Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Two random questions:

1. How do you handle it when you're in one position, say Product Manager, and then you're pulled off those duties for a special project for a year +?
2. How do you handle it when what you're working on is super secret, to the point where you are forbidden from speaking about it to people on your own team?

I'm ready to move on from my role as PM in my company, but I'm having a hard time reconciling 1 and 2 into my resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Saint Fu posted:

I'm applying for an engineering job through a company's career website and I have to generate an online profile with them. There's a box for minimum salary requested... They don't list the salary range in the job description on the company website but I did find the job posting on Monster (the company name was kept anonymous listing but the text was almost identical so it wasn't hard to sleuth that one out) and they listed a range of $X-$Y.

I'm thinking about putting down the average of the $X and $Y numbers I saw on Monster. Also considering the upper range, idk. I hate having to give the first number since it hurts future negotiations especially since there's so much more than just salary that goes into compensation.

What would you goons do?

I'd put in a 1.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I'm pretty new to the job-hunt situation in general –

Interviewed for a position and got a verbal offer a few weeks/month ago or so. I took the weekend to think about it and turned it down because it was evening shift and would just interfere too much with other life things and obligations. Got another call from the company last week saying coincidentally that a morning position had opened up and they wanted to know if I was interested in that instead. The following Monday (so this past Monday) I confirmed. They said they'd need to go through an approval process and that I'd hear back in a couple of days. Haven't heard anything from them yet.

Is this normal? I would imagine so, but I've not experienced anything like it so far since my last full-time job started out as contract and transitioned to full-time.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

redcheval posted:

I'm pretty new to the job-hunt situation in general –

Interviewed for a position and got a verbal offer a few weeks/month ago or so. I took the weekend to think about it and turned it down because it was evening shift and would just interfere too much with other life things and obligations. Got another call from the company last week saying coincidentally that a morning position had opened up and they wanted to know if I was interested in that instead. The following Monday (so this past Monday) I confirmed. They said they'd need to go through an approval process and that I'd hear back in a couple of days. Haven't heard anything from them yet.

Is this normal? I would imagine so, but I've not experienced anything like it so far since my last full-time job started out as contract and transitioned to full-time.
Up to a week is normal for background checks, especially if any of your references are difficult to get a hold of or can't be reached at the numbers provided.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I keep my references off my resume and to be honest don't remember them ever inquiring after that (last job didn't either, I have no idea how common this is). I'm assuming it's some kind of internal process anyway?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Goons, I have a problem, and humbly request some advice. Some background: I'm 27 and make $80,000 a year.

October 2013. Left a job where I had been five years. (Started when I was 20, first job out of university). Great job, good people, left on good terms.

October 2013 - November 2014: Worked at a large international firm for a year. Again, great job, left due to a combination of overbearing manager and finding a better opportunity. Left on extremely good terms. (They offered me a 10k bonus to stay).

December 2014 - now: Working at a small firm.

Unfortunately, this opportunity isn't going to work out, I don't think. My boss, who owns the company, is extraordinarily erratic. He will give me instructions, I will follow them to the letter, and he will say that I did them wrong and did sloppy work. He will give me praise for three weeks then last week said my past month hadn't been up to scratch.

Last week I looked at a few news articles on my lunch break and I was told that I was "slacking off all day". You get the picture.

Here's my dilemma. The current job has said they want me to stay, they don't want me to leave. But I'm feeling like I've made a mistake. I've called my previous boss and asked if I could have my old role back, and he said that while that role is filled, he'll ask around for any other vacancies in the team. He's the head partner, so if there's something available, I'm sure he'll give it to me.

In the meantime, I want to start putting out resumes. How do I explain this current job?

Here's the kicker: I put this job, stupidly, on my LinkedIn. So here's what I can do:

1. Delete the job from LinkedIn, risk my current boss seeing the deletion and ask me about why. It'll blow up.
2. Leave it on LinkedIn, but delete from resume, which could mean some jobs throw out my resume for "lying" before they even talk to me.
3. Leave it on LinkedIn, and the resume, but risk not being seen for interviews because of such a short-term turnaround.

Have I screwed myself here? My Dad always said if you're at a job for a short term it'll screw up your employment history for the next 15 to 20 years. I've clearly made a bad job choice, I accept that, I just need to know what to do to move forward. Any advice would be welcome!

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 15, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

Goons, I have a problem, and humbly request some advice. Some background: I'm 27 and make $80,000 a year.

October 2013. Left a job where I had been five years. (Started when I was 20, first job out of university). Great job, good people, left on good terms.

October 2013 - November 2014: Worked at a large international firm for a year. Again, great job, left due to a combination of overbearing manager and finding a better opportunity. Left on extremely good terms. (They offered me a 10k bonus to stay).

December 2014 - now: Working at a small firm.

Unfortunately, this opportunity isn't going to work out, I don't think. My boss, who owns the company, is extraordinarily erratic. He will give me instructions, I will follow them to the letter, and he will say that I did them wrong and did sloppy work. He will give me praise for three weeks then last week said my past month hadn't been up to scratch.

Last week I looked at a few news articles on my lunch break and I was told that I was "slacking off all day". You get the picture.

Here's my dilemma. The current job has said they want me to stay, they don't want me to leave. But I'm feeling like I've made a mistake. I've called my previous boss and asked if I could have my old role back, and he said that while that role is filled, he'll ask around for any other vacancies in the team. He's the head partner, so if there's something available, I'm sure he'll give it to me.

In the meantime, I want to start putting out resumes. How do I explain this current job?

Here's the kicker: I put this job, stupidly, on my LinkedIn. So here's what I can do:

1. Delete the job from LinkedIn, risk my current boss seeing the deletion and ask me about why. It'll blow up.
2. Leave it on LinkedIn, but delete from resume, which could mean some jobs throw out my resume for "lying" before they even talk to me.
3. Leave it on LinkedIn, and the resume, but risk not being seen for interviews because of such a short-term turnaround.

Have I screwed myself here? My Dad always said if you're at a job for a short term it'll screw up your employment history for the next 15 to 20 years. I've clearly made a bad job choice, I accept that, I just need to know what to do to move forward. Any advice would be welcome!
Whether your previous 13-month run is considered short or not depends a lot on what industry you're in, but the best thing is just to put your job down and not worry about it. You presumably have good references from your past jobs, and left on good terms, and your five-year run through October 2013 suggests you're not a serial job-hopper. When asked in interviews, explain that you don't feel the job you're in is what was advertised to you when you interviewed, and that's as far into it as you need to go.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Cheers. I guess my only fear there is that someone won't hire me if I'm only leaving a job two months in ya know.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

Cheers. I guess my only fear there is that someone won't hire me if I'm only leaving a job two months in ya know.
Seeing two or three of these in the span of a few years would be very worrisome to me as a hiring manager, but every job is completely different, and most people understand that the management situation is completely insane because almost nobody in management roles ever has any kind of real management education or training.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Good to know. Thanks!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Misogynist posted:

Seeing two or three of these in the span of a few years would be very worrisome to me as a hiring manager, but every job is completely different, and most people understand that the management situation is completely insane because almost nobody in management roles ever has any kind of real management education or training.
I don't know. He's left two jobs in the past 15 months because he couldn't get along with management. That's definitely a red flag. Personally, I would be hesitant to hire someone with that on their resume. I've been burned by a serial job-hopper in the past and it cost me some credibility as a manager.

CelestialScribe, take a look at yourself and make sure that if you're part of the problem, you fix it going forward. Definitely do not lie on your resume. Also, keep in mind that the majority of jobs are filled through connections and not through blindly firing off resumes. You might be better served working that angle, because you apparently have several professionals in your field willing to vouch for you. That's a much better asset than a perfect resume.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Yeah we just hired someone into our group with amazing credentials and 20+ years of experience but almost all the jobs were 1-2 year stints, some 6 months or so. I Sat in on the interviews and he interviewed well and had a "good reason" why he switched jobs so often. I voiced my concerns but we hired them anyway.

Turns out he's a massive jackass who can't get along with anyone and argues with the bosses non stop. I'll never hire someone with that red flag if I ever get into management

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
This is why you don't add people you currently directly work with immediately on LinkedIn. I only start adding people when I've been working somewhere for a while and get to know people well enough to know which ones would be useful later.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

I don't know. He's left two jobs in the past 15 months because he couldn't get along with management. That's definitely a red flag. Personally, I would be hesitant to hire someone with that on their resume. I've been burned by a serial job-hopper in the past and it cost me some credibility as a manager.

CelestialScribe, take a look at yourself and make sure that if you're part of the problem, you fix it going forward. Definitely do not lie on your resume. Also, keep in mind that the majority of jobs are filled through connections and not through blindly firing off resumes. You might be better served working that angle, because you apparently have several professionals in your field willing to vouch for you. That's a much better asset than a perfect resume.

This is definitely a valid point, but just to clarify - my manager where I am now is the owner of this company. Before I joined, a friend called me and warned me about him saying this was an intense place to work. (this person is an amazing worker who left six months in).

Since I started in December, two people have been hired and left, with the owner being a major reason in both those instances.

I would also say the main reason I left the last job was due to this opportunity more so than the manager.

Your point is well taken, but there is a pattern of behaviour surrounding my current boss that I'm sure it's not just me.

I don't know, I just think life is too short for dealing with terrible managers/owners.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Freshening up my resume, wondering where do I put my bench press numbers, (max and typical work set), under interests or somewhere higher up? Perhaps tailor it to the specific job?

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

I have worked at the same place since Sept of 2011. I started as a student worker, and then when I graduated with my BS last year I got hired as a contractor. A regular full-time position has come open on my team and I want to apply. How do I put my student work and contract work on my resume? The duties are essentially the same so it doesn't seem right to list it twice.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
^:

Company Name Here
Title (as Contract Employee through Infinite Screwups, Inc.) June 2014-present
Title (as Student Employee) June 2013-June 2014

* bullet points here

African AIDS cum posted:

Freshening up my resume, wondering where do I put my bench press numbers, (max and typical work set), under interests or somewhere higher up? Perhaps tailor it to the specific job?

Unless you're applying to be a personal trainer, an orthopedic surgeon, or the job description says "do you even lift, bro?", I think I've been trolled. :(

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

African AIDS cum posted:

What is your one rep max?

lazy old sun
Feb 12, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

I find it more effective to just demonstrate by doing push-ups during the interview

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
After 16 months of job-hunting, I'm beginning to think the problem is me :smith:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

MickeyFinn posted:

What is your one rep max?

Right now it's about 315 cause I have been dealing with a pinched nerve causing muscle wasting in my left arm, should be able to get it back up above 400 after physical therapy. How to note this in an interview?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

African AIDS cum posted:

Right now it's about 315 cause I have been dealing with a pinched nerve causing muscle wasting in my left arm, should be able to get it back up above 400 after physical therapy. How to note this in an interview?

At that weight I'd leave it off or you might get passed over for being a wimp.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So I've gotten an entry level position at a H/R recruiting assistant. Job basically amounts to compiling resumes, weeding people down and doing preliminary interviews. They're offering a full time position at 13.50 an hour with semi-annual bonuses at up to seven weeks salary. so it amounts to anywhere from 29,000$ to 37,000$ yearly but realistically way more likely to end up around 32k. It's a small company run by a Japanese national.

Am I right in assuming that you don't necessarily want to negotiate when it comes to entry level jobs? Should I make a counter offer or just take what's offered? I was led to believe that the base salary wouldn't include the bonus and would be 31-35k but the bonus is also potentially a lot higher than I expected Potentially is basically a dirty word, though.

Both people within the company that I talked to at entry and mid level said the bonus was a real thing, but they also were active employees.

Coin
Jan 9, 2006

I'm no shitposter; I always know how I'm posting is wrong. I'm just a guy that doesn't like reading the thread, effortposting, and respecting the mods. So if you think about it, I'm the best poster here.
I finally took the plunge and quit teaching for a crappy temp-to-hire admin job at an insurance company with a less than stellar reputation...but it will be full-time work that pays the bills, and it shouldn't be much more than 40 hours a week, so I can keep taking classes in the evening working towards my AS in computer science and maybe even have time do something fun once in a while.

However, I plan to keep looking for something better, or at least better-paying. I've had some nibbles for positions in editing/copywriting/better admin stuff, but nothing that I've been able to make materialize yet. How do I make my experience as a (primarily online) English teacher look good for potential employers who are hiring for non-teaching positions? This should matter less once I finish up my degree (I'm not a whiz, but I think I'm slowly turning into a competent coder) but in the few interviews I've had, a lot of employers show concern that I haven't had a traditional out-of-the-house full-time job in almost six years, except for a couple of temp gigs that only lasted a few months apiece. I've been focusing on my student retention skills, my communication skills (yeah, I know, but lots of people really suck at writing) and my organizational/content management skills and ability to work without supervision. Is there something else I should be playing up to show people that my experience working at home shouldn't be held against me?

Also, how cautious should I be about bringing up my current schooling? It might be good to show that I'm interested in learning new things (especially things related to SQL, if the local want ads are any indication) but I'm worried that it might make a lot of employers think I would leave them soon. It's probably going to take me at least a couple more years to finish up my AS if I continue working full-time, and in any case I might just drop out if I find a job that is okay and pays me comfortably.

I understand that some of these answers might vary depending on the kind of job I am applying for.

PongAtari
May 9, 2003
Hurry, hurry, hurry, try my rice and curry.
I'm fed up with my job and ready to look for something else. Long story short, I'm overqualified (and can back up that claim), underutilized, and unhappy. Two questions:

1. I've been told I jump around between jobs too much. I've been at my current company a little over a year. I was at my previous job for 2 1/2 years and left (on good terms) because I wanted to move to another state. Before that I had 2 crappy jobs I worked (both between 6-12 months) after I came back from a long stint overseas. Prior to that, I'd held positions for 2-3 years at a time, but they're ancient history and not on my resume anymore. I know this isn't ideal, but is it that big of a deal?

2. I'm studying computer programming/science on my own and hoping to become a web or software developer by this time next year. I'm past the point of being a total novice, but I'd be pretty shocked if anyone considered me job-worthy at my current level. Should I mention on my resume that I have fundamental knowledge of a few programming languages and frameworks?

Edit: Heh, my situation is pretty similar to the poster above me. I was an English teacher overseas, working a crappy office/clerical job now, looking to get into tech. So this is what it feels like when doves cry.

PongAtari fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 23, 2015

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I recently submitted a job application in the same field in the same area that I currently work. I just realized after submitting my application that people in this industry know and communicate with each other, and it's got me a little concerned.

I'm worried that someone at the place I applied at will see where I'm currently working on my resume and contact my boss directly, and let them know that I'm looking for other jobs.

If such a thing happened, and I got fired as a result, would I have any legal recourse whatsoever? Do such things even happen?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Chalets the Baka posted:

I recently submitted a job application in the same field in the same area that I currently work. I just realized after submitting my application that people in this industry know and communicate with each other, and it's got me a little concerned.

I'm worried that someone at the place I applied at will see where I'm currently working on my resume and contact my boss directly, and let them know that I'm looking for other jobs.

If such a thing happened, and I got fired as a result, would I have any legal recourse whatsoever? Do such things even happen?

Most job applications have a checkbox next to where you input your current job information that says "can we contact your current employer?" or something along those lines. If you didn't check it they won't contact your current boss (or shouldn't anyway).

What do they have to gain from tattling on you to your current boss anyway? If they want to poach you they won't want to get you pissed at them by getting you fired.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Quick question: If I have been self employed for the last year+, what do I put in general form applications that ask if I am currently employed and if they can contact my current employer? Yes I am employed and they can contact me?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Chalets the Baka posted:

If it's such a small industry, the people looking at your resume who know your boss have been or will be in your position. They aren't stupid, you'll be fine.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm preparing my resume to take some courses on the US, but I don't know if I should translate some stuff like the name of my jobs, university or the institute I took English classes. Is it OK to just leave it in Spanish (since that's the way the university is called) or should I translate them since I can't expect other people to actually understand what they are?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
If it's not a recognizable name in the original language (like Sciences Po or something) then go ahead and translate it. You don't gain anything by leaving it as Universidad de instead of University of. I'm not sure what you mean by translating the names of jobs, though.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Xandu posted:

If it's not a recognizable name in the original language (like Sciences Po or something) then go ahead and translate it. You don't gain anything by leaving it as Universidad de instead of University of. I'm not sure what you mean by translating the names of jobs, though.

I mean, I worked in a law firm called Estudio Muņiz, etc.; should I change it to "Muņiz, etc. Attorneys/Law Firm"?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Ah, I'd leave it as is, that's what the company is called and people might want to look it up, universities are more often translated than company names. Presumably it should be clear from the context what they do, but if it's not maybe do Estudio Muniz (Law Firm).

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I have a 1st round interview on Thursday for a software product manager role. I've been in services product management for four years, but I've never worked in software, SaaS, Agile, all of which are requirements on the job listing. There's nothing like that on my resume, just general product management stuff. How do I answer the inevitable question about my experience managing software, designing and building SaaS, working in an Agile environment, etc.?

I've never been good at answering questions about stuff that I lack experience. I'm a fast learner and not totally retarded about those things (I taught myself SAS and SQL, am very familiar with HTML and have been working through the CodeAcademy course on Ruby. I figure most product management stuff is transferable, but I don't have much to draw on with developing SaaS and working in Agile.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Xandu posted:

Ah, I'd leave it as is, that's what the company is called and people might want to look it up, universities are more often translated than company names. Presumably it should be clear from the context what they do, but if it's not maybe do Estudio Muniz (Law Firm).

That's actually a very good idea. Thanks a lot!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

radlum posted:

I mean, I worked in a law firm called Estudio Muņiz, etc.; should I change it to "Muņiz, etc. Attorneys/Law Firm"?

I'd put it down as "Estudio Muņiz (Muņiz Law Firm and Associates)"

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Hey guys. I hope this question is in the right thread. My question doesn't really warrant its own thread but I wanted to get some perspective from people in the know. Basically, I have a nice, if temporary, job and a permanent job offer at a less stable company, and I'm not sure what to do.

Background: I'm a lawyer with a biotech background. I've done the whole doc review slog and right now I'm negotiating contracts for a major pharmaceuticals firm, BIgPharm. It's slightly below market value, is a contractor position, and offers no benefits. I am going through a placement agency that treats me very well, advocating for raises periodically, paying sick pay and holidays, and seeking out permanent positions with me. I've been with them off and on for about three years.

I received an email about a month ago from a former colleague asking if I was interested in a newer, less stable, but successful pharma firm, SmallPharm, that was paying 1.5 times my current rate. It's in another city and goes through a different placement agency, BigLaw Agency, that I don't trust, due to past experience. I declined to apply for these reasons. She said not to mention her name because BigLaw Agency was mad that she ultimately declined the position.

A few days after that email, I received a phone call from a recruiter of BigLaw Agency, and they asked if I'd be interested, based on a very old (basically fresh out of law school with no experience) resume. I sent them an updated resume and said it would take more money to get me to move to a nearby city and leave BigPharm (which I love and am very happy at). I went through a 20-minute phone interview and was given an offer for $10/h over my rate. My colleague was offered $20 more than my current rate, so I declined. They countered with $15 over my current rate. I declined that too. Part of this refusal was based on bad (I mean terrible) glassdoor.com reviews. Stuff like people crying at their desks, being worked to death, etc. I know reviews are unreliable, but there were 45 reviews and an overall 2.2/5 rating. Compare with BigPharm, which has a 4.5/5 rating on 800+ reviews. There was a lot of other stuff too, but quality of life was what it came down to.

They countered with a full-time direct-hire position. I waited a week and then responded with some questions (is the rate still the same that they previously offered? What are the benefits? Is there overtime? etc.) I asked to meet them and BigLaw Agency said yes, I can meet them this week if I get back to them with some times. Literally one business day later, I received a slightly scathing email about how I didn't seem enthusiastic about the position and why should they advocate for me if I was going to blow them off. I apologized for the delay and offered to come in this week or whenever they wanted to meet me. I received a less-than-gracious response about my lack of professionalism and how they shouldn't put themselves on the line for me, but they would reach out to SmallPharm and see if they were still willing to meet me.

On the one hand, the whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm happy at BigPharm and didn't ask for this new position; in fact, I declined it TWICE. Also, I don't trust BigLaw Agency. I know they're gnashing their teeth over their finder's fee and I get that they're upset at having to do any kind of work without the promise of immediate payoff, but I'm not sure the best way to respond to an apology and accommodation is an accusation of unprofessionalism. I had explained that this was a big decision for me, as I was happy, comfortable, and well-paid despite being in a contractor position. I know it's more money, we're talking a $30k/year raise and permanent position, but based on the reviews, I'm not sure I could last even a year there.

(side note: a colleague of mine was offered a temporary position at SmallPharm as well; apparently they've either fired a bunch of people, or a bunch of people are jumping ship.)

Basically, I kind of want to wash my hands of the whole deal. I don't want to deal with BigLaw Agency because of past experience and how their agents are acting now. Another thing complicating matters is that my partner and I are just about ready to launch our own firm, and taking a permanent position might delay the launch even more than it has already.

Hopefully this makes sense even with my stupid fake names. It's been a long, tiring day. TL;DR: I have a better offer from a company I don't want to work for, that came through an agency I'd rather not have any ties with, and I have a cushy, comfortable, if lower-paid temporary position and I don't know whether to entertain the offer or stay put.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 17, 2017

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Maggie Fletcher posted:

:words:
Hopefully this makes sense even with my stupid fake names. It's been a long, tiring day. TL;DR: I have a better offer from a company I don't want to work for, that came through an agency I'd rather not have any ties with, and I have a cushy, comfortable, if lower-paid temporary position and I don't know whether to entertain the offer or stay put.

This is soooooooo many words for what seems like a really clear decision.

Just say no and move on. You clearly don't want to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Bisty Q. posted:

This is soooooooo many words for what seems like a really clear decision.

Just say no and move on. You clearly don't want to do it.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm definitely overthinking it. I guess I just wanted some validation.