Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I've been using some ungodly torso up clownsuit through all of HR but the horrendous lack of fashion hunter is worth Sharpness+1, AuL, Evasion+1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I'm using all Gobul gunning armor, save for a Zinogre Vest S. Gives me Normal Up, Evasion 1, and Critical Eye +2, plus dyed right it makes me look like the ultimate massive gay emperor Zhang Handflip Haaaaaaaaaaaay.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I can't believe I never used the Switch Axe before 4. It's such a fun weapon to use. Conveniently it also cuts through Velocidromes like butter.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

MH virgin here. I ordered this and it'll be here in a week. Should I dick around on the demo, or wait until I get the game proper? From some begging guides I see I should do all the weapons missions to see what works for me best.

I will be primarily single player in if that matters.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bombadilillo posted:

MH virgin here. I ordered this and it'll be here in a week. Should I dick around on the demo, or wait until I get the game proper? From some begging guides I see I should do all the weapons missions to see what works for me best.

Demo is probably worth it if you want to get a feel for the weapons ahead of time, but don't spend too much time on it, as the fights in the demo are fights that you'll need to do repeatedly in the real game in order to gear up, and it's not really worth burning out by fighting demo Tetsucabra 20 times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Haquer posted:

MH4U has ~2 second loading times between zones now, so this is mitigated a lot compared to older games (5+ seconds easily)

And it's great having zones because all the zones can be completely different in appearance and don't have to flow together and also getting to step into another zone to quickly heal and sharpen and takes a quick breather is really loving nice in high-end High Rank and G Rank fights.

That's true, segregating the zones is a gameplay mechanic even if it is wonky.

Still, I'd like to see more buffer room in that case.

Saigyouji posted:

I can't believe I never used the Switch Axe before 4. It's such a fun weapon to use. Conveniently it also cuts through Velocidromes like butter.

Yeah its a great weapon. The best weapon :colbert:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Bombadilillo posted:

The demo will chuck you right into a hunt with minimal instructions and a set of pretty high-level equipment, which may be a bit confounding for a first look at the game but it'll quickly show you what the meat of the series is rather than easing you in with a bunch of gathering quests and upgrading before you can start looking like a badass.

Unrelatedly, are there any good low-rank places to get Felvine? I have a couple pieces but need a lot more, and the Wycoon is so drat slow. Apparently areas 4 and 8 in the Frozen Seaway have good drop rates, but I never find plant gathering points in either of those spots.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Saigyouji posted:

I just wish that monsters would actually stay in their starting position until you've found them. It's not so bad the first time you do a quest, since they stay put, but having to run laps around the map because you keep barely missing them is annoying.

Trade for Vivid Feathers, get Psychic jewels?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Bombadilillo posted:

Demo actually put me off a bit when I tried it originally. I dived in later with the main game and was better off. The demo seems better for showing old time fans what's up. All I walked out of with in the demo was "these loving controls".

I'd just watch the tutorial videos a lot about the weapons. There's a lot to take in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bombadilillo posted:

You should play the demo if only to find out what weapon type you like best. Then when you get the game proper you can jump in already knowing what to use and craft.

There are so many different weapon styles and they all play very different (3 are 3rd person shooters, 2 are first person shooters, and the rest are 3rd person melee dodgeroll shenanigans, SUPER different playstyles) and different ones appeal to different people.

Good newbie weapons are Dual Sword, Sword N Shield, and Hammer. Sword and Shield is easy but feels a little boring; Charge blade is the same thing but more badass, although also far more complicated. Long Sword and Great Sword hit really hard but are much much harder to use right. Lance plays completely different than the rest of the melee, all about blocking and tanking instead of rolling out of the way. Gunlance is just :black101: as gently caress. Switch Axe is brilliant as is Insect Glaive.

On the other hand I have a friend who likes light bowgun and heavy bowgun but the rest of the game doesn't appeal to him. :shrug:

Try out at least one hunt as each weapon type, and see what you like. Start with the Great Jaggi fight. When you find one you like, then try that against Tetsucabra for more challenge, to see if it really works for you.

As others mentioned the demo starts you off with fairly high level equipment which could be a little confusing, but its also kinda nice. The real game has a much slower and more gentle learning curve that teaches you game mechanics, but it also can take hours to really get to the fun stuff. The demo just drops you right in to a good solid boss fight wearing good armor and using a good weapon.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll just wait for the game proper. Getting pretty excited.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its a great weapon. The best weapon :colbert:

I feel bad because it's so powerful. Even with the lowered damage from 3U it absolutely destroys monsters.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I love the Switch Axe too but I feel the Charge Blade has replaced it due to how incredibly satisfying it is to land a red-charged ultra-burst. It looks and sounds like it could crack the planet in half.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Potsticker posted:

I feel bad because it's so powerful. Even with the lowered damage from 3U it absolutely destroys monsters.

Its usually not too bad, plenty of other weapons can destroy monsters too. I mean, that's why we use them! :haw:

But every now and then I'll start an infinite combo, manage to stagger them right as they're about to move/attack, just keep comboing, then they get back up, still comboing, then they move a little bit and I roll and keep the combo going on and on, and then get them to where they're limping away after a single combo and I think drat, it feels good to be a gangster.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Right, right. Less self loathing and more pride in being a switchaxe gangster.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Pierson posted:

I love the Switch Axe too but I feel the Charge Blade has replaced it due to how incredibly satisfying it is to land a red-charged ultra-burst. It looks and sounds like it could crack the planet in half.

I've been maining hammers since Freedom 2, and even I've fallen in love with the charge blade. With impact phials you have a weapon that can dish out bladed and blunt damage at the same time for both cuts and KO's, has a shield, and it seems a lot less unwieldy than the hammer to boot. Feels like the love child of SnS and a greatsword. I did also notice the new A-X-X combo for hammers which is also great, but I think I've found a new main.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Right, right. Less self loathing and more pride in being a switchaxe gangster.

I could do this all day :cool:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My only dislike of the charge blade is that new ones seem to come rarely in the early game. I hope it picks up. Seeing like 5 new SnS weapons and DB weapons and still no new charge blades is kind of a bummer.

Also I am complete garbage at getting guard points to work reliably.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rascyc posted:

My only dislike of the charge blade is that new ones seem to come rarely in the early game. I hope it picks up. Seeing like 5 new SnS weapons and DB weapons and still no new charge blades is kind of a bummer.

Glaives have this same issue. Three glaives in all of Low Rank, four if you count Kirin. The new weapons don't have many Low Rank entries. It gets better over time, though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, new weapons get shafted in their intro generation. Believe it or not, there are more Charge Blades and Insect Glaives in LR than there were in MH4 basic.

They really start opening up in High Rank though.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

How do you actually unlock LR Kirin, anyway? Just do the 6* quests?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Since I decided to heavily invest in SnS as my main now that I'm in HR, I think I'm going to embrace the batman aspect of being able to use items while unsheathed. What are some good poo poo to bring along? I know how flash bombs work, but what do sonic bombs do? Are boomerangs worth using for hitting poo poo like khezu while they're lightninginging around themselves?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

alarumklok posted:

Since I decided to heavily invest in SnS as my main now that I'm in HR, I think I'm going to embrace the batman aspect of being able to use items while unsheathed. What are some good poo poo to bring along? I know how flash bombs work, but what do sonic bombs do? Are boomerangs worth using for hitting poo poo like khezu while they're lightninginging around themselves?

Sonic bombs and flash bombs are the same thing, but some work on monsters that the others don't.

Sonic bombs are good at forcing monsters that burrow underground to come to the surface, for instance.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I could do this all day :cool:

I had a hunting horn player give me the no stamina drain song and this is basically how that hunt went.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm farming Teostra mats, does anyone see anything wrong with this plan: Damage him until he limps off and goes to sleep. Just wait out the rest of the time limit so he gets repelled. Then come back again and finish him off quickly. Two reward screens for very little extra effort! (I know the repel rewards are lower than the kill rewards)

Saigyouji posted:

How do you actually unlock LR Kirin, anyway? Just do the 6* quests?

Yeah, that will unlock an urgent to fight him. The urgent goes away once you beat him but then you can get him as a guild quest.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
In the HR caravan quests Seregios has really perfected the art of turning up precisely when he's not wanted. I'm about to go to town on a tripped azure rathalos? HI SEREGIOS! I've just knocked Brachy out of his frenzy after much pain and suffering ? HOWDY SARGE!

Seriously, whenever I'm about to get the upper hand on a monster temporarily he turns up and cockblocks me.

And next up is a frenzied Deviljho :gonk:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Potsticker posted:

I had a hunting horn player give me the no stamina drain song and this is basically how that hunt went.

That song is so sick, in MH3U my friends and I formed a team of one HH and 3 DS, and we'd all go demon when he played the song and just tore poo poo up.

SA rules though. Its got so much versatility and still looks loving metal as hell. :black101:

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Can't quite put my finger on it, but something is telling me Zaphod has a massive boner for Switch Axes.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

swAxe is good poo poo. Wildly swing your axe then turn it into a sword and wildly swing your sword and sometimes explosions

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

switch axe just seems like a half assed greatsword to me

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

in 3u you werent even supposed to use the axe mode at all did they change that

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Awesome! posted:

Yeah, see that gif? That's the amazing axe mode attack they added. So now it's like you only use Sword mode 80% of the time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Awesome! posted:

Its the opposite, GS is a half-assed SA :getin:

Really GS is all about charge attacks. SA is a GS that can still do a charge attack but in general is more about fast hitting combos. It just feels better and it doesn't punish you as hard on certain really fast bosses the way that GS does.

Awesome! posted:

Nah but nobody cares.

There's a couple axe mode moves that are super useful, there's an uppercut with more reach than any other attack in the game and there's an infinite combo that hits really hard and really fast but burns through your stamina like nothing else (amazing for when the monster gets downed)

In general though sword form is way better and it charges so fast (and its painless to 'reload') so why not use that most of the time? :cheeky:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, see that gif? That's the amazing axe mode attack they added. So now it's like you only use Sword mode 80% of the time.

that was in 3u

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Awesome! posted:

Honestly I keep trying switch axe and besides the odd times where mind's eye is helpful I just think "Why am I not using Charge Blade" :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If they really wanted to force people to use axe they'd remove the ability to "reload" and they'd make it charge slower, and then maybe make sword hit harder to compensate.

But its cool, that's not really what SA is about. That's what CB is all about; changing between forms as you build up phases.

SA is more just flexibility.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like beating poo poo up with hammers. Hammers are cool.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Is there a list somewhere of what the excavated weapons are? I found the old Nibelsnarf greatsword from MH3U and man, if the Nibel HBG is available, I'd spend all the time it took to get a good one.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Hammers have never really clicked with me, to be honest. Dunno why. Ran with lances for most of 3, then picked up DBs for 4 until I murdered Shagaru, at which point I decided to give the axes a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Awesome! posted:

that was in 3u

Was it? I never used it. Or axe mode at all, charging was either reload or sheathe.

• Locked thread