Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They haven't even suggested there will be any more DLC packs after that one.

Hunh I guess not, I had it in my head that they had four packs slated from the start for some reason. Well poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think you're thinking of Hyrule Warriors.

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009

jivjov posted:

You literally had to press a button that said you agreed to be shown ads while the gamepad is idle.

I'm not sure if it works differently if you had a WiiU before they added the gamepad ads, but if you're setting up a new console now, it definitely does not have a button. It just has a message telling you that there will be ads on the gamepad, no options involved.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am like 99% sure i had to opt into it when i set mine up in december. it was when they were asking if i wanted to use the quick launch thing i think.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm really sure I agreed to this and I set my WiiU up on Saturday.

Also:

Do you unlock different poo poo for doing MK8 circuits at higher CCs? I suck rear end so I'm just starting at 50cc local and I'm winning every race by like a full minute so I'm pretty sure I can step it up, but is there any 50cc specific stuff that I'll miss out on if I just abandon halfway through?

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009
I set mine up just last week, and was specifically looking out for it because I'd heard about this before, and I definitely got no choice. The only things I could press on that screen were just the "Continue" and "Back" buttons.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Martytoof posted:

Also:

Do you unlock different poo poo for doing MK8 circuits at higher CCs? I suck rear end so I'm just starting at 50cc local and I'm winning every race by like a full minute so I'm pretty sure I can step it up, but is there any 50cc specific stuff that I'll miss out on if I just abandon halfway through?

You unlock mirror mode by getting a gold trophy in every non-DLC 150cc track.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rixaxun posted:

I set mine up just last week, and was specifically looking out for it because I'd heard about this before, and I definitely got no choice. The only things I could press on that screen were just the "Continue" and "Back" buttons.

you have to decide if you even want the quick launch thing on before you would get that screen and it definitely asks you about that

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If you can't laugh at MK8 online sometimes just absolutely bending you over and having its way with you then you don't get Mario Kart. I can't even count the times I've gone from 1st to last in 5s and I just giggle like a nutball cause there's literally nothing you can do about it (cause gently caress knows I do it to others all the time :getin:)

Zelda chat: I never got TP honestly and it took me over a year to finally slug out finishing it. It was excessively samey to OoT and....meh. Lots of meh. I never even bothered with Skyward Sword after seeing the first 30 minutes and groaning at the "lets keep you in your tutorial pen forever again" aspect after dealing with the hours of it in TP. So if you're not digging some of the later zeldas then it's not just you, there's something about them that isn't quite as charming as the others.

That said play Between Words as it is awesome and everything that makes me happy about Zelda games.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Martytoof posted:

Also:

IIRC unlocks are based on the coins you get in races, you hit a certain amount of coins and something in the locked pool gets unlocked, difficulty doesn't matter. Except for the mirror mode as previously stated.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Martytoof posted:

Also:

Nope, although I think 50cc is best for kids to get used to, 100cc is probably best for beginners, if only for insurance from items. Any ranking you get on a higher difficulty cup will transfer over to the lower difficulty as well (So getting Gold 3 Stars on 150cc will also get you Gold 3 Stars on 100cc and 50cc) Mirror is counted separately from 50/100/150cc so it won't do that.

50cc is nice if you want an almost brain dead experience to unlock the characters or get their Miiverse Stamps, since getting first in any cup at any difficulty will unlock a character.

If I remember correctly, the other unlockables are:

Secret Characters: Place first on any cup at any difficulty to unlock one of the characters at random.
Kart Parts: Unlocked by getting coins, stop around the 2000 coin mark.
Mirror Mode: Get 1st in every 150 cc Cup.

Gold Kart: Get at least 1 star in every cup at every difficulty (So only 150 and Mirror)
Gold Tires: Beat every staff ghost.
Gold Glider: Get 10000 coins total. (You get coins faster in multiplayer, since everyone is collecting them)

Character Miiverse Stamps: Place first on any cup at any difficulty to get a stamp as the character you played as.
Course Miiverse Stamps: Beat the staff ghost on a course to get that course's stamp.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Replaying Super Mario World not long after playing New Super Mario Bros U has me reaching for the shoulder button to do the little twirl.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

raditts posted:

Not until the finish line is within view, at which point you will be hit with everything from everyone at the same time and wind up in 6th or 7th.

Sometimes this happens to you, other times you do this to someone else. That's Mario Kart. If you don't enjoy this, try Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, it has more of an emphasis on skill and is just as much fun as MK8.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does Bayonetta 2 on the store come with Bayo 1? I ask cause its 10 bucks cheaper digital than physical which is pretty rare.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Does Bayonetta 2 on the store come with Bayo 1? I ask cause its 10 bucks cheaper digital than physical which is pretty rare.

Buying one gives you a discount on the other that brings the total to $60, I think. Also they're both fairly large in terms of file-size just fyi

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Twilight Princess had caused me to quit playing Zelda games. Wind Waker HD got me back into the Zelda series. It's really good, get the fast sail asap. Hyrule Warriors is fun but not for everyone. Watch a few videos of gameplay, that helped push me into getting it.

I know it's not the meat and potatoes of the game but I beat Hyrule Warrior's Legend mode in less time than it took me to be Zelda 2. (about 11 hours vs 12) I thought that was kind of funny. Hyrule Warriors is a way better game than Zelda 2.

I'm doing it wrong aren't I?
I played and finished Ocarina and Majora with a walkthrough on an emulator long ago but other than that I never really got into Zelda that much.
I played Wind Waker for a bit with the misses, but it stalled when we had to move house. It sits there taunting me to finish it. And I really want to finish it because it's a very charming game.
But I am currently 5 hours in in Twilight Princess and saving stupid monkeys in a dead tree. I´m currently enjoying it at least, even if Midna is annoying. But I have to say, for Nintendo standards the art direction is really quite weak.

I´ve never seen ads on my gamepad, nor do I remember any buttons relating to it.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Darth TNT posted:

I´m currently enjoying it at least, even if Midna is annoying.
If you think Midna is annoying, never play Skyward Sword.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Have some adorable Bowser :3:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Darth TNT posted:

I´ve never seen ads on my gamepad, nor do I remember any buttons relating to it.

It's an opt-in feature. When it was first rolled out, the system asked you "hey would you like promotional notifications to pop up on the gamepad sometimes?" Every so often someone comes in here complaining that the completely voluntary feature that they agreed too is just sooooo sinister.

Not sure if it's more or less amusing than the people who weren't receiving promotional emails from Nintendo getting bent out of shape about not getting the promotional email containing Smash Bros demo codes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

If you think Midna is annoying, never play Skyward Sword.
That's next on the list provided I don't get a Zelda burnout. :suicide:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

If any Zelda game might cause burnout, it's Twilight Princess

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LethalGeek posted:

If you can't laugh at MK8 online sometimes just absolutely bending you over and having its way with you then you don't get Mario Kart. I can't even count the times I've gone from 1st to last in 5s and I just giggle like a nutball cause there's literally nothing you can do about it (cause gently caress knows I do it to others all the time :getin:)

This is truly the best way to enjoy a MK game.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Martytoof posted:

Also:

On top of what the others have said, whatever ranking you get on 100cc or 150cc will be given on the lower classes also. So there's really no need to play 50cc, you'll get gold and 3 stars on all the 50cc cups by getting those rankings on higher classes.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Darth TNT posted:

Well.

Okay, so I don't know exactly why you got annoyed by Midna since she's one of the best characters in Twilight Princess, but if it has anything at all to do with her role as the game's exposition fairy companion, just know that Skyward Sword features the absolute worst version of that role in all of the Zelda series. I hope you enjoy being told things you knew five dungeons ago!

Other than that, Skyward Sword is a great game and well worth playing, but given what you said about your prior Zelda playing, it's probably not going to do much for you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KennyMan666 posted:

Well.

Okay, so I don't know exactly why you got annoyed by Midna since she's one of the best characters in Twilight Princess, but if it has anything at all to do with her role as the game's exposition fairy companion, just know that Skyward Sword features the absolute worst version of that role in all of the Zelda series. I hope you enjoy being told things you knew five dungeons ago!

"Master, there is a 95% certainty that I am repeating what someone else told you not two minutes ago, every time someone tells you something of importance." :ghost:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'll say this for Fi, though: She's awesome in Hyrule Warriors.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I did not find Midna to be annoying at all. Stating the obvious is par for the course in most Zelda games and Nintendo games in general.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fi is annoying, yea, but Skyward Sword has probably the best dungeon and puzzle design of the 3d games.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I like it when the "helper fairy" characters are more sarcastic.

"Press R to raise your shield!... you moron"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Fi is also the worst character in Hyrule Warriors, so it's good to know a tradition has been established.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Oxxidation posted:

Fi is also the worst character in Hyrule Warriors, so it's good to know a tradition has been established.

I'm pretty sure Agitha takes that spot if you're talking about gameplay.

At least with Fi I can hit the clowns who run behind me, Agitha's slow as poo poo and fast jerks like Poes and Dinolfos ruin her.

Looper posted:

If any Zelda game might cause burnout, it's Twilight Princess

I know I got burned out on losing my save data like twice, having to redo the opening Ordon bullshit is boring and having to do the Twilight bug hunts is worse than that.

But I finally beat it on Sunday. Got awesome near the end but its definitely a big empty world with some stuff tossed in and its incredibly easy if long. Too bad it started the what looks to be coming trend of "You got a Blue Rupee! Its worth 5 Rupees! Don't spend it all in one place!" every time you boot the game back up regardless if you're over halfway through or whatever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'm pretty sure Agitha takes that spot if you're talking about gameplay.

At least with Fi I can hit the clowns who run behind me, Agitha's slow as poo poo and fast jerks like Poes and Dinolfos ruin her.

Agitha's a juggling, trap-laying beast and her butterfly bodyslams wreak havoc on crowds even if her giggling gets on my nerves. There are passing gnats that hit harder than Fi, and her charge gimmick is horrible to boot.

Fi is just the worst everywhere.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you want to feel awful about yourself then get a piano jet black WiiU and marvel at how many fingerprints you leave on the controller. Nothing will make you OCD about washing your hands faster.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I like it when the "helper fairy" characters are more sarcastic.

"Press R to raise your shield!... you moron"

Tatl is the best fairy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Simply replacing they "HEY! LISTEN!" with Tinkerbell like jingles goes such a long way in making the character likable.

Proxii is the best fairy though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked Proxii a lot, she's rather self-aware and I enjoy her dynamic with Link, if you can call it that.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

I said come in! posted:

How do power ups in Mario Kart 8 work? It's frustrating going through the single player and feeling like the game actively punishes you for doing good.

Yep, I just started playing Mario Kart last week and I like the Sonic Racing Wii U game much better. In Mario Kart...one of two things will happen while playing against the AI. You will either have to dodge 2-3 attacks the last half of the last lap when you are in first place which is usually unlikely since 1-2 of those are going to be first place shells, or the game selects one AI driver to blow you out at the beginning of the race and your only chance is to get lucky with attacks.

It's funny because everyone complained how hard the AI was in the Sonic racing game, but I found I could outperform the AI with skill in that game. I just wish all games like this would put in an option to turn off the AI comeback bullshit.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

katkillad2 posted:

Yep, I just started playing Mario Kart last week and I like the Sonic Racing Wii U game much better. In Mario Kart...one of two things will happen while playing against the AI. You will either have to dodge 2-3 attacks the last half of the last lap when you are in first place which is usually unlikely since 1-2 of those are going to be first place shells, or the game selects one AI driver to blow you out at the beginning of the race and your only chance is to get lucky with attacks.

It's funny because everyone complained how hard the AI was in the Sonic racing game, but I found I could outperform the AI with skill in that game. I just wish all games like this would put in an option to turn off the AI comeback bullshit.

The flipside is, Sonic Transformed put all of its bullshit in the stage design, which was 80 percent of the challenge there. The racers could be overcome, generally, but only after memorizing the lay-out of the tracks, which always change throughout. It's why everyone's favorite stage tends to be the Afterburner one, because it changes the least.

I swear to god, any race that had me do that flooding/burning underwater base track was just not going to end well for me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I 3-starred most of MK8 pretty easily but I can't finish basically any of the events in the top two difficulties for Sonic. It felt impossible to me like FZero 64 did. Deleted Sonic a while ago as a result but we still play MK8 when people come over, has an easier skill floor. No item preference between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Egad! I'm 5 coins away from Platinum. I downloaded Pokemon Bank, Rusty Baseball, and that submarine game. I only got coins from Pokemon bank. Is there anything else I can get to push me to the top?

• Locked thread