Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Some Chinese dingaling kicked one of the bells at Doi Suthep and Thai people aren't really thrilled about that. Nor surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yx8gGDvnEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

For some uncomprehendable reason Vietnam now requires that even us lucky ones who get 15 days visa-free have to be out of country for at least a month starting this year. Now im 65 dollars poorer and stuck in Phnom Penh with nothing to do. :shepicide:

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

For some uncomprehendable reason Vietnam now requires that even us lucky ones who get 15 days visa-free have to be out of country for at least a month starting this year. Now im 65 dollars poorer and stuck in Phnom Penh with nothing to do. :shepicide:

An American guy living in Vietnam told me that you can get three month visas easy and all you have to do is have a Vietnamese person write a letter for you every time you go to renew it. Is this not the case? He pretty much said Vietnam wants to make as much money from foreigners as possible so they made visa stuff really easy, but no idea what's actually going on there since I haven't been.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

kenner116 posted:

I did the normal Yangon(+Twante)-Inle Lake-Mandalay-Bagan loop, plus Pyin U Lwin and Hsipaw.

Ride the circle train around Yangon. It's really slow and rocks back and forth, and people will sell you betel nut.

Take the train between Pyin U Lwin and Hsipaw, there is a 115-year-old bridge (Gokteik viaduct) that is quite impressive given the general state of infrastructure in the country.

Bicycle and hike around the countryside whenever possible. Hsipaw and Pyin U Lwin have some nice waterfalls, and the weather is more bearable there since you're up in the hills.

Burma photos

Thanks - and nice photos.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame
considering staying in Thailand for like, six months, any suggestions on the easiest way to go about it?

also, what should I do if I want a better connection, like real rear end fiber or something?

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

I also went to a Thai hospital to get checked for the HIV for 620 baht I'll find out in an hour if I'm already dead

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Luffles posted:

considering staying in Thailand for like, six months, any suggestions on the easiest way to go about it?

also, what should I do if I want a better connection, like real rear end fiber or something?

Are you in a house or an apartment? If you're in an apartment you might be able to get True or whoever to install Fiber to your room with your landlord's permission, but it'll cost a bit and be a hassle. Also, if you don't have a work permit the ISP will probably want a year's payment up front.

As for your other question, I assume you're talking about how to get a Visa to stay that long? Your best best would be to get a double-entry tourist visa. You can get these at most embassies, Vientiane and Penang are the most popular places to go to get them probably.

E: I'm not sure if those two places will do double entries actually. It varies for each place for whatever reason. I know that you can get one from Savannakhet in Laos, but it's not the most exciting place to visit.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 24, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Yeah I got a double entry, 60 day tourist visa for $90 AUD. From memory each entry can be extended 30 days. That would give you six months.

Also HIV takes up to 3 months to be detectable in tests

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

Negligent posted:

Also HIV takes up to 3 months to be detectable in tests

I'm mostly gay: I know it, my date insisted I get it before sinning against god

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Are you in a house or an apartment? If you're in an apartment you might be able to get True or whoever to install Fiber to your room with your landlord's permission, but it'll cost a bit and be a hassle. Also, if you don't have a work permit the ISP will probably want a year's payment up front.

apartment, I may be able to convince my friend to sign for it we'll see. the current internet, tothotspot or some similar bullshit likes to disconnect me and take 5-10 minutes to reconnect with a WiFi login page that tends to fail to connect.

Luffles fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 24, 2015

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Get a teaching job, you don't really need to teach and you can stay as long as you want!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Luffles posted:

apartment, I may be able to convince my friend to sign for it we'll see. the current internet, tothotspot or some similar bullshit likes to disconnect me and take 5-10 minutes to reconnect with a WiFi login page that tends to fail to connect.

Yeah I've used those hotspots before, they suck. Have a word with your apartment building or landlord and see if they're cool with it, I doubt it'll be a problem.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I have my own ADSL router in a h rise condo and that poo poo still drops out several times a day. I go outside look at the cable spaghetti and am amazed anything works at all

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The Burmese have apparently become confused about which Bay of Thailand island is which:

http://www2.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/481620/myanmar-woman-killed-on-samui

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Negligent posted:

I have my own ADSL router in a h rise condo and that poo poo still drops out several times a day. I go outside look at the cable spaghetti and am amazed anything works at all

Seriously. How the gently caress does anyone know which cable is which? It's one of those Thailand mysteries.

Having said that my Internet has always been remarkably reliable here, when I've lived in houses. Apartments and condos have always been much less so.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

Get a teaching job, you don't really need to teach and you can stay as long as you want!

Is this possible without a bachelors?

Negligent posted:

Yeah I got a double entry, 60 day tourist visa for $90 AUD. From memory each entry can be extended 30 days. That would give you six months.

Bardeh posted:

As for your other question, I assume you're talking about how to get a Visa to stay that long? Your best best would be to get a double-entry tourist visa. You can get these at most embassies, Vientiane and Penang are the most popular places to go to get them probably.

E: I'm not sure if those two places will do double entries actually. It varies for each place for whatever reason. I know that you can get one from Savannakhet in Laos, but it's not the most exciting place to visit.

I'm in Thailand already do I have to leave and come back?

Luffles fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 24, 2015

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes, you'll have to leave and come back. What visa are you on at the moment?

It's possible to get a job teaching without a bachelor's, but you wouldn't get a work permit or visa and it wouldn't be a good school.

Teaching in Thailand is poo poo unless you're properly qualified and can work in an international school. I mean, I guess for six months if you're desperate to stay and need the money, maybe, but I personally would try and find something else.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 24, 2015

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That was a joke, don't do that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I know more than a few teachers who most definitely have less qualifications than a goat to teach and yet they continue to teach year in and year out regardless of how many times they get fired.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

I know more than a few teachers who most definitely have less qualifications than a goat to teach and yet they continue to teach year in and year out regardless of how many times they get fired.

Well, unless you're married to a Thai, of retirement age, or can find work in the hospitality sector, it's pretty much the easiest way to stay here long term. I taught in Thailand for three years, and that was plenty long enough for me. It was fun at first, but it soon became an awful grind dealing with the massive amounts of bullshit inherent in the Thai education system.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Trust me, I have a more intimate knowledge of how all of this works than any man could ever want.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

Trust me, I have a more intimate knowledge of how all of this works than any man could ever want.

goondolences :nsa:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Fortunately the other Bangkok goons make great drinking buddies. God save me.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
[quote="Atlas Hugged" post=""441968968"]definitely have less qualifications than a goat
[/quote]

:mad:

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am considering applying for this teaching gig in Malaysia. It is in Subang Jaya. Does anyone know anything about the area? I suspect being 20km away from KL is a good thing, but I have heard terrible things about the traffic. I doubt anyone has experience teaching in both places, but having taught two years in China it would be great to know if Malaysia is at all similar in terms of work culture.

http://reachtoteachrecruiting.theresumator.com/apply/jobs/details/dpMAln

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Look, I'm sure you're a lovely goat. And I mean that seriously. I wouldn't trust a farang to be alone in front of a group of children. A goat, definitely. Goats don't exhibit drug seeking behavior. Goats don't borrow money from the Thai staff. Goats don't confuse "English club" with "invite students over to their house for private lessons".

Please donate any unwanted alcohol to me.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

Please donate any unwanted alcohol to me.

I already drank some of this one, but it sounds like you need it more than me.

I remember teaching with a young Australian guy who told me that 'Planet X' was completely covered in gold 'to absorb sunlight', and the aliens who did it had gotten all that gold from stealing El Dorado and melting it down. He was completely serious. He also thought LED's were alien technology. Also he was addicted to Xanax and meth. :cool:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 24, 2015

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ah, Leo, my one joy left in the world.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

NaanViolence posted:

I am considering applying for this teaching gig in Malaysia. It is in Subang Jaya. Does anyone know anything about the area? I suspect being 20km away from KL is a good thing, but I have heard terrible things about the traffic. I doubt anyone has experience teaching in both places, but having taught two years in China it would be great to know if Malaysia is at all similar in terms of work culture.

http://reachtoteachrecruiting.theresumator.com/apply/jobs/details/dpMmway

Well I've taught in both countries but only private language schools so far so can't compare the university education systems. Helpfully they don't say which university it is in the ad, which I'd be a bit concerned about. If it's a public university be warmed that from by all accounts Malaysian students, especially Malay students at public university, make the laziest assholes in China seem like scholars.

Also it's quite a way out of town, I know people who live out there and coming into town itself is a once a week or so thing. That said I hate commuting, plenty of people love living outside the main city. That level of salary will also go pretty far out there so that at least sounds good.

In more general terms, Malaysia is a massive change from China culturally. Depending on where you're from people can be less friendly (If you're currently in shanghai this does not apply). Also suddenly religion is a thing and you quickly realise that Malaysia is less an ethic mixing pot and more volatile chemicals that can get aggressive when shaken in any way. You will also miss the efficiency of Chinese bureaucracy. On the other hand you can do more or less whatever because most people really don't care.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

The main reason you hear so many shots going off during burning season is that the farmers set a shitload of rudimentary shotgun traps in the woods that are triggered by tripwires. When the tripwires burn, BOOM. We've heard the same thing in places like Khao Keaw when they do the annual burning too. It's quite something to hear for sure!

O.o eurrgh probably a good thing I'm only hearing this now that I'm done stumbling along game-trails every day. Poachers keep taking the SIM cards from our camera traps too, though bizarrely they often set them back up afterwards. Typical of Thais to be so considerate, even when robbing you!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Squalid posted:

O.o eurrgh probably a good thing I'm only hearing this now that I'm done stumbling along game-trails every day. Poachers keep taking the SIM cards from our camera traps too, though bizarrely they often set them back up afterwards. Typical of Thais to be so considerate, even when robbing you!

I'm guessing they probably don't mean to rob you, they just think the SIM is a memory card and they don't want to be on camera.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Yes, you'll have to leave and come back. What visa are you on at the moment?

Visa on arrival until the 13th.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Fortunately the other Bangkok goons make great drinking buddies. God save me.

lets drink together it will be romantic weird completely normal.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Heading to Myanmar very soon for a few weeks. What should I check out?

duckmaster posted:

I went to Mandalay earlier this year which is apparently a smaller version of Yangon. Random Burma info (sorry about my writing style, I'm very hungover):

• I was actually very surprised by just how built up it was. The main thing is that there are almost no western brands to speak of. Coca Cola is some weird rip off (Panda Kola or something?) and a packet of local cigarettes was 80 cents but Marlboros were about $5 and almost certainly fake. There are motorbikes everywhere but they're all Chinese rip offs. The hotels we stayed in had air conditioning and flat screen TVs but again all the brands were weird Chinese poo poo. We went to a temple on the top of a cliff; running up the side of the cliff was a tower about 5 stories high which we were told was the way in. I groaned and said "I hope there's an escalator in there!" and everyone laughed at the complete implausibility of this. Unbelievably there was.
  • The street food is garbage, and that's compared to Cambodia. There are beer gardens everywhere which do food, it varied from "acceptable" to "actually quite good" to "how can they charge me $3 for a loving samosa". They don't drink as much as Thais (who in turn don't drink anywhere near as much as Cambodians) so the beer gardens are busy but very chill. Beer ran at about $1/glass for Myanmar Beer (the best one) or 40 cents for this other type which was godawful. Prices for spirits are through the roof by SE Asian standards.
  • The cultural differences are, how shall I put this, "unique". Apparently in Burmese culture it is considered impolite to assume anyone wants anything and even more impolite to ask for anything. This makes hospitality a hilarious farce as waiters desperately avoid eye contact whilst you wave your hands at them like some kind of deranged maniac. People do a strange kissing thing to get waiters attention which you'll feel very self conscious about but it works so whatever.
  • Internet is a hilarious joke. The internet cafes are officially censored but this is so lax now that you're highly unlikely to notice (I got onto the BBC website just fine). Next to each computer there will be a little sign telling you how to log in through a proxy so you can avoid the censorship entirely, heh. It's sub-56k so you won't be doing much surfing. Apparently Ragoon is much better though, but you'll pay accordingly.
  • There are actually holes in the pavement so keep your eyes open, although the pavements in the busy areas will be alright (ish). I don't mean little potholes either, you stick your leg in one of these things without noticing and you're breaking an ankle.
  • The only issue with using water for washing is that it may or may not be hot and how you have adjusted the tap will have absolutely no influence on this whatsoever.
  • People tend to speak a few words of English particularly anyone involved in transport. Mototaxis hang around in areas with a tiny sign saying TAXI hanging somewhere (this may be stuck behind a tree for no apparent reason). I don't think I got offered a single one on the street in a week in Burma, but they did offer when I walked past them. For longer journeys the locals jump in a pick up truck which you can do too but you'll pay double the local rate and they look pretty dangerous. I really wanted to go on one but my friend wouldn't let me and we had to go 50 miles by taxi, grr. Taxis are very much more Cambodian style (a clapped out Toyota Corolla with no fan) than Thai (a big pink Subaru Impreza with wifi). We hired one for $15 for 4 hours but unlike Cambodian ones he didn't let me smoke :mad:
  • Minibuses between towns were quite good and actually more or less on time. Book through a guesthouse or hotel though, every travel agent we went to was quite clearly in the wrong job. One weird thing about long distance transport is there will always be a Burmese man or woman sitting in the passenger seat; I assumed this was some sort of government minder to stop us pesky foreigners seeing places they don't want us to see which I thought was awesome. Unfortunately it turns out they're just the "spotter" for the driver. Because Burma was a British colony they used to drive on the left but the Junta decided they didn't want to be British so they told everyone to drive on the right instead... but all the cars were right hand drive. Because of the sanctions any imported cars were smuggled in and cost a fortune, but nobody wanted a left hand drive car because then they'd have to learn to drive it so all the imported cars were right hand drive as well. Even the Burmese car manufacturer - owned by the Junta - couldn't be bothered to train their workers in building left hand drives so they just kept building right hand drives. So now everybody drives on the right in a right hand drive car and has to employ someone to drive around with them so they don't die. Seriously.
  • The towns and cities are incredibly safe for foreigners mainly because the penalty for assaulting one is literally "disappear". How you feel about the moral implications of that is up to you but it does keep crime down!
  • Ride the railway, seriously. Centuries of exploitation and genocide by the British Empire are completely nullified by the railways we built all over the place.
  • Nobody will talk politics with you for obvious reasons, although I did run into a small (maybe 50 people) democracy demonstration. The police were just standing around chewing khat. In Cambodia they just open fire and this is allegedly a democracy!

So yeh. YMMV and I may be wrong about some things. It's definitely different and I sort of liked it but I wouldn't live there. Ragoon is probably far different though, the expat crowd in Mandalay is miniscule.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Luffles posted:

Visa on arrival until the 13th.

If you have to, you can extend that for 7 days by going to an immigration office and paying 1900 baht, but that's a waste of money really.

Your easiest choices for a double entry tourist visa are Vientiane or Savannakhet in Laos. I've never been to Vientiane, but I've heard that the embassy there is busy and the process is stressful, although you can pay agencies to do most of it for you.

The embassy in Savannakhet is very quiet and not busy at all. I got my last visa from there and it was the easiest and least stressful visa run I've ever done. The only thing is that Savannakhet on the Laos side, and Mukdahan on the Thai side, are pretty quiet and sleepy, with not much to see or do. I imagine Vientiane has more going for it on that side of things.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chantilly Say posted:

Truth.txt

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

NaanViolence posted:

http://reachtoteachrecruiting.theresumator.com/apply/jobs/details/dpMAln

20km outside of a major city can be a good thing depending on your temperament. I don't know anything specifically about this school/location so take anything I say with a grain of salt, but in general schools do what they can to stress how good their location is when trying to attract foreign help. This means that something like "near Bangkok" really means an hour's bus ride from the shrimp farm ghetto that tapers out to the south of the city for miles and miles, meaning like two hours to get to anything anyone would call Bangkok if they weren't selling something on a good traffic day. Any time going somewhere results in you strongly considering getting a hotel room and making it a two day thing I don't think you can really consider the two locations to be the same. Presumably you're looking at getting out of China because you've heard that it's a lot better to live in SE Asia but going to the gulags may erode some of what you're looking for. Depending, of course, on what you're looking for.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Bardeh posted:

I'm guessing they probably don't mean to rob you, they just think the SIM is a memory card and they don't want to be on camera.

That's absolutely the case, but it's amusing they go through the hassle of resetting our sometimes elaborate traps with memory-less cameras. Too bad for them they don't always see the cameras pointed at the cameras:mrgreenwater:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Where I'm from if you were setting up cameras in the poachin' woods the whole camera would go missing or else just get shot so count yer blessins!

:bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Luffles posted:

lets drink together it will be romantic weird completely normal.

No weirder than drinking with the other goons here.