Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Educator
Feb 22, 2015
I was going to buy into this, but I figured I might as well wait for the POD. I think that's as far as my interest levels go.

I am very much looking forward to Mage and Promethean 2nd editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The poll's been upped for vikings/cowboys/israelites. For the first time in my life I find myself voting against more vikings.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Oh god the next goal. I want all of them. ALL OF THEM

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Little_wh0re posted:

quote:

If we pass $98,000, we're going to ask you to vote for a new Dark Era historical period, but not a game-line to go with it. We will assign a game line to the winning historical era as a one-time adjustment to the game lines nWod Dark Eras includes:

The American Revolutionary War
Samurai Era Japan (~1600)
Golden Age of Piracy
Mutapa Empire in sub-Saharan Africa (Around the time that the Portuguese arrived)
Wars of Scottish Independence

:negative:

Don't make me choose.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jesus Christ, just set out plans for a Dark Eras Volume II kickstarter in a few years already.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Kavak posted:

Jesus Christ, just set out plans for a Dark Eras Volume II kickstarter in a few years already.

Yeah, what I take from this and the sample cities in the 2e core books are that fans are extremely interested in alternate settings and would pay for a second book of them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kellsterik posted:

Yeah, what I take from this and the sample cities in the 2e core books are that fans are extremely interested in alternate settings and would pay for a second book of them.

And probably a third or fourth. We still have to see how well #1 turns out.

Alternatively, they could just set up a subscription blog that just puts out the setting write-ups periodically and people pay a one time/annual fee to access the whole lot of them.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I've said it before, but I would really like to see Dark Eras become a "line" in its own right.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm sure they'd make some decent bank off making it a line.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Little_wh0re posted:

:vince:

LORD HAVE MERCY

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I've said it before, but I would really like to see Dark Eras become a "line" in its own right.

I'd be real interested in this too.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Those sure are previous times and places in history. In which to put vampires, and perhaps werewolves.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I, too, love Mad Libs but with wod splats.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Holy gently caress. Vampires in 1920s Topeka, Kansas? Mage, but set in the 8th century in the Kingdom of Makuria? Promethean, but set in A Home Depot in 1993? Geist, but set one second after the Big Bang? Cannot wait for these hot titles.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Some of those actually sound interesting. I'm fine with a Home Depot game. Notably, said game won't involve pirates or samurai.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

tatankatonk posted:

Holy gently caress. Vampires in 1920s Topeka, Kansas? Mage, but set in the 8th century in the Kingdom of Makuria? Promethean, but set in A Home Depot in 1993? Geist, but set one second after the Big Bang? Cannot wait for these hot titles.
Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Did dinosaurs and humans coexist in the World of Darkness prehistory?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

Blood Bathers, but, get this ... in the Court of King Henry VIII.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

If you all need to take mindless and unfunny potshots at a White Wolf product, the Exalted 3rd ed thread is still open.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Wolves didn't even exist while Pangaea was around. My hypothesis is that Father Wolf was actually a dino. Please set a Uratha game during the Mesozoic Era.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Strontosaurus posted:

Yes, this is detailed in Exalted.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Strontosaurus posted:

There's probably a realm in the temenos where this is true, if nothing else.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Punting posted:

If you all need to take mindless and unfunny potshots at a White Wolf product, the Exalted 3rd ed thread is still open.

The Exalted thread is where a werewolf with a katana belongs, incidentally.

Crion fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 23, 2015

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Changeling: the Land of the Lost

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I want to play as a pack of Jurassic Park-style velociraptors patrolling the ancient gauntlet and morphing into even scarier dinos to fight, like, volcano spirits.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
You may accuse me of trolling, but I think "Is this Dark Age setting more interesting and evocative than playing Promethean in a Home Depot in 1993?" is a perfectly valid litmus test, and one that I don't think either pirates or samurai pass. I'm willing to be persuaded on the American Revolution.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Strontosaurus posted:

I want to play as a pack of Jurassic Park-style velociraptors patrolling the ancient gauntlet and morphing into even scarier dinos to fight, like, volcano spirits.

That sounds pretty cool actually. I'd play that game.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Crion posted:

You may accuse me of trolling, but I think "Is this Dark Age setting more interesting and evocative than playing Promethean in a Home Depot in 1993?" is a perfectly valid litmus test, and one that I don't think either pirates or samurai pass. I'm willing to be persuaded on the American Revolution.

Samurai might be a bit played out, and you can argue the same with pirates, but I will fight you if you so much as say a setting in sub-Saharan Africa right as the Portuguese show up isn't some rad poo poo.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Promethean specifically in a Home Depot is absolutely an amazing idea though, just so long as your antagonists are Pandorans (who would blend in perfectly in the racks --- who would know?) and not alchemists who stopped in on the way to a side-project of theirs that a full third of the setting write-up will detail anyway, regardless of how much the protagonists of the More Saving. More Human. chronicle would have to do with it.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Daeren posted:

Samurai might be a bit played out, and you can argue the same with pirates, but I will fight you if you so much as say a setting in sub-Saharan Africa right as the Portuguese show up isn't some rad poo poo.

Notably, I did not. I don't have problems with the Wars of Scottish Independence, either -- well, not much, because I have a sneaking suspicion I know which 1995 film spurred THAT choice. But I've resigned myself to never seeing those two settings, considering the poll competition.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Personally I would be interested in seeing wod combined with classic fairy tales and literature, like changeling: neverland

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Changing Breeds set in the 1980s at Camp Crystal Lake.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Daeren posted:

Plus Samurai Era seems like a bit of a misnomer that's being used because the average backer doesn't know a lot about Japanese history. David Hill has been talking about wanting to do an Edo period section for a while now. Considering Tokyo has sort of become the unofficial 2nd Ed city, I am down with it.

(Though I'm definitely down for Africa more.)

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I'm fairly certain the only thing worse than doing a samurai bit would be promising a samurai bit, it winning, and then sneakily not giving people the samurai they so crave, ensuring absolutely no one but the writer himself is pleased. Especially not the people who wanted to see Werewolf: Braveheart or what have you.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

Holy gently caress. Vampires in 1920s Topeka, Kansas? Mage, but set in the 8th century in the Kingdom of Makuria? Promethean, but set in A Home Depot in 1993?

I would play these three. They all sound way better than Samurai Japan (whatever time period that is) and Scottish Wars of Independence. You are terrible at coming up with bad ideas for settings. I mean, you think Promethean Mall Rats sounds bad?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Crion posted:

I'm fairly certain the only thing worse than doing a samurai bit would be promising a samurai bit, it winning, and then sneakily not giving people the samurai they so crave, ensuring absolutely no one but the writer himself is pleased. Especially not the people who wanted to see Werewolf: Braveheart or what have you.

Yeah misnomer is probably the wrong word. More like over-simplification, I guess? But considering the 1600s are literally the start of the Tokugawa Shogunate/Edo Period I'm pretty sure that's what Hill was talking about wanting to do.

Basically I'm saying whatever it is it will probably be deeper than "STUFF I SAW IN AN ANIME." (I hope. :ohdear:)

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Which line would be most appropriate to set inside a giant fat guy's bloodstream a la Osmosis Jones?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Crion posted:

Ancient Japan would actually make a pretty interesting werewolf setting, given that you could be hiding in plain sight as a shinto priest. Also garou form as a nine-tailed fox.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Promethean set in a home depot could be an interesting idea: a monster trying to become more human while working a minimum wage job that explicitly dehumanized them, parsing the interactions between people privaleged enough to be concerned with home improvement, the most old white people of hobbies, with people underprivileged enough to work there. Set it in LA in the early 90s where class and race are about to come to a head and you have an interesting chronicle.

This is all assuming that the World of Darkness analog to home depot is run by cthonic entities from beyond space and time, of course.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Promethean set in a home depot could be an interesting idea: a monster trying to become more human while working a minimum wage job that explicitly dehumanized them, parsing the interactions between people privaleged enough to be concerned with home improvement, the most old white people of hobbies, with people underprivileged enough to work there. Set it in LA in the early 90s where class and race are about to come to a head and you have an interesting chronicle.

This is all assuming that the World of Darkness analog to home depot is run by cthonic entities from beyond space and time, of course.

Come on, its the WoD. The store layout its probably planned by the God-Machine so it can piss off one guy just enough to go and do the thing it needs badly enough for its plan to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Come on, its the WoD. The store layout its probably planned by the God-Machine so it can piss off one guy just enough to go and do the thing it needs badly enough for its plan to work.
The Disquiet from the entire throng does a good enough job of that already, between: the Frankenstein getting lectured for hours by the old guy who never leaves or buys anything about how when I was your age, I'd stack those paint cans proudly boy, do it again; the Galateid cashier debating whether to forsake Aurum for Centimani after the hundredth guy in a day asks for her number before swiping or signing his card; the Tammuz getting yelled at for taking too long of a break before he's even taken one; the Ulgan getting picked for a 'random' drug test, again; and the Osirian just making everyone realize that this is how they're spending their loving Saturday.

• Locked thread