Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

DNova posted:

10 euro for a kebab? In Amsterdam? Last I was there was ... gently caress me, like 7 years ago... but no way...

PS - Are you living in/near Amsterdam and willing to do me a sexy favor?

Nah, for a plate dish (with salad and fries or something) at a kebab place including a drink. Just a döner kebab in the center is like 4 euros I guess? Nothing too crazy, but a bit more than in Germany.
I do live in Amsterdam, and maybe, send pics first.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Entropist posted:

Nah, for a plate dish (with salad and fries or something) at a kebab place including a drink. Just a döner kebab in the center is like 4 euros I guess? Nothing too crazy, but a bit more than in Germany.
I do live in Amsterdam, and maybe, send pics first.

Sent PM ;-*

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Entropist posted:

Amsterdam is pretty expensive as well. Costs really depend on your standards, 10 euro for a kebab or fried foods-based dinner or 30 euro for something with a good price/quality ratio at a well-chosen place, including a drink. Half to 2/3rds that for lunch. For trains I have no clue, you should look up the price for a same-day trip beforehand. It's pretty expensive when booked at the last minute.

I was just going to buy train tickets (Dutch Railways) when I was there using the self-service machines, is that a bad idea? I'm obviously flexible as I can leave pretty much whenever during the day.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Hollow Talk posted:

Check out Riz Raz if you are hungry and want to be fed properly. They have a vegetarian all-you-can-eat buffet both as lunch (frokost) and dinner (aften), and are reasonably priced. Otherwise, inscrutable horse is right, eating out is very expensive, so plan for that. I cannot really give you a proper estimate, since it strongly depends on what kind of food you like, what level of food you are looking for and where you will be staying.

I love Riz Raz. Eat a huge lunch here, and you'll be set for the rest of the day with a small snack for dinner.

Copenhagen is super expensive, but Stockholm and especially Oslo are even worse.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Just get Kapsalon every day in Holland.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

actionjackson posted:

I was just going to buy train tickets (Dutch Railways) when I was there using the self-service machines, is that a bad idea? I'm obviously flexible as I can leave pretty much whenever during the day.
Enjoy paying extra because of our retarded chipcard system that replaced paper tickets and dirty foreigners don't have one. :geert:

(It's a dumb system and the €7.50 cost for one + €20.00 minimum amount on it to travel by train makes it unfeasible for tourists on short visits, maybe look into some form of multiday passes.)

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

actionjackson posted:

Oh, I was mainly thinking about an international ticket to Copenhagen. Normally there wouldn't be a problem with your plan and Dutch national tickets aren't cheaper when booked earlier, but indeed our tickets are stupidly complicated for tourists now due to the chipcard system.
Here's an overview: http://www.amsterdamtips.com/tips/train-tickets-in-netherlands.php. Yes, the Belgian railways site may be the best way to get tickets if you already know where to go.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 18, 2015

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm flying to Copenhagen on SAS

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Since we're talking about food, any suggestions for Paris? I'm staying in the 1st arr, but willing to wander. Not looking for something fancy since I'm not bringing the clothing for it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

Since we're talking about food, any suggestions for Paris? I'm staying in the 1st arr, but willing to wander. Not looking for something fancy since I'm not bringing the clothing for it.

Suan Thai on Rue du Temple is good and pretty close. If you're two people you can probably walk in and get a place reasonably fast, but more than that make a reservation.

E: I like Chez Bebert a lot too, a Moroccan place next to Gare Montparnasse, but it's a fair bit farther. Don't eat anywhere in the Latin Quarter unless someone has personally recommended it, as (IME) it's 100% likely to serve overpriced reheated pre-made food.

E2: Oh and Le Marcab next to Pasteur. It's a little fancier but it's not like you're going to be wearing shorts and sandals at this time of year anyway.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 18, 2015

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Entropist posted:

Oh, I was mainly thinking about an international ticket to Copenhagen. Normally there wouldn't be a problem with your plan and Dutch national tickets aren't cheaper when booked earlier, but indeed our tickets are stupidly complicated for tourists now due to the chipcard system.
Here's an overview: http://www.amsterdamtips.com/tips/train-tickets-in-netherlands.php. Yes, the Belgian railways site may be the best way to get tickets if you already know where to go.

Thanks, that's helpful. Is that "Burgermeester" place good?

Also a question about Denmark, if I buy a return ticket from Copenhagen to Helsingor, I assume it's no issue if I get off early on the way back and return later? I want to see the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, which is right by the "Humlebaek" station.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Burgermeester is pretty good, I go there for lunch from time to time.

About the train tickets in the Netherlands: if you know someone in the Netherlands, you can avoid the lovely ov-chipcard situation by buying e-tickets in advance and printing them. You'll need to have a local contact because the national railroad company hates foreigners, so they only allow sales using local debit card authentication

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was just going to buy the disposable tickets. I'll only be making a few trips.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

EricBauman posted:

You'll need to have a local contact because the national railroad company hates foreigners, so they only allow sales using local debit card authentication
Except if you use the Belgian railways website.

I'll add that some good places to eat Dutch food relatively cheaply that I've been to are Winkel 43, De Brabantse Aap (also have their own beer), and Hap Hmm. They're in different parts of the center.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
You are all missing the point: Febo!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Febo sold out, they are selling a vegetarian kroket now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

asur posted:

Is this north Italy or south? I just moved near Milan for work and the few Italians I know seem to make plans last minute,

North-East, about 50 km inland from Venice.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Mikl posted:

North-East, about 50 km inland from Venice.

I work in Bolzano and live in Trento. I actually had someone send me a message on Skype yesterday morning to meet for a drink later in the day. I message him back a time later in the day, to which he responds that he has business to attend to all night long. This is not the first time that this has happened. I have long ago started utilizing italianhandgesture.jpg:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
When I lived in Copenhagen I remember a fair amount of stuff being closed on Easter weekend. I presume this is also the case for Stockholm. Nonetheless I'll be there for that Thursday-Sunday.

Presumably though, some stuff will still be open. What would be good to do then?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks to whoever posted that amsterdamtips site. I've gotten some more ideas for day trips, if you can comment on any of these cities let me know. I grouped together cities that are on the same train route.

1) The Hague (for Escher museum mainly) and Leiden
2) Haarlem and Zandvoort
3) Utrecht
4) Hoorn and Enkhuizen

Groningen and Maastricht are a bit too long of a trip for me, but if there's something along the way to Groningen that's interesting (Zwolle?) let me know. My preference is to just walk once I get to these places.

for Denmark,

1) Helsingor (to see the castle) and Humlebaek on the way back to see the museum.
2) Roskilde - thoughts?

I also was wondering about ATMs - I have a Wells Fargo credit card with the chip and I have a pin number as well. Is that what would be used for ATMs there to withdraw the local currency, or do I simply use my debit/atm card (which also has a four digit pin)?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 19, 2015

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

actionjackson posted:

Thanks to whoever posted that amsterdamtips site. I've gotten some more ideas for day trips, if you can comment on any of these cities let me know. I grouped together cities that are on the same train route.

1) The Hague (for Escher museum mainly) and Leiden
2) Haarlem and Zandvoort
3) Utrecht
4) Hoorn and Enkhuizen
These are all good ideas!
I don't usually recommend The Hague but the museum was good. Leiden is a good example of a smaller city, it's nice to walk around in and have a drink on a quiet corner. It's also a university town, more than Utrecht.

Zandvoort is mostly only nice in summer, except maybe if you want to eat some good fish close to the sea. Haarlem is a nice quieter alternative to Amsterdam, and the dunes in the Kennemerland between Haarlem and the sea are nice, especially if you can rent a bike and go around them.

Utrecht is a good city worth seeing, with nicer small streets in the old center than Amsterdam, and there are quite a few events happening there as well.

Hoorn and Enkhuizen are nice old fishing towns. Also keep Medemblik in mind in that area. There's a historical steam train line between Hoorn and Medemblik through the villages, which is pretty cool. Out of the 4 things you listed, this trip is probably done the least by international tourists, so that's a reason to do it.

In the Netherlands most places don't accept credit cards for payment, only Cirrus or Maestro debit cards, but for ATMs it shouldn't be a problem I think. They support a range of cards, but I guess it can't hurt to find out what 'type' of card it is (i.e. what logo you would have to look out for) and google it.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 19, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Just out of curiosity, what kind of fraud protection do European debit cards offer? That's one of the main reason I use credit cards (any fraudulent charges can be disputed before you pay the bill, rather than trying to claw the money back after the fact), but it seems like debit cards are a lot more ubiquitous overseas.

Same question goes for rewards I suppose. You can expect to get a percent or two back from any credit card purchases, do debit cards overseas have those kinds of benefits?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Fraudulent charges are unlikely cause the physical card is needed to make a payment, not just a number. If it gets stolen, you block it.
If your card gets copied somehow I think you can tell this to the bank, your card gets blocked and you get any money back that was transferred after the time when it happened.

Your reward is not being in debt all the time and not having to pay interest.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
E: Misread credit and debit.

Debit cards in the EU have tons of protection, but on the minus side they're loving impossible to use online, as there are like 6 websites in the world that accept Maestro-and-similar payment methods. I use my debit card for everything except online purchases.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Saladman posted:

Debit cards in the EU have tons of protection, but on the minus side they're loving impossible to use online, as there are like 6 websites in the world that accept Maestro-and-similar payment methods. I use my debit card for everything except online purchases.

Every website in the world accepts Visa Debit and Mastercard debit cards. The only cards you struggle to use are the weird one's nobody uses.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sweevo posted:

Every website in the world accepts Visa Debit and Mastercard debit cards. The only cards you struggle to use are the weird one's nobody uses.

Maestro is not the same as MasterCard. At least here in Switzerland, banks exclusively give Maestro cards as debit cards (or they have their own weird poo poo that works basically nowhere even for ATMs, like Post Finance's debit card even though it's nominally on the Cirrus network). Visa and MasterCard are exclusively for credit cards. Not sure if it's like that all across Europe, and I am aware that Visa and MasterCard do make debit cards and that Maestro is owned by MasterCard.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 20, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Entropist posted:

Fraudulent charges are unlikely cause the physical card is needed to make a payment, not just a number. If it gets stolen, you block it.
If your card gets copied somehow I think you can tell this to the bank, your card gets blocked and you get any money back that was transferred after the time when it happened.

Right, so I said, it's a matter of having to try to get your money back rather than disputing the charges before you pay them. I understand that there are extra layers of security (which are coming to credit cards anyway), but the funds are gone until you the bank gets around to verifying what's going on and processing the transfer.

Entropist posted:

Carrying a balance on a credit card is optional, and paying each statement in full prevents any interest charges. The cash back offered by credit cards is accrued regardless.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but the reliance on debit rather than credit cards overseas seems backwards to me.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Entropist posted:

Your reward is literally everyone over 50 in the Netherlands being really loving afraid of credit cards even though they're tons more secure than debit cards.

Unfortunately, this extends to bank employees as well, so it is not uncommon to run into situations where bank employees refuse to do things that they are required to do according to the agreement their bank has with Mastercard/VISA

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Right, so I said, it's a matter of having to try to get your money back rather than disputing the charges before you pay them. I understand that there are extra layers of security (which are coming to credit cards anyway), but the funds are gone until you the bank gets around to verifying what's going on and processing the transfer.

Carrying a balance on a credit card is optional, and paying each statement in full prevents any interest charges. The cash back offered by credit cards is accrued regardless.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but the reliance on debit rather than credit cards overseas seems backwards to me.

Credit cards are great if you are good at managing your money. They are basically a way of borrowing money short term. Every time you use a credit card you are putting yourself into debt.
Debit cards only let you spend the money you have available in your account. You can't go into debt, it is replacement for carrying cash around with you - this is considered an advantage.

People are idiots and spend more money than they can pay back using credit cards and then they really suffer through crappy interest payments. If you always pay your credit card bills on time, then they are fine. Most people don't, in which case they should use a debit card.

1 potential benefit of a debit card is that banks will change their exchange rates daily, so you will always get the correct exchange rate. Credit card companies are not so happy to change their exchange rates, especially if it doesn't make them money.

PlantHead fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 20, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012

PlantHead posted:

Credit cards are great if you are good at managing your money. They are basically a way of borrowing money short term. Every time you use a credit card you are putting yourself into debt.
Debit cards only let you spend the money you have available in your account. You can't go into debt, it is replacement for carrying cash around with you - this is considered an advantage.

People are idiots and spend more money than they can pay back using credit cards and then they really suffer through crappy interest payments. If you always pay your credit card bills on time, then they are fine. Most people don't, in which case they should use a debit card.

1 potential benefit of a debit card is that banks will change their exchange rates daily, so you will always get the correct exchange rate. Credit card companies are not so happy to change their exchange rates, especially if it doesn't make them money.

Debit cards can put an account negative. I think the default changed in the US somewhat recently so that they can't without you signing up for it, and I'm not sure what the default is in Europe though. Protection from something that is easily avoided by not being an idiot is also not something I'd consider an advantage. It is also a downside in the case of fraud since the debit card is direct access to your account and you're out the money until the bank fixes the issue.

Debit cards and credit cards on the same network, VISA, MasterCard, etc, use the exact same exchange rate which at least for VISA and MasterCard is set daily.

This is hearsay and I can't seem to find confirmation either way, but I've been told in Europe that if a fraudulent transaction uses Chip + Pin the liability is on the account owner. If so, while this is probably a rare event currently, I'd consider this a pretty large downside given that in the US if you report fraud in a timely manner you're at most responsible for $50 which almost all banks waive.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Saladman posted:

Maestro is not the same as MasterCard. At least here in Switzerland, banks exclusively give Maestro cards as debit cards (or they have their own weird poo poo that works basically nowhere even for ATMs, like Post Finance's debit card even though it's nominally on the Cirrus network). Visa and MasterCard are exclusively for credit cards. Not sure if it's like that all across Europe,
It's not.

asur posted:

Debit cards can put an account negative.

Only if you have credit on your account, which is not standard in my experience.

asur posted:

Protection from something that is easily avoided by not being an idiot is also not something I'd consider an advantage.
Then you are an idiot too. Stopping idiots from hurting themselves is a good thing, both because it protects idiots from harm and because it means that society doesn't have to care for a bunch of injured idiots.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

PlantHead posted:

This is not true. Also if you use any CapitalOne card, they charge no fees for foreign currency transactions, and they use up-to-date market rates for the conversion (as have all the other cards I've ever done that with).

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.
I've been using debit cards for many years now, both at home and in the rest of the world with zero problems or fraud. I was in San Francisco for only 5 days when my bank called me that they detected fraud on my credit card.

Until the rest of the world starts using the credit card + pin combination (some already are, some aren't), I'd say debit cards are better.

Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 20, 2015

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
No processing fees either, and at least with my Dutch bank's Maestro cards, no ATM or currency conversion fees in any country I've been to in Europe. I don't know anyone who has been the victim of debit card fraud (even before chips were used) while credit card fraud happens all the time, even to Dutch people who almost never use their credit card like my father. It also works everywhere in Europe, except that one train station ticket machine in northern France where I had to use my credit card + PIN for the first (and last) time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, so at Schiphol the visa ATMs say "ABN AMRO BANK N.V." I assume I want to use something like that - will they charge me any fees themselves?

Copenhagen airport has visa ATMs as well though there is no bank listed on the name.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

actionjackson posted:

Okay, so at Schiphol the visa ATMs say "ABN AMRO BANK N.V." I assume I want to use something like that - will they charge me any fees themselves?
I don't know about withdrawing with Visa cards, but normally no fees are charged, and if they would, they'd have to warn you during the process. The major banks that you'd see ATMs of are ABN (green), ING (orange), Rabobank (blue/orange), and SNS bank (multicoloured circle logo). Anything else would be quite small. It could be that there are tiny local banks / ATM companies charging fees, but I've never encountered it. I'm pretty sure all the big bank ATMs support the same range of cards.

e: Correction, I checked and there is a 1% fee for withdrawals with currency conversion from the bank

edit: Keep this in mind:
"Most bank ATMs in Europe don’t charge a usage fee, but stay away from “independent” ATMs, which have high fees and may try to trick users with “dynamic currency conversion.” These ATMs (labeled with names such as Travelex, Euronet, Moneybox, Cardpoint, and Cashzone) are often found next to bank ATMs in the hope that travelers will be too confused to notice the difference."

In the Netherlands I rarely see that (or maybe I just block them out) but it's quite common in some other European cities. Though even if you use one of these, you can always opt out of the dynamic currency conversion (though sometimes opting out is much harder than opting in).

Entropist fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 20, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Entropist posted:

No processing fees either, and at least with my Dutch bank's Maestro cards, no ATM or currency conversion fees in any country I've been to in Europe. I don't know anyone who has been the victim of debit card fraud (even before chips were used) while credit card fraud happens all the time, even to Dutch people who almost never use their credit card like my father. It also works everywhere in Europe, except that one train station ticket machine in northern France where I had to use my credit card + PIN for the first (and last) time.

My friends here tell me that this is based on the country of the issuing account. So, you might get free bankomat use with your Dutch debit account but Germans are likely to be paying a fee for using the same Bankomat as you. I am not sure if it's entirely true but I find it a bit funny because I'm in one of the free bankomat countries :smug:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yeah I think that's true. When I lived in Germany I got a German bank account. Apparently they have two competing groups of banks, and if you withdraw at the 'other' group within Germany, you have to pay an ATM fee. There may have been fees abroad as well but I never tried. Meanwhile, with my Dutch card it was free at ATMs of both groups in Germany...

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I think the two groups eventually agreed to not charge each other's customers any more.

One disadvantage of credit card payment is that some companies will make you pay the credit card company's fee if you pay with credit card or require minimum spending, whereas they have no fee with debit and you get the proper price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Anyone got any suggestions for night clubs in Berlin? Seems like everyone I talk about Berlin has some one to recommend but I've forgotten to write them down.

Also whats the best museums to visit? I'm interested in both art and history. Also looking for recommendations on poo poo to do in general seeing as I plan to be there around 2 weeks.