Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

That or really depressed like I was when I was really into internet critics.

Same. I watched a lot of this kind of stuff when I was jobless/depressed but even then I never really understood the people that were obsessive fans.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
That's where the mental illness comes in.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Behave normally, I have guns pointed at all of your backs.

No, don't put your hands up, you idiots!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So am I the only person here watching internet critics out of pure boredom rather than self medication?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Next, they will be hailed as the two messenger of God!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gyges posted:

So am I the only person here watching internet critics out of pure boredom rather than self medication?

I usually just use them as background noise for when I'm playing games without any sort of real narrative like Monster Hunter or some multiplayer stuff.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I think they're fun to watch, and I'd rather watch them than TV most of the time.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I just like dorky nerds overanalyzing things.

...actually, "dorky nerds" describes a lot of my entertainment choices.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
it's nice to have something interesting to listen to at work.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
At first I took internet critics too seriously before I learned to step back and actually make my own opinion about things. Now I like watching people who review stuff I wouldn't be able to acquire/not necessarily interested in getting into, such as Oancitizen and Allison's videos. Also yeah, background noise while I do arts and crafts.

I don't know, there's something weird about writing fanfiction about people who post RIGHT HERE or someone you can see/contact on Twitter easily.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Not sure if this fits with the theme of the thread, but this essay struck me as correct and changed the lens I see the world through a little bit. http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/30/i-can-tolerate-anything-except-the-outgroup/

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Foma posted:

Not sure if this fits with the theme of the thread, but this essay struck me as correct and changed the lens I see the world through a little bit. http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/30/i-can-tolerate-anything-except-the-outgroup/

No this wretched bit of Golden Mean Fallacy is not internet criticism.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
New Brows Held High!
http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/f-for-fake-and-the-death-of-the-author-brows-held-high/

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Half the reason I listen to Internet Critics is because they tend to dig up stuff I never would have thought of.

... like Brows Held High. Actually, I always meant to check out F for Fake, because I remain endlessly fascinated by people like Elmyr de Hory and Clifford Irving who pulled off such audacious hoaxes.

... and Orson Wells is probably one of my favorite people in history because he was both very talented and had really kind of an amazingly crazy persona. Like, there's never really been anyone like him. Made the greatest movie of all time and got drunk off his rear end in a wine commercial.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Foma posted:

Why are Margaret Thatcher and Osama Bin Laden opposites?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's good to know that if you say I ate twelve babies and I say I ate none, the most reasonable response is that I must have eaten six.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

I am not sure at all how you got the Golden Mean Fallacy from that article. I can understand that it might not be considered internet criticism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Foma posted:

I am not sure at all how you got the Golden Mean Fallacy from that article. I can understand that it might not be considered internet criticism.

Because that is literally all SSC guy writes. That and how the dysgenic effect of poor people having more children might be reversing, at least among whites.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

Because that is literally all SSC guy writes. That and how the dysgenic effect of poor people having more children might be reversing, at least among whites.

This is the only thing I have read by the guy, so I don't know his history, but that article was absolutely not about the the truth being in the middle.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Rebochan posted:

... and Orson Wells is probably one of my favorite people in history because he was both very talented and had really kind of an amazingly crazy persona. Like, there's never really been anyone like him. Made the greatest movie of all time and got drunk off his rear end in a wine commercial.

He's only mentioned briefly but check out Jodorowsky's Dune if you haven't seen it. :lol:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I like internet critics because I like hearing other people's point of views on subjects, especially if they articulate their positions well.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

He's only mentioned briefly but check out Jodorowsky's Dune if you haven't seen it. :lol:

The best movie never made. I watched the extended cut of the Lynch Dune last night, and I swear it gets worse every time I see it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gyges posted:

Well now I do thankfully

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, don't watch the extended cut. There's a reason why it's an Alan Smithee joint. The normal cut is a pure mess of a film but I still enjoy it each time I watch it. I just love how 80% of all the dialogue are inner monologues.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I don't really watch Internet critics. I don't know why I read this thread

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

littleorv posted:

I don't really watch Internet critics. I don't know why I read this thread

I read it to see what dumb thing people are assuming about a critics personality based on next to no information.That and seeing how someone can take something someone said, take it completely out of context and turn it into a dumb rant on any topic they want.

Ohh and the drama bombs that happen every so often.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Asuron posted:

I read it to see what dumb thing people are assuming about a critics personality based on next to no information.That and seeing how someone can take something someone said, take it completely out of context and turn it into a dumb rant on any topic they want.

Ohh and the drama bombs that happen every so often.

Actually yeah that is the reason I read this thread thanks.

I've noticed there are a lot of depressed people in this thread and I wish the best for all of you. That's all I wanted to say here

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Phelous just reviewed Motercycle the Pooh 2. Yes, there are apparently two of these things for who knows what reason.

http://phelous.com/2015/02/23/phelous/bootleg-zones/bootleg-zones-motorcycle-the-pooh-2/

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If this thread were a film, nobody outside Brad Jones would go anywhere near it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

littleorv posted:

I've noticed there are a lot of depressed people in this thread and I wish the best for all of you. That's all I wanted to say here
It's a vicious cycle of projection. "Hey! I just found x person who does videos on y! I share y as an interest! I like this person!" And it goes downhill from there :(

On another note, I haven't seen Kyle's new video, but I'm glad it addresses the whole "death of the author" school of criticism, if only because the internet has poisoned it for me as just an excuse for fanfic writers to justify their bad erotica. "You can't spell subtext without buttsex!" :downsrim:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 25, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You really can't, though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

quakster posted:

If this thread were a film, nobody outside Brad Jones would go anywhere near it.

Brad should make it a patreon goal to review this thread, I'd throw some extra cash for it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Leal posted:

Brad should make it a patreon goal to review this thread, I'd throw some extra cash for it.

If this happens can Josh Hadley read one of my comments again? :allears:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leal posted:

Wait until part three is finished, release hardcover copies of the entire trilogy. Great coffee table books and conversation starters.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Beefstew posted:

The best movie never made. I watched the extended cut of the Lynch Dune last night, and I swear it gets worse every time I see it.

Dune is one of those movies I really enjoy even though it's really bad. The only thing I really hate about it is the fight between Paul and Sting.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

It's a vicious cycle of projection. "Hey! I just found x person who does videos on y! I share y as an interest! I like this person!" And it goes downhill from there :(

On another note, I haven't seen Kyle's new video, but I'm glad it addresses the whole "death of the author" school of criticism, if only because the internet has poisoned it for me as just an excuse for fanfic writers to justify their bad erotica. "You can't spell subtext without buttsex!" :downsrim:

Well that and the whole thing with "Hey, digging this person's work doesn't mean I like them as a person or endorse their hosed up ideas. Now give them money and support on which they may or not use to contribute to said hosed up things."

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Death of the author and auteur theory, its sort-of opposite, are fairly easy things to get your head around. They basically boil down to 'what I get from the movie is as legitimate as anyone else's or the ones the creator might have *intended*' and 'what if the movie is the way it is on purpose?' Respectively.

The second one is more difficult. The idea isn't to attribute godly planning and depth or genius to the creator(s) but to assume everything you see on screen is 'part of the film', even if you might never know what the creator really wanted to be there.

Take Shakespeare. Dude wrote sex comedies. Was he purposefully messing with the triad of female gender stereotypes in Othello? Who cares - the point is, it does anyway. People have learned to not worry about how smart he might or might not have been and really put thought into reading its content. I'm in favour of doing this with all works of art instead of just the one most popular playwright. Auteur Theory's suggestion that there just might be a meaning to a work even if lots of people worked on it is a powerful thing.

Of course it doesn't mean all readings are equally accurate. The implicit third concept is that ideas can be communicated at all in art, and there are ways of discerning them. This is known as 'literacy'.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Does that apply to the people who say that Let It Go is a metaphor for coming out?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mraagvpeine posted:

Does that apply to the people who say that Let It Go is a metaphor for coming out?

What exactly is the negative if people believe that?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Infamous Sphere posted:

The actor's name was Billy Warlock? BILLY WARLOCK?

Yep, son of Dick Warlock, aka Michael Myers. You can see Billy Warlock in Halloween II!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What exactly is the negative if people believe that?

I'm not saying there is a negative, I was just trying to give an example.

• Locked thread