Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Well, time to put my plus account to good use. Demo looks fantastic. God this is going to be such a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Any advice on beating Jo in Yakuza 5? I've done everything else of value, but round 4 of that stumps me each time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One thing I noticed in the Zero demo is that the boss of Dojima, Daigo's father, doesn't appear at all. People talk about him, but he'a always absent. I think back to 1, where the only thing he did was die for a very ignominious reason. Then afterwards, his character description was like "he's a smart, powerful guy who is definitely worthy of being a high officer for the Tojo group, really!" Also, as reverently as people talk about Kazama, he's still Dojima's underling for unclear reasons.

I wonder if this bizarre gap between how people talk about him and how he behaves will continue in Zero? Dojima has been a bizarre mystery for me for the whole ten years I have been playing this game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 21, 2015

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Just finished chapter 3 in Y4 and wow, the devs must've really loved Infernal Affairs.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Just finished story mode in Yakuza 4, my question is: why is Kiryu such an rear end in a top hat to Haruka? I take her out to eat ice cream and Kiryu only buys ice cream for himself while Haruka watches, I go to Sega Club and Kiryu plays games all by himself while Haruka watches silently...

What a lovely uncle

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Man, five gigs for a demo. Off Sony's slowass servers.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

El Hefe posted:

What a lovely uncle
If Haruka doesn't ask for stuff she doesn't get poo poo.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm about to play my first Yakuza game now that 4 is free, any advice? It's nor done downloading yet but I'm not sure what this game is yet- shenmue?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Actually Haruka's the one taking Kiryu out.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

El Hefe posted:

What a lovely uncle
Screw you. I did that stupid homerun thing so you would be happy. You better appreciate it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

echronorian posted:

I'm about to play my first Yakuza game now that 4 is free, any advice? It's nor done downloading yet but I'm not sure what this game is yet- shenmue?

What Shenmue should have been.

You don't really need to know anything to start playing but there are videos recapping the first three games included if you want

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So recently I got into this franchise recently and I've made it to Yakuza 3 and i think I've made a big mistake. I decided to play through the game on hard mode but because on that difficulty everyone blocks all the time fights become dragged out and boring. I'm thinking of starting over but I'm 12 hours in and I don't know if I can do the beginning again. Should I keep going or should I restart? Also does Yakuza 4 have the same enemy behaviour on hard mode?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lucinice posted:

So recently I got into this franchise recently and I've made it to Yakuza 3 and i think I've made a big mistake. I decided to play through the game on hard mode but because on that difficulty everyone blocks all the time fights become dragged out and boring. I'm thinking of starting over but I'm 12 hours in and I don't know if I can do the beginning again. Should I keep going or should I restart? Also does Yakuza 4 have the same enemy behaviour on hard mode?

That's the reason why I never played these games on hard. Aside from the fights themselves I've always enjoyed the story in Yakuza. It's not going to win awards or anything but it's good enough that I want to know what happens next and stuff like that.

Hard mode just adds another dumb barrier I don't want to deal with.

I wouldn't start over though. Some people would just say hard mode puts hair on your chest.

Men of burning passion. Believe in yourself etc etc.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
If you die too many times it asks you if you want to change difficulties, IIRC. Also I thought you could go into the options menu and change it whenever.

Anyway I never played on hard but usually if you're doing a lot of the sidequests or whatever you get to be so strong that the fights are all a joke.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

You're telling me this isn't a revelation opportunity?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I've beaten the game on EX-Hard, where if you die you go straight to the main menu, no continues. Of course, I only ever even tried it after I unlocked the infinite ammo pistol and just gunned my way through the entire game.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Since the free Japan PSN trial had Akiba's Trip on there I tried it out and it seems vaguely similar to, but not as good as, a Yakuza game. I mean obviously the story is nothing alike but gameplay-wise.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Think more a Way of the Samurai game.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

If you die too many times it asks you if you want to change difficulties, IIRC. Also I thought you could go into the options menu and change it whenever.

Anyway I never played on hard but usually if you're doing a lot of the sidequests or whatever you get to be so strong that the fights are all a joke.

There no difficulty select from the option menu.

Does it at least get easier to break blocks? All the blocking the enemies are doing on hard difficulty is what's lowering my enjoyment.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Lucinice posted:

There no difficulty select from the option menu.

Does it at least get easier to break blocks? All the blocking the enemies are doing on hard difficulty is what's lowering my enjoyment.

Why don't you just grab them then? Or use weapons?

Anyway, eventually you're basically a tank using heat actions every 10 seconds so it's really not challenging at all. At least on normal.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some good news for those that don't have and couldn't get a Japanese PS+ sub:
The Twitter account for PlayStation Store in Japan says they screwed up on the date when the PS+ exclusivity ends. It will end this Monday, not Tuesday.

That means that instead of this Wednesday in Japan, it will be available to everyone this Tuesday, which would be around Monday night in North America. That is less than 24 hours from now. :hellyeah:

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 24, 2015

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Why don't you just grab them then? Or use weapons?

Anyway, eventually you're basically a tank using heat actions every 10 seconds so it's really not challenging at all. At least on normal.

Yeah true, al right I'll just keep going with Yakuza 3 and then maybe play 4 on normal.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The final set of battles of Kiryu's chapter in Yak4 can eat so much dick. Not hard, just an unfunny chain of stunlocking rear end in a top hat encounters where the dickhead with a one-handed melee weapon is more lethal than a guy with a shotgun and also harder to grapple with than anybody else. They improved so much in encounter design between Yak4 and Ishin.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

MrLonghair posted:

The final set of battles of Kiryu's chapter in Yak4 can eat so much dick. Not hard, just an unfunny chain of stunlocking rear end in a top hat encounters where the dickhead with a one-handed melee weapon is more lethal than a guy with a shotgun and also harder to grapple with than anybody else. They improved so much in encounter design between Yak4 and Ishin.

Kiryu is a goddamn murder machine I don't know why you had trouble with any of his fights unless you were underleveled.

The Essence of Terror move I think it's the one that allows you to wipe about 5 full health enemies in a single heat move.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Yeah I am really surprised at all of the people reporting combat issues with Y4 :confused: - I really didn't have trouble until I did the Amon fight and did the final bosses the wrong way very stubbornly.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
The only time I had a real problem with combat was in Yakuza Dead Souls and that was mainly doing the sewer missions until I reached Amon. I died to his laser despite knowing it was coming forcing me to do the sewer levels all over again.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I had a hard time with the first Kurohyo game because I skipped past the instructions explaining that you have to put money into skills to actually get stronger and by like the halfway point it was quite difficult to beat the bosses with the same level of strength you start the game with.

Of course then I looked it up and it was easy from there on out.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The trouble is with stunlocking and plain old bullshit idiotic enemies that normally would have been qualitytested out of existence, or is that behaviour of the AI increased massively for hardest? The game is very happy to let even trash cans have more health than chapter bosses. It's about psychological endurance difficulty.

Sword? Big club? Shotgun? Fists? Sumo? Uzi? Tons of those at the same time? Piece of freaking cake. Baton? It's like that turns that NPC into a level 99 dickbeast from the thirteenth circle of bad design hell. Uninterruptable unblockable.

Kiryu turned 15 just before the end of that chapter.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Update: Yakuza 0 demos are now available for everyone in the Japanese store, but with different links:

PS4 version
PS3 version

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Neat article I found while waiting for the PS4 demo to download: Sega wanted to make a console with Sony but Sega Japan execs thought that would be dumb.

There's an alternate universe out there where Yakuza became a first party PlayStation exclusive series that Sony-Sega promotes worldwide, rather than being chained to a sinking company trying to shift towards mobile games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Neat article I found while waiting for the PS4 demo to download: Sega wanted to make a console with Sony but Sega Japan execs thought that would be dumb.

There's an alternate universe out there where Yakuza became a first party PlayStation exclusive series that Sony-Sega promotes worldwide, rather than being chained to a sinking company trying to shift towards mobile games.
I dunno why collaborating to make a console would have been any smarter a decision for them than how things turned out. It wouldn't have prevented the shift towards mobile games any more than anything else in the console world, I think.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno why collaborating to make a console would have been any smarter a decision for them than how things turned out. It wouldn't have prevented the shift towards mobile games any more than anything else in the console world, I think.

No but it would probably have increased the quality of Sonic games instead of being fed warmed dog poo poo all the time and would probably have prevented the Colonial Marines disaster. People getting sick of Sega pushing out poo poo for Sonic games and giving Gearbox so much money to fund Colonial Marines, thinking it will be a Call of Duty killer while they continuously ignore their other franchises that are actually excellent but choose not to localize for whatever boneheaded reason are why they're in the red financially.

So sure, the industry might be pushed towards mobile games regardless but Sega wouldn't only be working on mobile and PC games and nothing else at the moment if they weren't so goddamn stupid.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wait, what would be the connection between Sega having a stake in the hardware business, and good Sonic games?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, what would be the connection between Sega having a stake in the hardware business, and good Sonic games?

Absolutely zero connection, if you consider Sonic Adventure 1/2.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sonic would still be doomed, but a lot of Sega's great Dreamcast franchises would probably have taken off harder if they'd been available to the far-larger install base of Playstation users (and Sony would no doubt have marketed them heavily).

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just mean in general, they've made boneheaded decisions after boneheaded decisions and Sega turning down a partnership with Sony is just another of many examples of that. A Sega-Sony console would have let Sega have a slice of the profits from things like Uncharted and I can bet we wouldn't be pleading for localizations of the Yakuza games.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There's gotta be some lingering executives in the company that are the source of every bad idea, from the Saturn Launch to letting go of Hyper-dimension Neptuna, because they believe they're in some sort of Brewster's Millions situation.

"If we kill off SEGA, than uncle Pachinko will give us all the money we'll ever want!"

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Sega decided about halfway through the lifespan of the Dreamcast to get out of hardware forever.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wow, that demo sure takes its sweet time getting you to the open world part. I'm used to the Japanese language demos being little sandboxes bookended by cutscenes but this was straight up the beginning of the game for about an hour. Some of this stuff they tried with the story presentation could be fun, the walk-and-talk segment with Nishiki felt like Team Yakuza taking a page out of GTA5's book but I'm not sure how I like those Poser-quality "manga" cutscenes. This demo's plot just goes on and on and on though, it's kind of exhausting when you don't know the language. I'm impressed that they went all out and let you explore all of Kamuro-cho. I'm also shocked it took 45 minutes of gameplay to get to the point where the game unblocks Share content.

Kiryu having 3 different modes of fighting is pretty weird, I don't know what they all do yet aside from (I'm guessing) Blue = MMA, Red = Pure Striker, Yellow = Grappler/Sumo Guy. That Ishin sphere grid is kind of confusing but it's more fun to fill than the usual level up that the games had before, and I'm loving the idea of having multiple HEAT bars that you can stock and expend to nuke entire fights.

Is there any way to skip the entire story railroading and get straight to the open world of the demo from the main menu? I'd play this demo again if I didn't have to sit through all the scenes and do the tutorial with Nishiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Budgie
Sep 11, 2011

So they really want you to buy the PS4 version because the pop up and LODs are crazy in the PS3 demo. Pedestrians turn into blobs unless they're standing next to you and I don't remember it being this bad in the other games.

It kinda sucked that all the new playspots were locked in the demo but at least we got Kiryu rocking it at the Karaoke bar.

• Locked thread