Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
She was, but I feel like being a character you see almost every episode should put you above a character who just exists to fight you and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

...I'm pretty sure she was dueling another girl...

Also women have always been useless in Yugioh.

Counterpoint: Arc-V. Yuzu has shown nothing but skill once she got over herself and learned Fusion. Serena's being built up as an actual threat too. Masumi...is good, but being part of the LDS trio means that she'll likely never get to do anything cool anymore. At least her second duel with Yuzu was awesome.

Also counterpoint: Pre-trainwreck Aki. She was skilled, dangerous, and cool. And then Crow appeared and she was sidelined hard, but 5D's just had to do a motorbike jump over a shark.

Not a counterpoint: Asuka. GX tries really hard to tell us that she's good but...it doesn't work. Like, at all.

Apart from that you're absolutely right and I'm glad that Arc-V is trying to fix this.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm betting there'll be some sort of breakoff from LDS and any named character from there will decide to go somewhere else. The school in general is full of evil assholes anyway, the acting headmaster took three students and wiped their memories for god's sake.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm really hoping that the LDS trio is going to get upgraded later on and use the more recent Terminal World archetypes. Tellarknights for Hokuto, Yang Zing for Yaiba, and Shadolls for Masumi.

Seeing Masumi bust out an El-Shadoll Construct from out of nowhere would be the coolest drat thing. :swoon:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Justin_Brett posted:

She was, but I feel like being a character you see almost every episode should put you above a character who just exists to fight you and nothing else.

I 'unno, I like how she pretty much said "yeah, I lost, but I could've done this instead, now you understand friendship, right dog-person?" it's at least nice that she got to show off what she learned about friendship. That said, yeah it was sexist as poo poo and goes hand in hand with Gx and post-Divine Aki.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think you're forgetting about the original series which was just as bad. Tea was just a piece of rear end that followed Yugi around..

Then again, I'm still baffled at why half the original cast of YGO even exists. Duke and Tristan were worthless.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

I think you're forgetting about the original series which was just as bad. Tea was just a piece of rear end that followed Yugi around..

Then again, I'm still baffled at why half the original cast of YGO even exists. Duke and Tristan were worthless.

Yugi would've never won that duel against Pegasus if it weren't for the support of his friends, excuse you. :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Tea was important in the manga at the early and late stuff, when card games weren't there to ruin everything. :colbert:
Tristan figured out that they had to look for Atem's harem in the past. That didn't lead to anything but it was the smartest thing ever said in the franchise.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

It's not a Yu-Gi-Oh! series without a cast of useless characters.

That said, Yugi's group all have serious importance and cool moments in the manga before card games take over the plot, so that's something to keep in mind. Following series...don't get that excuse. At least Arc-V is very clearly trying to not fall into this, with even the children trio being duelists themselves of some skill. Tatsuya hasn't had a duel yet, but they're very clearly setting up for him to take on Reira next, and considering how much build up there is to that I doubt it'll get skipped like Futoshi vs Reira was.

Talking about that, you know who I really want to see in a duel? Shuzou. He was holding back against Yuya (something that was said on-screen) and the series has hinted pretty hard that he can use Fusion and Synchro (he doesn't teach Xyz because he's never done it, but he teaches Fusion and Synchro, which means he has done both). Plus we know he's skilled from Yoko's comments (that he could easily be a tournament player if he didn't care more for teaching). It'd be cool to see him BURN! HOTBLOODED!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

Talking about that, you know who I really want to see in a duel? Shuzou. He was holding back against Yuya (something that was said on-screen) and the series has hinted pretty hard that he can use Fusion and Synchro (he doesn't teach Xyz because he's never done it, but he teaches Fusion and Synchro, which means he has done both). Plus we know he's skilled from Yoko's comments (that he could easily be a tournament player if he didn't care more for teaching). It'd be cool to see him BURN! HOTBLOODED!

He runs a Fire King deck in Tag Force, and his Garunix is the bane of my existence.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Tea was important in the manga at the early and late stuff, when card games weren't there to ruin everything. :colbert:
Tristan figured out that they had to look for Atem's harem in the past. That didn't lead to anything but it was the smartest thing ever said in the franchise.

I would love to point at Rebecca, but they have her job every duel she's in except the one against the Chinese Battle Queen from Kaiba's filler tournament. (It was a pretty neat duel. And she would've nailed Valon, too, if he wasn't playing BrokenBadass.dec)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Rebecca probably deserves some kind of mention as being a better love interest than the actual one by virtue of actually getting annoyed when the main character's soul is stolen. Not that that is particularly hard when Tea set the bar so low, but you know.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BlitzBlast posted:

Rebecca probably deserves some kind of mention as being a better love interest than the actual one by virtue of actually getting annoyed when the main character's soul is stolen. Not that that is particularly hard when Tea set the bar so low, but you know.

Also for loving Yugi where Anzu is clearly more enamored by Atem

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

In the manga Tea just assumes Atem is Yugi having split personality issues but that 'Atem' simply boils down how Yugi would be if he had more self-esteem, which makes him the full sweet and cool package. Then it's confirmed he's this ghost and she's worried about how Yugi will react when Atem leaves and just treats Atem like a buddy.

I feel even nerdier than usual writing this stuff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's not a Yu-Gi-Oh! series without a cast of useless characters.

That said, Yugi's group all have serious importance and cool moments in the manga before card games take over the plot, so that's something to keep in mind. Following series...don't get that excuse. At least Arc-V is very clearly trying to not fall into this, with even the children trio being duelists themselves of some skill. Tatsuya hasn't had a duel yet, but they're very clearly setting up for him to take on Reira next, and considering how much build up there is to that I doubt it'll get skipped like Futoshi vs Reira was.

I really hope Shuzou gets another duel as well, maybe against Leo or something because he's cool and rad. Also, did I just imagine it or did Yoko get some foreshadowing as being a duelist as well? I swear that at the end of one of Yuya's duels (against Shuzou maybe?) she says something about how she doesn't need to step in yet. It'd be cool if she got to duel as well.

I like pretty much all of Arc V's characters and I want them all to be involved in stuff, even though that'd probably make the show too bloated and is never going to happen.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Blaze Dragon posted:

I find it really weird we didn't even see the two duels he supposedly had to get this far in the tournament. He was the focus of like, the third episode or something, and we haven't ever seen him do anything. Until they mentioned it like a few eps ago, I just assumed he wasn't actually in the tournament.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Welp. RIP, Knight Duelists you were assholes in your one appearance and I appreciate that. Also RIP Obelisk Force you are going to be sacrificial lambs to show the power of possessed Yuya. And Dennis continues to be the most suspicious person in existence, that music in his confrontation with Yuzu and his magician's evil laugh don't make him out to be an upstanding individual. Oh, and no crazy faces with Sora's return? What the gently caress.

Dennis vs Serena is the first time in a long while that I think the outcome of a duel is in so much doubt. Dennis is pretty clearly being built up to be Yuya's opponent in one of the future rounds but this is Serena's first duel and she's also been built up as a big deal, so who knows how this will go down. I guess if it doesn't get interrupted Dennis will win since if he loses he'll get carded and I doubt that's going to happen.

Also, does anyone remember if the battle royale goes to the quarter finals or the semi's? Because if it's the semi's one of Yuzu or Gongenzaka will probably get defeated soon. :(

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Apparently this is something 4Kids themselves made. They truly understood the essence of Yugioh.

Also I just remembered Yami Marik's best quote ever.

In my own ZEXAL watch news, I like the second dub OP a lot. More importantly though, I like that the evil minion's best idea for taking down Yuma is to brainwash various members of the student and teacher body. "Surely one of them will win eventually!"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Just watched the first episode of Arc-V and Yuya in 1 episode has made himself infinitely more likable than that piece of poo poo Yuma did in 50

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

alcharagia posted:

Just watched the first episode of Arc-V and Yuya in 1 episode has made himself infinitely more likable than that piece of poo poo Yuma did in 50

Yeah. Yuya is a pretty sweet lead, and even given that, he's still not even close to being the most interesting character in the show.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
For the people that have watched all 5, which lead character was the best, in your opinion?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

For the people that have watched all 5, which lead character was the best, in your opinion?

I watched the first episode of Zexal, does that count?

Anyway, I like Yuya a lot but that might just be because i'm currently watching Arc V and it's great. It would've been Yusei but season 3 happened and he stopped being interesting and fun.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Probably Yusei because he wasn't just some random kid who happened to be good at everything, he was an adult who had a reasonable explanation for his skills in technology and stuff. Also, he went all street fighter on some punk guard's rear end in season 1.

I really don't think seasons 3-5 of 5Ds were terrible? They were nowhere near as tightly plotted or interesting as the first 2 seasons, but still way better than the last half of GX and all of ZeXal (except arguably 3 episodes from the end of season 4, those were pretty good).

WRT the latest Arc-V: Yuya being fused with Yuto is pretty much confirmed, Dennis is still suspicious, Youko (Yuya's mom) still a boss.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Silento posted:

Probably Yusei because he wasn't just some random kid who happened to be good at everything, he was an adult who had a reasonable explanation for his skills in technology and stuff. Also, he went all street fighter on some punk guard's rear end in season 1.

I really don't think seasons 3-5 of 5Ds were terrible? They were nowhere near as tightly plotted or interesting as the first 2 seasons, but still way better than the last half of GX and all of ZeXal (except arguably 3 episodes from the end of season 4, those were pretty good).

WRT the latest Arc-V: Yuya being fused with Yuto is pretty much confirmed, Dennis is still suspicious, Youko (Yuya's mom) still a boss.

I don't think they're going for full on Yuto exists as a seperate persona ala Atem/Yubel/Astral just more his raw feelings and personality superposed over Yuya's. At least I hope not because two distinct people-one body has been done three times already

But Dennis vs Yuzu was terribly quick, three turns? Bah. Just when Yuzu got a win she gets slammed back down.
And why'd they have to reverse her best moment? Divingu catchi was genuinely cool moment.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I was talking to a friend about the Battle City arc and he called the Thief King within Bakura 'Akefia'. Is that his official name or just a random nickname that stuck?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I don't think they're going for full on Yuto exists as a seperate persona ala Atem/Yubel/Astral just more his raw feelings and personality superposed over Yuya's. At least I hope not because two distinct people-one body has been done three times already

But Dennis vs Yuzu was terribly quick, three turns? Bah. Just when Yuzu got a win she gets slammed back down.
And why'd they have to reverse her best moment? Divingu catchi was genuinely cool moment.

Three turns is about the length of most one episode Arc V duels right? I think Yuya vs Isao went that long and the two tag teams last episode followed that same formula, Arc V is just rushing through the battle royale fights right now. It doesn't make me look forward to Serena vs Dennis though because it's either going to get interrupted or one of them will end up losing in just a few turns despite having both gotten a fair amount of buildup.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's even more bullshit when you consider She shouldn't have lost the duel, since Trapeze Magician'a effect should have protected her.

I am curious about Dennis' role in the story. He seemed like a prettt okay guy... but that scene where he looms over Yuzu seemed to suggest otherwise. I am going to side with Yuzu's father on this one.

I am also very curious about Serena's deck: we only saw some sort of catgirl monster in her Academia flashback.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's even more bullshit when you consider She shouldn't have lost the duel, since Trapeze Magician'a effect should have protected her.

The spell card Dennis used swapped their monsters with the effect of the monster he traded over negated, so unless you're saying someone goofed in the subtitles, not really.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wow, Yugi is kind of an rear end in a top hat

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'd rank them up like this

Yugi>Yuya>Yuma>Jaden>Yusei
Though Yusei from the first 26 episodes outranks Yuya.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^No one can outrank the original king of games.

I just watched the Megumi/Yuzu rematch. That was a fun duel to watch.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jaden is #1.
All others are #2 or lower.

Seriously though, I never watched Yugioh for its protagonists. YGO is best for the villains or rivals. Side characters can be good too but main protagonists never do it for me. That is a common criticism from me in most shounen really. Naruto, Ichigo, Luffy, Goku - they were all the worst parts of their series and the same is true for Yugi and Yusei and Yuma. Well perhaps "the worst part" is an exaggeration but I still never particularly liked them.

Jaden is kinda the odd man out in a lot of ways. His hair is actually vaguely normal, his name doesn't start with "Yu"... I wonder why they started going with the "Yu" names later on. Was Judai a huge flop in Japan or something?

Of course I don't really hate Yuma or Yusei or Yugi, they just don't interest me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

NikkolasKing posted:

Jaden is #1.
All others are #2 or lower.

Seriously though, I never watched Yugioh for its protagonists. YGO is best for the villains or rivals. Side characters can be good too but main protagonists never do it for me. That is a common criticism from me in most shounen really. Naruto, Ichigo, Luffy, Goku - they were all the worst parts of their series and the same is true for Yugi and Yusei and Yuma. Well perhaps "the worst part" is an exaggeration but I still never particularly liked them.

Jaden is kinda the odd man out in a lot of ways. His hair is actually vaguely normal, his name doesn't start with "Yu"... I wonder why they started going with the "Yu" names later on. Was Judai a huge flop in Japan or something?

Of course I don't really hate Yuma or Yusei or Yugi, they just don't interest me.

Luffy isn't even close to being the worst part.
Right now Sanji is :colbert:

Oh and Judai/Jaden Yuki.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There is a chance they're trying to get the audience to think Dennis is shady as all hell (and I'll guarantee you, he has some secrets like everyone in this show), but I think they're just writing him as an American playboy. This is a Japanese show after all. And they have some pretty strong stereotypes for pretty boy Hollywood types. And, I'm seconding the concern over Dennis stepping in to take on Serena. The only way this can go without completely emasculating Yuzu is either to have the duel get interrupted right as Dennis is about to lose, or to have him lose, only for Yuzu to step in and save his rear end before he gets carded.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Yuya's mom has her priorities straight. Show me more cute boys indeed. =O

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

In terms of deckbuilding, it would probably be Yusei. His deck has debuted more relevant and important cards that anyone else's, I think. Stardust Dragon is the by far the best of the protagonist ace monsters, too (even though it's finally been power-creeped by a handful of other things).

Jaden's my favorite though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yuya is the best but he should have A.) Kept the clown motif, and B.) Stuck with just Entermates, instead of having a dumb lame dragon.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I would be okay with Odd-Eyes if it's design wasn't so awful.

Rune-Eyes is pretty okay though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno, I like Odd-Eyes' look. It's goofy, but I think it adds a lot of charm to it and gives it more character than most other main monsters of the other main characters. I think my favorite protagonist is honestly Yuya, it was Yusei for a while, but I never cared that much about protagonists in Yugioh because they usually are never as fun as their rivals/best friends or even the villains. Yugi's biggest moment of character is when he relentlessly attacks Weevil, Jaden is enjoyable for being a dumb goof for two seasons, but that's literally all there is to him and it gets annoying pretty quickly, Yusei is the closest to being the best because he has something resembling a third dimension for a while and then the rest of 5Ds happens, and gently caress Yuma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Beef Waifu posted:

and gently caress Yuma.

Finish the Zexal Beer Waifu, the it'll all be over.