

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Anyway I in my DH game I've defeated Russia and the UK. The US offered me a truce, which I refused, leading to myself getting nuked. If I turn up AI agressiveness, will this make the USA+Commonwealth tougher to fight or just more suicidal?
Someone posted once that AI aggressiveness changes how likely it will be for the AI to declare war on other countries.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

paradox games are turn based where the turns can process automatically at the speed of your choosing.

Paradox games are turn based but the turns are just really short. One hour in HOI, one day in all the rest.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Bozart posted:

Someone, somewhere, is going to make bank by creating an Injustice: 1941

Why not name it Schindler's Fist? :v:

How would colonial countries work in HoI? I touched the series briefly for HoI II and it was too complex for me at the time. HoI IV has my interest though, but I'd love to play an african country of sorts and help out against the Nazis.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Quantumfate posted:

Why not name it Schindler's Fist? :v:

How would colonial countries work in HoI? I touched the series briefly for HoI II and it was too complex for me at the time. HoI IV has my interest though, but I'd love to play an african country of sorts and help out against the Nazis.

The colonial empires are usually just worthless provinces of the home countries rather than playable puppet states. The exceptions are Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Darkest Hour does add a fair few others like French Indochina and the Mandate for Syria, but generally South Africa, Liberia and Ethiopia are the only states in Africa.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

podcat posted:

I'd suggest playing Here I Stand instead. Very EU feel and fun but less messy (still a bit messy though).

btw latest HOI4 diary up here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?837120-Hearts-of-Iron-IV-Dev-Diary-13-Conscription-amp-Training

I wish we could have an experience system like that for EU4. Might use too many resources to track xp for each regiment but it would kinda make sense. Mercenaries could be balanced around it as well and maybe spawn with different xp values for different costs.
Tradition sort of covers parts of the experience system but I find it lacking because it only affects troops with actual leaders assigned.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Tahirovic posted:

I wish we could have an experience system like that for EU4. Might use too many resources to track xp for each regiment but it would kinda make sense. Mercenaries could be balanced around it as well and maybe spawn with different xp values for different costs.
Tradition sort of covers parts of the experience system but I find it lacking because it only affects troops with actual leaders assigned.

Back in my game design class at uni we once had to propose a change to an existing game and write up why you thought it would improve the game - My idea was adding unit XP to EUIII.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Darkrenown posted:

Back in my game design class at uni we once had to propose a change to an existing game and write up why you thought it would improve the game - My idea was adding unit XP to EUIII.

If anything I would love to have its statistics, like kill count. How many battles has this regiment been part of, how many enemy soldiers have they killed. Etc,. etc. (Like in Starcraft). Would be awesome to look back and find that the Konstantinyye Third Regiment has survived 200 years of your rule and participated in all from the cleansing of heresy in Persia to the defense of the empire in the Balkans. Perhaps regiments that manage somehow (well decided by a random factor I guess) distinguish themselves would get a nickname like "White Skull" etc. But that is more for HOI4 kind of thing since that's a modern thing to do.

I would also like that as a general thing. How many people died in this war? Civilian and military, etc. You kind of get that indirectly in Victoria 2 but it still doesn't summarize it for you. "Your war over rubber in Africa just killed 4 million people and de-located 10 million more. At least only 15 000 brits died, good job!"

But it all boils down to memory, this would increase the memory usage of every regiment by a lot more.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 23, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
What would be interesting is if your generals could gain a following in democratic countries and become leaders of the country, granting like a rebel risk reduction or more army moral.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

What would be interesting is if your generals could gain a following in democratic countries and become leaders of the country, granting like a rebel risk reduction or more army moral.

Paradox continues to tease Rome 2.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So i'm playing Darkest Hour as Germany. The 33 start because I want to get a handle on trade and economics and technology. Also to see which allies I can get and so on.

Anyway. I bagged Brazil, Portugal and Yugoslavia. Then the spanish civil war triggers and I send aid to the nationalists. But they're losing and I can't have that so I declare war on the republicans and land a few divisions to help Franco and bag another ally for the axis.

But.. if I defeat the republicans, can I give the land back to Nationalist Spain? Or do I have to annex the entire country myself?

Also. Will I get Italy and Japan as allies through events or do I have to work on it?

Also. Why are my allies AI so.. bad? I mean. Portugal joined the war but isn't sending anything into Spain. They are just sitting there, getting bombed by the republic? Do I always need to take command of their troops?

and another question. How playable is Communist Germany?

Affi fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 23, 2015

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
You can trade provinces that you own (not just occupy) through the open negotiations menu. In order to own them you'll have to get them legally transferred to you either through a peace deal or having either you or the Nats annex them. I can't remember with regards to Italy but Japan is in a separate alliance from the Axis because otherwise they'd be automatically dragged into war with the USSR.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chief Savage Man posted:

You can trade provinces that you own (not just occupy) through the open negotiations menu. In order to own them you'll have to get them legally transferred to you either through a peace deal or having either you or the Nats annex them. I can't remember with regards to Italy but Japan is in a separate alliance from the Axis because otherwise they'd be automatically dragged into war with the USSR.

This shouldn't be necessary for Spain at least. Generally if you have an ally with core province claims on another country and you annex that country, your ally will take all of their claims automatically. So if Germany is allied to Nationalist Spain and annexes Republican Spain, Nationalist Spain should get all their cores (which is every Spanish province, maybe minus a colony or two if you bothered to take those useless provinces). It gets a bit wonky if you annex the country and then ally with the other one, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Re: generalchat in PDox games-
In EU4 I would really like in if the General and Admiral system would get an overhaul and you would always have a general in charge of an army (except 1 stacks, or any army that is over size X, or has over half of your combat width of infantry and cavalry, or something). Depending on your army/navy tradition and ideas, the generals would start with better stats. These generals and admirals could improve over time and gain traits like they can in CKII and HoI. Because of the time period, these generals could have traits that make them more liable to rebel or do other "internal management" esque things. The Mil/Dip point cost could then be associated with firing generals or admirals with bad traits instead of hiring them.
One thing I am not a huge fan of is investing 50mil or 50 dip points in a general or admiral only for them to be dogshit awful, and I dont even play Ironman so I really could fix the issue with the console if I wanted. I just think it would be great if every army and navy had a 'captain' or something and you could promote them to a full time general/admiral for a few MPs, and it would cost MPs to fire bad generals/admirals.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Affi posted:

Also. Why are my allies AI so.. bad? I mean. Portugal joined the war but isn't sending anything into Spain. They are just sitting there, getting bombed by the republic? Do I always need to take command of their troops?

and another question. How playable is Communist Germany?

I always take control of allied troops and use them as my own auxiliaries. You will use those troops far, far more effectively than the AI will.

Example: in a big game I did as the UK in vanilla Darkest Hour (from the '36 start date), I used Commonwealth troops pretty heavily in North Africa. Once I'd kicked the Italians out, the Canadians and the (victorious) Republican Spanish held the line together on the Pyrenees against Germany while I used my British troops to liberate Greece and southern Italy.

As far as Communist Germany goes, it's possible from the 33 start and it's sortakinda fun for a change, I guess. I don't recall if vanilla DH adds the flavor events for Communist Germany or if that was a mod I played years ago, but I know you have some stuff like deciding your brand of communism, picking a new country name/flag, etc. And I want to say Communist Germany gets some kind of equivalent of the Treaty of Munich/Anschluss/Danzig or War decisions too, but don't quote me on that. The only time I ever did a Communist Germany game, I didn't join COMINTERN and instead carved my own Slightly-Less-Oppressive communist bloc out of Europe, and eventually was at war with the Soviets.

As Germany, being allied to the USSR is basically cheating.

• Locked thread