Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
I am looking for a multi-effects unit because I don't really have a lot of experience with pedals so I am looking for a relatively inexpensive way sample lot's of effects etc. So far on my radar is the zoom g3x, the GT-10, or the eleven rack. Which of these do you guys think provide the best experience? Thanks for the feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

faddypaddy posted:

I am looking for a multi-effects unit because I don't really have a lot of experience with pedals so I am looking for a relatively inexpensive way sample lot's of effects etc. So far on my radar is the zoom g3x, the GT-10, or the eleven rack. Which of these do you guys think provide the best experience? Thanks for the feedback.
I think the 11R has the best overall sound followed by the Boss and then the G3X.

In terms of effect flexibility, the G3X is probably in the lead, followed by the Boss, then the 11R (my biggest bitch with the 11R was the lack of pitch shifting, mainly an octave fuzz or a simple octave up).

That being said, I'd still recommend the 11R, just because it sounds incredible, is built like a tank, is a recording interface, has a pretty nice standalone editor (Mac or PC) and doubles as a very very nice live setup.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Don't mean to be the iostream nut swinging echo chamber, but I use my Eleven rack for practice and band stuff with zero complaints.

Downside being the limited range of effects when compared to some units - but seriously, this has never been a huge factor for me as the quality of what is there is amazing for $300. The user/paid patches you can acquire only make it that much better.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

That YouTube channels rules. That's a nice break from the usual playthroughs. DLJ is rad.

fun story from my weekend:

Find out Dick Dale is playing close to here around my birthday

Have my monthly Dick obsession triggered

Bust out Dick book

Get incredibly frustrated because I can't even begin to touch his songs

And now? Yeah I'm challenged and annoyed and I'm going to put in some serious hours with the metronome and get the speed back that I lost after my metal days. I'll never be able to sound like the man but if I could learn a good chunk of his music that would mean a lot and also provides a good goal.

The best part about doing this is that you will pick up techniques and ideas (what if instead of this chord I do this) along with the nice solid goal line where you can feel like you made real progress and not just dicking around on the guitar

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, also a perfectly good excuse to play REALLY LOUD. Cause you're the king of the surf guitar!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

faddypaddy posted:

Have you considered the BOSS ME-80? It's got a crapload of effects with five independent 'pedal' slots (i.e. amp model, EQ, modulation, compression, distortion, reverb, delay) each with three separate dials, a Wah, USB out for recording, Mono/Stereo out, etc.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.

faddypaddy posted:

If you already have a good amp or solid amp tone, generally speaking, I think you're best off getting a line6 m5/9/13. I have an m9 and what I like about it is that it only models pedals. Not amps or cabs. Most MEs model amps and cabs and when you put that in front of an already-good sounding tube amp you get a weird mess.

The dirt models are only "good" but the delays and verbs are faaaantastic.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

epoch. posted:

If you already have a good amp or solid amp tone, generally speaking, I think you're best off getting a line6 m5/9/13. I have an m9 and what I like about it is that it only models pedals. Not amps or cabs. Most MEs model amps and cabs and when you put that in front of an already-good sounding tube amp you get a weird mess.

The dirt models are only "good" but the delays and verbs are faaaantastic.

I have a Peavey Classic 30. Great amp. Stays very clean even with tons of volume. Can be super loud. Has a dirt channel that honestly starts too loud to even use in my apartment. I figured that if I ever want to gig (not anytime soon), I would go this route and pick up a used M13 and a couple expression pedals. Sounds like it is the way to go. A lot easier than trying to somehow use Amplitube 3. Everyone seems to recommend against trying to use Amplitube live. Almost wish I had invested the same amount of money in an Eleven Rack just because of the built in portability of it. But I think I got both Amplitube 2 and 3 when they first came out. Don't think Eleven Rack was a thing back then. Or at least not well known.

However, the Peavey has a horrible hum that I would probably need to get serviced if I wanted to get serious about gigging. Stupid tube amps.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Everyone's talking about how Smashing Pumpkins got a lot of their album sounds through heavy layering and multitracking. My question is, when you write your music that way do you just accept that it will sound worse, or at least "different", live? Maybe I'm a weirdo, but if I write a song I would like for the version I record to be the authoritative version and I feel like I'd be ripping off fans if I played it live and it sounds way different.

Outside of the jam band/Rush sort of scenario, I want to hear the "ideal" version of a song if I'm going to the show.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Does anyone play around with travel guitars? My grilfriend and I are planning to do quite a bit of backpacking this summer and would like to bring one or two with us.

I ruled out the Martin Backpacker due to some really scathing reviews I found and personally not really caring for the sound to come out of them. I do really like the Washburn Rover, but recently found that my girlfriend's ex left a Vagabond buried in a box of stuff that we just dug up and are in the process of cleaning up.

I'm having trouble finding much along the lines of a proper review of the Vagabond, so I don't know really anything about it apart from "a guy and his daughter make them and Jill Sobule really likes them".

What are your opinions of the available backpacking guitars? Also, those of you who have hiked with them how much of a burden do you find them? Do you ever regret having a tiny guitar hanging off your pack like some kind of lute playing bard in a Dungeons and Dragons campaign?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Destro85 posted:

Does anyone play around with travel guitars? My grilfriend and I are planning to do quite a bit of backpacking this summer and would like to bring one or two with us.

I ruled out the Martin Backpacker due to some really scathing reviews I found and personally not really caring for the sound to come out of them. I do really like the Washburn Rover, but recently found that my girlfriend's ex left a Vagabond buried in a box of stuff that we just dug up and are in the process of cleaning up.

I'm having trouble finding much along the lines of a proper review of the Vagabond, so I don't know really anything about it apart from "a guy and his daughter make them and Jill Sobule really likes them".

What are your opinions of the available backpacking guitars? Also, those of you who have hiked with them how much of a burden do you find them? Do you ever regret having a tiny guitar hanging off your pack like some kind of lute playing bard in a Dungeons and Dragons campaign?

The Yamaha guitalele is an OK ultra tiny travel guitar, but the sound is really not anything to write home about. It's not too expensive.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Everyone's talking about how Smashing Pumpkins got a lot of their album sounds through heavy layering and multitracking. My question is, when you write your music that way do you just accept that it will sound worse, or at least "different", live? Maybe I'm a weirdo, but if I write a song I would like for the version I record to be the authoritative version and I feel like I'd be ripping off fans if I played it live and it sounds way different.

Outside of the jam band/Rush sort of scenario, I want to hear the "ideal" version of a song if I'm going to the show.

I'm actually the exact opposite on this. Rock, pop, punk, jazz, whatever - if I'm seeing live entertainment, I want it to be organic and pushed to within an inch of collapsing. If I wanted to hear the album, I would stay home. When I'm performing, I feel like giving a performance that's 100% true to the recording isn't good enough and that I'm phoning it in.

Different strokes for different folks.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Yeah, well, that is not Corgan approach. He doesn't do anything acoustic live, and he is famously one of these people who owns a zillion different guitar pedals, etc.

If the songs "hold up" then you can play the same song without the millions of studio processors and effects and it'll sound fine anyways.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

40 OZ posted:

Yeah, well, that is not Corgan approach. He doesn't do anything acoustic live, and he is famously one of these people who owns a zillion different guitar pedals, etc.

If the songs "hold up" then you can play the same song without the millions of studio processors and effects and it'll sound fine anyways.

Cool. Corgan makes me sad, a bit, because my favorite thing he's ever done is Zwan and apparently he wrote about 80 Zwan songs that they only ever performed live and I will never get to hear them. I have listened to that Zwan album at least 1000 times.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cool. Corgan makes me sad, a bit, because my favorite thing he's ever done is Zwan and apparently he wrote about 80 Zwan songs that they only ever performed live and I will never get to hear them. I have listened to that Zwan album at least 1000 times.

Everything I've read about Corgan makes him out to be a very difficult person. But he has written some really good songs as well.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just posting to say I'm taking lessons for the first time in my 19 years of playing. Making up for lost time owns.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Just posting to say I'm taking lessons for the first time in my 19 years of playing. Making up for lost time owns.

I'm taking a 10 week course in playing guitar and singing starting next Friday. The singing part is making nervous because I'm a literal crow. Like, with feathers and all.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Everyone's talking about how Smashing Pumpkins got a lot of their album sounds through heavy layering and multitracking. My question is, when you write your music that way do you just accept that it will sound worse, or at least "different", live?

Sounding "different" live never bothered them :v:

Depends what you mean about layering, the Siamese Dream rhythm tone comes from a lot of multitracking of the same part, to get that really thick, compressed, almost grinding sound. You're probably not going to exactly get that live, but cranked amps in a venue with a bunch of interesting pedals will make up for it.

A lot of songs have multiple parts going on, sometimes they're cool incidental things, other times they're a core part of the song. So sometimes you can ignore them, or throw bits of them in, or combine them into a hybrid part that captures the spirit of the whole. I'm pretty sure the SD tab book at least had things explicitly transcribed for two guitars, to make it more of a performance book than an accurate record of how it was put together. I'd look but mine got yoinked

I mean this is something that affects a lot of bands, but it depends on your writing process too. If you start from a live or demo perspective then your idea of what the song is might be the limited version, not the recorded version with all the bleeps and bloops. A lot of the pumpkins songs evolved from early live versions or guitar+drum demos

40 OZ posted:

I don't know about anymore, since I don't really like what's going on now, but they used to play acoustic a bunch - including acoustic versions of all the heavily distorted and layered SD stuff

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

lilljonas posted:

I'm taking a 10 week course in playing guitar and singing starting next Friday. The singing part is making nervous because I'm a literal crow. Like, with feathers and all.

Move to Scandinavia. Problem solved!

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

lilljonas posted:

Everything I've read about Corgan makes him out to be a very difficult person. But he has written some really good songs as well.

He's an rear end in a top hat.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Well, he is probably the most productive writer in rock music, possibly ever. The dude has written probably 1000+ songs.

I LOVE those bits on his b-sides where he just takes all the guitar riffs that he recorded during that album and threw away, and just runs em for 30 minutes or whatever. That is so loving cool.

jwh posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat.

Yes. I love his work, but please don't dig into his twitter or anything where he isn't specifically talking about music, because it's ugly.

I just chalk it up to all the drugs he did, I don't need to know about his politics, etc.

quote:

I don't know about anymore, since I don't really like what's going on now, but they used to play acoustic a bunch - including acoustic versions of all the heavily distorted and layered SD stuff

He said that he can't get a proper acoustic tone live. I can't tell if it is nutty perfectionism or if he is fishing for a signature model acoustic.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 23, 2015

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Don't know if you know these guys. They live the next town over from me.

Anyway, I love the guitar tones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTjAFPdlGHo

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Move to Scandinavia. Problem solved!

Already Swede. Is death metal my only way out?
E: preemtively calling the name Svartgödseltank

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 23, 2015

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What's a good amp for like 100-200 bucks? I have a mustang I, but now that i have a few pedals i don't really need all the effect stuff and would like an amp that just has a solid tone on it's own. Doesn't have to be super loud or anything so like a practice amp is fine, but can be loud because I live alone and my apartment has no shared walls.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What's a good amp for like 100-200 bucks? I have a mustang I, but now that i have a few pedals i don't really need all the effect stuff and would like an amp that just has a solid tone on it's own. Doesn't have to be super loud or anything so like a practice amp is fine, but can be loud because I live alone and my apartment has no shared walls.

A used Orange Micro Terror for $99 via ebay/craigslist and any lovely 2x12 speaker cabinet on craigslist or maybe the 10" cabinet Orange wants you to pair with the Micro Terror (also buy this off ebay). Depending on how the mustang's speaker is hooked up to the head part of the combo (hardwired or plugged into a 1/4" jack) you could just put the MT on top of your old amp master blaster style.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 23, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

I'm assuming you want a tube amp since those almost always have no effects, but in that price range you're limited to a Bugera V5 or Laney Cub 8.

If you can stretch that to $250 theirs the Blackstar HT-1 or VHT Special 6, and if you can go to $300 theirs the Randal RD1C. At $320 the AC4-BL is suppose to be fantastic, especially if you can upgrade the speaker down the line.

e: Or what Manlove said and stalk craigslist/ebay for something in that price range.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 23, 2015

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

There isn't much to write home about at that price point. I think you'd be better off saving up some more money to buy a Hot Rod Deluxe, or a Blues Junior, or something similar.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
That's a really, really restrictive price range.

I guess I'd say ... used Blackstar HT-5 or HT-1R or maybe a Yamaha THR-10C.

Also probably Fender Mustangs, but, still at this price range, these are all assuming you can find them used.

I got my Orange Micro Terror used (CL) for $100 but it's only a head.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Before you dump the mustang, I suggest hooking it up to a PC first and trying to make some patches and/or download some other users on FUSE. The Mustang stock patches are largely metal garbage, but if you have a little patience you can model a poo poo-ton of amps pretty easily. That said it is a lot easier to do on a Mustang III, but it should still be okay on a I.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I love my little Mustang :3

But yeah the presets on it are strangely stupid/bad compared to what you can do with a few minutes on your own or browsing the community presets.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah i've got some presets, it just gets annoying messing with them, since you have to hook it up to the computer. i think i will just wait until i'm out of grad school and have some bucks and just get a new guitar/amp instead of half-assing it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Sounds like you want a Pignose.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Everyone's probably moved on but if you really want to know what gear Corgan used check out SPFC. I've spent many a lost time just reading about his gear.

In actual news I went back and played with my original practice amp. It actually sounds good. Not sure if I just like it more now (Although I always dug the cleans) or if I'm just better so it sounds better. I like to think both.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

juche mane posted:

Really glad this thread has returned to stuff about guitar playing and not stuff about gear fetishism

Collecting poo poo is fun but at the end of the day you gotta play it

syntaxfunction posted:

Everyone's probably moved on but if you really want to know what gear Corgan used check out SPFC. I've spent many a lost time just reading about his gear.

It's interesting stuff but most of Corgan's sound (at least, the one people want to emulate) is layers and layers and layers of guitars

I'd recommend raiding your nearest pawn shop tbh

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Speaking of gear worship I've become so wrapped up in instrumental rock/surf and playing single coils through waves of reverb that I'm thinking of getting a VM Jaguar soon. They're so cheap and I just need one okay? The surf green one has been calling my name for months.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Sounds like a legitimate reason.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Speaking of gear worship I've become so wrapped up in instrumental rock/surf and playing single coils through waves of reverb that I'm thinking of getting a VM Jaguar soon. They're so cheap and I just need one okay? The surf green one has been calling my name for months.

Playing surf on anything in surf/seafoam green just plays better. It's like red making things faster. I'm pretty sure there's a law somewhere about that.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pointlessone posted:

Playing surf on anything in surf/seafoam green just plays better. It's like red making things faster. I'm pretty sure there's a law somewhere about that.

Mumble mumble mumble... quantum physics... mumble mumble mumble. So as you can see, I clearly need this new guitar.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Obviously your mileage may vary but I would test the HT-1R before you buy; I bought it sight unseen because it was raved about and while the emulated 4x12 line-out is great the sound coming out of the tiny 8" built-in speaker is pretty bad. I would put my money up for a Micro Terror. It won't get you the exact sound of these, but it wouldn't be a million miles away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJuwuwlCebw

I've been looking at that slackerVK's channel and trying to find a bunch of songs to learn but all the tunings are funky as hell: GGDFBD and weirdness like that. I decided to pick up the Dinosaur Jr songs too, since it seems to be more limited to capo'ing and outright alternate tuning insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

pointlessone posted:

I'm in love with surf green lately. All I want out of life is a surf green telecaster. Since I'll never be able to afford one, I'll have to settle with surf green shelves from ikea to hold my records :smith: