Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Sauer posted:

I haven't been playing BMS or DCS at all for the past few weeks because of a new "F2P" flight/tanking obsession that some Finnish ex-patriot who shall remain nameless got me hooked on; but the Mig-21 BIS is probably the highest quality 3rd party addon for DCS that's available. Its also total hoot to fly.

How do you get hooked on this, I've found gently caress all for simulator battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

How do you get hooked on this, I've found gently caress all for simulator battles.

You get get hooked on it when you realize it's not a simulator and just play arcade or historical so you can shoot down other scrubs.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Unofficial Poll: Would you play a study-sim, based on a fictional plane(s)?

Say if a game presented a near-future fighter, with a "realistic" flight profile and capabilities, but not strictly locked to a plane that currently exists, and a level of detail rivaling BMS or DCS, with study-sim systems complexity (i.e., not "push button to kill bad guy"), would you play it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

EpicPhoton posted:

Say if a game presented a near-future fighter, with a "realistic" flight profile and capabilities, but not strictly locked to a plane that currently exists, and a level of detail rivaling BMS or DCS, with study-sim systems complexity (i.e., not "push button to kill bad guy"), would you play it?

Wouldn't really grab my attention. A big part of the enjoyment of detailed sims is knowing the history and importance of an aircraft. There are just certain fighters I love (BF-109, SU-27, F15, F-16), whether it be looks or how superior/insane it was vs it's contemporaries.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Are there any SR-71 sims out there?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

EpicPhoton posted:

I wouldn't. For me the appeal is learning what real pilots have to learn, whether it's "playing the piccolo" in the Viper or Hog, or memorizing the 10,000 toggle switches that surround you in the MiG 21. Creating that level of complexity from scratch for a fictional plane would just seem arbitrary make-work to me.

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 22, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

EpicPhoton posted:

No, for the same reasons as above. The fact that this stuff is real is a major part of the draw.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

EpicPhoton posted:

If it was good, yes, because there's a dearth of sims with good gameplay. I'd still prefer a real plane in the real world though.

Or gently caress, alternatively go hog wild with the scifi. Air war among the aerostat islands and zeppelins of a far future Venus.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 22, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EpicPhoton posted:

I didn't know Chris Roberts had an account.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Would I play a game based on fictional stuff with system fidelity like DCS with clickable cockpits and stuff?

Hell no.

Would I play something like Crimson Skies but with a level of realism akin to Battle of Stalingrad?

gently caress yes.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
give me a clickable cockpit Ace Combat game and I'd be all over that poo poo.

Ichbinuber
Feb 3, 2014

EpicPhoton posted:

Nope.
What would be more interesting is a greater variety of aircraft, multi-seat, swing wings, carrier ops, to name a few. I think the aircraft need to be known and desired, like the Spitfire or F-111, I will throw handfuls of cash at a study-sim for these aircraft.

I think the key is passion, flying is a passion and you yern to fly is certain planes that get etched into your mind when your young. They can be unreliable pigs and down right lovely aircraft, but you don't care.

I still remember my first airshow and a the F-111 flew right overhead that roar went right through me, and I still remember that to this day.

I guess what I'm saying is I want to fly a pretend F-111 buzzing pretend children at airshows/war zones possibly in Georgia and trying not to get shot down by some face rolling F-15 pilot @30k ft with a full AIM-120 load. Also I want a Spitfire.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

EpicPhoton posted:

Just let me mess around with the Mave and I'd be golden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXadee4y5PQ

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you are going to go future-tech then that puts you in sci-fi territory and gives you carte-blanche to do interesting stuff. Posit a 80 year future where material revolutions make radar missiles obsolete and you have a generation of advanced fighters that are back to having to dogfight each other.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Ichbinuber posted:

Nope.
What would be more interesting is a greater variety of aircraft, multi-seat, swing wings, carrier ops, to name a few. I think the aircraft need to be known and desired, like the Spitfire or F-111, I will throw handfuls of cash at a study-sim for these aircraft.

I think the key is passion, flying is a passion and you yern to fly is certain planes that get etched into your mind when your young. They can be unreliable pigs and down right lovely aircraft, but you don't care.

I still remember my first airshow and a the F-111 flew right overhead that roar went right through me, and I still remember that to this day.

I guess what I'm saying is I want to fly a pretend F-111 buzzing pretend children at airshows/war zones possibly in Georgia and trying not to get shot down by some face rolling F-15 pilot @30k ft with a full AIM-120 load. Also I want a Spitfire.

What this man said, I love 60-70s era aircraft because they're fast, loud and existed in a time where missile kills weren't a forgone conclusion. Thats why I love the pain of flying the mig21 up against the 4th gens in DCS.

Also, if you're looking for a DCS level spit simulation. Look no further than IL2 cliffs of dover with the ATAG patch. Its quite good now and they have a very active online community with a battle of britain server that is stable with 50 some odd people in it.

Ninja edit: and to answer the question, Yes I would totally play a fake simulator with complex and coherent systems and rulesets. I'd love a DCS:Mechwarrior.

Skoll posted:

Are there any SR-71 sims out there?

X-Plane 9 and 10 both have a flyable SR71 with clickable cockpit. Its not DCS level since the INS doesn't work to my knowledge and You can't really fly correct mission profiles with it given that theres no inflight refueling. But if you wan't to fly Mach 3 in a sim that does high altitude/high speed pretty well then X-plane is your best bet.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 22, 2015

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

A clickable crimson skies would own.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Give me a clickable F-14 with carrier ops and I'll never fly anything else. One can only dream :(

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
my first airshow they had the f-14's playing over toronto, climbing up to almost a stall and letting them fall over the city going into burner for about 20 mins. i was like 5. Another airshow I went to in hamilton, ontario had a 4 ship of usaf reserve f-4's do a formation takeoff, and two did a 700mph pass at 50feet over the taxiway about 200ft from the crowd. it was the most epic thing i had ever seen when i was like 9 yrs old, and i still remember my chest pounding from it. old people were losing their poo poo, babies were crying, people covering their ears from how loud it was.

when i was 14 i caught a ride in the back of a hornet from comox, bc back to cold lake. ride of a loving lifetime, especially going from 10k to 30k feet in a heartbeat.

sometimes the older poo poo and even some of the stuff they have done during the cold war may never be repeated. If it did anything, it definitely drove technology to advance and push things beyond the limits of imagination at times

Ichbinuber
Feb 3, 2014

Also, if you're looking for a DCS level spit simulation. Look no further than IL2 cliffs of dover with the ATAG patch. Its quite good now and they have a very active online community with a battle of britain server that is stable with 50 some odd people in it.

Thanks I'll check it out once I have a reliable internet connection again.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

IL2 cliffs of dover ... quite good

I found the lie in your post

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Kilonum posted:

I found the lie in your post

Well, they fixed it after 4 versions of patches later. I've never had an issue with it past version 4 of the ATAG patch.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I'd play the crap out of a detailed, realistic flight sim that wasn't shackled by needing to match some arbitrary real-world model. It's something I've wanted for ages. Imagine what could be accomplished if instead of spending months researching what exactly some particular aircraft did, the developers just picked something reasonable and spent the rest of the time on gameplay!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah I'd play the hell out of a plausible future simulator.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

EpicPhoton posted:

Definitely. It would need a good hook though. For DCS, its that you can pick up chicks by telling them you can probably fly a real fighter jet.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Then suddenly pull 5Gs and your untrained, acclimated brain goes lights out and you decorate the terrain with goon bits.

Ichbinuber
Feb 3, 2014
Fortunately most girls won't know that, if they do thier either a guy or a pilot and one of those is most likely out of our league.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wh1plash posted:

when i was 14 i caught a ride in the back of a hornet from comox, bc back to cold lake. ride of a loving lifetime, especially going from 10k to 30k feet in a heartbeat.

Whoa whoa whoa. Who do I have to murder to get THAT childhood?

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Who do I have to murder to get THAT childhood?

Visit relatives in the military and get slipped under the radar :P

Edit: the ride out sucked, was in a C-130

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Wh1plash posted:

Edit: the ride out sucked, was in a C-130

Oh boo frickin' hoo. :colbert:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DCS: F-14 with Goons is going to be loving legendary when it comes out after most of us are dead.

Inter-cockpit feuding will be loving great.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

DCS: F-14 with Goons is going to be loving legendary when it comes out after most of us are dead.

Inter-cockpit feuding will be loving great.

Did Leatherneck finally get off their asses and officially announce it?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

McDeth posted:

Did Leatherneck finally get off their asses and officially announce it?

Nope. They did tease the February update, which has 48 hours or so before it's late. :rolleyes:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
The MiG-15bis was just released, but only on ED's website. Can I activate all of my steam modules in the ED downloaded client?

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Welp, DCS World Newsletter February 2015 has been released! No real surprises here except for the next WWII planes they're working on are the P-47 and the Spitfire.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=139694

HypeTrain posted:

DCS World 1.2.15 and MiG-15bis!
Both DCS World 1.2.15 and DCS: MiG-15bis are now available.
You can download DCS World 1.2.15 using the automatic updater or download the installer files here. DCS: MiG-15bis can be purchased from DCS E-shop. DCS: MiG-15bis product page. We also have a series of videos to help you get started with the MiG-15bis here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLghf-HEzcSh3gZOab4nLZpw-f-OTGOknR[1]

DCS World 2
We are nearing a point where DCS World 2 will be available for a public, alpha release. The primary work remains with sorting out some issues with the unified .exe (no longer will the front end and simulation end operate as two separate exe). We have also been using this time to give mission builders better control of AI weapon jettison, afterburner use, and restrictions of when they can attack air and ground targets. Now that the 1.2.15 update is released, the team will be focused on final testing and preparing DCS World 2 (and the NTTR map) for its debut.
DCS: Nevada Test and Training Map

The actual art construction (elevation mesh and textures) of this map is more-or-less done with the remaining work being performance optimization and getting the AI units to operate within the map correctly (such as airfield taxi operations). As with DCS World 2, once 1.2.15 is released, this map will be the focus of testing to get it ready for its alpha, public release.
In parallel with the new map, Red Flag campaigns for the F-15C and A-10C are in active development.

DCS: L-39 Albatros
The next aircraft to be released by Eagle Dynamics will be the L-39C and the L-39ZA. Both aircraft are in a later stage of development with most of the work now focused on the various cockpit systems and flight dynamics. This will be a fully-realized module with mouse-interactive cockpit and professional flight model. Although it will not be available at launch, two-players in the same aircraft is planned for the L-39. We see this as an important feature, not just for the L-39, but other current and future DCS modules.

DCS: P-47D Thunderbolt
The next World War II aircraft for DCS World will be the Thunderbolt. As you can see by the images in this newsletter, the cockpit is quite far along and overall project status is moving along nicely. Once the Bf 109 K-4 is out of beta (good progress as you can see in the 1.2.15 preliminary change log), progress on this module will further accelerate.

DCS: Spitfire IX
Following the Thunderbolt, the next of our World War II aircraft will be the glorious Spitfire IX. While not as far along as the Thunderbolt, aspects of it are underway as evidenced by the early cockpit renders seen in this newsletter

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet
No, it’s not a myth. Work on the Hornet continues with great progress on the air-to-surface radar. The real beam mapping mode is just about done, and once complete, the team will start work on the various sub-modes. This has been a critical new technology that had to be developed from scratch for this project.
Included in this newsletter is the current status of the 6 DOF cockpit. It is still very much a work-in-progress but project development is now accelerating.

Hawk for DCS World
We are working closely with VEAO Simulations on preparing the Hawk for sale on the DCS e-shop. There have been a few remaining bugs that need to be resolved, but once complete, the module will be available from the DCS e-shop. In the meantime, you can download the VEAO installer here.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

The MiG-15bis was just released, but only on ED's website. Can I activate all of my steam modules in the ED downloaded client?

Unfortunately no. You can only go from ED -> Steam, not from Steam -> ED. After playing DCS for a long time I came to the realization that the only real advantage of Steam over ED is the download speed of the Client. Literally everything else goes to the standalone client from ED.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

McDeth posted:

Unfortunately no. You can only go from ED -> Steam, not from Steam -> ED. After playing DCS for a long time I came to the realization that the only real advantage of Steam over ED is the download speed of the Client. Literally everything else goes to the standalone client from ED.

Pretty sure you got that reversed. I bought some DCS packs on Steam during the holidays and had no issues with transferring it to the ED client.

quote:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=113587

Can I activate my DCS World Module purchased on steam on DCS World Standalone(Non-Steam)?

Yes, you will simply need to retrieve your serial key which can be found within your steam library and right-clicking on DCS World -> "View CD Key" then use this serial key to authenticate your module on DCS World.

Another way to view your cd-key is by simply by clicking the "CD-Key" link on the right side menu displayed after clicking DCS World within your library as SkateZilla mentioned

Can I use my modules purchased from ED Store on Steam?

Note: from 06/07/2014, License Keys purchased from ED, Gamefly or other External Sources will no longer activate on Steam.

See:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...02#post2085202

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yes, you can put all keys into the activate module option of the ED version main menu. The steam version lacks an option to manually activate things, and so can only use steam purchased modules. Just use the ED version.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Bolow posted:

Pretty sure you got that reversed. I bought some DCS packs on Steam during the holidays and had no issues with transferring it to the ED client.

ya I did get it backwards. Still though...the only reason to use steam is because it downloads faster.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Welp, time to fire up that F86 again. Bout time it had someone to play with

Mig 21 can at least play with the large quantity of brain dead 4th gen pilots.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
So Leatherneck finally posted their "Februarmarch" update. The TLDR part:

"Leatherneck posted:

Currently, we hope to release two aircraft during the course of 2015. As usual, everything is subject to change, but as we become more experienced, we are able to better gauge our progress and remaining workload.
The aforementioned project management and structure changes play a part in this as well. All indications point to two Leatherneck releases this year.
I do not think you will be disappointed in the aircraft on offer.

That just leaves the elephant in the room.

The answer is Monday.

We will announce one of our new, advanced modules on Monday. Apologies to those of you who have spent half the night up mashing your F5 key, but we need the extra day to facilitate the creation of our announcement materials.
For those of you with sharpened pitchforks; there are free sausages in the fridge and I see you've already started a sizeable fire. Just grab a seat until Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

ZekeNY posted:

So Leatherneck finally posted their "Februarmarch" update. The TLDR part:

Its going to be an F4U corsair, so don't get your hopes up for a tomcat.

Also, Thank the eagle dynamics for finally fixing the spawn troops so I have a reason to fly choppers in multiplayer again. Also, gently caress eagle dynamics for breaking it in the first place and waiting months to fix it instead of making a quick hotfix.

assholes.