Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
2P Hanabi has an okay skill curve as far as not losing goes, but trying to improve your score is one of the most luck-based things imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I like Hanabi but I wouldn't play it with only 2.

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky.

Noaloha posted:

Or, crap, I could just ask "what are your personal 2-player game preferences?", and take any suggestions as the recommendations they are.
I'd also throw in At the Gates of Loyang, Castles of Burgundy, Race for the Galaxy, and Aton on top of the other recommendations that you've already received.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just played my first card of Deadlands with another goon. The entire game was punctuated by me making callouts I knew were risky or stupid, and getting away with it, either because of stupid-combat-trick cards ('The Stakes Just Rose' was an MVP for me), or sheer dumb luck. The last round was decided by his Stud-4 goon getting tied by a Stud-1 Draw-1 posse of "whatever guys I had left to throw at him".

Still, seems like a really fun game so far.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
LOVED Argent: the Consortium, can't wait to play it again, already a 9 after one play! We went with the newbie setup and it was just us three. The five player game must be totally crazy.

Sinlaeshel
Apr 5, 2009

"I cannot speak English
because I am Japanese
"
I found Jaipur to be a pretty solid 2-player game. Red7 plays okay with two people as well.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I know Caylus is well liked here; how does Caylus Magna Carta compare?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Got my copy of Fields of Arle in today! Lets see here...

:unsmigghh:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Wow, and I thought Steam Park had a lovely punch board.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
looks like they hosed that print job up.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I just won a game of Temporum via a 30-card Barbarian Horde.

This is my new goal when playing.

Also :frogsiren: Final Attack Dev Leak :frogsiren:

While talking to Broken Loose about a rules question/general chat about the game on Steam earlier, I learned something:

There will be a King Phillip Robeast.

It is the hardest Robeast in the game. :kheldragar:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Unfair IV

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Final evolution: Only players currently dropping a Caylus on the table may speak.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

bowmore posted:

looks like they hosed that print job up.

Yup :smith:

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Archenteron posted:

This is my new goal when playing.

Cybernetic Wonderland is pretty amazing.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Shame BL forgot he has a kickstarter running, I really want to play this game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bubble-T posted:

You get $7 more than normal. It says so right on the tile. I'm not sure what the $1-$2 is either as no good trades for less than $3. Have you actually played the game?

Yes, I just misremembered the rules slightly and thought you started with $3.

Since you don't seem to understand, let me explain why Doomed World is bad. You can't spend $8 in the first turn. Anyone who spends all their cash gets a free buck back, while you do not. That immediately cuts back the value of your starting advantage to $6, even before considering that the other players will also get cash from the sale of their starting goods and can later replace those goods on the same world for even more cash. If anything, I was understating the case before: you are trading the initial coloured die that everyone else gets for as little as $1 and a single big turn with your worst dice.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Any tips about Print&Play? Just print the cards in normal A4 paper, cut and sleeve them with a Magic Land card?

This chat about Yomi reminded me I wanted to try it, but I'm not paying 60$ in shipping and tariffs for 4 characters.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lichtenstein posted:

Shame BL forgot he has a kickstarter running, I really want to play this game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565139&pagenumber=174#post441935605

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fat Samurai posted:

Any tips about Print&Play? Just print the cards in normal A4 paper, cut and sleeve them with a Magic Land card?

I always use card stock.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

If all you have is a regular printer either print inserts and sleeve or print and glue on to card stock using spray glue. Don't use regular glue, the spray stuff is much better.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Samurai posted:

This chat about Yomi reminded me I wanted to try it, but I'm not paying 60$ in shipping and tariffs for 4 characters.

If you are going to be cutting out a lot of cards/chits/whatever use an exacto knife or box cutter rather than scissors. It's faster and more precise.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Durendal posted:

Got my copy of Fields of Arle in today! Lets see here...

:unsmigghh:

Is that a screwed up print job, or terrible design? It looks like only some of the text has a dropshadow behind it. I would have thought a printing fuckup would screw up all the text.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

The End posted:

I got mine by getting directly in contact with the publisher https://www.facebook.com/elitegamessc?fref=ts

EDIT: Here's their email address elitegamessc@gmail.com

Thanks for the details on this, I think I'll chase this up if the game isn't too expensive.

Do you mind if I ask how you found this game? It has a good BGG score although only 12 reviews, and I downloaded the English rules to read over, but I can find no coverage or review of this game anyway. Considering I could get something like Keyflower for the price, I would like to see a bit more about it. I just want it to be good, and unlike other games I'm not sure it has resale value if not.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Zark the Damned posted:

Is that a screwed up print job, or terrible design? It looks like only some of the text has a dropshadow behind it. I would have thought a printing fuckup would screw up all the text.

It's a botched job. If I had to take a guess- someone didn't clean the printer/roller between sheets.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

unicr0n posted:

I've played Agricola with my 6 year old now a few times, (Family game, no cards) and he enjoys it. He also enjoys Agricola:All Creatures Great and Small, Lords of Waterdeep, the DnD Adventure games, even some Powergrid. Granted his reading skills have been pretty advanced for his ages, but his mathematics is lacking somewhat, hence why I gently nudge him into game where I can have him do some mental arithmetic. Keeping his attention focussed on the longer games can be a challenge though.

I've taught Cuba Libre to my ten-year-old sister.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Just going to plug CGE in here. I won a copy of Alchemists and got it in the mail yesterday, minus one of the triangular boards that you use to track your mixology. I emailed them immediately. They replied this morning (less than 12 hours later) and I gave them my address. The printer has already mailed me to let me know it's on its way. Ridiculously fast and courteous.

Also, the game is fun. Played 2 player last night, and I do think more players would make for a better game, but it worked very well and I like that once people understand the CONCEPT, the game is almost self explanatory. I feel that the publishing of papers is awesome, but somewhat fiddly and easily the most complex part of get new players through.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm gonna get paid just in time to pledge for Final Attack unless life kicks me in the balls again.

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys

It is time. Although I'm a little disappointed I didn't get the old artwork version with the classic scowl.

Noaloha
Dec 28, 2012
Picked up Dominion, CV and Love Letter based on your recommendations. Love Letter wasn't mentioned, but we've both heard enough good things about it over the years that we felt okay spending some surplus pennies on it. We both liked the overall approachability, theme-wise, of CV and the short gameplay video we saw immediately seemed fun, light. Dominion was the game we picked up because seemingly everyone says to do so and I'm a sucker for deckbuilding. Looking forward to trying them out.

The store itself, Dragon's Lair, Stockholm, was rather intimidating in a way, not in an unfriendly way, just in a volume of options way. Floor to ceiling single games covering every upright surface, mountains of games to navigate around in the centre of each room. Just an alarming array of things to look at.

The two near-miss games were Claustrophobia and K2. Claustrophobia, I think we both just like the idea of having a boardgame using miniatures moving around a dungeon with dice throwing, especially in a dungeon master versus adventurer playstyle. There may be other, better examples of that kind of game, but regardless, we very nearly walked out with a copy of that. K2 looked really interesting and was the loudest recommendation from one of the members of staff there.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Noaloha posted:

The two near-miss games were Claustrophobia and K2. Claustrophobia, I think we both just like the idea of having a boardgame using miniatures moving around a dungeon with dice throwing, especially in a dungeon master versus adventurer playstyle. There may be other, better examples of that kind of game, but regardless, we very nearly walked out with a copy of that.

There really aren't, at least not for the play time and player count. That's why I recommended it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

electrigger posted:

It is time. Although I'm a little disappointed I didn't get the old artwork version with the classic scowl.

the Mufasa-ghost of King Philip scowling at you isn't terrible either but yeah

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lorini posted:

LOVED Argent: the Consortium, can't wait to play it again, already a 9 after one play! We went with the newbie setup and it was just us three. The five player game must be totally crazy.

Be sure to check out the Errata thread on BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1314204/official-erratatypofaq-list

Like most L99 Games it would have benefited from better editing/a technical writer. And like their other games, there are a lot of fringe cases. I'd also suggesting restricting the mage draft at the beginning, which I think is one of the variants the designer put on the board. That is, remove 2 mages from each school, regardless of whether they're in play (this is easy since you just put it in their baggie with their marks and loyalty tokens), then remove 1 from each school for each player you have less than the maximum. That is, with 3 player (in base game), remove 2 more mages from each school from the pool, or 3 with the expansion (since it adds another school). It makes the opening draft a lot tighter. There's another variant that includes drafting EVERYTHING. That is, instead of just picking mages, you can INSTEAD pick sides of the mage powers, rooms/sides, etc. Suffice to say you shouldn't go that far at first.

Still happy to see that you enjoyed it, though! I hope there's no glaring design flaw that I've overlooked since I really enjoy the theme and the mechanics.

Noaloha
Dec 28, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There really aren't, at least not for the play time and player count. That's why I recommended it.

Noted. Pretttty sure that Claustrophobia'll be the next game we grab, with - appropriately disposable income willing - an accompanying copy of K2 and Twilight Struggle (and Pandemic and Memoir '44 and Hive and .... ).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The thing to remember about Claustrophobia is it is a deliberate exercise in a stripped down dungeon crawler because it wants to play fast, fast, fast. There's only 3 stats, Movement, Combat, and Defense. There's only 3 character types (fast guys, tough guys, and a jack-of-all-trades who also can cast spells). There's only two kinds of monsters per scenario - weenie little Troglodytes (who can actually get quite scary with the right tactics) and a tougher Demon (the exact kind changes based on the scenario but they are always heavier/tougher hitters then the Trogs). There's some easy blocking and spawning rules. Then there's the scenarios, a lot of which have a random generation component to them. And that's it. The rest of the game is how you use your resources and positioning effectively to avoid being squeezed (Human) or whittle down the other guy as quickly as possible (Demons).

I'm a guy who likes the original Descent, but the reality is that a 4 hour 4 vs 1 game with a 20 minute setup is not something that I feel like playing much anymore. In 1.5 hours you can play two sessions of Claustrophobia with setup so that each person gets a crack at the other guy as both sides. Much better.

Also, if you like the game there's two expansions. One (De Profundis) adds another really interesting monster for the Demon and 2 new classes for the Human, as well as an absolute poo poo-ton of scenarios and it's a great choice if you know that you enjoy the main game. The other (Furor Sanguinis) literally adds a 10 ft. tall intelligent Atheist Raptor Wolverine as a third faction and as a possible third player. It's phenomenally stupid, plot-wise, but mechanically it's kind of great (there's a scenario where Raptor Wolverine has a slave chained to each arm to help it fight for some goddamn reason and if they move too far away the chain snaps and they run off. Fun times.)

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Lorini posted:

I hope it's awesome since I just ordered it yesterday based on the talk from this thread and watching a few videos.

GrandpaPants posted:

Like most L99 Games it would have benefited from better editing/a technical writer. And like their other games, there are a lot of fringe cases. I'd also suggesting restricting the mage draft at the beginning, which I think is one of the variants the designer put on the board. That is, remove 2 mages from each school, regardless of whether they're in play (this is easy since you just put it in their baggie with their marks and loyalty tokens), then remove 1 from each school for each player you have less than the maximum. That is, with 3 player (in base game), remove 2 more mages from each school from the pool, or 3 with the expansion (since it adds another school). It makes the opening draft a lot tighter. There's another variant that includes drafting EVERYTHING. That is, instead of just picking mages, you can INSTEAD pick sides of the mage powers, rooms/sides, etc. Suffice to say you shouldn't go that far at first.

Thanks for this protip, I've saved it and will add it to my game when I am able to get it going. How bad is the errata? I haven't looked at it yet -- is it just a few things, or like half the game needs clarification or something?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

EvilChameleon posted:

Thanks for this protip, I've saved it and will add it to my game when I am able to get it going. How bad is the errata? I haven't looked at it yet -- is it just a few things, or like half the game needs clarification or something?

Most of it is just clarification and standard fringe case stuff. There are a few typos and inconsistencies (text and graphics disagree). One spell takes up the bulk of the actual "errata," so much so that the designer actually went back and forth on how to actually fix it.

quote:

ERRATA

-Two problems with the "Memoirs of the Future-Past" Planar spell card in regards to exhaust (the rest of the card is correct). "Past Power" casts one of your already exhausted spells. "Eternal Power" DOES NOT exhaust the spell you cast with it. Neither of these can be used to cast a Fast or Reaction spell.

-The wrong graphic is used on the 3rd slot of Astronomy Tower Side A. It should cost 4 gold to move the marker, not 3. The text is correct, but the graphic is wrong.

-The "Inversion" spell should say you can Shadow opponent's AND empty slots. You still cannot Shadow your own mages however.

The Future-Past spell was originally errata'ed so that the last spell cost 2 instead of 7, but then I guess he looked at his notes for the spell? It's a weird rear end spell regardless.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if they'll fix some of this in the next print run

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Grandpa Pants, regarding Argent Consortium, I think we are going to just give everyone 1 each of the mage types and call it a day. That way, everyone starts off the same. The purple fast action placement mage seemed a tad overpowered at the start of the game for us. Now from what I understand, other set ups may benefit other types of mages. One thing I really like is the inclusion of the neutral mages for handicapping. This way an experienced person can be more challenged in a game with new people. I can't wait to start playing with the B sides of some of the mages and rooms, should be a lot of fun.

I sure hope I can get this to the table with my other gaming groups, but I'm afraid it's going to be too confrontational and chaotic for them, meaning I'll be stuck with playing three player forever. Note that the game is not chaotic like Xia, but it's certainly no Tigris and Euphrates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I wonder if they'll fix some of this in the next print run

The designer said they would, but he hasn't been promised another print run, so if it doesn't sell well, this may be it. We didn't find the typos etc to be much of an issue. The biggest issue was that it was never actually stated in the rules that mages come back from the infirmary at the end of every round, had we not known that, we'd have had a very different and frustrating experience.