Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Zwabu posted:

Has anyone else abruptly lost interest/sympathy for the Eleanor Guthrie character? I think the second time she sexually assaulted Vane and then couldn't decide whether she wanted to help Flint anymore I kind of decided she was dumb and lost interest. I actually really liked the character during the early episodes.

Eleanor doesn't seem to realize that she really isn't running this island any more. She put the consortium together, but if anything her being involved makes it more difficult for them to do business since the Guthrie name only brings trouble to the sellers when they leave Nassau. She can't police the island when a crew gets out of control- she needs Vane to do it for her, and that just made Vane look stronger and her weaker. Even in this feud between Vane and Flint/Hornigold she's dragging the consortium around based on her whims instead of letting them back who they think is right. Sooner or later someone is going to realize that she's only in charge because she used to be and is coasting on momentum.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
I really cant blame Jack Rack'em for lusting after Max. Shes hot as poo poo and much more curvy than Anne. Also her fake rear end french accent is kinda hot. Its fake as gently caress though. She had a line in french last episode and completely butchered it to the point that I had to rewind 3 times to understand it and french is my native tongue

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Athropos posted:

I really cant blame Jack Rack'em for lusting after Max. Shes hot as poo poo and much more curvy than Anne. Also her fake rear end french accent is kinda hot. Its fake as gently caress though. She had a line in french last episode and completely butchered it to the point that I had to rewind 3 times to understand it and french is my native tongue

See the accent turns me way off. I want to mute the show every time she talks.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have two french female friends and one of them sound a hell of a lot like her. Accents are a funny thing. Max isn't from France, she's from somewhere else that speaks French, an island if a remember.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 23, 2015

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
the guy reads books of course he is gay

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Athropos posted:

She had a line in french last episode and completely butchered it to the point that I had to rewind 3 times to understand it and french is my native tongue

Maybe she's from one of the colonies? You know, where they speak your language differently, I mean poo poo, I was drinking with an American girl a couple of weeks ago and we where both stopping to clarify what we where saying throughout the night.

EDIT: Beaten

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Athropos posted:

I really cant blame Jack Rack'em for lusting after Max. Shes hot as poo poo and much more curvy than Anne.

Anne's face when she saw how much Jack was into Max during that threesome though :smith:

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Rougey posted:

Maybe she's from one of the colonies? You know, where they speak your language differently, I mean poo poo, I was drinking with an American girl a couple of weeks ago and we where both stopping to clarify what we where saying throughout the night.

EDIT: Beaten

She's probably from martinique or french guinea. The way she said her line really felt like she learned it by heart without knowing what she was saying though. Maybe its just me. Im too busy staring at cleavage to be bothered too much by it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Speaking of languages, I wonder if they'll ever let Eleanor reveal she speaks Spanish suspiciously well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-GGHZ_GF7U

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Athropos posted:

She's probably from martinique or french guinea. The way she said her line really felt like she learned it by heart without knowing what she was saying though. Maybe its just me. Im too busy staring at cleavage to be bothered too much by it.

She is Canadian.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He means in the show. She's from a French colony, which in 1715 would be a limited to the Americas, give or take a few places.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So Hamilton was committed to a mental institution for the rest of his life and Flint was exiled from England for being gay, and they were even talking about avoiding a noose? Was it that serious an "offense" back then?

I just assumed, from all the gay sailor stereotypes, the pretty wigs and ribbons they liked to wear, and how a man in woman's clothing was the height of comedy, that it would be sort of frowned upon but not a big deal. I get that the dad was using it as a power play, but I was surprised it was a thing that could ruin their lives so badly - even Flint's navy buddy said that he couldn't forgive that kind of "offense."

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Phenotype posted:

So Hamilton was committed to a mental institution for the rest of his life and Flint was exiled from England for being gay, and they were even talking about avoiding a noose? Was it that serious an "offense" back then?

You could get hanged for pretty much anything back then, especially if you pissed off the nobility.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The nobility and the church were hand in hand back then as well and super duper conservative.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They were still burning witches less than a handful of years before this in England, they still were for years after in Scotland.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I just assumed, from all the gay sailor stereotypes, the pretty wigs and ribbons they liked to wear, and how a man in woman's clothing was the height of comedy, that it would be sort of frowned upon but not a big deal. I get that the dad was using it as a power play, but I was surprised it was a thing that could ruin their lives so badly - even Flint's navy buddy said that he couldn't forgive that kind of "offense."

I thought so as well but according to Wikipedia, the death penalty was given for sodomy despite there being homosexual members of Parliament and nobility.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Sodomy was a bit of a peculiar crime at the time. Like Flint said, no one gives a poo poo. And like whatsername said, they do if it's politically convenient for them to do so. A lot of men were quite openly gay at the time, a lot were closeted but known to fancy other lads, and the majority of sodomy prosecutions and hangings were actually for rapes or offences involving children. See Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition by Barry R. Burg. It's a great read. 90% of the time? Not a problem being gay outside of issues of marriage, inheritance, the condemnation of the church, etc.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They hanged men in England for sodomy well into the 1800s and even had a few witchcraft-like crazed hysteria over men meeting in certain places for sodomy time. Concern over sodomy waxed and waned as do most things that become moral issues.

You could get away with it if you were upper class, unless some other powerful person decided to exploit your secret, as what happened to Flint and Hamilton Jr.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Vane got bummed against his will by the slave master he killed last season

Flint was forbidden from bumming/getting bummed by the person he loved

Now they're both driven by pure rage and having a knife fight to the death

There has to be some kind of Freudian analysis of this

Also when is Billy Guns gonna do them deadlifts

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Just saw the episode and the last couple of minutes were some of the most :wtf: I've seen on TV. Well played, show.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Vane got bummed against his will by the slave master he killed last season

Flint was forbidden from bumming/getting bummed by the person he loved

Now they're both driven by pure rage and having a knife fight to the death

Also when is Billy Guns gonna do them deadlifts

I don't think the writers even thought about this.

edit : or maybe they did and the fight will end in sex

ded fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 23, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eau de MacGowan posted:

You want to be bummed by two handsome men? No judgement here we're all goons

Longhair
Dec 19, 2005
*SLAM* BITCH!

Phenotype posted:

Back then? Hell, Alan Turing was prosecuted in England for homosexual acts (still criminalized at the time) and chemically castrated in 1952, just six or seven years after his cryptography skills helped Great Britain win the Battle of the Atlantic and shortened WWII in Europe by a couple of years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Britain homosexual acts weren't fully decriminalized until 2003. Oddly enough that's the same year that the US Supreme Court struck down anti-homosexual acts laws in America.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was such a good reveal I'm glad they didn't wait till the end of the season. Although that kiss looked forced as hell.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So Max is loving gorgeous. When someone talks about a 10, I point to her. Talking is optional.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She could lead me to my doom any day of the week.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I only made it to like episode 4 or 5 of the last season. Is it worth going back and finishing that season and watchin this show/ I havent seen a good show in a long time. I remember it was pretty cool but I cant 'remember why I stopped watching.

How has season 2 been? It seems people like it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You'll get a biased opinion in here mate. If you can't remember why you stopped watching it, then just watch it. Season 2 is pretty drat good.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Meowbot posted:

I only made it to like episode 4 or 5 of the last season. Is it worth going back and finishing that season and watchin this show/ I havent seen a good show in a long time. I remember it was pretty cool but I cant 'remember why I stopped watching.

How has season 2 been? It seems people like it.

The last few episodes of season 1 have a great pay off. The first few episodes of season 2 is kind of slow and boring.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Season 2 is much better so far.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Amazing episode. That Flynt reveal :eyepop:

I was so into the backstory and the touching dedication thomas gave to Flynt in that book that i had forgotten about Vane's comment about removing the head of the snake.

#Teamvane ended the episode on top.

But Rackham has a ship and it's gonna own :getin:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Zotix posted:

So Max is loving gorgeous. When someone talks about a 10, I point to her. Talking is optional.

Max played the role of mandatory awful female character on a CW show prior to this, so I'm still somewhat biased against her.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

TyrantWD posted:

Max played the role of mandatory awful female character on a CW show prior to this, so I'm still somewhat biased against her.

Such a leap too. From failed CW teen show to Starz and showing nudity.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Rocksicles posted:

You want to be bummed by two handsome men? No judgement here we're all goons

Can I

can I wear the coat?? :sweatdrop:

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4
Has anyone found the coat for sale anywhere? Anyone have an inkling as to what brand?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
gently caress #teamvane and #teamcoat

All about #teamsilver

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SA2K posted:

gently caress #teamvane and #teamcoat

All about #teamsilver

He certainly has a leg up on them!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Man, I love the political machinations on this show.

Also, holy gently caress is Eleanor about to do something smart for once?
She's probably going to get caught by Vane and bum rushed by his goons in the opening seconds of the next episode but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jack continues to fail upwards through his own hard work.

• Locked thread