Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

lol at luddites and amish afraid of technology and unwilling to learn about it, lol at an education system that would send them tens of thousands of dollars into debt to learn about them, lol just lol at a government that wont adapt until it's too late

this poo poo is off the hook funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Apocadall posted:

lol at luddites and amish afraid of technology and unwilling to learn about it, lol at an education system that would send them tens of thousands of dollars into debt to learn about them, lol just lol at a government that wont adapt until it's too late

this poo poo is off the hook funny

source your quotes

the hn thread is over there

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM
DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM     DIE YOSPOS SCUM

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:thumbsup:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Jerry Cotton posted:

true

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Oh poo poo, wrong scum-hating thread.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh poo poo sorry

DER YOSPOS SCUM

in case you identify as male

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i identify as scum

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

:barf:

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 24, 2015

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Jerry Cotton posted:

DIE YOSPOS SCUM

*snip*

CUM
:cb:

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Buttcoin purse posted:

Oh poo poo, wrong scum-hating thread.

Source plz

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

new justin trudeau point-and-click adventure looking good.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh poo poo sorry

DER YOSPOS SCUM

in case you identify as male

[drama] OMFG have some respect for nonbinary uhhh.. beings.. you scum!

I found it a few pages into the TUMBLE TIME thread, I think there was a link to a YouTube video too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

its your mirror irl

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

jony ive aces posted:

i've been interested in this issue for a while now

one of my brothers moved from australia to berlin less than two years ago and i always find it amusing when he talks about yuppie scumbag gentrifiers driving the rent up and killing off culture :ironicat:. but at the same time i know he's right

like it stands to reason that there could be a minority of newcomers who are more worthy than the others and who for that matter possibly better grok the zeitgeist than even a minority of the old locals. and my brother's a pretty cool dude (or at the very least he's less of a fuckwit than i am). but then when you start trying to pick and choose who is or isn't "worthy" you end up with some weird abitrary reverse-elitism at best and it's not like anybody is ever going to accuse themself of not belonging. and what the gently caress would i know, i've never even been to berlin, i only know it from some romanticised vision that is probably fairly similar to what attracts the yuppie scumbag gentrifiers in the first place

anyway i don't even care who the gently caress this otter person is and i guess the real lesson to take from this is that nothing good lasts forever, death is certain, hail satan

I think there's also a difference between people who move to an area to live their lives there and people who move to the area because they're asinine scumbags hoovering up venture capital and pissing out the digested excrement on everyone else in the form of inflated housing costs.

We are all the scum by enabling this sort of bullshit and building the machinations that keep it going. The problem will eventually fix itself though - when Google and the other big players' long-term plans mature and make programmers as expensive as roofers and the venture capital will go elsewhere and San Francisco will go back to being a big pretty heroin den fueled by carjackings.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jony ive aces posted:

i've been interested in this issue for a while now

one of my brothers moved from australia to berlin less than two years ago and i always find it amusing when he talks about yuppie scumbag gentrifiers driving the rent up and killing off culture :ironicat:. but at the same time i know he's right

the silliest part of this is that berlin has been a cosmopolitan city for like forever (a small period that ended within our lifetime notwithstanding) so he's a dumbass

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sorry to any roofers I couldn't think of any other job that gets "average" pay :shobon:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
im more of a rofler than a roofer, op

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I think there's also a difference between people who move to an area to live their lives there and people who move to the area because they're asinine scumbags hoovering up venture capital and pissing out the digested excrement on everyone else in the form of inflated housing costs.

We are all the scum by enabling this sort of bullshit and building the machinations that keep it going. The problem will eventually fix itself though - when Google and the other big players' long-term plans mature and make programmers as expensive as roofers and the venture capital will go elsewhere and San Francisco will go back to being a big pretty heroin den fueled by carjackings.
hey guys we're the very industry that enables communication and collaboration between people on opposite ends of the planet

so let's cluster everyone together in the dunce corner with stupid high property prices for literally no reason

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cuz nerds and bros are lazy, so a combination definitely isn't good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theflyingexecutive posted:

cuz nerds and bros are lazy, so a combination definitely isn't good

a combustion, on the other hand, would be p great

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

not just inflated housing costs

everyone who is involved in building, marketing, and purchasing these wastes of lumber and conflict minerals should be lined up against a wall

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

not just inflated housing costs

everyone who is involved in building, marketing, and purchasing these wastes of lumber and conflict minerals should be lined up against a wall

don't forget every pissant "journalist" who wrote about it

http://www.wired.com/2013/04/lapka/

quote:

All data from the sensors is beautifully illustrated in the app’s interface. It’s minimal and lovely, with data rendered in tiny moving particles and soothing colors with inviting iconography. Each sensor is represented by a matching floating block on the screen, and the blocks tumble around as you move your phone. As someone who tries to fill her iPhone only with apps that have the most beautiful UIs, I really appreciated the Lapka’s attention to software design

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/10/lapka-wants-you-to-measure-your-world-not-just-quantify-yourself/

quote:

Still, I think there’s reason enough to be hopeful for the Lapka’s future. The Quantified Self movement has picked up quite a bit of traction thanks to the advent of some cheap, pretty activity trackers after all, so maybe Lapka will able to spearhead a Quantified World movement.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
other than humidity and the questionable "emf" sensor, what the gently caress are those even supposed to be detecting? gullibility? credulity? the presence of too much disposable income?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

infernal machines posted:

other than humidity and the questionable "emf" sensor, what the gently caress are those even supposed to be detecting? gullibility? credulity? the presence of too much disposable income?

yes, yes, and yes

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The organic food sensor detects nitrates (so you can tell if your eggplant was grown using :siren: SYNTHETIC FERTILIZER :siren:), and the radiation sensor detects gamma rays and beta particles.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 25, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

AaaaaAAaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

The organic food sensor detects nitrates (so you can tell if your eggplant was grown using :siren: SYNTHETIC FERTILIZER :siren:), and the radiation sensor detects gamma particles.

much like the emf sensor i strongly question whether either of those function in any way

not hypothetically, i mean do the sensors detect dick all?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
WHY

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

take this to the buble thread

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Share Bear posted:

take this to the buble thread

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

the radiation sensor detects gamma particles.

lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

much like the emf sensor i strongly question whether either of those function in any way
the emf sensor detects lovely early-90s rave-rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waacof2saZw

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

jony ive aces posted:

hey guys we're the very industry that enables communication and collaboration between people on opposite ends of the planet

so let's cluster everyone together in the dunce corner with stupid high property prices for literally no reason

Just because it's been enabled doesn't mean a company will actually view it as being a good idea. I mean if you want to work for one of these companies but aren't actually physically in the bay area, you'll have to fly there to see people, and they'll have to buy an ipad on a stick for when you're not there, and this all costs money. At least that's what they tell me (well minus the ipad bit) while they're busy advertising how they are ~changing the world~ by enabling telecommuting. I don't know if it's true or not because I didn't have a wooden block bullshit detector hooked up to my iphone at the time, because it got into some kind of infinite feedback loop because it was itself bullshit.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

not hypothetically, i mean do the sensors detect dick all?

who knows? as far as i can tell nobody's ever bothered to test it and then post the results online

the visual design is minimalist and whimsical and that's all the buyers really care about anyway

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Buttcoin purse posted:

Just because it's been enabled doesn't mean a company will actually view it as being a good idea.

i worked for a tech company that was acquired by France Telecom and turned into a new division of their ISP dedicated to selling internet solutions to small and medium sized businesses including turnkey telecommuting stuff. when the new management found out that we had two people who lived in different cities and worked from home, they said "they've got to go. we don't do that poo poo."

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

the "die techy scum" activist isn't originally from san francisco

of course

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

yeah im really famous now and my husband is hot

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

the "die techy scum" activist isn't originally from san francisco

of course

shes against all those gentrifiers coming in from out of town trying to change her neighborhood, which is the mission district in san francisco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

maniacdevnull posted:

shes against all those gentrifiers coming in from out of town trying to change her neighborhood, which is the mission district in san francisco

yeah the neighborhood so established in yuppie culture that there's places in brooklyn named after delores park and what not.

from what i gather the tenderloin is the best place to experience the class war...she should try that one out.

• Locked thread