Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Yeah, get a linode.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What the hell is up with Bounceweb? My wife's website has slowed to a crawl, its a rather light little WP page for her business. Takes about 15 seconds to load even the dashboard is slow, i've disabled plugins to see if that was the issue, nope. I didn't know there was an issue until google adwords stopped our advertising because the site was too slow, 3 months ago. Bounce web keeps telling me that nothing is wrong, but I suspect their cpus are overloaded pieces of poo poo. I also see it is no longer on the goon list. Awesome.

It's really really bad, lol. Just switch to lithium hosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

bahahaha

How many users are you planning on having at one time? We ran 10 interactive Ruby on Rails apps with 25,000 users a day on a system like that.

You could handle wordpress and ecommerce on a 1 or 2 gb linode. How many orders a day? How many visitors?

that spec he listed is probably like $50-100 or less, the rest is just paying for "fully managed"

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
What's a good place for reasonably priced but reputable SSL certs?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

bahahaha

How many users are you planning on having at one time? We ran 10 interactive Ruby on Rails apps with 25,000 users a day on a system like that.

You could handle wordpress and ecommerce on a 1 or 2 gb linode. How many orders a day? How many visitors?

I would not think more than a few hundred a day even once we get going. If/when we start advertising in media that will probably jump to multiple thousands, but I don't think that will be for several months at the earliest.

I have no idea for orders, that depends on too many factors for me to guess at.

As Biowarefare mentions, we need it to be fully managed as I am unfortunately the only person at this company with anything resembling webhosting experience, and I only know enough to know that I don't know enough.

RackSpace support was not that helpful. They apparently need to have a website ready to go to gauge how much it's going to cost to host. Somewhat understandable and I understand the need to play it safe in regards to quoting for future business, but I would at least like to get a ballpark somewhat more restrained than $600-$2,500, which is obviously way more than we need.

I'm looking into Linode now. Thanks for the help!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
2gb/4gb linode + linode management + longview

problem solved for the most part

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Ahz posted:

do you need wildcard, EV etc?

if not then startssl (free) or rapidssl/positivessl (cheap) via a reseller like https://www.greensslcertificates.com/
your domain registrar may also have a deal on cheap certs

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

Rufus Ping posted:

do you need wildcard, EV etc?

if not then startssl (free) or rapidssl/positivessl (cheap) via a reseller like https://www.greensslcertificates.com/
your domain registrar may also have a deal on cheap certs

I have a few domains on the same name (.ca, .co, etc..), but I just plan to forward them all to my main .com domain homepage. Do I just need the one domain SSL cert right? I don't plan to have the entire domain SSL'd, just the buying/login parts and API.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ahz posted:

Do I just need the one domain SSL cert right?

depends precisely how people will be accessing the additional domains. If you want people to be able to go to https://whatever.biz you'll need a cert for it, even if it just does a redirect to .com straight away. It's your call

Ahz posted:

I don't plan to have the entire domain SSL'd, just the buying/login parts and API.

this is a separate issue but why? just stick the whole thing behind SSL. And configure HSTS while you're at it

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Ahz posted:

ssls.com

SpartanIV posted:

we need it to be fully managed

I would highly recommend vNucleus for a fully managed VPS solution. I'm not just blatantly plugging right now, I have seven (7) servers with them (albeit not all fully managed), but since you're asking in this thread, I would suggest them. Shoot out an email to sales@vnucleus.com and see if you can get what you're seeking.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Yeah, get a linode.

It's really really bad, lol. Just switch to lithium hosting.

Already in progress. Had Bouncweb since 2012, and every time i complained, they said it was me.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

Rufus Ping posted:

depends precisely how people will be accessing the additional domains. If you want people to be able to go to https://whatever.biz you'll need a cert for it, even if it just does a redirect to .com straight away. It's your call

this is a separate issue but why? just stick the whole thing behind SSL. And configure HSTS while you're at it

That's not a bad idea. Now I'm wondering if I should use a CDN for Jquery/D3.js/bootstrap if I'm going all HTTPS.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe they're just reselling through Rackspace and acting as an intermediary between rackspace customer service and the end user? A pretty good gig if you can get it. 5 customers @ $500/mo, you could live like a king in somewhere like Spain, Greece or Argentina.

Some company I was working for about 5 years ago was paying Rackspace something like $25,000 a year ($1100/mo?) for a dual core dedicated windows webserver that was fully managed. We saw about 800 users a day. Granted the website pulled in about $3 million a year but the employees were renting (unmanaged) linodes for hobby use with about 70% of that capacity for a couple bucks a month. In comparison I pay $4/mo for godaddy* hosting on a wordpress blog that gets about 1500 visitors a day.

*Don't hurt me

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 30, 2015

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Ahz posted:

That's not a bad idea. Now I'm wondering if I should use a CDN for Jquery/D3.js/bootstrap if I'm going all HTTPS.

They all have https cdns already by companies much larger than you (google, microsoft, etc)

also if you load ANY insecure element, your page is not secure anymore, so there's not much point

same thing with persisting sessions across http to https: if you land on http, redirect to https for login, your page is ALREADY insecure, and there is no point in doing so.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Does a VPS control panel that supports xenserver exist? I need to look for a better solution for providing VPSes for some of my clients. In the past I have used cloudmin running on centOS and it was great but the GUI is awful for end users and they were contacting me a lot to do fairly basic things.

I have been testing xenserver right now because the high availability features are free. I have a few servers set up using a storage server and it has been fine. My problem is that I can't really easily delegate roles and stuff. Otherwise it seems alright.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Biowarfare posted:

same thing with persisting sessions across http to https: if you land on http, redirect to https for login, your page is ALREADY insecure, and there is no point in doing so.

HSTS fixes that, but there's always laggards in adoption (IE, coming in 11). Even a redirect via mod_rewrite to https would leak cookie and other sensitive data in the request if the https request flops back to http. So we're probably, based on IE6 obsolescence, 10+ years from HSTS becoming fully-implemented by most web users. :classiclol:

Additionally, you can set cookies as secure. If a request goes from https to http, and a cookie is marked as secure, it won't get transmitted in the request. Request URI will still leak in that case.

edit: coulda/woulda/shoulda

nem fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 30, 2015

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Certificates are related to hosting, so I'll try this thread: Symantec is refusing to update our certs to support Certificate Transparency until we renew them. This is frustrating, and their certs are rather outrageously expensive. Solid recommendations for certificate authorities that support wildcard domains, ssl with extended validation, and certificate transparency?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm trying to convince someone to transfer their domain to a different registrar but they're reluctant because they think they're gonna lose emails while it's transferring. How likely is that? In the past when I've transferred domains I'm pretty sure all the MX records etc. were preserved. But is there a period when no DNS records are accessible at all while it's transferring?

It's a .uk domain if that makes any difference (you transfer it by changing the IPS tag rather than with an EPP code).

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

fuf posted:

I'm trying to convince someone to transfer their domain to a different registrar but they're reluctant because they think they're gonna lose emails while it's transferring. How likely is that? In the past when I've transferred domains I'm pretty sure all the MX records etc. were preserved. But is there a period when no DNS records are accessible at all while it's transferring?

It's a .uk domain if that makes any difference (you transfer it by changing the IPS tag rather than with an EPP code).

Is the email hosted at the registrar or elsewhere? Also, are you using the registrar's name servers? If you are, my recommendation is to use a third party for DNS (I like Amazon Route 53 for DNS personally), as when you keep your DNS separate from your domain registration it's trivial to transfer the domain without affecting anything - you just keep the same name servers through the transfer. If you're using the registrar's name servers, they'll likely shut down the zone when you transfer out, which will cause an outage. Email will retry, so if your domain is down for a day due to a DNS outage, all of the emails that were supposed to come in will be stuck in a queue retrying every so often. You should get them all, just a bit late. If you set things up well though, you don't have to worry about that outage at all.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Ok so maybe I should get them to change the name servers to point to my Route 53 account first. And then we can do the registrar transfer after. That makes sense. :)

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
I have an account with Lithium hosting and I remember all the ftp, cpanel, etc credentials except for my client area password. I don't remember the privacy questions either (I don't usually forget them easily, but for some reason, I'm completely blanking on this one). Am I screwed?

The IT dude who's working on my ticket is, like, sales or something and he's being completely unhelpful because I totally sound like a scammer. How can I get my account back? :(

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Storgar posted:

I have an account with Lithium hosting and I remember all the ftp, cpanel, etc credentials except for my client area password. I don't remember the privacy questions either (I don't usually forget them easily, but for some reason, I'm completely blanking on this one). Am I screwed?

The IT dude who's working on my ticket is, like, sales or something and he's being completely unhelpful because I totally sound like a scammer. How can I get my account back? :(

For the sake of anonymity, your account name is John Doe and your driver's license says Jack Wu. Your address doesn't match and you can't verify your security question answer.
If you used invalid contact info and a fake name when signing up and have since forgot your account credentials, you're kinda screwed. I really don't know what else to tell you.

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 24, 2015

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Storgar posted:

http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

DarkLotus posted:

For the sake of anonymity, your account name is John Doe and your driver's license says Jack Wu. Your address doesn't match and you can't verify your security question answer.
If you used invalid contact info and a fake name when signing up and have since forgot your account credentials, you're kinda screwed. I really don't know what else to tell you.

drat... I did sign up with a pseudonym, but the contact info isn't "invalid". I bought a PO Box for the site and it's different from the address on my license. Ah, this is completely my fault anyway. Nevermind then...

PS: "Jack Wu"? I would have appreciated something more neutral like "Jack Johnson", thank you very much.

PPS: Thanks for your help. Lithium Hosting is very professional. I hope I didn't inconvenience you guys too much.

Storgar fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 24, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have a strange question - how are sites like Netcraft detecting webserver versions and software packages like Varnish when they aren't advertised by the server in the headers?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

BlackMK4 posted:

I have a strange question - how are sites like Netcraft detecting webserver versions and software packages like Varnish when they aren't advertised by the server in the headers?

they are advertised in the headers. Via: 1.1 varnish and nginx/0.7.67 etc

it's also trivial to tell specific webservers apart like apache and nginx based on their responses to nonexistant files and some other quirks

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Biowarfare posted:

they are advertised in the headers. Via: 1.1 varnish and nginx/0.7.67 etc

it's also trivial to tell specific webservers apart like apache and nginx based on their responses to nonexistant files and some other quirks

I see it now, they were sending the header as 'server' rather than 'Server'. My mistake. :)

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I already have a domain name that I got through namecheap, and I've been building a simple personal page in HTML over the past week. Now I'd like to put it on a host so others can access it when I link to it. Is there a good guide on how to set that up and make sure everything is secure?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

TopherCStone posted:

I already have a domain name that I got through namecheap, and I've been building a simple personal page in HTML over the past week. Now I'd like to put it on a host so others can access it when I link to it. Is there a good guide on how to set that up and make sure everything is secure?

If you're really only dealing with straight HTML, there isn't much in the way of security that you have to be concerned with. Just check reviews and find a reputable web-host.
As long as the web-host keeps the server and apps updated, your html only site will be fine.

If you eventually upgrade your site to contain dynamic content via a CMS of some sort, be sure to keep it updated and only use trusted plugins and themes.
Be sure to use a secure cPanel and FTP password too, it's ridiculous how many accounts get compromised because the account owner used a simple password for cPanel.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
Also, in the case of WordPress, assume EVERY third party theme and plugin is a vulnerability waiting to happen.

I see way way way way too many customers that get exploited because this AWESOME THEME was last updated in 2013, and nobody noticed that until AFTER they send out half a million spam emails or whatever.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

cstine posted:

Also, in the case of WordPress, assume EVERY third party theme and plugin is a vulnerability waiting to happen.

I see way way way way too many customers that get exploited because this AWESOME THEME was last updated in 2013, and nobody noticed that until AFTER they send out half a million spam emails or whatever.

This is 100% good advice. poo poo, just don't use wordpress unless you know what you're doing. Even then, you still have a 50/50 chance of getting e-raped by a malicious user.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Yeah I'm not planning on anything too elaborate and I'm pleased with what I was able to come up with in just plain CSS/HTML. I was actually thinking of Lithium Hosting, I think I signed up for a 30 day trial when I first bought the domain but got sidetracked and never set anything up.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

TopherCStone posted:

Yeah I'm not planning on anything too elaborate and I'm pleased with what I was able to come up with in just plain CSS/HTML. I was actually thinking of Lithium Hosting, I think I signed up for a 30 day trial when I first bought the domain but got sidetracked and never set anything up.

Hostgator will work good for you I guess. They have a very quick response time and I never had problems with them over 3 years. We do have a webhosting service that offers discounts for goons in this section I think, some people say it's even better than Host Gator so you might give it a try

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
don't use hostgator

especially after the sale

DarkLotus posted:

This is 100% good advice. poo poo, just don't use wordpress unless you know what you're doing. Even then, you still have a 50/50 chance of getting e-raped by a malicious user.

my favourite are completely unnecessary and bizarre things like a plugin that 'only' adds google analyticsphoning home and adding backlinks to the footer

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Someone actually recommending Hostgator? Hmm yes I hear Bounceweb is pretty good too.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Biowarfare posted:

my favourite are completely unnecessary and bizarre things like a plugin that 'only' adds google analyticsphoning home and adding backlinks to the footer

TimThumb.php.

It's like herpes. It's everywhere, you can't get rid of it, and it'll cause endless problems!

Oh, and it's EOL so no more patches and it's STILL in zillions of themes and plugins.

And I'm not sure WHY you need it. Wordpress has the functionality built in.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

cstine posted:

TimThumb.php.

It's like herpes. It's everywhere, you can't get rid of it, and it'll cause endless problems!

Oh, and it's EOL so no more patches and it's STILL in zillions of themes and plugins.

And I'm not sure WHY you need it. Wordpress has the functionality built in.

... and it still insisted on using the "DOCUMENT_ROOT" server variable when storing thumbs. If you used mod_rewrite to serve content from another location, it altogether ignored WordPress requiring custom patches.

:suicide:

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

DNova posted:

Someone actually recommending Hostgator? Hmm yes I hear Bounceweb is pretty good too.

Yep and network solutions is the best cheapest place to buy a .com domain name!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

NyxBiker posted:

Hostgator will work good for you I guess.

No it won't. This is bad advice. I know first hand, because I am a current HostGator client :smith:

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

I just discovered my hosting company stores their passwords in plain-text. I figured it when they had a 12 character limit on their password reset form. If anyone here is Irish, avoid Digiweb. And if anyone knows any good .ie domain registrars, I'd appreciate info (Register365 are also crap, and I used to dislike Blacknight).

If anyone wants to help give Digiweb a scare, you can retweet this: https://twitter.com/BBrian1/status/570733699337224192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

The most well known companies on the accredited list are probably instra.com, MelbourneIT, and key-systems (rrproxy/domaindiscount24)

gandi.net also sell them for €88/year

Didn't realise .ie was so expensive