Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was at a party the other day and someone there said in hushed tones 'I'm a republican' and started talking about fracking actually, according to many studies, not being anywhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. The party host is libertarian I think, so he was nodding furiously and saying stuff like "basically it's like opening a piggy bank any time we drill for oil, boosts the economy etc" and this republican dude was going on non stop about fracking and blah blah blah and later I found out he's leaving for *some other state* like a day later, to work on Scott Walker's campaign. So I hope Scott Walker loses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

mooyashi posted:

someone please post the Ned Flanders Romney gif

Feels like I'm being elected to nothing at all nothing at all nothing at all

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

:wow:

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

Intel&Sebastian posted:

:golfclap:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SedanChair posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > 2016 Presidential Primary: Advocating Gigadeath

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Beautiful.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:lol: if you don't seriously vote Republican and hunt bald-eagles.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

:lol: if you don't seriously hunt Republicans and vote bald-eagle.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Nonsense posted:

:lol: if you vote

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yup

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

:stonklol:

good luck with your base...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
King Obama looks pretty sad that he's stuck with a stock image throne that was also used on the cover art of a Krept and Konan mixtape.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Rand Paul should be more careful asking the kind of people who follow Rand Paul on twitter to contemplate whether or not they agree with Obama that Obama isn't a king. Probably caused at least 6 domestics.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nth Doctor posted:

I think this branding thing is an important discussion to have, after all: Romney ripped off Aquafresh accidentally. You try selling toothpaste associated with the stink of failure.

Its not about branding of the individual.

Its about branding of the party. Hillary only knows how to brandy about the party, not sell herself as the torchbearer of the party's vision.

Mainly because Hillary has no vision apart from polls. She's Kerry with a more promiscuous outgoing husband.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

redreader posted:

...he's leaving for *some other state* like a day later, to work on Scott Walker's campaign. So I hope Scott Walker loses.

I'm super pumped about Scott Walker trying to run for president. That's like the first entertaining thing that has happened this primary season. The GOP has been good about putting up a united front so far concerning him being 34 credits short of a bachelors degree, but when the summer starts to get hot the "totally uncoordinated we swear" PAC's of other primary candidates are going to start pulling out the long knives on him over it. The GOP had circled the wagons around Romney's business history for a while, and then suddenly you had Gingrich cribbing Dem talking points when he got desperate enough.

Also, "a few semesters short of a BA" sounds like one of those jokey, "not the brightest crayon in the box" or "a few tools short of a toolbox" euphemisms people use to say someone is stupid. I chuckle every time I hear it.

He could make it go away if he were a skilled enough politician, but I don't think he's that skilled. He would have to build his entire campaign around "not being one of those ivory tower eggheads," but I don't think he has the courage to do that.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yes, when I think Hilary Clinton, I think flat, boring, meek, and lacking charisma.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The latest bits out of Scott Walkers campaign make it look like he's trying a Palin-esque "The media and liberals hate me! So you love me!" tack. I'm also very very happy he's running and his inevitable implosion will be really fun. Even better if it's in the general somehow.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

ErIog posted:

I'm super pumped about Scott Walker trying to run for president. That's like the first entertaining thing that has happened this primary season. The GOP has been good about putting up a united front so far concerning him being 34 credits short of a bachelors degree, but when the summer starts to get hot the "totally uncoordinated we swear" PAC's of other primary candidates are going to start pulling out the long knives on him over it. The GOP had circled the wagons around Romney's business history for a while, and then suddenly you had Gingrich cribbing Dem talking points when he got desperate enough.

Also, "a few semesters short of a BA" sounds like one of those jokey, "not the brightest crayon in the box" or "a few tools short of a toolbox" euphemisms people use to say someone is stupid. I chuckle every time I hear it.

He could make it go away if he were a skilled enough politician, but I don't think he's that skilled. He would have to build his entire campaign around "not being one of those ivory tower eggheads," but I don't think he has the courage to do that.

34 credits is a year if everything goes well. I used to do some advising and I had more than one student come talk to me expecting to graduate the next semester because they had enough credits; only they didn't have any upper division credits. That was always a fun moment when I realized they had 200 100 credits but hadn't ever actually taken a real class.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 24, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pohl posted:

34 credits is a year if everything goes well. I used to do some advising and I had more than one student come talk to me expecting to graduate the next semester because they had enough credits; only they didn't have any upper division credits. That was always a fun moment when I realized they had 200 credits but hadn't ever actually taken a real class.

How do you do this? Did they take classes from a bunch of different departments, because I can't imagine outside of the 60 or so credits allotted to electives and core that you'd be able to find another 100-140 credits of <2000 level credits in your own department.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Montana may move its Presidential primary to August, which would somewhat reduce its effect on nominee selection.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

420DD Butts posted:

How do you do this? Did they take classes from a bunch of different departments, because I can't imagine outside of the 60 or so credits allotted to electives and core that you'd be able to find another 100-140 credits of <2000 level credits in your own department.

Crap, no I doubled that. It should read 100.
But yes, they were just taking the easy classes out of every Department. They had no idea that they actually had to commit to a goal and work a regimented classload. When I said it was fun I meant it was horrifying.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Hahahaha, do you have a link to these polls?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its not about branding of the individual.

Its about branding of the party. Hillary only knows how to brandy about the party, not sell herself as the torchbearer of the party's vision.

Mainly because Hillary has no vision apart from polls. She's Kerry with a more promiscuous outgoing husband.

I don't think she has to sell herself as a great visionary. The case for Hillary is simple. She is the most experienced and talented statesman in the rosters of either party with even an ounce of charisma. She's been in politics a long long time and even if you don't like her, you know she wouldn't gently caress things up too badly. The Republicans have always hated her, but I think there's maybe a little bit more this cycle because they wish to death that they had a true frontrunner like her for themselves. Instead the idiot games begin again. Time to watch Rick Santorum fend off questions about his last name and Donald Trump to grandstand for a little bit before cashing out.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
I'll like to see the wording on the climate question. Do they actually claim to believe its not happening at all? I thought the deniers had given up that hill and are holding out on the "Its happening but...." hill

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pohl posted:

Crap, no I doubled that. It should read 100.
But yes, they were just taking the easy classes out of every Department. They had no idea that they actually had to commit to a goal and work a regimented classload. When I said it was fun I meant it was horrifying.

It amazes me that anyone over 20 could be this dumb.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

420DD Butts posted:

Does it really?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Pohl posted:

34 credits is a year if everything goes well. I used to do some advising and I had more than one student come talk to me expecting to graduate the next semester because they had enough credits; only they didn't have any upper division credits. That was always a fun moment when I realized they had 200 100 credits but hadn't ever actually taken a real class.

Yeah, that's why I used the exact number of credits. Even left-leaning media was buying into the right-wing characterization that he was "a semester away" and not looking at the numbers. As you said, that's a year if everything goes perfectly, and all those classes aren't too hard. That's probably 3 semesters in real life, though, considering that university courses start to require more time investment as you work your way into the higher level classes in your major. So the credits he actually does have are probably mostly core requirements, pre-reqs for major courses, or 100-level major courses.

So yeah, in his own head he's probably like, "yeah, just 2 semesters" and then that gets exaggerated to "1 semester" when he talks about it while the reality is actually closer to triple that.

420DD Butts posted:

You should go read the grad student thread in SAL. They have such sights to show you.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 24, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Habibi posted:

Does it really?

I'd at least expect students to gain that knowledge through osmosis. If you talk to anyone in your own department graduation and upper division credit is bound to come up.

You'd have to be the most oblivious person alive.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

420DD Butts posted:

I'd at least expect students to gain that knowledge through osmosis. If you talk to anyone in your own department graduation and upper division credit is bound to come up.

You should have seen the complete loving despair on their faces when I pulled out a worksheet or catalog. I felt like the most awful person in the world at those moments.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

420DD Butts posted:

You're assuming they have "a department." A lot of places I think don't force you to declare a major and let people take 100-level courses in drat near anything as elective credits. So I have no doubt there are people who meet with an advisor once before their first semester, learn you need X number of credits to graduate, say "peace out", and basically fill their schedule with electives for 4 semesters before they realize what they've done.

My uni had a nice tool where you could run a report through their website, and basically get a report back telling you which classes you needed in which major to graduate. It probably doesn't help in the above situation, though, because I bet a lot of those people are like, "I got this poo poo on lock, <signs up for a 3rd fitness walking course>"

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 24, 2015

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Nessus posted:

Yeah, as best as I can tell the argument there is "this incremental improvement in one area has little chance of directly helping another area, soon." I am not sure what the proposed remedy is, or if it's just meant to discourage bothering with the first place.

Well, I've been talking about what I think is realistic change for the nation in here for a long time. Not my fault that you read me saying "what happens in Seattle means little in Mississippi where the most hopeless people are" and think I'm advocating doing nothing. I'm for the most realistic moves to protect the poor at the highest functional level. To do that at the highest functional level, you have to do more than make blue places deeper blue. Especially as the red places get deeper red.

No functional majority exists made up solely of blue districts. The best answer I can give you is a national party built around a lowest common denominator acceptable across geography and cultures.

Sorta like the functional majority of moderates and liberals, ranging from the Progressive Caucus to some actual Blue Dogs that did vote for it, that gave us that Obamacare thing.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Skeesix posted:

I don't think she has to sell herself as a great visionary. The case for Hillary is simple. She is the most experienced and talented statesman in the rosters of either party with even an ounce of charisma. She's been in politics a long long time and even if you don't like her, you know she wouldn't gently caress things up too badly. The Republicans have always hated her, but I think there's maybe a little bit more this cycle because they wish to death that they had a true frontrunner like her for themselves. Instead the idiot games begin again. Time to watch Rick Santorum fend off questions about his last name and Donald Trump to grandstand for a little bit before cashing out.

I think you're ignoring some things and hoping that the other side makes a mistake. Well, they learned from 2012 and we saw what happened in 2014: You can't rely upon the other side to put up a worse candidate if you want to win.

Jeb is the Republican frontrunner. Everything else is jockying to become his number 2 or senior position in his administration. Republicans defer to frontrunners; someone who is a one-term Senator don't got the clout to win a Republican presidential primary. Now, a senior governor from a large swing-state with a dynastic name that carries a whole lot of weight and near-unified alphabet agency support? That's an inevitability.

Hillary? She's selling herself as a front-runner, when that's the only thing she can sell. She doesn't represent Democratic values, she has the value that she's paid enough dues to have earned the nomination. Its that attitude that keeps the base home and everyone knows it. Whereas Republicans defer to authority, Democrats empower authority. What that means is that respect is earned through action, rather title; it doesn't matter who you are, anyone can run for President in the Democratic party, even a black one-term senator named Barack Husain. And let me tell you, despite the rhetoric, Hillary is no Husain. Never was, never will be, never can be. Hillary is Hilldawg, she's her own brand in an age when elections in America are more parliamentary and about party branding than they are about qualified individual brands waiting for the post they really really really want.

What I want you to do is look at Hillary's record as Secretary of State, and tell me, what her most memorable moments were. Bin Laden? Bitch be dead two cycles ago, corpse be dead and cold fish poop on the bottom of the indian ocean these days.

So I ask you, what successes has Hillary had during her time as SoS? The Russian reset? A bad deal with Iran which emboldens Iranian terrorism and unites dc institutions against it?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Montana may move its Presidential primary to August, which would somewhat reduce its effect on nominee selection.

Why even bother at that point? That's after the convention. Unless they mean to have one in August of this year.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

gently caress y'all mad at me for?
Y'all don't even know what I been through

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

De Nomolos posted:

Well, I've been talking about what I think is realistic change for the nation in here for a long time. Not my fault that you read me saying "what happens in Seattle means little in Mississippi where the most hopeless people are" and think I'm advocating doing nothing. I'm for the most realistic moves to protect the poor at the highest functional level. To do that at the highest functional level, you have to do more than make blue places deeper blue. Especially as the red places get deeper red.

No functional majority exists made up solely of blue districts. The best answer I can give you is a national party built around a lowest common denominator acceptable across geography and cultures.

Sorta like the functional majority of moderates and liberals, ranging from the Progressive Caucus to some actual Blue Dogs that did vote for it, that gave us that Obamacare thing.
That's quite reasonable really, I may have conflated you with the ambient despair cloud :v:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today is Jeb Bush's 41st wedding anniversary, so he shared his wedding photo. He only has one photo of his wedding and this is it.

His wedding photographer accidentally reused a roll he'd already used at a Frank Zappa concert, but Barbara Bush took this one picture with her Kodak.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Joementum posted:

His wedding photographer accidentally reused a roll he'd already used at a Frank Zappa concert, but Barbara Bush took this one picture with her Kodak.

lmao

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That's a friendly way of not talking about Jeb's wedding being the 'Frank Zappa concert'

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Joementum posted:

Wedding photographer was probably more pissed than they were that he ruined his sweet stills from the Zappa concert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
also Jeb is like 6 feet tall and his wife is 4

or is she a midget or what

• Locked thread