Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Plastic wrap works for me. As a bonus, you get to tap off the condensation, because that's strangely satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

nuru posted:

My Anova came so I googled to get an idea of what my first thing should be:

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-steak

The hell? Salt and pepper after searing?

Some basic tinkering with the seasoning of your food is usually the final step to cooking just about anything?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

nuru posted:

My Anova came so I googled to get an idea of what my first thing should be:

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-steak

The hell? Salt and pepper after searing?

You generally want to season it when you put it in the bag, and again right before you serve it. If you do the final salt & pepper pass right before searing a lot of it is going to come off in the pan, or get rubbed off if you use a torch since you need to pat the steaks dry first to allow them to sear quickly without overcooking them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pepper will burn when searing, and lose all of its pepperness (piperine, technically).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

1) Will this hurt my cook, letting the meet get up to ~room temperature, and then re-sous videing it for the remaining time at 184F? Will this ruin flavor, texture, juiciness etc?

I would not eat this and would definitely not even consider feeding it to anyone else.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Thanks for the heads up guys, I tossed the brisket, and will be redoing my cook sometime this week, and wrapping the drat thing in foil to hopefully help with the water loss. Thanks for the suggestions, I am bummed I wasted so much meat :(

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

You generally want to season it when you put it in the bag, and again right before you serve it. If you do the final salt & pepper pass right before searing a lot of it is going to come off in the pan, or get rubbed off if you use a torch since you need to pat the steaks dry first to allow them to sear quickly without overcooking them.

It was the lack of seasoning before bagging that was throwing me off, to be clear.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nuru posted:

It was the lack of seasoning before bagging that was throwing me off, to be clear.

Pepper gets funky with long cooks. I don't really know if there's any benefit on using it with short cooks either though, since the pepper flavor won't penetrate the meat and the pepper itself will get burned when searing (assuming any stays on).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pepper gets funky with long cooks. I don't really know if there's any benefit on using it with short cooks either though, since the pepper flavor won't penetrate the meat and the pepper itself will get burned when searing (assuming any stays on).

I just peppered strip steaks on a 2 hour cook that I pan seared and the pepper was noticeable.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I would not eat this and would definitely not even consider feeding it to anyone else.

Wouldn't the meat be pasteurized if it had spent enough (any) time at 184f?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Grapist posted:

Wouldn't the meat be pasteurized if it had spent enough (any) time at 184f?

See above: Killing the bacteria doesn't mean you're killing the bacterial enterotoxins which are what cause some forms of food poisoning. The thing shut off during the night, at some random point during the cook, so you have no way to tell (a) how hot the inside got or (b) how long it stayed that hot for. It's reasonably possible the thing's safe to eat. It's also reasonably possible that it's not.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Phanatic posted:

See above: Killing the bacteria doesn't mean you're killing the bacterial enterotoxins which are what cause some forms of food poisoning. The thing shut off during the night, at some random point during the cook, so you have no way to tell (a) how hot the inside got or (b) how long it stayed that hot for. It's reasonably possible the thing's safe to eat. It's also reasonably possible that it's not.

Right, I got that that's why I was saying that it would've been fine if it reached 184f,( or I think as low as 140f, maybe 160f?), even for a second during the cook, before shutting off due to low water levels. It would've killed the bacteria before it had time to create enterotoxins.

Holding it at the danger zone after the bacteria is killed would've been fine since it was pasteurized. I happened to me one on of my first cooks, but since I was also cooking at a relatively high temperature for a long cook, I plugged in the numbers (weight, thickness, volume of water and final temp, etc) and realized that the meat was pasteurized before I went to sleep, which was hours before the shutoff.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Grapist posted:

Holding it at the danger zone after the bacteria is killed would've been fine since it was pasteurized. I happened to me one on of my first cooks, but since I was also cooking at a relatively high temperature for a long cook, I plugged in the numbers (weight, thickness, volume of water and final temp, etc) and realized that the meat was pasteurized before I went to sleep, which was hours before the shutoff.

No. Pasteurized doesn't mean that *everything* is dead. Pasteurization isn't the same thing as sterilization; the FDA-recommended temperatures for pasteurization are specified to achieve a 5-log reduction in bacterial populations; which means for everyone 100,000 bacteria you used to have, now you have 1. If you let the food sit in the danger zone, the remaining bacteria will start multiplying again. In addition, sporulating bacteria can sit there and survive the high temp, and if you let them sit in the danger zone they will also come out of spore form and become active again.

And sitting at 94 degrees is pretty much worst-possible case. It's not just danger-zone, it's like right in the heart of the growth curve. E. Coli's going to double every 18 minutes or so at that temp. C. perfringen will double in under 10 minutes.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

Phanatic posted:

No. Pasteurized doesn't mean that *everything* is dead. Pasteurization isn't the same thing as sterilization; the FDA-recommended temperatures for pasteurization are specified to achieve a 5-log reduction in bacterial populations; which means for everyone 100,000 bacteria you used to have, now you have 1. If you let the food sit in the danger zone, the remaining bacteria will start multiplying again. In addition, sporulating bacteria can sit there and survive the high temp, and if you let them sit in the danger zone they will also come out of spore form and become active again.

And sitting at 94 degrees is pretty much worst-possible case. It's not just danger-zone, it's like right in the heart of the growth curve. E. Coli's going to double every 18 minutes or so at that temp. C. perfringen will double in under 10 minutes.

Right, you're correct, it kills 99.99%, and the .01% that survives is more resilient than the rest of the bacteria. And then you're letting it incubate in an anaerobic environment. Oh, BioChem, how I long to forget you. Like the rest of my chem degree.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Also, Botulinum spores are not destroyed until you hit 250 degrees (this is why you need a pressure canner in order to safely can foods). The vacuum bag is a perfect environment for anaerobic bacteria like botulinum, which will happily germinate from said spores and then produce toxins.

(In the case of botox it does actually break down right around 185 degrees, but it is pretty unusual to puddlevizzle meat that high, this case being an outlier.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What veg is worth sous viding? I did the serious eats carrots but I don't see any benefit over just doing them in a pan in butter anyway considering that I still have to clean a pan after

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not a whole lot, really. Carrots I like and there are a couple modernist mashed potato things but other than that I think vegetables don't have the same kinds of proteins that benefit from long term cooks.

Vegetables still sorta benefit from precise temperature control, which helps avoid over cooking, also from the evenly distributed heating. But it's not as critical cause you can be off by a couple minutes and it's no big deal. With meat it's like playing jenga where everything gets destroyed instantly.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 23, 2015

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I like broccoli.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Is it just me or is this guy doing everything you shouldn't do with sous vide?

http://stefangourmet.com/2013/06/02/hanger-steak-sous-vide/

tldr: he cooks his onglet for 1 hour at 103F, then 1 hour at 121F, then 3 hours at 131F for "warm aging".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
We've been discussing (back and forth in the last few pages) the possibility of cooking in the danger zone for a maximum of 4 hours. The idea is that the meat's own enzymes are the most active in danger zone temps, so as long as you keep it within 4 hours it should still theoretically be safe and, if the enzyme action works as advertised, more tender than a steak just cooked sous vide.

Out of my own sense of self-preservation, I would limit the "danger zone" cooking to 2-3 hours, which Stefan seems to do as well, bringing it up to 131°F afterwards for "real cooking."

I have not tried it yet myself but a couple goons have and said it seems to work. I have to stress that this is all playing with fire so take extra precaution and sniff carefully and stuff so that you don't get 48 hours of explosive diarrhea.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

What veg is worth sous viding? I did the serious eats carrots but I don't see any benefit over just doing them in a pan in butter anyway considering that I still have to clean a pan after

I really want to give carmelizing onions a shot since every time I try doing it myself (quickly) I burn it, or if I try the low temp method it takes hours which sitting on an open stove... nope...

There's also garlic confit, which is a good sous vide prep, but it's a lot of garlic for a 2wk shelf life.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I'm curious to know if anyone else is having similar issues with their Anova Precision. The metal skirt on mine is now really loose and wobbly in all the possible attachment orientations. I also noticed the impeller is off-centre and can actually rub against the plastic cap if you attach the clip certain ways. Speaking of the clip, the paint on the bottom is peeling and bubbling where it sits in the moving water at the minimum fill line in a small container.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Bob_McBob posted:

I'm curious to know if anyone else is having similar issues with their Anova Precision. The metal skirt on mine is now really loose and wobbly in all the possible attachment orientations. I also noticed the impeller is off-centre and can actually rub against the plastic cap if you attach the clip certain ways. Speaking of the clip, the paint on the bottom is peeling and bubbling where it sits in the moving water at the minimum fill line in a small container.

http://community.anovaculinary.com/discussion/324/rattling

quote:

Rattling is very common and not indicative of a problem with your unit. Remove the skirt and gently re-align the metal shaft that the impeller is on. This can be done by gently pushing the shaft back to the center. Sometimes, due to the vibration of the motor running or the process of the clamp tightening onto the pot, the shaft moves slightly out of place causing a noise. Thanks again !

I guess the official response is "push it back into alignment"

If it comes crooked again, you can take advantage of their 1 year warranty with covered shipping.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Steve Yun posted:

We've been discussing (back and forth in the last few pages) the possibility of cooking in the danger zone for a maximum of 4 hours. The idea is that the meat's own enzymes are the most active in danger zone temps, so as long as you keep it within 4 hours it should still theoretically be safe and, if the enzyme action works as advertised, more tender than a steak just cooked sous vide.

Out of my own sense of self-preservation, I would limit the "danger zone" cooking to 2-3 hours, which Stefan seems to do as well, bringing it up to 131°F afterwards for "real cooking."

I have not tried it yet myself but a couple goons have and said it seems to work. I have to stress that this is all playing with fire so take extra precaution and sniff carefully and stuff so that you don't get 48 hours of explosive diarrhea.

In my experience, one nice bout of food poisoning tends to plant you firmly on the cautious side of the fence for a long time.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Bob_McBob posted:

Yeah, my skirt's really loose now too. I tried putting a few wraps of ptfe tape on the body to tighten it up, but it doesn't look like it was enough. Next I'm thinking a drop of some sort of slightly elastic glue in each of the detents where the skirt nubs are supposed to lock in. No problem with the clip, though.

I DID almost fry my Anova the other day, on the other hand. Just doing a few hours cook, and covered the container with aluminum foil, but apparently had it torn around the base of the Anova just right to vent whatever vapor there was right up the back of the unit, which proceeded to enter through the speaker vents and condense on the electronics, leading to a runaway temperature increase and the whole thing beeping and faulting out and flashing gibberish on the display. Glad I caught it right when it happened, because a few hours of drying over a furnace grate and all is well again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Dane posted:

In my experience, one nice bout of food poisoning tends to plant you firmly on the cautious side of the fence for a long time.

Even 30 minutes to an hour in the danger zone might be beneficial. I recall Alton Brown had a oven reverse sear method that would've put the steaks in the danger zone for about 25 minutes and he talked about enzymes being active below 120F

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Jose posted:

Kenji says to use a water bath to activate sweet potato enzymes for increased sweetness. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/food-lab-sweet-potatoes-mashed-science-not-sugar-thanksgiving.html I did this and, while I didn't do an A/B, they roasted great.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I found the effect to be negligible, tbh.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
One of my fav things with sous vide is still poached eggs. 145*F for 45 minutes, then poached in simmering water for 90 seconds. I used them to make some delicious pasta carbonara. I also used some pork belly I cured myself (my first foray into charcuterie, huzzah!). Once you broke into the egg the yolk would twine decadently with the noodles. It was delicious.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I need to do more poached eggs since the one time I did them they were great, however I did them following chef steps guide of 13 minutes at 75C and not needing to be put into water after. I'd recommend giving it a go for anyone who's doing them for 45 minutes + poaching in a pan anyway

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011
Made a pretty tasty burger today. Patty was 80% ground chuck and I used about 2/3 of a pound. I wanted it especially meaty. Finished the sear with a shallow fry in a cast iron. Rest of ingredients were a slice of smoked gouda, buttered sesame seed bun, gem lettuce, red onion, kewpie mayonnaise, and a tomato slice that's hiding somewhere.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

shoulda blowtorched that cheese

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

shoulda blowtorched that cheese

Yeah I would have if I had a blowtorch :(

I didn't even bother to melt it all the way in the broiler. I was SO hungry and barely managed to take a picture before I shoveled it into my mouth.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

hoshkwon posted:

Yeah I would have if I had a blowtorch :(

I didn't even bother to melt it all the way in the broiler. I was SO hungry and barely managed to take a picture before I shoveled it into my mouth.

How the hell did you even manage to cram that monstrosity into your maw? Are you an anaconda capable of unhinging your jaw or something? :stare:

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011

ShadowCatboy posted:

How the hell did you even manage to cram that monstrosity into your maw? Are you an anaconda capable of unhinging your jaw or something? :stare:

oh it was a complete mess. but delicious.

Honestly though, this was one of my first sous vide ventures and I have a lovely electric coil stove and no blowtorch so I thought that my post waterbath sear would be disastrous if the meat wasn't thick enough. In retrospect a shallow fry in my cast iron only took like 30 sec on each side to get a decent crust and minimal grey band edges. I'll do a 1/2 lb patty next time.

hoshkwon fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 26, 2015

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I eat costco boneless skinless chicken breasts every day for lunch. I vizzle them with some herbs and garlic, whatever I feel like. A lot of time I also just the chicken with this costco Mesquite seasoning and it tastes drat good. Especially for the $2/lbs or whatever it costs.

Recently I have been experimenting with different temperatures to see what new texture each temperature yields.

What is the lowest temperature I should go without risk of getting some rare illness?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Probably 130 for 2.5 hours or 135 for 1 hour

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 26, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I do 135 all the time. I don't go below 130 for long cooks.

This is from back a bit, but thanks for the response. I'm planning to do a chuck roast for 24 hours at 135° and wanted to confirm I wasn't brewing myself a really lousy weekend.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is from back a bit, but thanks for the response. I'm planning to do a chuck roast for 24 hours at 135° and wanted to confirm I wasn't brewing myself a really lousy weekend.

24 hours at 135 is fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

i'm butter poaching some potatoes right now for 1hr@190. I'll be reheating pork chops at 142 later tonight. how long can i hold the potatoes for before texture or taste become an issue?

I'll pull the taters, dump and replace half the water to get down to 140-ish, and then drop the chops and taters back in to puddle/re-warm at 142 until around 7 (maybe 90 minutes peak).

The chops were at 144 for an hour before getting chilled and placed back into the fridge friday.