Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chimeric posted:

Is it these? http://pldh.net/gallery/the493

(Link to the Gen V guys up in the first paragraph)

Man a lot of those are so bad but that Haunter

love that Haunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Chimeric posted:

Is it these? http://pldh.net/gallery/the493

(Link to the Gen V guys up in the first paragraph)

Here's someone who seems to be continuing the work. Don't know if its the same artist. https://pokewalls.wordpress.com/tag/gen-vi/

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Did we ever found out what was the deal with the locked power plants in XY?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Pokemon Art Academy is a cool and/or good game. I have always considered myself incapable of producing visual art despite being married to an artist who tells me all the time that Anyone Can Draw. After using construction shapes to build an outline and draw my first Charmander I really do feel like I can draw, or at least like I can learn to draw. It's a neat feeling. Sorry, back to arguing about pokemon formats

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
What are the tiers like in Pokémon Art Academy? Smeargle has to be Uber

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

less laughter posted:

The two aren't mutually exclusive, kids are smarter than you think. A lot of 10- to 12-year-olds are really into competitive Pokémon from what I gather on sites like Smogon and tales from my young cousin who is around that age. Sometimes they know more about it and are more skilled at it than grown-up players do.

I don't know, every sperg/rager I ever met was definitely on the older side. Though to be fair Battle Spot and Showdown bring out the worst in people.

qnqnx posted:

video games at all were intended for children

children's video game just sounds funnier though

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

MTV Crib Death posted:

Here's someone who seems to be continuing the work. Don't know if its the same artist. https://pokewalls.wordpress.com/tag/gen-vi/

yeah this needs to be my phone background:

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

forbidden lesbian posted:

love that Haunter

Haunter has been one of my favorites since the beginning and I used that wallpaper at work for a long while. My email address has been "haunt3r@[wherever]" since 1998, dated 1337-speak reference and all. It's actually really hard for me to type "Haunter" because I automatically spell it with a "3."

e: I may need to seek help.

The Wild Man of YOLO fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 25, 2015

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Theta Zero posted:

Am I the only one who really likes triples? I mean, it's a downright mess and all strategy just flies out the window, but it's still really fun and pretty amusing watching half of your team work in tandem.

Triples is pretty sweet. There's plenty of skill/strategy while teambuilding, and battles are super fast. It's also cool to battle people who try to use their singles team and destroy them with things like wide guard/helping hand/etc.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Lhet posted:

Triples is pretty sweet. There's plenty of skill/strategy while teambuilding, and battles are super fast. It's also cool to battle people who try to use their singles team and destroy them with things like wide guard/helping hand/etc.

I play triples in the Battle Maison. I have Talonflame and Noivern on the end and a Tyrantrum in the middle ready to Earthquake or Rockslide. Backups are Heliolisk, Azumarril and Gourgeist.

I haven't gotten very far with it, but it's still a really fun team to play.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
you have run out of posting hearts, would you like to buy more

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Nessa posted:

I play triples in the Battle Maison. I have Talonflame and Noivern on the end and a Tyrantrum in the middle ready to Earthquake or Rockslide. Backups are Heliolisk, Azumarril and Gourgeist.

I haven't gotten very far with it, but it's still a really fun team to play.

Triples is definitely the best for BP. I'm at around 76 wins in XY with my team: M-Kangaskhan+Volcarona+Mienshao front, Garchomp+Rotom-W+Scrafty in back. Turn 1 is Fake Out+ Quiver dance+Fake Out, then Kangaskhan Power-Up Punches, Volcarona Heat Waves, Mienshao U-turns into something else, and so on. It's actually a rather flawed team (Volcarona is a bit too weak to random stuff that shows up, Mienshao never really kills anything, no real abuse of the format/AI), but it got me the medal and plenty of BP.

On another note I've been messing around with singles. Been using this core:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers - Gyro Ball, Power Whip, Leech Seed, Stealth Rock
Slowbro @ Broite - Calm Mind, Slack off, Scald, Psyshock
Vaporeon @ Leftovers- Scald, Heal Bell, Wish, Roar (or maybe Toxic/protect)
Landorus-T @ Choice Band- Earthquake, Stone Edge, U-Turn, Superpower
In the other 2 slots I've tried Magnezone (Either amazing or awful), Starmie (spins rapidly but is yet another water), Gliscor (Awesome but same typing as Landorus and bad with heal bell), Heatran (should be probably be core, but haven't played much with it), Scizor (Cool in theory but haven't found a really good set yet).
Despite it being a cool pokemon I'm beginning to feel Vaporeon is somewhat a weak link. What really ends up killing it is HP Ice, as it prevents any momentum from being gained by grounding an electric attack. Any other thoughts on what would be good?

Lhet fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 25, 2015

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

So I figured out what every "Pikachu spinoff" in other gens shows as a new add-on.

Pikachu: chu.
Raichu: stone evolution, Gen1. (Also being ignored forever.)
Pichu: Babymaking, Gen 2.
Plusle and Minun: New! Double Battles, Gen 3.
Pachirisu: New! sexual dimorphism, Gen 4.
Emolga: New! Shaking Grass finds, Gen 5.
Dedenne: New! Fairy Type, Gen 6.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nethilia posted:

But Pachirisu doesn't have any gender differences, does it?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

less laughter posted:

But Pachirisu doesn't have any gender differences, does it?

It does, just one of the lovely nearly unnoticeable ones.

The male has a slightly longer blue stripe on its forehead. :effort:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It was cool for that gen, but Gen 5 and 6 have only introduced gender differences if they're hugely noticeable. Unfezant, Jellicent, Meowstic, but there's no longer any subtle differences, unless it's a single pixel or polygon, like Torchic and we haven't noticed. :v:

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Zore posted:

It does, just one of the lovely nearly unnoticeable ones.

The male has a slightly longer blue stripe on its forehead. :effort:

Pretty much. Terrible, but there.

I just wasted five hearts trying to catch Wash Rotom on Shuffle. That fucker broke out of a Great Ball. :suicide:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Just beat the main mode in Shuffle.

Total playtime: 16h 46min
Total money spent: 0€

I'd say this was a much better investment than Trozei/Link.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nethilia posted:

So I figured out what every "Pikachu spinoff" in other gens shows as a new add-on.

Pikachu: chu.
Raichu: stone evolution, Gen1. (Also being ignored forever.)
Pichu: Babymaking, Gen 2.
Plusle and Minun: New! Double Battles, Gen 3.
Emolga: New! Shaking Grass finds, Gen 5.
Dedenne: New! Fairy Type, Gen 6.

I'm hoping that the next model of Pikaclone gets to evolve into something that isn't terrible. As of now, Emolga is the best and that's mostly because it's just annoying.

I'm sure they could go down the Marrill route and make it evolve into a slightly bigger plush toy so it stays marketable. Like if Raichu, but not a pariah for daring to grow up.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Nethilia posted:

I just wasted five hearts trying to catch Wash Rotom on Shuffle. That fucker broke out of a Great Ball. :suicide:

I got irritated because I wasted ten hearts, it would keep breaking out even with 47-53% chances. I know, statistics and all, but it really was frustrating, and I'm trying to save my coins for later stuff.

Crosspeice posted:

It was cool for that gen, but Gen 5 and 6 have only introduced gender differences if they're hugely noticeable. Unfezant, Jellicent, Meowstic, but there's no longer any subtle differences, unless it's a single pixel or polygon, like Torchic and we haven't noticed. :v:

I like the gender differences but stuff like "slightly larger fangs on Golbat" or "slightly larger stinger on Beedrill" is pretty lame since it's barely noticeable. Of course yeah, Torchic is the worst example of the lot. I still have no idea how anyone even noticed that, were people really staring that hard at Torchic's rear end?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Twelve by Pies posted:

I got irritated because I wasted ten hearts, it would keep breaking out even with 47-53% chances. I know, statistics and all, but it really was frustrating, and I'm trying to save my coins for later stuff.

I like the gender differences but stuff like "slightly larger fangs on Golbat" or "slightly larger stinger on Beedrill" is pretty lame since it's barely noticeable. Of course yeah, Torchic is the worst example of the lot. I still have no idea how anyone even noticed that, were people really staring that hard at Torchic's rear end?

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't noticed until someone ripped the raw data from the cartridge and saw there were both male and female sprites for Torchic in the game data.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

why do people hate raichu so much anyway

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

love that Haunter

Thanks.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

corn in the bible posted:

People don't hate Raichu. Game Freak/Nintendo marketing hates Raichu for daring to not be Pikachu.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

corn in the bible posted:

Ugly design, personally.

Also Pikachu's Atk and Sp Atk are higher than Raichu, so LOL

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
Last I checked, 90/90 is higher than 55/50.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I believe he's counting the Light Ball.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pikachu (and not Raichu) can hold a Light Ball to get 110/100. Gamefreak's way of saying "sorry about Raichu - just keep it Pikachu"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pikachu (and not Raichu) can hold a Light Ball to get 110/100. Gamefreak's way of saying "sorry about Raichu - just keep it Pikachu"

Light Ball actually does more than that, holding it is equivalent to having roughly 150ish/150ish depending on nature. Mostly because base stats scale sort of weirdly.

Doubling your actual Attack/Special Attack makes Pikachu more powerful than almost any pokemon with the Light Ball. Like Pikachu's max 229 attack becomes 458 which is more than Mewtwo's Special attack, 447, which is base 154.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 25, 2015

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ugly design, personally.

This is wrong. Raichu is way more adorable than Pikachu.

Raichu needs more love.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Of course yeah, Torchic is the worst example of the lot. I still have no idea how anyone even noticed that, were people really staring that hard at Torchic's rear end?

I think it's actually a pretty clever reference to the difficulty in determining the sex of chicks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah I like Raichu's design a lot, but I guess if its just straight up worse then that sucks

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Raichu gets used in doubles sometimes for Fake Out/fast Encore/uh Nuzzle I guess/Lightningrod but it isn't really the best at any of those. Oh well

oddium fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 25, 2015

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Way back in Pokemon silver I had a Ledian I remember using for a large part of the game. I thought it was a pretty cool bro at the time, but looking back, holy crap he's one of the worst pokemon and I was a bad person for using him at all.

His hidden ability boosts punching moves, none of which can get STAB or work with his abysmal attack stat. :(

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Guys it is important to take a moment every now and then to remember that Scrafty is just the best Pokemon.

Hail Scrafty!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

oddium posted:

Raichu gets used in doubles sometimes for Fake Out/fast Encore/uh Nuzzle I guess/Lightningrod but it isn't really the best at any of those. Oh well

Raichu has the niche of being the fastet Pokemon to know Fake Out/Encore. That is useful at times.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I wouldn't say Raichu is really worse (Light Ball Pikachu is a glass cannon with nonexistent defenses and minimal movepool), but it's definitely been neglected. Pikachu has gotten all sorts of gimmicks and enhancements to encourage people to use it despite its terribleness, but Raichu is still its same old mediocre self left behind by the power creep (its stats are about on par with Electabuzz and Venomoth), and everyone knows it's never going to get anything to fix that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
One day Raichu will get an evolution, and it will be evolving into Pikachu.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I just want Gamefreak to throw physical Electric Types a bone and make Volt Tackle more available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

At least give it to Rotom

• Locked thread