Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Re: A ticket came in: Rorschach said "please advise"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

incoherent posted:

"No."

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Please advise is a less embarrassing way of saying "oh god im out of my depth please help me before I get fired." At least thats how I read it.

I mean, maybe I'm just lucky in that I don't have the pressure to always look like I know what I'm talking about, but if I don't know what to do next I have no problem just saying "what would you like me to do?" and being direct about it.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

incoherent posted:

The accumulated filth of all their cloud technologies and failed service level agreements will foam up about their waists and all the managers and directors will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Super Slash posted:

The accumulated filth of all their cloud technologies and failed service level agreements will foam up about their waists and all the managers and directors will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

Our business has to treat the cloud as a very hostile environment, so this post is going under my boss' door now. Thank you.

A free year of Windows 10 and cloud storage is a great way for technically-uneducated home users to lose all their data. It's almost as bad as pre-approved credit cards to financially-uneducated consumers.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Cloud is great, I don't know what you're talking about -

:yayclod:

Just look at this excited little guy!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bhodi posted:

But what if my cloud frowns? :smithcloud:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Bhodi posted:

:nsacloud:

I dunno, something seems a little suspicious.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

RFC2324 posted:

Can you use PDQ Deploy in conjunction with ninite?

Or does it make ninite completely obsolete?

This is for a home usage scenario, where I effectively maintain my roommates computers because I got tired of having my network hosed up by their viruses and malware all the time.

I'd imagine you could, but there is an easier way in your case.

Download the ninite installer you want to their computer, save it somewhere and set a scheduled task to run it once a day or week or whatever. It will update everything in the original installer every run.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

A free year of Windows 10 and cloud storage is a great way for technically-uneducated home users to lose all their data. It's almost as bad as pre-approved credit cards to financially-uneducated consumers.

What the heck are you talking about. MS has clarified several times you have one year after Win10 comes out to upgrade your Win7/8 to it for free. If you upgrade that year, you have Windows 10 for life. If you wait past a year you presumably have to pay to upgrade.

Now, I wouldn't put it past them to try pushing into SaaS territory and charge a monthly rate some freemium features or something after the fact, but who the hell are you to start spreading all that FUD?

Edit: Maybe your objection is valid with the free year of 100gb on OneDrive, but it's not like their files get wiped out after that. You'd pay $6.99 to turn it back on for a month and dump your files to a hard drive or a different cloud. It's not different than how you have to keep paying for Dropbox or you lose the storage.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 22, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zero VGS posted:

What the heck are you talking about. MS has clarified several times you have one year after Win10 comes out to upgrade your Win7/8 to it for free. If you upgrade that year, you have Windows 10 for life. If you wait past a year you presumably have to pay to upgrade.

Now, I wouldn't put it past them to try pushing into SaaS territory and charge a monthly rate some freemium features or something after the fact, but who the hell are you to start spreading all that FUD?

Edit: Maybe your objection is valid with the free year of 100gb on OneDrive, but it's not like their files get wiped out after that. You'd pay $6.99 to turn it back on for a month and dump your files to a hard drive or a different cloud. It's not different than how you have to keep paying for Dropbox or you lose the storage.

Okay, wow, I haven't done much reading since the initial ~Jan 20 announcements with very sly language about what "service" constituted once the upgrade from Win 7 / 8 was taken. It also looks like losing the ability to upload new files is the only harm letting a OneDrive account lapse does, so pretty much everything I said is outdated and wrong.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

RFC2324 posted:

Can you use PDQ Deploy in conjunction with ninite?

Or does it make ninite completely obsolete?

This is for a home usage scenario, where I effectively maintain my roommates computers because I got tired of having my network hosed up by their viruses and malware all the time.

Do you both share the bill for internet? I'd be pretty pissed if my stuff was constantly getting infected by a roommate and would eventually just say "gently caress it, get your own service" or just start remote wiping his machines when they get infected. That poo poo's ridiculous.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Could always isolate them to their own network using a decent router.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A chromebook came in....for my grandparents. And after getting it all set up and ready to go I went over to their place in the middle of the sticks and installed it for them. Afterwards, we hauled their 10+ year old Dell Dimension outside, and gave it a proper funeral:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z54tuemSjo

I only wish we could have done the same with their printer, but my mom wanted to keep it. :smith:

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Sirotan posted:

A chromebook came in....for my grandparents. And after getting it all set up and ready to go I went over to their place in the middle of the sticks and installed it for them. Afterwards, we hauled their 10+ year old Dell Dimension outside, and gave it a proper funeral:

I only wish we could have done the same with their printer, but my mom wanted to keep it. :smith:

I was going to say "you know, a lot of nonprofits would like a machine like that, you should donate--" and then I saw the parallel port. Nope. That was 100% the proper response.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sirotan posted:

The correct funerary rites for a computer of that age involve at least four magazines of high powered rifle ammunition, one quart of tannerite or other impact sensitive explosive, and a standoff distance of at least 200 yards.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Nah, too much toxic poo poo gets splashed around in the explosion.

Just burn it with magnesium.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Potato Salad posted:

Okay, wow, I haven't done much reading since the initial ~Jan 20 announcements with very sly language about what "service" constituted once the upgrade from Win 7 / 8 was taken. It also looks like losing the ability to upload new files is the only harm letting a OneDrive account lapse does, so pretty much everything I said is outdated and wrong.

Look dude, you screwing up like this really makes all of us Potato people look bad. Get it together or we're going to have to demote you to a Rhubarb.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Just wanted to follow up on my week of documenting with Spiceworks behind my boss's back. I've had one of my test users submit one legitimate ticket, and the rest has been me writing up my own tickets for all the work I've done.

I'm up to 68 tickets. The GM gets a special submission page that shows the total number of closed tickets.

He came to my office Friday afternoon, patted me on the back, and thanked me for all the work I've done.

My boss is still in poo poo for not answering his phone during the power outage last week.

:feelsgood:

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in asking which 'number' is the one to active our Antivirus software

'Trådløs' means Wireless. I can only assume this user searched his/her house for any random string of number to activate our product.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Just wanted to follow up on my week of documenting with Spiceworks behind my boss's back. I've had one of my test users submit one legitimate ticket, and the rest has been me writing up my own tickets for all the work I've done.

I'm up to 68 tickets. The GM gets a special submission page that shows the total number of closed tickets.

He came to my office Friday afternoon, patted me on the back, and thanked me for all the work I've done.

My boss is still in poo poo for not answering his phone during the power outage last week.

Heh. At my last job (2 man IT-team for a school), my boss decided that we should move to a ticketing system, and give it a 1 month demo. "What counts as a call?" Everything we do, apparently. Setting up a new server? A call. Installing a piece of software in a classroom? A call. Resetting a password? A call.

After that month, we stopped using it. "Not worth the money," he said. Nothing to do with me having taken and closed over 100 calls in comparison to his 6. Nothing at all.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Context, this is from our local contact in a remote site. He is not IT, he's actually an engineer, but seems to be the only IT literate person there, so lots of the users come to him for, "how do I turn on a monitor?" questions.

quote:

All users passwords expire every month & they don't know how to change the password, because the function does not always work the first time & then they call me. Also as this expiry occurs the users cannot access their desktops to log a ticket. This causes me to do all the password changes on all the PC's every month. Could you please set up all the machines that the password never expire.

After checking he doesn't actually have permission to do resets on AD, I can only assume he's literally typing in their new password for them on the change password screen.

Think I'm gonna escalate this one and not touch it with a 10 foot barge pole.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

LordVorbis posted:

After checking he doesn't actually have permission to do resets on AD, I can only assume he's literally typing in their new password for them on the change password screen.

Think I'm gonna escalate this one and not touch it with a 10 foot barge pole.

:10bux: they're trying to use passwords that don't fulfill complexity requirements

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hungry Computer posted:

That use of please advise is perfectly acceptable, it's the other common use that can get annoying. This ticket we had last week from someone high up is a fine example:

Title: Error Message

Description:
Getting an error message. Please advise.

Where there's no effort made to note even the simplest detail. This person has admin on their machine when they really shouldn't, and is continuously breaking things without any interest in learning how to stop breaking things. They're not seeking advice so much as stating there's a problem they need you to fix, and are either unable to understand the nature of their problem or are unwilling to admit they may have caused it.

This is how I see it all the time and for some reason it's one of the most infuriating things to me I see in tickets.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I usually find "please advise" is used as a condescending "Why didn't you already fix this?" replacement.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

We've had a client use that phrase before. They are exactly the type of person you picture in your mind when you read that.

I had the distinct pleasure of rolling out 12 Surface Pro 3s for our Board of Directors last month. They aren't domain joined, but they have a "VPN" in the form of a secured website and certificate pairing, that allows access to the sharepoint site the board uses.

In setting this all up, I had to create a local account/password for each Surface. First Initial, Last Name, simple password that the director has to change on first log in, and I walk them through that.

I got the "How DARE YOU" from one of the board members because he thought the password on his surface and the password to access our domain were the same. How *dare* I change his password and *Don't I know who he is* and *this ABSOLUTELY will NOT happen again* and I'm like "Dude, this is not the password to your email, it's for the tablet, you can change it to whatever you want".

He ended up emailing the CEO and CIO with his "misgivings" about "random nobodies (ACTUAL PHRASING) having access to his account".

The CIO came down to tell me, in person, not to change his password ever again. I explained the whole situation and there was a lightbulb moment for the CIO, and I never heard another word about it.

Spoiled whiny petulant children, man.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Antioch posted:

I had the distinct pleasure of rolling out 12 Surface Pro 3s for our Board of Directors last month. They aren't domain joined, but they have a "VPN" in the form of a secured website and certificate pairing, that allows access to the sharepoint site the board uses.

In setting this all up, I had to create a local account/password for each Surface. First Initial, Last Name, simple password that the director has to change on first log in, and I walk them through that.

I got the "How DARE YOU" from one of the board members because he thought the password on his surface and the password to access our domain were the same. How *dare* I change his password and *Don't I know who he is* and *this ABSOLUTELY will NOT happen again* and I'm like "Dude, this is not the password to your email, it's for the tablet, you can change it to whatever you want".

He ended up emailing the CEO and CIO with his "misgivings" about "random nobodies (ACTUAL PHRASING) having access to his account".

The CIO came down to tell me, in person, not to change his password ever again. I explained the whole situation and there was a lightbulb moment for the CIO, and I never heard another word about it.

If you want to watch this rear end in a top hat hit the ceiling, tell him that the building janitors have keys to his office, too.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Antioch posted:

Good god. Is there a class you can take to get this out of touch? Because that's gotta take some work.

This post gave me a visceral reaction. Entitlement paired with ignorance on this scale boils my blood and it's tolerated everywhere.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Antioch posted:

Oh neat, C-levels and board members are just as out of touch as the partners at a law firm.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Why not domain-joined though?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Antioch posted:

I'm pretty burnt out of this place, and this is the kind of thing that would make me lost my poo poo and say something that would get me in trouble.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

pofcorn posted:

Why not domain-joined though?

No need, the only thing they use the tablets for is downloading the meeting minutes and planning stuff. I had to set up a whole system outside of our normal VPN because they didn't want to have to carry phones or a keychain with an RSA token on them.

Plus this way, every time one of them leaves the position they can just take the damned thing and I can disable the certificate and not worry about having to wipe the thing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
When I worked retail, "Please advise" was codeword for "what the gently caress is wrong with you."

"Why wasn't our latest truck load properly stocked,.

Please advise"

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Antioch posted:

You need to read and make a copy of his emails immediately. He is hiding something. Also change his computer password if you can do it without anyone knowing you did it. When he calls in to have it reset tell him you were told "never to change his password again". gently caress assholes like this.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
This is a weird one. Only MS Word .doc files - as in .doc, the 97-2003 compatibility version - when double-clicked to open from a network share, any network share, on our 2012 R2 file server will cause the Word splash to come up, and trying to navigate to other network shares on the same server causes Explorer to stop responding. Eventually Word will load the file and functionality returns to normal.

We're a Xendesk environment and all users Xendesktops have their profiles redirected to the same file server. Anything that touches the file server - including their Chrome caches, IE, etc. - will simply freeze until Word loads the file. I get the same issue if I try to open a file and browse through the share on a conventional non-Xendesk PC.

If the users open Word, then go to File -> Open and navigate to the network share, then open the file, it opens without incident.

If the users open one of the files in question successfully - either double-clicking it and waiting or via File -> Open, then retry opening another .doc file via double-clicking, the same situation repeats. It occurs on Xendesks and my normal desktop as well. I'm asking my boss to try opening from a share to see if his Mac is affected and will edit the OP when he gets in to try.

Once the file open attempt is made, the network share will hang until the file is fully open. You can't browse through it, and the Explorer window appears non-responsive.

No other file formats are affected by this issue.

I've already made the GPO changes as recommended here: http://jrs-s.net/2013/04/15/windows-server-2012-slow-networksmbcifs-problem/ I haven't rebooted the file server tonight but have permission to do so.

It's not the files or Xendesk - if I save one of the .doc files in question to my desktop, there are no issues.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Trastion posted:

You need to read and make a copy of his emails immediately. He is hiding something. Also change his computer password if you can do it without anyone knowing you did it. When he calls in to have it reset tell him you were told "never to change his password again". gently caress assholes like this.

Nah, that kind of up-your-own-rear end entitlement and self importance don't require anything scummy to actually be going on. Also, given the solid gold shitfits these people are capable of causing over the slightest things, it's best to treat them like a wasp's nest dangling next to the children's pinata. Sure it would be really funny to whack it with a stick and run like gently caress, but it tends to end poorly for absolutely everyone.

These assholes see nothing wrong with using "any reason or no reason" in your right to work states to fire you for daring to change his password.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Antioch posted:

No need, the only thing they use the tablets for is downloading the meeting minutes and planning stuff. I had to set up a whole system outside of our normal VPN because they didn't want to have to carry phones or a keychain with an RSA token on them.

Plus this way, every time one of them leaves the position they can just take the damned thing and I can disable the certificate and not worry about having to wipe the thing.

DirectAccess :clint:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

These assholes see nothing wrong with using "any reason or no reason" in your right to work at-will states to fire you for daring to change his password.

"Right to work" is the anti-union stuff.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

MJP posted:

This is a weird one. Only MS Word .doc files - as in .doc, the 97-2003 compatibility version - when double-clicked to open from a network share, any network share, on our 2012 R2 file server will cause the Word splash to come up, and trying to navigate to other network shares on the same server causes Explorer to stop responding. Eventually Word will load the file and functionality returns to normal.

We're a Xendesk environment and all users Xendesktops have their profiles redirected to the same file server. Anything that touches the file server - including their Chrome caches, IE, etc. - will simply freeze until Word loads the file. I get the same issue if I try to open a file and browse through the share on a conventional non-Xendesk PC.

If the users open Word, then go to File -> Open and navigate to the network share, then open the file, it opens without incident.

If the users open one of the files in question successfully - either double-clicking it and waiting or via File -> Open, then retry opening another .doc file via double-clicking, the same situation repeats. It occurs on Xendesks and my normal desktop as well. I'm asking my boss to try opening from a share to see if his Mac is affected and will edit the OP when he gets in to try.

Once the file open attempt is made, the network share will hang until the file is fully open. You can't browse through it, and the Explorer window appears non-responsive.

No other file formats are affected by this issue.

I've already made the GPO changes as recommended here: http://jrs-s.net/2013/04/15/windows-server-2012-slow-networksmbcifs-problem/ I haven't rebooted the file server tonight but have permission to do so.

It's not the files or Xendesk - if I save one of the .doc files in question to my desktop, there are no issues.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Is the preview pane on in Windows Explorer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

larchesdanrew posted:

I took on Spiceworks not just for tickets, but for backup; Yes, that big long list of poo poo is things I've done.

peak debt posted:

:10bux: they're trying to use passwords that don't fulfill complexity requirements

Most of mine can't figure out the "Your password has expired, please click next to make a new one" upon login.

:butt: "Did you change my password? It doesn't work when I log in please do something"
:mad: "...Are you at the log in screen now? What happens when you try your password?"
:butt: "Nothing happens it's broke come fix it"
:mad: *Walk over, click inside password box*
:mad: "Punch it in"
:butt: *Types in password*
:mad: *Click next, new password credentials boxes appear, walk away*
:butt: "Woooooow I swear that didn't happen before, daw haw haw I'm supposed to know this stuff*

• Locked thread