Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Inverse Icarus posted:

It really seems to me like they're burning the candle at three ends.

:stare: no kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Lowness 72 posted:

I watched one episode where a dude was on a "no spend" week or something. He would hop on his beat up bike and go basically live like a bum collecting cans and looking for loose change. Then he would go and try to buy food for the day on the money he found. I specifically remember he went to the butcher and was like "hey I've got like $1.57 what will you give me?". So the butcher gives him a sheep head.

He bikes it home to his wife who has this just GREAT look on her face when he shows it to her. I forgot what he made for " wine" but it was equally absurd. Great show highly recommended.

I remember that one. He goes to stay with someone for a few days and brings presents for the kids of the house that he'd made out of garbage. If he wasn't so cheerful about everything he'd be creepy as hell. Instead he just comes off as an eccentric uncle type.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

I used to watch those shows. They were bad at prepping for their specific disaster, but even worse is that they wouldn't not have done well during a natural disaster that is more likely to occur. It did get pretty sad when I watched a couple filling a shipping container with meals that would last them and a bunch of other people 20 years or more. Their house was more of a functional bunker. There seemed to be no goal or end point for their prepping. It was obvious it was compulsive behaviour. :smith:

Why don't they just retire and eat their meal rations instead of spending money on food? That sounds Good With Money to me

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Why don't they just retire and eat their meal rations instead of spending money on food? That sounds Good With Money to me

It was perfectly good food so they couldn't have done this. Instead of doing in they kept stockpiling more. You are right though it technically was an effective retirement plan and they didn't appear to owe any money to anyone so they could have been good with money.

Cleaning out the hoarded stockpiles is a major problem. There's $7m in enjoyment that he failed to have.
http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2012/09/17/7-million-in-gold-bars-found-in-reclusive-mans-home-month-after-he-died/

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 23, 2015

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Not to burst everyone's reality show bubble, but very little on extreme cheapskates is actually real. My wife reads pennies and pancakes for cheap recipes and such. TLC approached the pennies and pancakes lady for extreme cheapskates.

http://penniesandpancakes.blogspot.com/2014/06/my-invitation-to-be-filmed-for-tlcs.html?m=1

TL;DR TLC was asking the woman if she'd be willing to do all kinds of made up poo poo for shock factor. There's no reality in reality TV.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Inverse Icarus posted:

My sister, the six-months pregnant one ~20k in credit card debt with the 125+ person baby shower that's not fancy enough for her tastes and who refuses to not buy me a $500 baby swing just announced that she and her husband are remodeling their house. They're knocking down a wall between two rooms (both "living rooms") and having a fireplace put in to have one large living area with a fireplace. I asked what the estimate is but she dodged the question and quickly found a reason to end the phone call.

Does she not realize that baby humans are complete terrors who try to put everything in their mouths? Including the ash in your fireplace? I know you can get a screen for it, but I assure you that baby will do his damned hardest to get past it. A child's #1 mission is to cause harm to themselves and they're pretty drat good at it.

Even if she wanted to do that remodel, it would be in the baby's best interest to wait 5 years.

My cousin bought a house with an oddly shaped fireplace in the house. Now she's 8 1/2 months pregnant and at a complete loss as far as what to do with the fireplace. There's lots of sharp corners and a lip that's just begging to be climbed. It's nice looking, but I wouldn't want to worry about a baby around that thing.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 23, 2015

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Renegret posted:

Does she not realize that baby humans are complete terrors who try to put everything in their mouths? Including the ash in your fireplace? I know you can get a screen for it, but I assure you that baby will do his damned hardest to get past it. A child's #1 mission is to cause harm to themselves and they're pretty drat good at it.

Even if she wanted to do that remodel, it would be in the baby's best interest to wait 5 years.

My cousin bought a house with an oddly shaped fireplace in the house. Now she's 8 1/2 months pregnant and at a complete loss as far as what to do with the fireplace. There's lots of sharp corners and a lip that's just begging to be climbed. It's nice looking, but I wouldn't want to worry about a baby around that thing.

Oh dear just get a locked fireplace screen and a baby gate to put around the hearth, literally hundreds if not thousands of babies have survived childhood around fireplaces without being maimed

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Alternately, they can put the fireplace pokers in storage, sweep the ashes, and just NOT USE the fireplace for a few years if the kid ends up being totally irascible.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

If you're concerned about the fireplace, good luck as an anxiety-ridden mess as a parent. My entire family survived the scourge of a living room fireplace (brick, sharp corners, gets hot when in use, the whole deal!) and I imagine yours will as well.

Fireplaces are bad with money (unless you cut your own wood) but they're one of my happy winter splurges.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Bloody Queef posted:

TL;DR TLC was asking the woman if she'd be willing to do all kinds of made up poo poo for shock factor. There's no reality in reality TV.

Not. Shocked.At. All.

My favorite was the NJ family that wanted to move to a bigger house (why? YOU HAVE NO FURNITURE!), and were trying to sell their old one. Rather than replace or at least clean the carpet at the realtors request, they cut out the nasty parts and glued in mismatched carpet samples. They also used a pop bottle with holes in it for a shower head and flushed the toilet with a pair of pliers. Shower heads are 5 bucks, or you can ask your water company for a low flow one for free. Cheap and green! I just can't imagine why you don't do the basics if you're trying to sell a home.

Extreme Couponing is fake too. They showed a lady from my suburb doing an insane couponing binge at a King Soopers (Kroger) nearby. We somehow ended up talking to a cashier at the one we shop at about it. They said that she only went to the location she went to for the show (understandable...all the non-grocery shots were done in the townhome complexes 1 block away), she shops at the store we go to frequently, but never coupons.

Maybe she stopped because there's no point in having 200 jars of spaghetti sauce when 190 of them will get moldy before you have the chance to eat them. If you have the room, I see no issue with stockpiling non-perishables you get for next to nothing. But how many bottles of Kraft BBQ sauce can a person really need?

Or maybe she never did in the first place and just wanted the sweet TLC money.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

blackmet posted:

Or maybe she never did in the first place and just wanted the sweet TLC money.

I thought most people who weren't the stars of their own reality show (e.g. Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore) and were only the focus of just one episode (House Hunters,, etc.) didn't really get that much money.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, they get very little, sometimes nothing. A family friend is a producer who has worked on some reality shows, and people will basically put up with anything to be on TV, even if they're shown as crazy.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Gold and a Pager posted:

I thought most people who weren't the stars of their own reality show (e.g. Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore) and were only the focus of just one episode (House Hunters,, etc.) didn't really get that much money.

Probably not.

But a couple grand and getting to see yourself on TV? For that, for some people, I can see them saying "Sure, I'll pretend that I eat things like fish carcasses and live to clip coupons for a couple days. Why not?"

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Inverse Icarus posted:

planning to effectively drop an extra mortgage payment every month on daycare.

I'm doing this, it's almost as much as ~--=MY 15 YEAR MORTGAGE=--~ but at least it's for two kids instead of one :v:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Devian666 posted:

I used to watch those shows. They were bad at prepping for their specific disaster, but even worse is that they wouldn't not have done well during a natural disaster that is more likely to occur. It did get pretty sad when I watched a couple filling a shipping container with meals that would last them and a bunch of other people 20 years or more. Their house was more of a functional bunker. There seemed to be no goal or end point for their prepping. It was obvious it was compulsive behaviour. :smith:

"Prepper Fiction" is an actual genre of self published novels that you can get on the Kindle, where the world totally ends and everyone but the preppers are screwed.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...prepper+fiction

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

blackmet posted:

Probably not.

But a couple grand and getting to see yourself on TV? For that, for some people, I can see them saying "Sure, I'll pretend that I eat things like fish carcasses and live to clip coupons for a couple days. Why not?"

My brother knew some people in San Diego who were moving to Australia for a couple of years, and then moved back to the US. If I remember correctly, House Hunters International (I think was the name of the show) contacted them to do an episode about shopping for a house to buy in Australia, after they'd already moved back to the States.

Why the gently caress they bothered to go along with it is anyone's guess. Reminds me of these Mitchell and Webb skits:
http://youtu.be/nWoWHzq21tA
http://youtu.be/4mbqHsObQ5s

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
The MMM is bleeding into the reddit, I repeat the MMM is bleeding into the reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2wti9t/is_it_better_for_me_to_invest_in_a_better_social/

quote:

If the question is "pay important debts" or "go out and have fun," the answer is always the former.

quote:

If you are contractually obligated to properly manage something lest it ruin your livelihood for at least seven years, your social life can wait for another 1.5 years. Your social life is not a contract, but your responsibilities are.

quote:

Did you miss this line? He feels pressured by his friends, though perhaps indirectly, to spend more even though it goes against his nature. Thus increasing the focus on something that's not a top priority simple out of emotion.

That last sentence is going on my tombstone. "Here lies pathetic little tramp, who focussed on something that was not a top priority simply out of emotion."

quote:

He has a debt that he can close out in under 2 years. He has a social life that he has decades to improve.

There is simply no way to justify spending extra money now on a social life when there are far more pressing issues.

quote:

As someone that has done exactly NONE of the socializing with co-workers thing it hasn't hurt me. There is a tangible value in having a professional as opposed to social relationship with your coworkers.

The dude they're criticising for daring to have friends instead of paying off his student loans RIGHTTHEFUCKNOW can be free and clear of 41k worth of loans by October 2016.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Mister Money Mustache is bad with money.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

slap me silly posted:

I think it's "Bad with Humanity". He's great with money...just terrible at being a reasonable person.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

slap me silly posted:

Tell me more :allears:

I love money guru poo poo talking.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Renegret posted:

We had fireplaces with sharp stone benches or hearths in every house I and my sister were raised in. Zero resulting injuries. It's like stairs and stoves, you teach your child what's up, and natural selection takes care of the rest...

The pussificaion of America. It's here. Humans lost.

Bloody Queef posted:

Not to burst everyone's reality show bubble, but very little on extreme cheapskates is actually real. My wife reads pennies and pancakes for cheap recipes and such. TLC approached the pennies and pancakes lady for extreme cheapskates.

http://penniesandpancakes.blogspot.com/2014/06/my-invitation-to-be-filmed-for-tlcs.html?m=1

This is awesome and doesn't surprise me in the least.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

lord1234 posted:

I think it's "Bad with Humanity". He's great with money...just terrible at being a reasonable person.

are you assigning every post on his forum to the guy himself? they seem pretty reasonable on the blog. yeah not everyone has a fully paid off house in colorado or a blog bringing in big bucks, but the advice is more or less reasonable and doesn't involve living in a dirt hovel reusing floss. it's "dont buy more poo poo than you need" "no, you dont need that" "yes, you probably can ride a bike."

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

xie posted:

are you assigning every post on his forum to the guy himself? they seem pretty reasonable on the blog. yeah not everyone has a fully paid off house in colorado or a blog bringing in big bucks, but the advice is more or less reasonable and doesn't involve living in a dirt hovel reusing floss. it's "dont buy more poo poo than you need" "no, you dont need that" "yes, you probably can ride a bike."

No you are correct. Most of the dreck that posts to his forums, thats bad with money. His advice is actually pretty good IMO. People have just taken it and extrapolated it WAYYYYY out into some r/frugal_jerk level insanity.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Here's the thing that got me pissed off at Master Ministache: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/07/25/50-jobs-over-50000-without-a-degree-part-1/

None of those jobs have typical pay of $50k starting out, or even ever, and he cites a bunch of hourly rates without accounting for overhead. It's all "I don't have any experience with this stuff but I heard a cool rumor and I'm a rich writer so it's probably true". Oh, and "My blog makes six figures so blogs make six figures!!1!" Knyteguy's wife almost got sucked into wasting a lot of time and money on a real estate license thanks to that post.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

That's a great article. "Just become a popular musician or successful writer and all of your money problems will go away! It's so simple!" I'm amazed he actually put Ideas Guy as a profession.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
He's out of loving ideas so he pretty much posts whatever he can think of to keep the money rolling in.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Ah that's actually gold. Though he does teach you how to start a blog in another article. And the self publishing thing on Amazon, I wouldn't quit my job for it, but there's a thread right here on SA about writing erotica and poo poo on Amazon.

quote:

7: Landscape Company Owner - a little trickier because it requires knowledge of plants and design principles as well as heat tolerance, but in general a lucrative field if you work in a high-income area. Nobody does their own gardening these days.

Don't go to college, just... somehow own a profitable landscaping company!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

slap me silly posted:

Here's the thing that got me pissed off at Master Ministache: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/07/25/50-jobs-over-50000-without-a-degree-part-1/

None of those jobs have typical pay of $50k starting out, or even ever, and he cites a bunch of hourly rates without accounting for overhead. It's all "I don't have any experience with this stuff but I heard a cool rumor and I'm a rich writer so it's probably true". Oh, and "My blog makes six figures so blogs make six figures!!1!" Knyteguy's wife almost got sucked into wasting a lot of time and money on a real estate license thanks to that post.

I loved this one personally:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/04/06/frugal_living_in_manhattan/

His assertion "they got rich living on 65k in Manhattan! Wow!"

The reality: 65k was post-tax, and they got raises, and they about doubled their income by using airbnb which is now illegal. But he just dismisses and yells at anyone who points out how grossly their means were misrepresented.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

slap me silly posted:

Knyteguy's wife almost got sucked into wasting a lot of time and money on a real estate license thanks to that post.

Real estate agents who earn around $5,000/year:

Real estate agents who earn $455,000/year:

Average: $50,000/year.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I thought AirBnB was ok in NYC if you were just renting out an extra room in a house you occupied.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

slap me silly posted:

The first 6 are trades along with "House Builder" and mechanic, so sure technically no degree required, but there's still a multi year apprenticeship's at least.

My personal favorite is "Passive Income Guru".

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Centripetal Horse posted:

Real estate agents who earn around $5,000/year:

Real estate agents who earn $455,000/year:

Average: $50,000/year.

My old group (and my current one recently) participates in a program that gives under-privileged young adults 6 months of schooling and either (their choice) finance or IT training. They then get a 6 month internship to get on the job experience. These are people who had no upward mobility, no chance at home ownership, no benefits, etc.

One of them who worked with us is now on a 1 year full time contract, and has decided that the stable $57,000 a year paycheck, 5% retirement contribution, health benefits, discounted train pass, etc. isn't enough, and now wants to quit and get his real estate license so he can make "real money." We've tried to talk him out of it and explained that for the first time in his life he is making real money, and working for fair pay isn't sexy or quick, but he has the best loving chance at an awesome stable life that he's ever had.

He's trying to get approval for a mortgage on a place in the bad part of town, fancying himself a landlord. He doesn't even have stable income after August. They may absolutely extend his contract, but they may not.

And of course he has a kid.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I thought AirBnB was ok in NYC if you were just renting out an extra room in a house you occupied.

One of the big issues with it is if they're living in a subsidized building (and hoo boy that is nice rent for a 2bed/2ba) then they need to abide by the landlord's rules for subletting. Hint: they won't be cool with it, especially if it's a university.

I actually don't know the legal status of AirBnB right now, though, although as a tenant I don't appreciate my building mates giving out keys to random people.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I love AirBnB, I made $10k ransacking peoples' homes last year. Like all things in life, find a lucrative market and exploit it

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

disheveled posted:

I love AirBnB, I made $10k ransacking peoples' homes last year. Like all things in life, find a lucrative market and exploit it

Other great ways to use the crowdsourcing economy for financial benefit:

- Get a dumb person to carry a bomb on board a plane via carry.it, make ransom demands
- Wait until there's a shooting or massacre going on and become an Uber driver to take advantage of surge pricing
- Get a bunch of people to design logos for you in a 'contest', pay only the winner a ridiculously low amount

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Nail Rat posted:

I loved this one personally:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/04/06/frugal_living_in_manhattan/

His assertion "they got rich living on 65k in Manhattan! Wow!"

The reality: 65k was post-tax, and they got raises, and they about doubled their income by using airbnb which is now illegal. But he just dismisses and yells at anyone who points out how grossly their means were misrepresented.

Only $65k!!!*

Plus ~$36k from AirBNB
Plus $4.5k from gold gift
Plus $10k from side work

ONLY $115.5k.... net.... ONLY!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

pathetic little tramp posted:

- Get a bunch of people to design logos for you in a 'contest', pay only the winner a ridiculously low amount nothing except the $10 you spent on your forums account before you were banned.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

OneWhoKnows posted:

Only $65k!!!*

Plus ~$36k from AirBNB
Plus $4.5k from gold gift
Plus $10k from side work

ONLY $115.5k.... net.... ONLY!
Guessing that they didn't account for taxes in that airbnb income, either.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I like how he equates billing rate to pay rate. It's like he doesn't even realize that the worker himself makes only a fraction of that.

My job bills my hours out at $100-150/hour. Yet when I first started, I was paid $25/hour. So if an apprentice plumber or whatever has a billing rate of $65/hour...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

To be fair, $25/hr is over 50k, and many journeyman utility workers do make money in that wheelhouse.

• Locked thread