Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wow black gravios is a gigantic piece of poo poo.

And of course OF COURSE motherfucking SAVAGE deviljho shows up to wreck my poo poo. I get BGrav down to capturable, and he just stands at the other end of the map shooting firebeams at me. Then SJho shows up and immediately walks into the trap. Thank jesus for dung bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

CJacobs posted:

Does rolling give you invincibility frames at all? Or is it purely for repositioning yourself? Because man, the rolling MH4 feels totally useless. Maybe it's different for the heavier weapons, but with the hammer I roll basically as fast as I walk even when I have it out, and you can't roll out of the recovery of your attacks anyway, so unless it gives you iframes it feels pretty pointless.

Rolling gives iframes on startup. They are extremely short, just a few frames without Evasion+X skills. Still, most attacks in the game can be rolled through without any Evasion skills. Additionally, you absolutely CAN roll out of the recovery frames of your attacks. On hammer, this is particularly noticeable after a golfswing (X-X-X) or super pound (full-charge A while stationary). You can't roll out instantly, but you can significantly shorten your recovery with rolling. It's very important with hammer, since it's a slower weapon with no block.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What is affinity?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

muike posted:

What is affinity?

Critical hits. Positive is bonus damage negative is damage penalty. The percent is how often it happens.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

muike posted:

What is affinity?
Positive affinity is your chance to hit for 125% damage, negative affinity is your chance to hit for 75% damage. 10% affinity in either direction is a +/-2.5% damage modifier, so e.g. -30% affinity means you deal -7.5% damage overall.

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
What's better to have, attack skills or affinity skills?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DuckPuncher posted:

What's better to have, attack skills or affinity skills?

Attack in every possible case. Affinity is only helpful on weapons that deal frequent hits, such as SnS and Dual Swords.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Attack unless you massively high base damage, like with end game great swords.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mother of god, Monoblos doesn't gently caress around anymore. :stare:

That was a nightmare! I went through two Max Potions, since I had the foresight to bring them, and most of my Mega Potions. And it took just under half an hour to bring down. ...To be fair, I spent a good 80% of the fight taking potshots at its god drat horn with my Glaive, bouncing on every hit. Finally broke it, and almost immediately after my cats chopped its tail off. After it kicked me around for so long, those both felt pretty good.

Monoblos is offline only still, correct? That's kind of a shame, because unless Diablos has its moves, that seems like kind of a waste. This thing was way more fun to fight than Diablos ever was! The plate on its back wasn't breakable before, was it?

Also? The cutscene that immediately follows? Metal as hell.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Attack up xl is better than crit eye +3 until a certain breakpoint depending on your weapon. it's like 1200 or something for gs for example

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Awesome! posted:

Attack up xl is better than crit eye +3 until a certain breakpoint depending on your weapon. it's like 1200 or something for gs for example
In 3U it was:
GS = 1280
SnS, DS = 373
Ham = 1386
HH, SA = 1226
Ln, GL = 613
LS = 880

No idea about Insect Glaive and Charge Axe.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How do you get toad coins? I'm assuming you need to fight Tesucabra in the arena, but I've killed it in LR/HR and still haven't opened it up as an arena target.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Elysiume posted:

How do you get toad coins? I'm assuming you need to fight Tesucabra in the arena, but I've killed it in LR/HR and still haven't opened it up as an arena target.

Any amphibian monster will suffice, the shark for example.

I thought it was a bad translation, but it actually checks out in Japanese.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Man I even thought about how Zamtrios is amphibious but assumed it had to actually be a toad. :mad:

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So I somehow missed this in game I guess. How do I get more cat pals? I'm in the second town for reference. I did see mention of it once early on but don't recall seeing the exact how of it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

DisposableHero posted:

So I somehow missed this in game I guess. How do I get more cat pals? I'm in the second town for reference. I did see mention of it once early on but don't recall seeing the exact how of it.

You're not at the point you get more kitties yet

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Can anyone explain how Dah'ren Mohran actually works? I just beat him, but I have no idea how I did it or how effective I was.

In the first phase, there are ballistas with regular and binder ammo, cannons with limited ammo, the gong, and the dragonator. The dragonator and the regular ammo stuff is pretty obviously just straight damage, but what does the gong do, and when should I use it and the ballista "binder" ammo?

In the second phase, I just hit his hand until he let me climb on, then wailed away at his head until he keeled over. Is the second phase triggered by first phase damage or just by waiting long enough?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

That's a lot of skills to choose from. :stare:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^
Until Like G rank the only stuff I am worrying about is:
A gathering set (Gathering + Spirits/divine whim and speed gather)
An attack up set with 1-2 skills I like (so Guard +, Evade +, Focus if you use charge attacks)
Ignore the rest really

Thoom posted:

Can anyone explain how Dah'ren Mohran actually works? I just beat him, but I have no idea how I did it or how effective I was.

In the first phase, there are ballistas with regular and binder ammo, cannons with limited ammo, the gong, and the dragonator. The dragonator and the regular ammo stuff is pretty obviously just straight damage, but what does the gong do, and when should I use it and the ballista "binder" ammo?

In the second phase, I just hit his hand until he let me climb on, then wailed away at his head until he keeled over. Is the second phase triggered by first phase damage or just by waiting long enough?

Phase 1: Do damage to him when you can with ranged attacks/ when he gets close, mount him if possible for mining
When on his back you can break the dividing Fins (the horizontal ones that break up his torso) and the blowhole that he shoots rocks out of (also at range try and break his horn)
Use binding ammo/Gong to interrupt his attacks, I usually wait until he's going to charge the horn straight at the ship.
Dragonator is to stop his charge attack/massive damage yeah

Final Phase:
Attack Fins to get a mount on his back and do more damage up top
You can stop his Various attacks by damaging his puffed up chest with ranged attacks, Gonging him and dragonator.
If he flips over run into his mouth to carve.
When he dies you have carves in the head zone and body, crouch down to make your carving faster and pray.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Frenzy Virus Zinogre is all charged and pissed off and poo poo and starts casting his big AOE lighting attack as I'm winding up my charge blade mega combo and I get it off just in time right in his loving face, breaking his horns off completing the subquest and killing it in one hit.

I love this game :black101:

Also 50 hours in I just realized there's a skip button on the touchscreen to skip the 30 second monster falling over and dying movie

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 24, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CJacobs posted:

Does rolling give you invincibility frames at all? Or is it purely for repositioning yourself? Because man, the rolling MH4 feels totally useless. Maybe it's different for the heavier weapons, but with the hammer I roll basically as fast as I walk even when I have it out, and you can't roll out of the recovery of your attacks anyway, so unless it gives you iframes it feels pretty pointless.

You can roll out of the recovery frames of some hammer attacks, just not all of them -- watch the GaijinHunter YouTube tutorial for Hammer, it changed my life

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
Man I've always had a hard time getting into Monster Hunter, but this one has something the others didn't. Last night I played multiplayer and hunted a Tetsucabra with one other dude. He was a gunner of some kind, and I brought a hammer to break his jaw. I had done the solo Tetsucabra and it was ok, but the Multiplayer quest felt like killing a mountain. It was pretty awesome, but today it clicked. I was playing a solo expedition trying to find a Yian Kut-Ku so I could break his crest. In the middle of a fight, a Great Jaggi showed up and I had to dance between the two of them while trying to sneak hits in on the Kut-Ku's head. The message popped up saying the Kut-Ku looked like he was going to run away, so I threw caution to the wind and went super aggressive. He started limping and I hadn't broken the crest yet. I dodged the Jaggi's tail swipe and swung my switch axe and shattered the crest, two swipes later both the Jaggi and the Kut-Ku died at the same time. It felt like a happier Dark Souls bossfight. I'm really looking forward to the big dragons now.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Mistle posted:

Horns have a chance of breaking, as they always have. You can use skills which lessen the chances, but they will never be 0% chance to break, to my knowledge.

SD cards failing that often, or do you not buy a lot of game cartridges? The only SD cards I have that failed were a pair that were in a dual-microSD M3 adapter for my PSP back in the day.

With the horns, the field horn description now says it breaks after one use explicitly. In MH3U I had a gimmicky maestro SnS setup that used a lot of horns and would play the field horn to lure into traps, but even without maestro I don't think the field horn broke after one use guaranteed. Now it seems that it does, while the advanced horns still have a chance to break rather than a single use. As for the SD card, well admittedly it's only been like two or three cards/USB sticks over the years, but it still seems like there's more security in a single game cartridge than a card being read and written to for all my 3DS activities. I've got a lot of trust in Nintendo here, even my old battery-reliant GameBoy Color carts work.

Plus I can switch saves to the downloaded version if I ever want to, but as far as I know you can't go the other way. Much more importantly, if your 3DS itself breaks, any downloaded content for it is pretty much lost as well. You can recover the games with your account, but your saves are reportedly encrypted to work with that specific device and are lost forever with it. I'm betting on someone eventually finding an easy way to import and export saves with an ActionReplay and the physical copy, if the physical version saves aren't saddled with that per-device restriction.

e: bolding for emphasis for people who don't know about this.

Sard fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 24, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mithross posted:

Yian Garuga is what happens 9 months after Rathian has too many drinks and wakes up at Kut Ku's house. That's also why Rathalos is so pissy, he knows he raised some other wyvern's kid.

So Kut Ku is a Cuccoo? :rimshot:

We have a Mumble server for grouping up, on an aside. The info is in the topic in the IRC channel because I don't want to share it here where any rear end hole can see it. If there is need, I can make more sub channels to allow for multiple hunting parties.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Are the gathering hall quest monsters stronger than the caravan quest ones or am I just bad? Could be both, I guess, but the Rathian I attempted after downing the story quest gore magala just wouldn't go down and I actually lost the mission after dying three times, which was a first. I'm using a 432 attack charge blade and I've watched gaijinhunter's video on it, so I'd like to think I'm at least pretty good with the weapon at this point, but no matter how hard I beat on that rathian it wouldn't go down. It's weird, because the caravan quest rathian isn't too hard at all! This is just a Hunter Rank 2 monster so I figured it wouldn't be that bad.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Gathering hall missions are meant for 4 players.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Bread Set Jettison posted:

You're not at the point you get more kitties yet

Thanks! Another newbie question. Is there an in game description of what the various skills on gear do? Some are pretty obvious by the name but others not so much. I don't have a problem googling them or whatever but having it at hand would be helpful.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DisposableHero posted:

Thanks! Another newbie question. Is there an in game description of what the various skills on gear do? Some are pretty obvious by the name but others not so much. I don't have a problem googling them or whatever but having it at hand would be helpful.

If you're in a skill list, hit Y to see what skills do!

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Ah, that'd explain it. I took down the ice shark guy in the gathering hall and it took... quite a while. Died twice on that one, too, I'd guess they aren't too much harder than the story quests with 4 though.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Unless you're looking at your talisman table, because for some reason that shows a separate and almost completely useless table of your skill points.

Also online quests are really balanced more for two players plus two cats or three players, the fourth person is just icing on the cake.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jack Van Burace posted:

Are the gathering hall quest monsters stronger than the caravan quest ones or am I just bad? Could be both, I guess, but the Rathian I attempted after downing the story quest gore magala just wouldn't go down and I actually lost the mission after dying three times, which was a first. I'm using a 432 attack charge blade and I've watched gaijinhunter's video on it, so I'd like to think I'm at least pretty good with the weapon at this point, but no matter how hard I beat on that rathian it wouldn't go down. It's weird, because the caravan quest rathian isn't too hard at all! This is just a Hunter Rank 2 monster so I figured it wouldn't be that bad.

Gathering Hall quests are scaled for four players, and are the same if you have one or four people in the room. They have more HP and damage than comparable Caravan monster.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Are monster lengths/weights/whatever just flavor text? Or are the ones I'm setting new records with actually slightly bigger/smaller? That's a pretty cool little detail, if so.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Yah but it doesn't feel like everything is simply multiplied by 4.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Are monster lengths/weights/whatever just flavor text? Or are the ones I'm setting new records with actually slightly bigger/smaller? That's a pretty cool little detail, if so.

There are different sized models. I'm not sure if it's four or three distinct sizes or what, but you can definitely tell the difference fighting a medium Rathalos versus a silver crown sized one, for instance.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Still farming S. Magala and leveling up my guild map. Hall ID is now 29-4549-5613-3726 if anyone wants in, requirements to take the quest are G3 rank or higher.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CJacobs posted:

They actually vary in size. You WILL notice this when you finally encounter a gold crown large or small. Large especially, since suddenly tails will be out of range.

Additionally, the size also acts as a small modifier on the monster's health pool. Large monsters will take longer to go down than smaller monsters.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Yah but it doesn't feel like everything is simply multiplied by 4.

Sure, but the HP is all scaled up so that it doesn't go down too quickly if you've got a full party but not so much HP that it takes as long for a full party to kill a monster as a solo hunter would the same monster in the Caravan quests. That's what people mean when they say the HP is scaled up assuming 4 players.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm trying to decide which ranged weapon is the most fun offline and none of them are really clicking. Why do people tend to favor HBGs in solo? I kind of like the bow, and the LBG so I'm debating between those two.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

There are few things more fulfilling in this game than grinding up materials for like 2 hours and then making an entire armor set all at once. God drat the Tetsucabra set is good, especially with a few vitality gems to bring you up to +50 hp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
It looks even more awesome when you use the Daiymo GS (literally just a giant crab pincer) with it.

Speaking of which, what the hell kind of Monoblos did Daiymo get its shell from? Because I want to fight it.

• Locked thread