Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

I just timed out of a Cutter's Cry Duty Finder run with a White Mage who, despite apparently being canny enough to have a Swiftcast-Raise macro, spent the first boss fight running around in circles from the adds; and a level 38 Thaumaturge who only used Fire III and Blizzard I - and I do mean only, I didn't even see a Transpose. We wiped twice to the first boss, once to the second and at least five times to the Chimera. I don't mean to be too nasty about it because the Thaumaturge at least was blatantly a new player, but at the same time Cutter's Cry is awful and that Chimera is literally the only thing between me and Gae Bolg Animus.

The White Mage was acting correctly on the first boss. The best strategy is to simply grab aggro as the healer and then run circles around the outside edge of the arena, as it prevents the adds from healing the Princess and her attacks are nowhere near deadly enough to warrant standing still and healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Dr Snofeld posted:

I just timed out of a Cutter's Cry Duty Finder run with a White Mage who, despite apparently being canny enough to have a Swiftcast-Raise macro, spent the first boss fight running around in circles from the adds; and a level 38 Thaumaturge who only used Fire III and Blizzard I - and I do mean only, I didn't even see a Transpose. We wiped twice to the first boss, once to the second and at least five times to the Chimera. I don't mean to be too nasty about it because the Thaumaturge at least was blatantly a new player, but at the same time Cutter's Cry is awful and that Chimera is literally the only thing between me and Gae Bolg Animus.

Healer kiting the adds is the standard strat for the first boss, and a DPS/tank can pretty much solo the chimera with good use of Second Wind/Bloodbath.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

I just timed out of a Cutter's Cry Duty Finder run with a White Mage who, despite apparently being canny enough to have a Swiftcast-Raise macro, spent the first boss fight running around in circles from the adds;

This is the standard strategy, actually.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Vermain posted:

The White Mage was acting correctly on the first boss. The best strategy is to simply grab aggro as the healer and then run circles around the outside edge of the arena, as it prevents the adds from healing the Princess and her attacks are nowhere near deadly enough to warrant standing still and healing.

I'll defer to this one, because I have no idea what the optimal strategy is for that boss since I did Cutter's Cry once when levelling and never again. Although the time I told him not to do that was the time we won.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 23, 2015

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Dr Snofeld posted:

The healer kiting the adds while the dps and tank burn down the boss is the accepted strat for that first boss.

Not sure about your level 38 not-black-mage though.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I will not judge a BLM/THM at that level because from levels 20 to 50 THM/BLM rotations keep changing and every time you're level synced you have to figure out which lovely order is the one you can actually use.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm very likely being too harsh because I spent half an hour wiping to Chimera because only me and the (actually pretty alright) tank could dodge properly.

And honestly I can give not being a BLM a pass at that level because I think we can agree that having classes separate from jobs is a dumb and unintuitive holdover from 1.0 that isn't present in other MMOs, as far as I'm aware.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

I will not judge a BLM/THM at that level because from levels 20 to 50 THM/BLM rotations keep changing and every time you're level synced you have to figure out which lovely order is the one you can actually use.

Even if you just used Blizz I and Fire I you should be able to fake your way through a dungeon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

m.hache posted:

Even if you just used Blizz I and Fire I you should be able to fake your way through a dungeon.

Since I'm leveling one right now, just using blizzard I, fire I, lightning I and transpose will pull aggro from half the tanks in low level dungeons.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

bonewitch posted:

Healer kiting the adds is the standard strat for the first boss, and a DPS/tank can pretty much solo the chimera with good use of Second Wind/Bloodbath.

Yeah, I did a cutter's run once where everybody but the PLD tank was dead, and he managed to solo the remainder of the boss. He got my commendation naturally.

Chimera throws me when I get hit with the combo of having to kite the orb, and having to get close to the boss because he's casting Dragon's Voice. I feel like in that situation you have no choice but to draw the orb near the other players, because standing anywhere else will kill you. Is that just a thing that takes getting used to to learn how to handle it properly, or is it just something you can get unlucky with?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Since I'm leveling one right now, just using blizzard I, fire I, lightning I and transpose will pull aggro from half the tanks in low level dungeons.

Overpower would like a word with you.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I did a cutter's run once where everybody but the PLD tank was dead, and he managed to solo the remainder of the boss. He got my commendation naturally.

Chimera throws me when I get hit with the combo of having to kite the orb, and having to get close to the boss because he's casting Dragon's Voice. I feel like in that situation you have no choice but to draw the orb near the other players, because standing anywhere else will kill you. Is that just a thing that takes getting used to to learn how to handle it properly, or is it just something you can get unlucky with?

Just something you get unlucky with. Eating Dragon's Voice is far better than slapping Paralysis on your entire party. If you're fast and you time it well, you can draw the orb away and then duck in with Sprint or something similar to eat the Dragon's Voice, but it requires crackerjack timing.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Dragon's Voice has a max range too, it's slightly past max casting range so you can outrange it if you're kiting the ball.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Eej posted:

All I ever wanted in life... was to be average...

Stahl is my bro.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nuru posted:

Overpower would like a word with you.

As far as I can tell half the tanks in low level dungeons only hit their basic attack if even that. The other half are leveling their 7th job.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
SOON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0m8-wZEuH8

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

God, the start of that song = LOADING GAME PLEASE HOLD.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Leveling lancer for invigorate and B4B and my god it is boring. Does this ever get better than mindless 1-2-1-2?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

m.hache posted:

God, the start of that song = LOADING GAME PLEASE HOLD.

I thought we've been over this already

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Leveling lancer for invigorate and B4B and my god it is boring. Does this ever get better than mindless 1-2-1-2?

1-2? That's one too many buttons. Here's one weird tip from a Dragoon, tanks hate me:

It's the tip of your lance

IMPULSE DRIVE SPAM. JUST IMPULSE DRIVE. IT'S LITERALLY YOUR BEST ATTACK UNTIL YOU GET FULL THRUST

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Once you get to 40+, yes. They ended up backloading a huge amount of Dragoon's gameplay, similar to how Paladins get Spirits Within and Circle of Scorn in the span of five levels.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I ran into a thm earlier today in my lldr that just kept alternating between fire1 and blizz1. And this was near 30 too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vermain posted:

Once you get to 40+, yes. They ended up backloading a huge amount of Dragoon's gameplay, similar to how Paladins get Spirits Within and Circle of Scorn in the span of five levels.

I've got a 50 dragoon and it's almost kind of relaxing to go back to pre-level 26 dungeons and just spam impulse drive over and over again. Not that that's fun to do for hours on end, but it's a nice break from the juggling/daredevil act that is endgame dragooning. Even your main DPS buff wants to kill you.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

i hope this is the default music for chocobo races

and i hope this is the menu music before the chocobo races

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGIN2jkZVjE

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Not until you change to Dragoon and start getting your jumps, really. I main Dragoon and love it, and seem to do pretty well with it in non-Coil endgame content, but going back to early levels for level-synced content is painful. Pugilists, at least, have their different stances and such from the very beginning so there's something to think about.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blhue posted:

I ran into a thm earlier today in my lldr that just kept alternating between fire1 and blizz1. And this was near 30 too.

To be fair its not as if the class quests tell you exactly how to play the class and what your rotation is.

Oh wait!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

nuru posted:

On the other hand, some people just don't quite get it or look it up or anything. I had one in Turn 4 that was starting with Fire 1, using it until empty, transposing and then using Blizzard 1 until full, Transpose, etc. I mentioned that using F3/B3 to switch between the two was much better. "Oh okay thanks!" he said.

Fire 3 Fire 3 Fire 3 Transpose Blizzard 3 Blizzard 3 Transpose.

I didn't get a chance to correct him again..

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

hobbesmaster posted:

To be fair its not as if the class quests tell you exactly how to play the class and what your rotation is.

Oh wait!

Oh gently caress you they do NOT

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

There is no point where 1-2 is optimal.

Before you get full thrust, spamming Impulse Drive does more damage than True Thrust->Vorpal Thrust. :getin:

e: on the subject of people not doing their rotations, I loving love watching duty finder ninjas flail around in ninjutsu, because it's one of the few fuckups that's really obvious without paying intense attention to them.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rei_ posted:

They sorta do. You have to read the dialogue though.

I bet you that THM didn't do them and are missing some abilities as a result.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

Not until you change to Dragoon and start getting your jumps, really. I main Dragoon and love it, and seem to do pretty well with it in non-Coil endgame content, but going back to early levels for level-synced content is painful. Pugilists, at least, have their different stances and such from the very beginning so there's something to think about.

I have a bard and dragoon at 50 now and I can't decide which one I want to main. Dragoon stresses me out because it always feels like there's something I could be doing much, much better than I'm currently doing, whether it be using my jumps more often (I'm cautious now after getting myself killed too many times during animation lock), tightening up the rotation to get to the full thrust money shot at the end more frequently, using my cooldowns better, or whatever. I seem to be doing ok with it when I'm not killing myself with bad jumps, but there's always a nagging feeling that I'm screwing it up terribly somehow.

Then I switch to the bard and start to relax, but find myself wanting to go back to the dragoon again before too long. I'm hoping that with more dragoon practice I'll get a better feel for it and be more confident/useful, but it's good to have a backup.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rei_ posted:

The level 5 THM quest explicitly tells you your rotation is fire until out of mana, transpose, ice until your mana is back. I bet those 3 buttons would get you to 50.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have a bard and dragoon at 50 now and I can't decide which one I want to main. Dragoon stresses me out because it always feels like there's something I could be doing much, much better than I'm currently doing, whether it be using my jumps more often (I'm cautious now after getting myself killed too many times during animation lock), tightening up the rotation to get to the full thrust money shot at the end more frequently, using my cooldowns better, or whatever. I seem to be doing ok with it when I'm not killing myself with bad jumps, but there's always a nagging feeling that I'm screwing it up terribly somehow.

Then I switch to the bard and start to relax, but find myself wanting to go back to the dragoon again before too long. I'm hoping that with more dragoon practice I'll get a better feel for it and be more confident/useful, but it's good to have a backup.

It took me about 3 months of play before the drg rotation felt like second nature to me. Now I find it relaxing, but for a bit it feels pretty intense trying to figure out as you're still learning it.

As for jumps, just mash jump on CD and learn from your mistakes. Dying a few times to Jump is the tax every drg must pay in the process of learning a fight.

e: three months is an estimate, I'm not actually sure. I hit 50 around when 2.1 dropped, and had it down by the time 2.2 came. I'm not sure exactly how long it took in the meantime.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Worth noting that Dragoon is so much less stressful since it got buffed, since they lightened the positional requirements. Used to be that if the tank wiggled the boss even a bit you'd miss the hotspot and basically have to start your rotation over. Not to mention losing out on the back-combo's DOT (I can't remember the names of all those attacks so I just call them "combo" and "back combo" since I never use the moves individually) because you couldn't attack the rear of, say, Demon Wall.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

It took me about 3 months of play before the drg rotation felt like second nature to me. Now I find it relaxing, but for a bit it feels pretty intense trying to figure out as you're still learning it.

As for jumps, just mash jump on CD and learn from your mistakes. Dying a few times to Jump is the tax every drg must pay in the process of learning a fight.

Yeah, I'm sort of taking the opposite approach right now, of refusing to jump at all until I get a sense of when it would have been safe to do it. I guess your way is better for actually learning, but I don't want to make my healers mad :ohdear:

It just seems like right now, without fail, the moment I hit the jump button is the moment that an aoe circle appears under my feet. I think Titan HM scared the jump out of me.

(I also tend to drink when I play which is perhaps not great for the reflexes :ssh:)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
So was I just playing it wrong or was Triple Triad not actually a good game and people are just remembering it fondly because it was a cute thing in a game they're nostalgic for? Like, cards were just objectively better than other cards (which is fine when it simulates stat growth in a pve game, but doesn't really translate well to a pvp environment), and the game didn't lend itself to different strategies. You never really made terribly interesting decisions in each match either, the design just feels really dated. I'm not saying it shouldn't be in FFXIV because it's cool as hell that they're adding non-progression content, but the sheer amount of love the game gets here (and maybe other places, I haven't checked) makes me wonder if there was just something I was missing about the first game.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Dragoon stresses me out because it always feels like there's something I could be doing much, much better than I'm currently doing

Career DRG: All of your off-GCDs should always be down, Heavy Thrust should always be up, Disembowel should always be up, Phlebotomize should always be up, avoid clipping them by more than 2-3 seconds. That's like 90-95% of your maximum possible DPS. The rest (like optimal potion timing) is min-max stuff you don't need to worry about as much.

As long as you're always pressing a GCD and using your off-GCDs ASAP, you're good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

pksage posted:

Career DRG: All of your off-GCDs should always be down, Heavy Thrust should always be up, Disembowel should always be up, Phlebotomize should always be up, avoid clipping them by more than 2-3 seconds. That's like 90-95% of your maximum possible DPS. The rest (like optimal potion timing) is min-max stuff you don't need to worry about as much.

As long as you're always pressing a GCD and using your off-GCDs ASAP, you're good.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do. I think of full thrust as the money shot because it's the thing that you only get to once you're sure that none of your buffs, dots, or debuffs are going to wear off before starting the 1-2-3 combo leading into it. Once you pull it off though, with blood for blood and life surge tacked on as well, it's hella satisfying.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Countblanc posted:

So was I just playing it wrong or was Triple Triad not actually a good game and people are just remembering it fondly because it was a cute thing in a game they're nostalgic for? Like, cards were just objectively better than other cards (which is fine when it simulates stat growth in a pve game, but doesn't really translate well to a pvp environment), and the game didn't lend itself to different strategies. You never really made terribly interesting decisions in each match either, the design just feels really dated. I'm not saying it shouldn't be in FFXIV because it's cool as hell that they're adding non-progression content, but the sheer amount of love the game gets here (and maybe other places, I haven't checked) makes me wonder if there was just something I was missing about the first game.

It's fun and chill, Shuffle or Boogie is great and it's also not Tetra Master, which is to its benefit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Countblanc posted:

I feel that way too, I didn't really like it in 8. I'm assuming they're going to do something with it to make it so that new players don't get endlessly trounced by experienced ones who have spent 100 hours building an impenetrable deck, but the deck-building is mostly what I remember about the game from 8.

Honestly I'd prefer if they just added poker or blackjack or something. I'd play that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
The best part about FF8 Triple Triad was my own face being on the best card. :smug:

• Locked thread