Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Steve wins it 2-1, though really it should have been 2-0 considering how much I hosed up cockatrice and broke rules left and right.

I'm also dropping BTW, I noticed we had a bye this week and since XMage is hosed up I'd rather someone else get to play than me on Cockatrice which I dislike.

Thanks for the games everybody, good luck and have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I got it 2/1. Apparently RUG isn't as unwinnable as I thought, but man I was sure I was losing the entire time in all 3 games.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

muon posted:

I've got an out of state friend in town tonight, so I'm gonna spend time with him. I'll concede unless you'll be up at like midnight.

It's possible but unlikely.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Why is Abzan Midrange called Nic Fit in legacy?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Nic fit is a ramp deck featuring Veteran Explorer and Cabal Therapy and usuallya 3rd color - Jund, Junk, and BUG all exist. Junk Midrange would be more like Deadguy Ale.

And because it was a Nice Fit for the meta except he forgot the "e" in the deck name. Or so the legend goes.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Its also a cool rear end deck. Remember all your favorite 4, 5, and 6 drops from standard? Turns out the legacy curve doesn't stop at 3.

I also made a legacy pod deck that is really sweet. Voice of resurgence with cabal therapy is awesome.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wadjamaloo posted:

Its also a cool rear end deck. Remember all your favorite 4, 5, and 6 drops from standard?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did people actually hardcast Exalted Angel in Onslaught Standard? My playset got stolen back in the day before I could really use it.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
AgentSythe! You around? Gonna PM you too.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think you might be joking, but I could legitimately see all 3 of those seeing play in a nicfit deck. Exalted angel is the least likely only because its outclassed by baneslayer.

V Ok fine, obstinate baloth outclasses it, which I have seen in nicfit decklists. It does have sick synergy with obsintate though, so just maybe.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 24, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Would Ravenous Baloth really be played in anything post damage-on-stack?

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

A very fun match, but I lost to Chamale in 3 games. We had a silly game 3, in which multiple forces of will were played by actually tapping lands.

Edit: This was by far the most enjoyable match I've had in this tourney, and I'm perfectly ok with losing it. This is what Thunderdome is all about. Good luck to my victorious opponent in future rounds.

Trilas fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 24, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I beat Trilas 2-1.

In game 1, I was on the play, I had a turn 3 Thought Lash which is nearly impossible for him to beat.
In game 2, I had a turn 3 Thought Lash but with his Goblin Guide, Eidolon, and Bolts he simply burned me to death before I could resolve it.
In game 3, he had turn 1 Pithing Needle that I couldn't interact with. So I countered his threats until I got a Future Sight on turn 6, then proceeded to bury him in card advantage. I got a Jace and ticked him up to 13, and meanwhile cast all 4 of my Force of Will just to stay alive (3 of them hardcast). I wound up at 3 life and 11 cards in library when I won. Laboratory Maniac even got a chance to turn sideways a few times as I considered every win condition I had available.

Very well-played games, Trilas.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

Still haven't been able to contact LGD.

Sorry about this. I was in Costa Rica without access to a computer/internet until I returned home around ~9pm Sunday (after over 16 hours of travel). I'm terribly sorry for having been out of contact and depriving Partial Octopus of the games. Obviously this isn't really good grounds for an extension (and I should have spoken up sooner), so I happily concede to him/her/it. Definitely up for this next week.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

LGD posted:

so I happily concede to it.

Fixed this for you.

Don't worry, he mostly plays Miracles and Lands; he hates playing Magic.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Wadjamaloo posted:

I think you might be joking, but I could legitimately see all 3 of those seeing play in a nicfit deck. Exalted angel is the least likely only because its outclassed by baneslayer.

V Ok fine, obstinate baloth outclasses it, which I have seen in nicfit decklists. It does have sick synergy with obsintate though, so just maybe.

How would he be joking those drops owned and that st andard owned.

Except angel is actually a 3-drop.

Scores as of this post:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rtte-X6lDYmEzWQErgA3FfCYRKQE5EY4vJlUEhkA4TA

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 24, 2015

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
scores are updated except for Network42/BAFH. my understanding was they got the game in at 10pm last night, so i'll pair after i confirm that.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
also the joy of nicfit is you can do whatever you want i have resolved prime speaker zegana and villainous wealth even (though wealth never hit anything :\)

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

I guess we never found a time to play? Kinda sucks to take a draw

edit: because this tournament is so serious you know. jesus why do i give a gently caress

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lonely Bridge posted:

edit: because this tournament is so serious you know. jesus why do i give a gently caress

Because we need to prove that we're better than Mcmagic. Obviously kidding we already did that.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
tdome 2 interest check thread is up please get hype: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702804

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
also since some people have been having trouble fetching in xmage, i think that bug was introduced in v6. the dl link for v5 is here: http://bit.ly/XMage2015-02-07v5

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Lonely Bridge posted:

Looks like you were given the win anyways. I don't mind, my schedule the past week was particularly restrictive so I'll take the hit.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
just remembered xmage saves result history so i saw bafh took it 2-1

WEEK 5 PAIRINGS BELOW

1) muon vs Ableist Kinkshamer (0-2)
2) PERPETUAL IDIOT vs Chamale (1-2)
3) odiv vs suicidesteve (2-1)
4) Wadjamaloo vs LordSaturn (1-2)
5) instantrunoffvote vs born on a buy you (2-0)
6) Network42 vs Moatman (1-2, Network42 dropped)
7) Fingers McLongDong vs Kraus (1-2)
8) Toshimo vs ChewyLSB (2-1)
9) Lonely Bridge vs C-Euro (2-1)
10) Babylon Astronaut vs DrStab (UD)
11) always be closing vs Auralsaurus Flex (2-1)
12) Trilas vs Filthy Monkey (1-2)
13) lonequid vs Archenteron (0-2)
14) LGD vs Big Anime Fan Here (0-2)
15) Ranpire vs Hobojim (2-0)
16) wildfire1 vs Snacksmaniac (2-0)
17) GottaPayDaTrollToll vs PhyrexianLibrarian (2-0)
18) gang sines vs The March Hare (2-1)
19) TheLawinator vs Jabor (2-1)
20) Procrastinator vs Partial Octopus (ID)

TenjouUtena convincingly defeats the bye

RESULTS DUE NEXT MONDAY (MARCH 2ND) AT 8 AM EST

black potus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 3, 2015

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

gang sines posted:

just remembered xmage saves result history so i saw bafh took it 2-1

4) Wadjamaloo vs LordSaturn

Alright, I guess I'm in the Doomsday bracket now. How do you want to link up?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

Can I just have one pairing that isn't unwinnable?!

gang sines posted:

3) odiv vs suicidesteve

No? OK cool thanks.

I'll be around later tonight and tomorrow, like between 9 and 10, and Thursday after say, 4. Saturday and Sunday as needed.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Nic Fit chat :getin:

Calling Nic Fit "Abzan Midrange" is a little bit of a misnomer, as Nic Fit isn't really a midrange deck despite appearances. It's a weird hybrid of a synergy/control/ramp deck that can be built in dozens of different ways, so it's almost hard to even say a Jund Nic Fit deck is the same as Junk or BUG one. It's a lot more like Birthing Pod in Modern than anything else (in fact, some people do run Pod in their Nic Fit decks).

All Nic Fit decks have a lot of cards in common, namely the core interaction of Veteran Explorer and Cabal Therapy, some kind of sweeper like Pernicious Deed, and card selection in either Sensei's Divining Top or Sylvan Library. The deck runs so many shuffle effects between Explorer, fetches, and GSZ, that you can dig super deep and

- Jund Nic Fit plays a lot more like a Legacy Jund deck, with disruption in the form of Liliana of the Veil, Punishing Fire, and Hymn to Tourach, and creatures like Huntmaster of the Fells at the top end. Some builds also run a Burning Wish suite and freakin' Scapeshift to have an out-of-nowhere Valakut win.

- BUG Nic Fit gets to run Brainstorm and Jace the Mind Sculptor to maximize the shuffle effects already in the deck, which means it's more able to get away with finishers that can't be fetched with GSZ. The funniest one I've seen is Consecrated Sphinx. It also runs counters, which massively improve the combo matchup (by far the deck's worst).

- Junk Nic Fit (my choice) is becoming the most popular thanks to Siege Rhino. It's a very grindy version that focuses on hard to deal with threats and lots of ways to get them back if they are dealt with (Volrath's Stronghold, Sun Titan, Recurring Nightmare). It also allows for Gaddock Teeg, which shuts down a lot of problematic cards.

If anyone would be interested I can record a deck-tech tonight of my list.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

- BUG Nic Fit gets to run Brainstorm and Jace the Mind Sculptor to maximize the shuffle effects already in the deck, which means it's more able to get away with finishers that can't be fetched with GSZ. The funniest one I've seen is Consecrated Sphinx. It also runs counters, which massively improve the combo matchup (by far the deck's worst).

Gravedad is my finisher of choice. I've also got a 1/1 split of Swagtusks main/board because a whole lot of decks can't actually beat it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

No? OK cool thanks.

I'll be around later tonight and tomorrow, like between 9 and 10, and Thursday after say, 4. Saturday and Sunday as needed.
I've had a couple major punts, so you have hope.

Time zone?

I'm in Mountain and have kids, so the best bet might just be to wait until the weekend.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

LGD posted:

Sorry about this. I was in Costa Rica without access to a computer/internet until I returned home around ~9pm Sunday (after over 16 hours of travel). I'm terribly sorry for having been out of contact and depriving Partial Octopus of the games. Obviously this isn't really good grounds for an extension (and I should have spoken up sooner), so I happily concede to him/her/it. Definitely up for this next week.

It's all good. Sorry we couldn't get an extension!

Procrastinator. When is a good time for you to play?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Zoness posted:

How would he be joking those drops owned and that st andard owned.

Except angel is actually a 3-drop.

Scores as of this post:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rtte-X6lDYmEzWQErgA3FfCYRKQE5EY4vJlUEhkA4TA

I won my round 2 vs BA, this shows me losing it. Wouldn't want to lose my points in this v important tourney with so much on the line.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The March Hare posted:

I won my round 2 vs BA, this shows me losing it. Wouldn't want to lose my points in this v important tourney with so much on the line.

my typing is bad thanks for corrections

I'm just doing my best to simulate a real wizards event

also if anyone else catches errors please correct/alert me, i implemented some better input ways later on but theres always some weird formula poo poo w/ each iteration when im putting in pairings

(also gang sines doesnt use these for pairings but correct scores will be used for t8 cutoffs so as that gets closer please be vigilant about your scores!)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 24, 2015

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Pm me instantrunoff

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

Alright, I guess I'm in the Doomsday bracket now. How do you want to link up?
I'm off work at 3pm pst but I like to go mountain biking, so a bit of advanced warning is nice. I hang out in the IRC a lot.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Wadjamaloo posted:

I'm off work at 3pm pst but I like to go mountain biking, so a bit of advanced warning is nice. I hang out in the IRC a lot.

I get off around 5 PM PST, and any afternoon this week is about as good. I will try to catch you in IRC tonight.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

I get off around 5 PM PST, and any afternoon this week is about as good. I will try to catch you in IRC tonight.
Cool, I should be around this evening.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Oh god, why did I get paired against the lands deck :-( snacks I'll be in irc 27ish hours from this post if you're around.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
TrollToll, I think I have most of tonight off, I'll be in IRC when I'm ready to go.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Here's a video of me playing against elves, and a valuable lesson about fetching basic lands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDOA__ugY1c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

gang sines posted:

15) Ranpire vs Hobojim

RESULTS DUE NEXT MONDAY (MARCH 2ND) AT 8 AM EST

Let me know when you're ready go!

Edit: Also, to add to current chat, I've always thought the nic in nic fit was for pernicious deed. PerNICious deed. I have no idea why I thought that. :shrug:

Hobojim fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 24, 2015

• Locked thread