Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Why isn't the Vic orange yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Baram posted:

Why isn't the Vic orange yet?

It's about to get sold once I clean it up and take the stereo and lights off.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

When I got my Miata it had the wrong shocks on it. It's an NA 1.6 but it had 1.8 shocks on so the ride height was kinda funky and they were bouncy blown out turds. Today I put even wronger shocks on it. :v:

Top is the old stock shocks with rusty old springs and rustier top mounts.
Bottom is some kind of Bilstein apparently from a 2000 model.

The job was fairly simple but I was still surprised just how long it takes. The ride height was way off just after I put them on but it slouched to a fairly reasonable height after the test drive. Overall I'm pretty pleased. While I can definitely feel the imperfections in the road more, it doesn't bounce nearly as much as it used to.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got some stuff off a zx2 in a you-pull-it yard.
Old weakass dome light :frog:

Mothafuckin map lights awww poo poo :pcgaming:

Got a driver side window too for it's guide hardware.

The one missing the little ring/donut that fits into the track was the one on the car when I bought it. The window would rattle, didn't seal against the door frame, and was just noisy overall. I'm keeping the glass in my shed as a backup because it's in good shape.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I keep confusing your username with sperglord's and only realizing my mistake when you post pictures and they are of things you did to a car.

I did the front left CV joints/shaft on my subaru and as a result it no longer shakes like it has a brick in the tire when I accelerate. Much better.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Replaced the single horn with a horn set from like a 2005 Volvo from the pick n pull. It went from a cute sound to an actual multi tone car horn sound and I think I like it. Not really a necessity but they were easy to grab and easy to install, and cheap as hell.

Next up is fabricating a shroud for the dual electric fans I picked up and putting together a harness that isn't a complete ripoff. No way in hell am I paying 50 to 100 for that setup.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Continued to work on my steering, got the tie rods semi-set-up and realized that I don't have the right size socket for my pitman arm...and that I ordered 2 pitman arms when I should have ordered one and an idler arm. :ughh:

In the process I had to sit and hammer on my lug nuts with an impact wrench forever because the things just wouldn't loving budge. Had to hit the driver's front side up with PB blaster twice. Dunno who cranked those bastards down but at least they're finally off. Also noticed the front brake pads are basically nil so I guess roters + pads is on the list now too.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Technically I did this on Sunday but it's been so busy at work that I just got a chance to take pictures. The Dirty Ugly Cheap GS-R got a spray bombing on the rear quarter panels to cover the primer up. It's neither pretty nor professional, but hey at least it's not gray anymore!
Before:

After:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

10 minutes spent with sandpaper feathering out the tape edges of that primer would have made a hell of a difference.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Motronic posted:

10 minutes spent with sandpaper feathering out the tape edges of that primer would have made a hell of a difference.

This is true. I honestly wasn't looking for something even remotely professional; just quick and green. I should have also spent more time making sure the green went on evenly and without runs but again, meh. Its name is Dirty Ugly Cheap for a reason

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Cover it with pickup truck bed liner, that'll fill in the gap between panels.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

...and since my Civic got hit in the parking garage at the one hospital I go to, I will probably be without it for a little while once it goes into the body shop. Based on that information, I went out and got a set of winter wheels and tires for the Ugly Dirty Cheap Integra. Four steelies with studded tires for $120. The Civic has non-studded winter tires on it, and those are beastly so I am curious as to how well these will do. We are supposed to be getting 6" tomorrow so I might get a chance to find out!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Winterforces aren't the best snow tires by far but they sure as gently caress are the best bang for buck. I don't run anything else.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

kastein posted:

Winterforces aren't the best snow tires by far but they sure as gently caress are the best bang for buck. I don't run anything else.

That's what I thought when I used to sell them years ago. How could I go wrong for $30 apiece already mounted?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Finally got around to swapping out the stock a-pillar destroying antenna on my Wrangler and was able to take pictures of it spread over a few days.

Old and paint destroying piece of flimsy garbage:

New 12" Stubby from Antenna-X. FM and AM is still crystal clear in town although I fully expect to no longer get stations 150km away from the source.

Still to cold to toss on the new Vinyl decals unfortunately.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
My TJ doesn't have that issue, good god what else did Chrysler get wrong making the JK?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Old greasy torn boot with PO grime and cigarette ash:

Nice new clean boot:

Got it from a guy on Yahoo Auctions who makes OEM style boots and other upholstered items mostly for cars like the AZ-1 and the Beat.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^^^ I was about to ask why you leave loose shoes by your gas pedal. But im assuming your somewhere that has Fun hand drive vehicles.

TOday I replaced the pressure line for my wifes escape. Really that was the easiest one ive done in a long time. I then found out somewhere once upon a time an rear end hat crushed the underframe with a lift.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Found out my recirc door is busted on the charger [common failure] no wonder my windows wouldn't defog. Jammed it closed till spring when I feel like dealing with it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

New driveshaft in the Forester and slammed a plug into the hole that mysteriously appeared in the sidewall of one of my soon to be replaced tires.

Yes I know you aren't supposed to plug sidewalls. No I don't give a gently caress. These tires have maybe another 100 miles in them before I have my brand new snows put on.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Bought it. 2015 Mazda CX-5 in Blue Reflex Mica, loaded with everything.

Well, it's my wife's car, but whatever.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Welp. Pulled the driveshaft on the Mustang to do a clutch job, discovered all four driveshaft bolts were barely finger tight.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Found out my recirc door is busted on the charger [common failure] no wonder my windows wouldn't defog. Jammed it closed till spring when I feel like dealing with it.

Broken plastic near the shaft? Just curious if its the same failure mode / same failure reasons as the WJ blend and recirc doors.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Yeah I can feel the motor shaft spinning with my hand before it enters the enclosure so its broken between there and the flap

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Got the center console welded into place and the kill switch wired. Getting real close to having this thing legal for PTE. then it's time to make 30 more WHP so I can have a prayer at keeping up with the field.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Drove all day yesterday through unplowed back roads with 5+ inches of snow, only to "FiST" a curb in a plowed shopping center. Winter wheel is scuffed and steering wheel is a tiny bit off. Hopefully just need an alignment and nothing is bent/broken.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Adjusted the valves, replaced air filters, changed oil in the e46 m3. Glad I did, 22 out of 24 valves were out or in the edge of out of spec. The amount of varnish disappointed me as well. Good news is it ran amazing after I changed it all, and the vanos looked top notch. Still needs the fuel filter out in then a trans and diff oil change. Not sure if I'm going to rebuild the vanos next or change the rod bearings.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I lined the fuel tank from my 65 Corvair with some Red-Kote sealer. I washed it out yesterday, poured in some rust converter, and washed it out again today. Hooked it up to the shop vac set on blow for about 2 hours to make sure it was bone dry. The liner is amazing stuff, but super messy and a real pain to drain from the tank. Can't wait for my new fuel sender to arrive so I can put around town in her again.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
Just re sealed the oil pan on my Avenir. Just waiting now so I can refill the oil and pray for no more leaks.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Cross posting from the Miata thread as before this I had never painted anything more than a fence or a wall in my life and I'm really proud of how this came out.

Me and a friend gave my MX-5 NC a little transformation:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Ahdinko posted:

Cross posting from the Miata thread as before this I had never painted anything more than a fence or a wall in my life and I'm really proud of how this came out.

Me and a friend gave my MX-5 NC a little transformation:

Wow that looks great haha! I've always wondered what you tell the dvla with these colours, although I guess purple would do!

I'm assuming your mate has a decent amount of experience doing these things tho?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

track day bro! posted:

Wow that looks great haha! I've always wondered what you tell the dvla with these colours, although I guess purple would do!

I'm assuming your mate has a decent amount of experience doing these things tho?

I need to send it off to them, I'm still really unsure as to what to put in the colour box though. As far as I know I can't pick multiple colours. Might have to give DVLA a call first.

Not really, he's sprayed two cars (one with rattlecans) and a handful of panels. I helped him do the first whole car he did with his compressor so I could get some experience on his mates piece of poo poo 200sx before I ruined my own car, but I was mostly sanding stuff on that one.

Edit: I just called the DVLA, the bloke said that normally on a car that has several colours, you'd register the primary colour, but since the primary colour changes dependent on how bright it is/how wet it is/what angle you're standing at, I have to register the colour as "Multicolour"

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 24, 2015

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

On Saturday I put on four new winter tires to replace the old ones that are from 2006 and all had slow leaks. They grip much better, almost too good, as now I can't get the rear out as much when I want to :( I also replaced the power steering pump inlet o-ring to cure its whining due to leaking air on cold starts. There is still a bit of air in the system, as evident by the stuttering/intermittent whine while turning the wheel but it's getting less every day.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What did I do to my ride today?

Sold it for scrap! So glad it's gone.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I replaced the power steering pump in my V70 tonight. It was a pain in the rear end because of the bracket-it's a really lovely design. It's in two pieces, and they flex just enough for everything to fall out of alignment once the pump is unbolted. Installing the new one took me 45 minutes since I had to try to keep everything lined up with one hand while trying to thread bolts through the pulley with the other. What's more, Volvo designed it so that one of the bolts is inaccessible due to the intake manifold and the upper radiator hose, so I had to drain the coolant and remove it to take the pump out. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, the pump is in the lower left corner of this image, and the bolt in question is at the upper right corner of the pump. It's so tightly packed that there's no room to get a socket or a wrench in there.

I'm also replacing the steering rack-I'm going to be really glad when this job is over. If I could do it at my own pace in nice weather it would be one thing, but I'm starting in a new position at work next week so I'm under pressure to get it fixed and trying to do it all when it's 10 degrees out sucks.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I got my car back today.

Coilovers are being rebuilt, new Hankook RS3 will be on the Enkei wheels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now it looks like a loving Civic

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
New wheels for the GTP!

A vast improvement over the stock ones that were shedding pancake sized hunks of chrome.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Chriskory posted:

I got my car back today.

Coilovers are being rebuilt, new Hankook RS3 will be on the Enkei wheels.

Did they have to replace one coilover or did you get a full set out of the deal? Or are all of them being rebuilt instead of replaced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
Decided to get to the bottom of the mystery antifreeze loss on my volvo 940

Turned the demister on. found it! its allover the inside of my windscreen. Time to rip out the dash and change the heater matrix :ohdear: