Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Cat Mattress posted:

Bear crew filming the Typhoons that intercept them, with a guest appearance by a Mirage 2000:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=68c_1424296602

I like the Typhoon, it's a great aircraft, probably one of the most agile fighters ever made. I wish we had more brits here with intimate knowledge of them, would love to hear some stories.

PS. Wasn't that Typhoon in the video fully loaded with air-to-air missiles? Nice of them to let the bomber squad know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It was indeed. And assuming the RAF still has three functioning brain cells, they have well-defined rules to actually use them in one if these intercepts. It's not all about taking pictures.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Everyone's favorite flying brown note had a brief cameo on last night's Archer.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
How slow can a Bear fly with flaps extended? Might be one way a bomber can try to gently caress with the interceptors.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

OhYeah posted:

PS. Wasn't that Typhoon in the video fully loaded with air-to-air missiles? Nice of them to let the bomber squad know...

I noticed this with the most recent Flanker intercept video. It totally rolls and shows off the armament.

Makes me wonder if a bomber crew has ever opened and closed their bay doors, representing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPRzh9pyEhI

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Boomerjinks posted:

Makes me wonder if a bomber crew has ever opened and closed their bay doors, representing

That's probably one of those "well-defined rules" situations that Godholio was talking about.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just being there, in a nuclear-capable bomber is the equivalent of pulling your shirt up.

Opening the weapons bays is like drawing down and aiming at his forehead.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

INTJ Mastermind posted:

How slow can a Bear fly with flaps extended? Might be one way a bomber can try to gently caress with the interceptors.

Honestly I don't know if one hangs behind or not, but even if they both pull up alongside, it would take a matter of seconds to get into firing position.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

MrYenko posted:

Just being there, in a nuclear-capable bomber is the equivalent of pulling your shirt up.

I wish we'd gently caress with them a bit more, they fly those things at us quite a lot. Sometimes let them them let closer, then Typhoons. Another day grab them in international airspace. Mix it up.

Plus points to our pilot there, that's an airborne middle finger.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

MrYenko posted:

That wasn't where I thought the first sentence was going.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
At least if we did it to the Russians we could claim that we didn't *know* the cruise missiles had live warheads in them. There's a precedent to draw on and everything. :v:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
If we don't know what we're doing the enemy surely cannot anticipate our actions

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The majority of US invasion plans are the words "CHAOS REIGNS" repeated on hundreds of sheets of paper.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I was at Duxford IWM the other week with my Dad and they had this Victor under restoration:

Turns out he used to work on this specific machine when he was in the RAF.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Agean90 posted:

The majority of US invasion plans are the words "CHAOS REIGNS" repeated on hundreds of sheets of paper.

One of the parts that I loved from Command and Control was when it explained how, for the longest time, the SIOP just kind of trailed off a few hours after the Go order. Like, they'd launch all the missiles, drop all the bombs, and then just sit back and go "... yup".

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

thatbastardken posted:

I was at Duxford IWM the other week with my Dad and they had this Victor under restoration:

Amazing looking machines. Not enough about these days.

Where was he based? You must have been an RAF sprog like me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

One of the parts that I loved from Command and Control was when it explained how, for the longest time, the SIOP just kind of trailed off a few hours after the Go order. Like, they'd launch all the missiles, drop all the bombs, and then just sit back and go "... yup".

I'm not exactly sure what else they could have done at that point...

Although it's kind of funny that this giant apocalyptic war plan is an all or nothing type thing.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

thatbastardken posted:

I was at Duxford IWM the other week with my Dad and they had this Victor under restoration sulking:

"Now you think about what you did"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You can't really plan for, "OK, forty eight hours into balls-out nuclear war, here's what we're gonna do..." All of the individual missions were planned to recovery bases, and at that point it's time to reasses, regenerate, and figure out who is left.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

thatbastardken posted:

I haven't been up to Duxford in far too long. Seeing as it's like 30 miles away I have no excuse, either... I should fix this.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

thatbastardken posted:

My landlord worked on XH558 (aka the last flying Vulcan) up until it was retired by the RAF so I'm forever having geeky chats with him about them, and I saw the last ever flight of a Victor which now sits about 3 miles from my front door [/shite claims to fame]

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
RE: that TU-95 bomber off the Cornwall Coast

Maybe some "Scottish" backed "Cornish Separatists" armed with a few old Bloodhound missiles should "accidentally" shoot down that TU-95.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Speaking of Tu-95s, are there any on display outside of Russia? I haven't been able to find any museums that has one.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

monkeytennis posted:

Amazing looking machines. Not enough about these days.

Where was he based? You must have been an RAF sprog like me.

He left the RAF a couple years before I was born, so my ideas of where he was based are a bit foggy. I know he trained at Cosford because we went there as well. I think he spent some time at Marham, and he got shipped around overseas a bit. Outside of working on the Victors he was mostly attached to a Buccaneer squadron - maybe 12? - which would put him at Honnington. I'll have to get him to clarify that for me.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

david_a posted:

Speaking of Tu-95s, are there any on display outside of Russia? I haven't been able to find any museums that has one.

The Tu-95 was very seldom exported (India got export Tu-142 maritime patrol versions, Ukraine and other USSR successor states may have inherited a few, but that's about it) so I don't think so.

edit: also there was a link to an eBay auction of a Tu-95 in this thread a while back.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 22, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Early Cold War jets are cool as heck and really should get more love, just giving a quick update.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
http://www.postimees.ee/3102053/suur-galerii-kaitsejoudude-paraad-narvas/3803981

American soldiers with Strykers taking part in the Independence Day celebrations in Narva, Estonia. :911:

How come there are no permanents US Air Force bases in Eastern Europe already? Come on guys. It's got excellent not the worst weather, very interesting edible cuisine and the most beautiful women on the planet. And on the plus side you being here would piss off a whole lot of high ranking Russian military officers. I know you guys love that poo poo!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

OhYeah posted:

http://www.postimees.ee/3102053/suur-galerii-kaitsejoudude-paraad-narvas/3803981

American soldiers with Strykers taking part in the Independence Day celebrations in Narva, Estonia. :911:

How come there are no permanents US Air Force bases in Eastern Europe already? Come on guys. It's got excellent not the worst weather, very interesting edible cuisine and the most beautiful women on the planet. And on the plus side you being here would piss off a whole lot of high ranking Russian military officers. I know you guys love that poo poo!

I hear the booze is really cheap too.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Mortabis posted:

I hear the booze is really cheap too.

Yeah, they are raising taxes on alcohol regularly but it is still a lot cheaper than in other Northern European countries. Wine is really cheap in Souther Europe, though, and beer in Central European countries like the Czech Republic, who incidentally make the best beer in the world.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

OhYeah posted:

You can't pork barrel overseas bases :(

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

OhYeah posted:

And the CV-90 magical mystery tour setup a couple of pics later. Another NL mech battalion bites the dust, the vehicles are being sold to Estonia.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
The entire brigade is going mech to "motorised" iirc.

Which is code for we're selling your ifvs and you'll use whatever wheeled stuff we have left lying around.

Not that I have a better plan for what the hell to do with our armed forces.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

OhYeah posted:

beer in Central European countries like the Czech Republic, who incidentally make the best beer in the world.

qft

buying a liter of beer for the equivalent of $1 and having it be also be some of the best beer in the world is an absolute delight

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

OhYeah posted:

The US Air Force will never open a new base. At most you'll see a partial takeover of existing airports (Kandahar, etc). And BRAC seems hell bent on killing every cool base in existence, while keeping places like Tinker and Cannon. RIP fun USAFE.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

The US Air Force will never open a new base. At most you'll see a partial takeover of existing airports (Kandahar, etc). And BRAC seems hell bent on killing every cool base in existence, while keeping places like Tinker and Cannon. RIP fun USAFE.

Don't forget places like this:

http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/
http://www.thenewsanno.com/
http://www.dragonhilllodge.com/WP/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 24, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

These are why people enlist for services. But they're not realistic assignments for anyone...meanwhile over a dozen bases in Germany and England are gone, Clark's gone, AF and Army bases are being consolidated and basically keeping the worst traits of each, etc. I'd actually love to know the last time the USAF laid down a new runway for a new permanent base.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

http://www.dailysabah.com/nation/2015/02/24/two-f4-fighter-jets-belonging-to-turkish-air-force-crash-in-eastern-turkey

Two Turkish F-4s down, all pilots reported dead.

quote:

On Tuesday night, four pillots were killed after two F-4 fighter jets belonging to the Turkish Air Force crashed near the Malatya province in eastern Turkey.

Two military RF-4E aircrafts lost contact during reconnaissance flights in the Akçadağ district of Turkey's Malatya province.

AFAD Rescue teams as well as fire crew, ambulances and gendarmerie were sent to the scene of the crash after locals said they heard a loud bang and quickly alerted officials. According to unofficial sources two warplanes collided in mid-air causing the accident.

Heavy fog in the region is preventing the vehicles from reaching the area.

While the investigation of the crash is continuing, Interior Minister Efkan Ala confirmed the death of the four pilots.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

I'd actually love to know the last time the USAF laid down a new runway for a new permanent base.

It was probably Comiso in southern Sicily. Went operational in May '83, closed in '91...it's an Italian regional airport now.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Has anyone else seen this theory on where MH 370 went? I'm not familiar with the plane or the systems described to know how much of what he's saying is plausible or not. Anyone else?

Putin hijacking a plane to be a dick/thumb his nose at the west sounds pretty plausible though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Of all the things Putin could possibly do to screw with us that seems pretty far down the list of reasonable options.