Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

blarzgh posted:

My paralegal texted me last night to let me know that she had already spoken to opposing counsel and our witness and rescheduled today's deposition because of the impending weather.

my secretary thinks "Please overnight this" means "put this in an envelope and then give it back to me so I can go to the post office."

Though I guess that means I get to leave early. Because post office.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nanodroogie posted:

Posted this a couple weeks back and got no response. Giving it one more shot.

Two admissions questions, speculation welcome:

1) Do schools only care about LSDAS cumulative GPA? I.e. degree and graduate GPA mean pretty much zip (though I've seen that Colorado, Vermont, and Seattle use degree GPA for their admission index).

2) Is a documented Canadian aboriginal applicant considered URM by any US schools? I've done grad school applications several times and never seen this as an available ethnicity until now.

Edit: Not asking for a friend. I've got a 3.0 cumulative GPA (I hosed around a lot prior to 2005), 3.9 degree GPA, 4.0 grad GPA, and I'm First Nation.

Yes, because undergrad is what's reported.

Yes, you're a urm. Find the box on the applications that best represents your status (usa, so I'm sure it won't say first nations) and click away.

Don't go, etc.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I managed to bill 6 hours looking for the answer to a question I could have googled. Happy loving Monday.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Where the gently caress do you get a snow day.

Also what is snow.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ActusRhesus posted:

Please tell me tales of what it's like to have competent administrative support. I wish to bask in the warm glow of other people's happiness.

Today she brought me cookies and let me go home early. Friday it was apricot pie.

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

The Fritos are antiquated.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yes, because undergrad is what's reported.

Yes, you're a urm. Find the box on the applications that best represents your status (usa, so I'm sure it won't say first nations) and click away.

Don't go, etc.

Funnily enough, 9 out of the 13 apps I submitted (all US schools) had "Canadian Aboriginal/First Nation" as a distinct category from "Native American", which is what prompted my curiosity. The LSAC tracks it as its own group, too. Note the whopping 21 Canadian Aboriginal applicants this season: http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/2014-2015-application-and-applicant-data/

Edit, a few examples: Columbia, Duke, and UCLA don't make a distinction between Native American and Aboriginal Canadian. Georgetown, Northwestern, Emory, George Washington, and Notre Dame do. Not going to mention the *ahem* lesser schools where I applied.

nanodroogie fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 24, 2015

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
Hey who was that crazy sovereign citizen guy with the bad toupee who has the 9 hour long speech on YouTube? He gets posted every now and then in this thread

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

AndNowMax posted:

Hey who was that crazy sovereign citizen guy with the bad toupee who has the 9 hour long speech on YouTube? He gets posted every now and then in this thread

David Wynn Miller

E: Sorry, : David-Wynn: Miller

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

AndNowMax posted:

IzzyFnStradlin

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

: David-Wynn: Miller

Let Plenipotentiary JUDGE : David-Wynn: Miller teach you the true ways of justice: QUANTUM LANGUAGE OF LAW by JUDGE : David-Wynn: Mil…: http://youtu.be/ULL0TX_Kazo

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 24, 2015

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Pook Good Mook posted:

Let Plenipotentiary JUDGE : David-Wynn: Miller teach you the true ways of the justice: QUANTUM LANGUAGE OF LAW by JUDGE : David-Wynn: Mil…: http://youtu.be/ULL0TX_Kazo

Ah, hello old friend. Thanks

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nanodroogie posted:

Edit, a few examples: Columbia, Duke, and UCLA don't make a distinction between Native American and Aboriginal Canadian. Georgetown, Northwestern, Emory, George Washington, and Notre Dame do. Not going to mention the *ahem* lesser schools where I applied.

Didn't you already mention the lesser schools?

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

The Fritos are antiquated.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Didn't you already mention the lesser schools?

Did I?

Edit: I get it!

nanodroogie fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 24, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Goddamn I hate lawyers and law students and people who want to be law students

Edit: I just got an assignment that I need to get done tonight but probably won't be able to finish until 3 am or so. Fun stuff.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 24, 2015

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

SlothBear posted:

Where the gently caress do you get a snow day.

Also what is snow.

Dallas, Texas and I'm my own boss... So SNOW DAY!!!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

AndNowMax posted:

Please, ours is not to mock these beautiful souls. His family probably cries themselves to sleep, you know

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Looking for a way to get some quick drama in your life? Try getting involved in high school mock trial.

Today a real argument was made that spectators (not competitors) need to divide themselves bride-side or groom-side in court depending on which team they are affiliated with. An objection (whining) was lodged with the tournament director, and when that was turned down she was told "so you're changing the rules" (nothing in the rules requires this) and "this sets a bad precedent."

You probably guessed the twist. This argument was not pursued by an overachieving high schooler but by the team's attorney coach.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

yronic heroism posted:

Looking for a way to get some quick drama in your life? Try getting involved in high school mock trial.

Today a real argument was made that spectators (not competitors) need to divide themselves bride-side or groom-side in court depending on which team they are affiliated with. An objection (whining) was lodged with the tournament director, and when that was turned down she was told "so you're changing the rules" (nothing in the rules requires this) and "this sets a bad precedent."

You probably guessed the twist. This argument was not pursued by an overachieving high schooler but by the team's attorney coach.

Oh yes. I had a coach livid because I told a student "ok. I'm going to sustain that objection, but not for the reason you said. Instead I find it's inadmissible because..."

Also had a coach insist that the other coach was giving secret signals to his team.

Though my fave moment was having to pull a coach aside to tell her she needed to ask her team to either wear longer skirts or sit with their legs closed.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pook Good Mook posted:

Let Plenipotentiary JUDGE : David-Wynn: Miller teach you the true ways of justice: QUANTUM LANGUAGE OF LAW by JUDGE : David-Wynn: Mil…: http://youtu.be/ULL0TX_Kazo

What the gently caress is this?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Please, ours is not to mock these beautiful souls. His family probably cries themselves to sleep, you know

Trigger warning: I know you play a character in this thread but mental illness and extreme sensitivity is no joke.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Trigger warning: I know you play a character in this thread but mental illness and extreme sensitivity is no joke.

What the gently caress is this.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
the character I play ITT is Waluigi, incidentally

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nitrousoxide posted:

What the gently caress is this?

Dude the US is totally not a country but a swiss corporation. You're just a number. Judges and lawsuits can be dispelled with the right magic words.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

I call dibs on Samus.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dude the US is totally not a country but a swiss corporation. You're just a number. Judges and lawsuits can be dispelled with the right magic words.

Tubal Cain

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

we had a sovereign citizen who we were literally just trying to give money to and he refused to accept it out of fear of some legal magical trickery, so we're going to get a court order saying we don't owe him money because he refuses to accept it

another victory for sovereign citizens, i suppose

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

we had a sovereign citizen who we were literally just trying to give money to and he refused to accept it out of fear of some legal magical trickery, so we're going to get a court order saying we don't owe him money because he refuses to accept it

:lol:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

evilweasel posted:

He doesn't want to create joinder with you.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

He has a legitimate concern. That money can be used to track his movements. Or something.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

evilweasel posted:

You should offer to pay him in peppercorns.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

joat mon posted:

Only a dupe would take peppercorns. That's a fiat currency, controlled by the Great Peppercorn Press under the Federal Reserve building.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

joat mon posted:

see, that would require him agreeing to anything, and when "here is a check, just go deposit it and stop bothering us" doesn't work I can't see getting his agreement on anything harder

maybe if we offered it to him in gold coins, but that's harder than the motion :v:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I sympathize.

Have an argument next week where we flat out offered to give him the relief he wanted: opportunity to go to sentence review (which he's not going to get through his appeal because of procedural hurdles, but no one in my office cares if we just give it to him because all he wants is the opportunity to go to sentence review and my attitude towards that is "meh. it's not like they're going to change his sentence anyway, so what's the harm in letting him go to the hearing?") Made clear, however, that offer was off the table if he made me waste my time writing a brief.

Got a letter from his attorney (nice guy) basically reading "Dear Statewide Grievance Committee Attorney Actus Rhesus, I am writing to ensure I have documented proof that I relayed your obviously favorable offer of disposition to my client in advance of the inevitable grievance/IAC claim inform you that my client has declined to accept your offer of disposition in the subject referenced case.

CC: file.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

ActusRhesus posted:

I call dibs on Samus.

Me:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hey mike what time did you get to leave the office last night/this morning?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Hey mike what time did you get to leave the office last night/this morning?

Leave?

Edit: I actually did go home for about an hour to change my clothes since my normal extra set of clothes I keep in the office are at the cleaners, I haven't had to use them in a little while which has been nice.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 24, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I left at 4, watched lion king with my kid and then binge played Cesar III.

This left me tired so I took a 2 hour nap during lunch.

State service 4-Evah!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

yronic heroism posted:

When the court announced that each school could only send one team to the competition this year, the court got an email from one coach telling them that they would have blood on their hands because his students were planning on self-immolating if their school couldn’t send two teams.

Another coach is upset that they’re deducting points for inserting facts that aren’t in the problem. As he says, “The real purpose of mock trial is finding the facts you can extrapolate.”

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The TN fucktard legislature introduced a bill to let anyone sit for the bar, whether they went to law school or not. I'll just patiently await the bill to refund me all of my law school tuition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

The TN fucktard legislature introduced a bill to let anyone sit for the bar, whether they went to law school or not. I'll just patiently await the bill to refund me all of my law school tuition.

More realistically I'd prepare for the explosion in unaccredited JD mills.