Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Do I get the game over screen if I'm materially married to a member of my dynasty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

T___A posted:

Do I get the game over screen if I'm materially married to a member of my dynasty?

No, as long as your kids are of your dynasty you'll be fine.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Reveilled posted:

Any map that fixes this:

Is an improvement in my book.

Oh poo poo, are you serious?? That's a HOI3-1.0-Stalingrad level of map distortion if true! :aaa:

Weird that something as glaring as that hasn't become a running gag here. First time I've heard of it, at least.

An unrelated question: As a feudal king, I cannot grant king-level titles to republics, right? Is there a way to change this in the defines-file?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Reveilled posted:

Any map that fixes this:

What am I looking at?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Ras Het posted:

What am I looking at?

The two red lines are supposed to be bordering each other.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Note the Caucasian mountain area was reworked in Rajas

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gimmick Account posted:

Oh poo poo, are you serious?? That's a HOI3-1.0-Stalingrad level of map distortion if true! :aaa:

Weird that something as glaring as that hasn't become a running gag here. First time I've heard of it, at least.

An unrelated question: As a feudal king, I cannot grant king-level titles to republics, right? Is there a way to change this in the defines-file?

It's been an issue in Paradox games all the way back to Europa Universalis 1, their projections consistently put the Caspian too far south, messing up the Caucasus and Middle East pretty bad. Admittedly it is less bad with Rajas.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Reveilled posted:

It's been an issue in Paradox games all the way back to Europa Universalis 1, their projections consistently put the Caspian too far south, messing up the Caucasus and Middle East pretty bad. Admittedly it is less bad with Rajas.

Yes but their swedish topology is top notch!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Gimmick Account posted:

The two red lines are supposed to be bordering each other.

Probably don't need to mention that most of my map knowledge comes from Paradox games.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

At some point there will be a generation of Paradox Devs who got their geographic knowledge from previous Paradox titles and the mistakes will be baked in. Jean Baudrillard will smile from beyond the grave.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jaramin posted:

Greenland is over 300km from Iceland at the nearest approach, it is definitely not possible to see it from there. It seems sort of pointless to include it at all, but whatever floats the guy's boat I suppose.

↓EDIT:Oooooooooh
lol i have literally seen it and maybe FS too but thanks random SA poster for your knowledgebomb

Reveilled posted:

Any map that fixes this:

sweet jesus I never actually thought about that, because so long as glorious Scandinavia, including such important places as Åland, Hjaltland, Færeyjar and Iceland are included, who cares if some less important parts aren't entirely up to spec? But now I look at that again it's pretty, yeah.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A common problem faced by cartographers is accounting for the curb of the Earth. Most map makers find ways to fudge it a bit while keeping everything as accurate as possible.

Paradox just says gently caress it and takes a sledgehammer to buff it out.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

That Caspian Sea thing has largely been fixed, although I can't recall which big DLC/patch marks when that came through. Rajas of India, probably.

What gets me is that some of the Balkans is still wonky, just in terms of geography-- the County of Pest, for example, marks the location of old Budapest, as its capital is Pest and basically yeah it's Budapest. Now, geography quiz question for you all: What river does Budapest sit on? The Danube! What river does Pest sit on in CK2? Not the Danube!

I've been tooling around with Late Roman stuff a bit more recently, and trying to match up names with places in CK2, and then comparing where the old Roman city was on a map with where its medieval counterpart is in CK2, really throws me for a loop sometimes.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
When you have a bunch of units in the same province, how do you bring up the screen that displays them all and has the merge option? I've had it come up a few times but I don't know how. I've been playing for dozens of hours and I'm still attaching all the units together manually.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

snoremac posted:

When you have a bunch of units in the same province, how do you bring up the screen that displays them all and has the merge option? I've had it come up a few times but I don't know how. I've been playing for dozens of hours and I'm still attaching all the units together manually.

Hold down the left mouse key and drag a box over all of them.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Oh really? It must either be an invisible box or I turned it off in the menu. Or I'm just an idiot who never thought to do the most obvious thing. Anyway thanks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just as a heads up because everyone plays this game forever before realizing it, you can do the same thing and select just boats by holding alt.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Just as a heads up because everyone plays this game forever before realizing it, you can do the same thing and select just boats by holding alt.

this was the only thing i read in a loading screen tooltip that i was incredibly thankful for

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Funky Valentine posted:

Paradox just says gently caress it and takes a sledgehammer to buff it out.

Tis made me laugh. I imagined our artists bring out their sledgehammer in the office.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 23, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Groogy posted:

Tis made me laugh. I imagined our artists bring out their sledgehammer in the office.
That's how vikings turn globes into maps, right?

Why do Paradox artists have a sledgehammer?:ohdear:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

That's how vikings turn globes into maps, right?

Why do Paradox artists have a sledgehammer?:ohdear:

Oh, every Paradox department has one. It's how they deal with invading racists.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
So I'm playing CK2 for the first time and started an early campaign as the pagan High Chief of Satakunta with the goal of creating the Kingdom of Finland, but I have no idea how the hell I'm going to amass the required amount of wealth for that stuff. There is no trade income and all my counties and neighbours are poor as poo poo, so conquering or raiding for loot or extra taxes doesn't really help that much.

Also looks like giving my Chief the "lustful" trait and taking three concubines and a lover or two was a really bad idea. :shepface:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm shuffling through the Challenge Generator over at http://www.scenariogenerator.net/ at the moment.

I wonder how possible this is:

Starting Duchy
Krete

Restrictions
Whenever your spouse cheats, seduce their lover's spouse

Goals
Acquire the Necronomicon
Befriend your liege, and then assassinate him
Become a Administrator
Seduce a bishop
Have 30 martial

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Was playing a greek / jewish doge of venice because I wanted to reclaim the holy land and wanted cataphracts. Suddenly around 100 years in everyone on the map went hostile. All armies were showing up as red. I wasn't at war with anyone. Also my own retinue counted as raiding Venice so my income was nuked. I have no idea how any of this happened.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Was playing a greek / jewish doge of venice because I wanted to reclaim the holy land and wanted cataphracts. Suddenly around 100 years in everyone on the map went hostile. All armies were showing up as red. I wasn't at war with anyone. Also my own retinue counted as raiding Venice so my income was nuked. I have no idea how any of this happened.

It's a known bug, saving and reloading should fix it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Meta-Mollusk posted:

So I'm playing CK2 for the first time and started an early campaign as the pagan High Chief of Satakunta with the goal of creating the Kingdom of Finland, but I have no idea how the hell I'm going to amass the required amount of wealth for that stuff. There is no trade income and all my counties and neighbours are poor as poo poo, so conquering or raiding for loot or extra taxes doesn't really help that much.

Also looks like giving my Chief the "lustful" trait and taking three concubines and a lover or two was a really bad idea. :shepface:

Wow, you're beyond hosed. The best way to make money as a tribal is to take up the business focus assuming you have way of life, but you have to reform the faith before you can convert. Pagan tribal trying to turn feudal is the hardest start in the game not taking neighbors into account. And yeah, gavelkind. Don't do that.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Has child education been changed in a patch? I have no wards, but for some reason I can't select my duke as his grandson's mentor.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

There are lots of already existing map projections that don't distort stuff as badly as the Paradox one. Why don't they just pick the one that distorts the playable area the least, and use that?

Not that this is something that bothers me at all, it's just weird.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Promontory posted:

Has child education been changed in a patch? I have no wards, but for some reason I can't select my duke as his grandson's mentor.

Is your duke a vassal that's serving on his liege's council? Apparently that's a known bug (though I can't rememebr the workarounds.)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

marktheando posted:

There are lots of already existing map projections that don't distort stuff as badly as the Paradox one. Why don't they just pick the one that distorts the playable area the least, and use that?

Someone was doing that, but I'm not sure what came of it. I think it was being used in a map extension of China.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Promontory posted:

Is he on his liege's council? Councillors who gets assigned to do whatever in some county can't become tutors but they can be tutors, so just resign from the council, choose the duke as the kid's educator, then hope your liege lets you back into the board meeting.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

marktheando posted:

The map Pdox use is probably one for gameplay purposes, and has some valid reason for existing, such as to make provinces good enough sizes to click on or something like that. For example, Eu is awful to try and click on, especially if you have an army plopped on there. Imagine if that was the case across the map.

That is just one valid excuse I can find for map distortion. Just to make the game function more smoothly. However, thing just outright being wrong, such as Pest being on the wrong river, is dumb.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Council spot was indeed the reason, thanks!

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
As the duke of 1066 Tuscany, I've managed to create the kingdom of sicily (though the Byzantines grabbed a few bits too). I can't war my northern neighbors due to crown law. How do you expand inside the hre, lots of marriages and stabbings? I assumed it be like eu4 where I could just jump my neighbors when I get claims.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Wow, you're beyond hosed. The best way to make money as a tribal is to take up the business focus assuming you have way of life, but you have to reform the faith before you can convert. Pagan tribal trying to turn feudal is the hardest start in the game not taking neighbors into account. And yeah, gavelkind. Don't do that.

Why do you hate fun?

:colbert:

Succession is a lot more interesting until you manage to either get an empire built or change crown laws over. Considering your guy should inherit the choice bits it should be as simple as asking your brothers for vassalization or immediately go around pressing claims to reunite your stuff.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Why do you hate fun?

:colbert:

Succession is a lot more interesting until you manage to either get an empire built or change crown laws over. Considering your guy should inherit the choice bits it should be as simple as asking your brothers for vassalization or immediately go around pressing claims to reunite your stuff.

~should~ I only hosed up gavelkind once since it was "fixed" and it was in Abyssinia. I lost my capital Aksum, plus Makuria and Dotawa, and ended up controlling the lovely duchy of Berbera and two counties in it, and that was it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I installed my anti pope as the one true pope and the empire of Francia has their own anti pope. Except that the anti pope is vassal of a duke and not the emperor. How can I get rid of them? They are tanking my moral authority.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Gavelkind is a pain in the rear end, but I've been having a lot of fun with an all gavelkind, all the time mod.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Anyone do a decent amount of modding? I've been trying to make a decision to help me set up custom scenarios for EU4 but everytime I trigger it via console it doesn't show a button to click on.

I've had it with text on the area that usually describes the event but I removed it to see if it would cause the button to pop up. I've tried a lot of things and consulted a few guides but I haven't found it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThaumPenguin posted:

Is he on his liege's council? Councillors who gets assigned to do whatever in some county can't become tutors but they can be tutors, so just resign from the council, choose the duke as the kid's educator, then hope your liege lets you back into the board meeting.

Or hope he doesn't. Being on your liege's council is a nuisance that doesn't gain you anything but a negligible amount of prestige. But if you've got the highest of any one stat in the realm then your liege is going to relentlessly spam you with council requests until you give in.

• Locked thread