Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I'm not sure what would happen, but he is probably drawing from the fact that on a lot of bikes that have been in accidents a scratch or scrape on the frame can cause an insurance company to total it. The theory being that frame damage of any kind can cause a bike to fail later, and frame repairs are generally more expensive than its worth in their algorithm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Richard Bong posted:

What are the thoughts on all the Concourses that sit at about $3k with 40k miles on them on craigslist? If that is a dumb idea what is the other affordable sport tourer option?

Odds are they're nearing a major service interval and the owners too cheap to do it? Lol

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Cruisers: more fun than sportbikes.

Close thread.

My idea of "fun" is different that yours. :aaaaa:

The western Kansas landscape sucks, nothing but long straight, flat, booring roads. I remember an ask/tell thread where a truck driver was revealing everything, when asked "What is the most booring road?" he said "hands down, I-70 from Denver to KC." I have rode that route and it has far more hills, trees, amd curves than my hometown. I used to drive 30 miles to get lunch, 80 miles to get groceries, 200 miles to get to a mall or shopping center, and anything remotely fun was much farther away. I know some people like driving for miles on a sports bike, but I felt it was more comfortable and thus more fun on a cruiser.

I didn't say I don't like sport bikes, I just chose a cruiser.

hot sauce posted:

please tell me this is a post from reddit or something lol

So what you're saying is I have to hate everything about cruisers and ride a sport bike, or ride a sport bike and point and laugh at people on cruiser bikes?

HotCanadianChick posted:

This is the same poster who thinks he will crash his bike if he reaches up to hit a switch on a Sena on his helmet because he has one hand off the bars.

I didn't say I'm going to die if I take my hands off the handlebars, I just think I am not going to die if I tap a button on the handlebars, and you accused me (before editing your post. . .) of being a "terrible rider" for wanting to keep both hands on the grips where they should be. You are the same poster who posted "kill videos" from your dashcam in AI.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Wrong the correct answer is always Super Duke 1290.

That's an interesting misspelling of Buell Ulysses.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

That's an interesting misspelling of Buell Ulysses.

No he said 'Wrong the correct answer is...' not 'The wrong answer is...' read again man.

Crotch Fruit posted:

My idea of "fun" is different that yours. :aaaaa:

The western Kansas landscape sucks, nothing but long straight, flat, booring roads. I remember an ask/tell thread where a truck driver was revealing everything, when asked "What is the most booring road?" he said "hands down, I-70 from Denver to KC." I have rode that route and it has far more hills, trees, amd curves than my hometown. I used to drive 30 miles to get lunch, 80 miles to get groceries, 200 miles to get to a mall or shopping center, and anything remotely fun was much farther away. I know some people like driving for miles on a sports bike, but I felt it was more comfortable and thus more fun on a cruiser.

I didn't say I don't like sport bikes, I just chose a cruiser.

So what you're saying is I have to hate everything about cruisers and ride a sport bike, or ride a sport bike and point and laugh at people on cruiser bikes?

I didn't say I'm going to die if I take my hands off the handlebars, I just think I am not going to die if I tap a button on the handlebars, and you accused me (before editing your post. . .) of being a "terrible rider" for wanting to keep both hands on the grips where they should be. You are the same poster who posted "kill videos" from your dashcam in AI.

Wait so these roads are so perfectly straight and boring but there's like, always poo poo going on, man, so you gotta have that phone control on the handlebar just in case? Or what?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Nah bro, the roads are straight and booring for 200 miles but I'm so fast it only takes 2 min. I need handlebar cellphone controls for my Logitech controller while I play Moto GP 2008 with my GoPro hemlet cam.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

You are the same poster who posted "kill videos" from your dashcam in AI.

This is definitely topical for this thread.

(I neither own a dashcam nor any kind of video camera, nor have I ever made such a post).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Wait so these roads are so perfectly straight and boring but there's like, always poo poo going on, man, so you gotta have that phone control on the handlebar just in case? Or what?

He rides a cruiser: he doesn't need to look down to see the buttons, the handle bars are right in his eyeline.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Chichevache posted:

He rides a cruiser: he doesn't need to look down to see the buttons, the handle bars are right in his eyeline.

You nailed it, I have no sense of touch in any of my fingers, it's impossible for me to use tactile feedback but I can just stare at my handlebars instead.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Will you guys give it a rest? This entire argument is stupid motorcycle poo poo. Nobody cares what you ride.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

kuffs posted:

Will you guys give it a rest? This entire argument is stupid motorcycle poo poo. Nobody cares what you ride.

Other than slavvy being an rear end it's less "look, a harley rider" and more "dude said a dumb thing".

Also I would like to submit the last page or so as "overheard stupid motorcycle poo poo".

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Thank you Kuffs.

Marxalot posted:

Other than slavvy being an rear end it's less "look, a harley rider" and more "dude said a dumb thing".

Also I would like to submit the last page or so as "overheard stupid motorcycle poo poo".

Just to clairfy, I know the Harley mechanics argument is stupid, someone could easily do a ton of damage to a Harley. That said, I am curious, what would insurance do? Is the mechanic actually correct that repairing scratches in the frames paint would require total dissassembly which would be too expensive for insurance to pay for, thus totaling the bike? I honestly expect my insurance company to just look up blue book value for a stock bike and total my bike if/when I layer dan crash.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Crotch Fruit posted:

You nailed it, I have no sense of touch in any of my fingers, it's impossible for me to use tactile feedback but I can just stare at my handlebars instead.

I'm playing :ssh:

kuffs posted:

I ain't seen you around here before, boy. Harley, Indjun, or jap scrap? :clint:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Richard Bong posted:

What are the thoughts on all the Concourses that sit at about $3k with 40k miles on them on craigslist? If that is a dumb idea what is the other affordable sport tourer option?

You mean the old ZG1000? Good bike for what it is, they're a bit top heavy and tires in those sizes are getting hard to find, but the engine's pretty simple to work on with screw type valve adjustment, kind of like an EX500 with 4 cylinders. One of my instructors at the MSF course had an early 90's model with a couple hundred thousand miles on it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Man I'm really baffled because I can't comprehend what it's like to be so ignorantly wrong.

Naked standards are clearly the best kind of bike

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nsaP posted:

Man I'm really baffled because I can't comprehend what it's like to be so ignorantly wrong.

Preach it brother.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Supermotos are naked and standard seating, checks out.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Crotch Fruit posted:

Thank you Kuffs.

Just to clairfy, I know the Harley mechanics argument is stupid, someone could easily do a ton of damage to a Harley. That said, I am curious, what would insurance do? Is the mechanic actually correct that repairing scratches in the frames paint would require total dissassembly which would be too expensive for insurance to pay for, thus totaling the bike? I honestly expect my insurance company to just look up blue book value for a stock bike and total my bike if/when I layer dan crash.

The mechanic isn't entirely wrong, really. If someone keyed my FZ6's frame you could probably powdercoat itjust fine. People powdercoat frames all the time.

The trouble is that Japanese bikes like mine are cheap, and a shop is going to charge a loving ton in labor to fix it ($100/h). With a bike that's only worth 3-4k it's really easy to end up with damage that "totals" it. Especially with the absolutely absurd price of oem replacement parts. dropping my bike, killing 2 plastic bits and denting the gas tank would probably be 2k in parts.

Harleys are mostly the same but they retail over 20k.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 25, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

All bikes are the best, it's the riders that are poo poo across the board

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
This thread got meta as gently caress! I have a love for all bieks. :3:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

4 wheels bad, two wheels good. But some 2 wheels are more equal than others.

3 wheels are unholy abominations and should be purged from this earth.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How do you guys feel about penny farthings? I really hate them, but not as much as I hate people who ride them.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ahem, this site is for velocipedes only!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chichevache posted:

Hey gently caress you. Three wheelers are amazing suicide machines.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp28Dev-pOc

Never speak ill of 3 wheelers

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Yes.

I'm pretty amazed at how wildly this thread has spiralled out of control from one poo poo-talking post.

Side car racing is really interesting. It's one of those things where people strive really hard to become really skilled at doing something that is fundamentally unsuited to competition. Like cricket or professional darts.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Never speak ill of 3 wheelers

Motorcycles with sidecars aren't "3 wheelers", they're 150% motorcycles.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
250%. Two motherfuckers on that machine trusting each other to perform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xisTfTdawCc

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Harley trikes suck poo poo tho obv.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nsaP posted:

Harley trikes suck poo poo tho obv.

In 40yrs you'll own a can-am. Unironically.

Probably with an American flag hanging off one wheel and a POW/MIA flag on the other. :911:

e: Google'd them both. You're right. VVVV

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 25, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
not even close to a harley trike

harley trikes were running in front of me at deals gap doing 15mph. With the person on the back recording it on their ipad. fackin harley trikes

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

Ahem, this site is for velocipedes velociraptors only!

That's what I read, and I was confused.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Mini trikes are suicide machines, I rode a a mini trike one time and could barley keep the thing on three wheels. V-8 trikes however are indeed awesome unholy abominations:

The only part that kinda really sucks is turning.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

XYLOPAGUS posted:

This thread got meta as gently caress! I have a love for all bieks. :3:

CI is like PI for metal death beasts. No biek is bad by itself, they only become bad through bad owners with poor training.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kuffs posted:

I ride a thing with two wheels and a little engine.

I take it to inappropriate places and crash it into rocks.

then I go to starbux afterwards.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
All of us are the stupid motorcycle poo poo.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Does this qualify as a trike? I'm asking because I have no idea what it is.

I saw that last year sometime on 495 in Massachusetts.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Qualifies as fuckin' awesome

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Strife posted:

Does this qualify as a trike? I'm asking because I have no idea what it is.

I saw that last year sometime on 495 in Massachusetts.

That kind of owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Qualifies as fuckin' awesome

Seconded.

• Locked thread