Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
How bad an idea is it to fly Chiraneau without Ysanne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

About as bad of an idea to fly a falcon without C3PO.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

alg posted:

It's worth it while they are still in print. The extra dice and templates, plus extra TIE fighters are totally worth the low cost.

Well I found one core set in the shop, so I'll see how the base game plays with another newbie.

Lets see how it goes!

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

nahanahs posted:

Medium. I think it can be worth it in the right list. If you are going with her, I think it's probably wise to go with the full build- Ysanne, PTL (or EI, I think) and Engine Upgrade.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I have such a love hate relationship with the this game right now. Leaving that aside for the moment, there is a Firespray for sale in a local shop. Are they still hard to get hold of or is the price about to drop? They are selling it for £24.99.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Since MW has options for the Firespray and people will likely want one, I can't really see their price dropping much.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

nahanahs posted:

Is she on the other Decimator in the list?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Wanna try this for shits and giggles:

THE UNAVOIDABLES
They always find their man!

100 points

PILOTS

Ten Numb (42)
B-Wing (31), Advanced Sensors (3), “Mangler” Cannon (4), Veteran Instincts (1), Hull Upgrade (3)

Horton Salm (33)
Y-Wing (25), BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0), R2-D6 (1), Autoblaster Turret (2), Engine Upgrade (4), Veteran Instincts (1)

Gold Squadron Pilot (25)
Y-Wing (18), R2 Astromech (1), Autoblaster Turret (2), Engine Upgrade (4)

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/195476/the-unavoidables

Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/195476

EDIT: I guess you could replace Horton with Dutch and not lose much (and gain the ability to use that special)

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 23, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Frobbe posted:

i plan on eventually owning at least one of everything this game has to offer. it's a most terrible affliction!

I know this illness all too well. :sympathy:

Now if my FLGS would just get some Scum and Villainy in already. I have a fever and the only cure is more X-Wing.

Specially some goddamn Aggressors.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 23, 2015

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So with the new BLT title changing things up for Y-Wings, what's the easiest way to make them more survivable without forcing them to remain at range 2-3?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So with the new BLT title changing things up for Y-Wings, what's the easiest way to make them more survivable without forcing them to remain at range 2-3?

Engine upgrade and R2 Astro or just R7-T1

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Engine Upgrade, ion cannon turret. Expensive, but you can get four Golds with that. Do interesting things, and only put the BTL on half of them so you actually have some turrets left.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I just bought two Phantoms, have a ton of S&V coming in, and got a new case to carry it all since the red plano case no longer holds all my mans.

gently caress this hobby, man. I spend way too much money on this.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Feeple posted:

I just bought two Phantoms, have a ton of S&V coming in, and got a new case to carry it all since the red plano case no longer holds all my mans.

gently caress this hobby, man. I spend way too much money on this.

My order just shipped from CSI :getin:

I need another case. I feel comfortable with my awesome little spaceship collection.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The lack of storage options is what's actually keeping me from buying the new wave. Might buy a Plano so I can start using it as my tournament kit and leave the toolbox at home.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

The lack of storage options is what's actually keeping me from buying the new wave. Might buy a Plano so I can start using it as my tournament kit and leave the toolbox at home.

I bought this bad rear end:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Angled-Tackle-System/15904153

I have one that holds the plethora of poo poo you need for Imperial Assault, so I expect this to carry everything but the Corvette.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
This is what I use with my way too large collection and I still only have it about half-full. I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure the Tantive can fit in the top with no issues, also.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

I was cleaning up my hobby room, and found a TIE Defender and an A Wing both new in box. That was my 7th A wing.

Please send help.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Jesus. :catstare: It really is plastic smack.

A friend flew an XXXXZ list against me, testing out Engine Upgrade on all the X-wings. It...doesn't seem to be the solution to whatever ails the X-Wing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

A friend flew an XXXXZ list against me, testing out Engine Upgrade on all the X-wings. It...doesn't seem to be the solution to whatever ails the X-Wing.

Engine upgrade is a small slice of the solution, but comes with the crippling disadvantage of being both A) a modification, so you lose by opportunity cost things like Hull and Shield Upgrade and B) really loving expensive for small ships.

Big ships don't care as much because they get double the distance (and generally more turning out of it), but small ships paying 4 for a boost is a lot.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Another issue is it's not great on low PS ships. Putting one on Wedge can be reasonably effective. Give him Push the Limit and an R2 for a green 2 turn and you can have fun in a casual game, for sure. Lotta points, obviously.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'd say you could fix the X-wing pretty easily by just making it cheaper.

Call it the Wraith Squadron Retrofit and put an Ewok on the card with a hydrospanner.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

SpikeMcclane posted:

This is what I use with my way too large collection and I still only have it about half-full. I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure the Tantive can fit in the top with no issues, also.

It does, and the transport fits in the back compartment of the top as well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Feeple posted:

I bought this bad rear end:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Angled-Tackle-System/15904153

I have one that holds the plethora of poo poo you need for Imperial Assault, so I expect this to carry everything but the Corvette.

Not bad for the price of it really is that big but the problem then is that I don't want my old toolbox to go to waste. I'd probably still get it and keep the old one as the home base when the collection grows.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Endman posted:

I'd say you could fix the X-wing pretty easily by just making it cheaper.

Call it the Wraith Squadron Retrofit and put an Ewok on the card with a hydrospanner.

It would "fix" it in the most boring way possible. I want my drat X-Wings to be able to dogfight, and they can't right now. They can't maneuver, and they effectively have a single useful upgrade slot, astromechs.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
When this game first game out I dipped my toes in. I own two cores and one copy of all the first waves. I just couldn't find anyone that played. That's changed recently so what I'm wondering is there a buy list or a place I can check out that will let me know what I need to buy to be competitive?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you are playing casually, buy what you want/like the look of and proxy the cards you need. It really depends on what you like flying, though. What faction/play style interests you most?

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Tekopo posted:

If you are playing casually, buy what you want/like the look of and proxy the cards you need. It really depends on what you like flying, though. What faction/play style interests you most?

I'll jump in on needing advice, is it worth buying in to the most wanted set after the core if i'm looking to build at 100 point scum fleet for play? Or will I most likely be missing too many cards from all the other sets to make it worth it yet?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Greyish Orange posted:

I'll jump in on needing advice, is it worth buying in to the most wanted set after the core if i'm looking to build at 100 point scum fleet for play? Or will I most likely be missing too many cards from all the other sets to make it worth it yet?

It's not cards you'll be missing, it's ships. Most wanted can convert a Firespray, Y-Wing, and HWK you already own into scum ships, which is a pretty cool way to kick-start the faction, but only for people who have already bought in.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You can probably get a pretty decent list by just going core + most wanted and then getting a Firespray: a Firespray with 2 Zs and a Y will make a more or less workable list:

PILOTS

Binayre Pirate (12) x 2

Kavil (34)
Y-Wing (24), Autoblaster Turret (2), Unhinged Astromech (1), Push the Limit (3), BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0), Engine Upgrade (4)

Kath Scarlet (41)
Firespray-31 (38), Outmaneuver (3)

Total: 99 points

The only issues with the above list is that you'll need Push the Limit from A-Wing/Imp Aces, Engine Upgrade from the Falcon and Outmaneuver from the E-Wing/TIE Defender, but you only need to worry about that if you are going to an official FFG tournament. In regular, casual play, it shouldn't really matter if you have the cards or not, so just go with what ships you need and just proxy the cards as needed.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

General Battuta posted:

Man, I wish it was an XXXXZ list, all I could fit were 3 Rookie X-Wangs+Engine Upgrade and Cracken with Squad Leander + Engine Upgrade.

It was not an effective list. Though we both agreed it looked really cool, so that is something.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

X-Wings won't really be tournament viable until they can effectively deal with a Phantom. So it needs access to arc dodging poo poo and pretty much Luke, Wedge, or Wes with VI.

The current league at my store has brought in a TON of new players, but all the old players are sick of this meta. Scum will only make it worse with autothrusters.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

What exactly are they sick of and what exactly will be worse due to the presence of Autothrusters? Are arc-dodging inties really driving people away where you are at the extent that it will get worse when they access to autothrusters?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Tekopo posted:

What exactly are they sick of and what exactly will be worse due to the presence of Autothrusters? Are arc-dodging inties really driving people away where you are at the extent that it will get worse when they access to autothrusters?

Decimator/Phantom and Fat Han.

Things will only get worse, since the turret ships won't be able to deal with Soontir/Phantoms combos, meaning Rebel players will have ... well not much at all to deal with that

ExtraCheese
Apr 16, 2014

Tekopo posted:

PILOTS

Binayre Pirate (12) x 2

Kavil (34)
Y-Wing (24), Autoblaster Turret (2), Unhinged Astromech (1), Push the Limit (3), BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0), Engine Upgrade (4)

Kath Scarlet (41)
Firespray-31 (38), Outmaneuver (3)

Total: 99 points

I wouldn't use Kavil with BTL-A4 since it basically cancels his pilot ability. Instead I'd give him a Blaster Turret and drop Kath for Boba with VI since that brings the list's points back down to 100.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh yeah, I forgot about his special ability, you can pretty much drop BTL from him in that case.

alg posted:

Decimator/Phantom and Fat Han.

Things will only get worse, since the turret ships won't be able to deal with Soontir/Phantoms combos, meaning Rebel players will have ... well not much at all to deal with that

VI/Ptl/Prockets Jake (make sure you bid for advantage) will tear up Soontir and Phantoms, AdSensors/Mangler Cannon/VI Ten Numb (there are so many crits that completely wreck Soontir it's not even funny) and Fat Han or an Outrider are still decent enough ships, although yes, they are taken down a notch against A-Wings/Inties/Starvipers.

The real difference is with regards to S&V, with feedback arrays guaranteeing hits and hot shot blasters, Phantoms and Arc Dodger will be taken down a notch.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

quote:

VI/Ptl/Prockets Jake (make sure you bid for advantage)

Gotta go 96 points here for that :/ Kind of a weak counter, especially with one poor dice roll on the rockets.

quote:

AdSensors/Mangler Cannon/VI Ten Numb

I am looking forward to trying this but it's what, 40 points?

quote:

The real difference is with regards to S&V, with feedback arrays guaranteeing hits and hot shot blasters, Phantoms and Arc Dodger will be taken down a notch.

Yeah it kind of blows to have to play S&V to get the fixes Rebels sorely need. :/

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

alg posted:

Gotta go 96 points here for that :/ Kind of a weak counter, especially with one poor dice roll on the rockets.
I've seen it work, and work really well, but it was with a Jan in support (so a total of a 6 dice attack). Being able to potentially boost/barrel roll and still being able to TL and Focus helps a lot. And with how maneuverable Jake is, you should be able to still pose a threat to a Intie/Phantom, especially if they can't tie you down.

quote:

I am looking forward to trying this but it's what, 40 points?
It's expensive but at least it's guaranteed hits. You can drop the Advanced Sensors if you feel confident with your flying. Ten Numb works so much better with Mangler than having to use a Mercenary Copilot/Fishing for crits with Etahn.

quote:

Yeah it kind of blows to have to play S&V to get the fixes Rebels sorely need. :/
I think it will help the rebels as well though, since at least at a tournament level, people will have to be more careful with phantoms/soontirs. Even then, I still feel that the most powerful current list, without S&V stuff coming out, is a Fat Han list.

Still, as we discussed recently, I do wish the X-Wing was more viable: the TIE Advanced (well, Vader) is gonna be pretty good when the Imperial Raider comes out, so I hope they do something to make the X-Wing more viable along those lines as well.

I wish the Rebel Y-Wings had EPT slots. I really want to make a PtL Y-Wing (like the scum one) happen but without being able to get an EPT and be able to get an R2 astromech, the idea is dead in the water.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 24, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah the only real change I might do is to go back to the old list and use Luke instead of Gunner since I already have predator and it'll make taking down phantoms just a little bit easier. The PS4 for tala isn't that useful right now anyway vs decimators and they will at least get to shoot simultaneously with B-wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Has anyone gotten shipping/order updates for S&V from Miniature Market yet?

• Locked thread