Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone have experience with Magic Set Editor able to help me? I have a keyword in a custom set that requires reminder text because it's a new mechanic. It's one you use from your hand rather than on the battlefield, so think of it like Transmute. On a card it would be templated "Transmute 1UU (Here is the big long reminder text about how Transmute works.)"

In MSE, I can only seem to get reminder text if I do it "1UU: Transmute (Here is the reminder text)." Anyone know of a solution to that? I may have to just do it by hand, I'm worried.

In the spot where you're defining your keyword you can insert a mana cost variable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

My LGS is like a loving zoo on pre-release events, people can't even get seated without it being a massive ballache, I can only imagine the chaos that boardgame thing will cause.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AceClown posted:

My LGS is like a loving zoo on pre-release events, people can't even get seated without it being a massive ballache, I can only imagine the chaos that boardgame thing will cause.

If your LGS is anything like mine, tell them to put the board game on the Warhammer tables.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

LSV has a series of him playing a U/W Mentor deck in a Vintage Daily and from what I've seen so far he's 0-2. It looks like his problem is that white sucks in Vintage the same way green does - there's like 2 or 3 cards that are good enough to play in Vintage in those colors (in white its Stoneforge Mystic and Swords to Plowshares, sometimes, and in green the only cards I've seen get played in green are either Oath of Druids or Fastbond, and not in the same deck).

Of course, basically every good Vintage card is blue or an artifact.

Green has a lot of good sideboard options, like Nature's Claim and Xantid Swarm. White and green are overall poor, though, yes. I think the main problem with that Mentor deck was more the choice of blue cards than the white cards, though. Mana Drain has really fallen off in the format.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
It seems like the fair-ish white threats kind of... aren't better enough than something like Young Pyromancer to merit playing a color with way worse support cards. And those fair-ish threats are white's top end, whereas green has absolutely nuts cards like Oath and Fastbond. I only watch rather than play Vintage, though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Attorney at Funk posted:

It seems like the fair-ish white threats kind of... aren't better enough than something like Young Pyromancer to merit playing a color with way worse support cards. And those fair-ish threats are white's top end, whereas green has absolutely nuts cards like Oath and Fastbond. I only watch rather than play Vintage, though.

The best option to get Mentor in there is probably just playing Mentor as the only white card in a "Pyromancer" deck. In reality, my guess is that you just play Pyromancer.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That prerelease thing makes me seriously wonder if the people in wotc who go prereleases had any say in its moronic development.

The LGS I go to for prereleases is well run, but everyone is exhausted by round 2 and the store owner isn't going to want to put up with this sort of stupid carnival game bullshit. Either it's the midnight prerelease or it's the day after where he slept like four hours.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

That prerelease thing makes me seriously wonder if the people in wotc who go prereleases had any say in its moronic development.

The LGS I go to for prereleases is well run, but everyone is exhausted by round 2 and the store owner isn't going to want to put up with this sort of stupid carnival game bullshit. Either it's the midnight prerelease or it's the day after where he slept like four hours.

They only changed the policy to even let WOTC employees play in them like 3 weeks ago.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Ramos posted:

Mind sharing that list? I'm working on a lands deck.

I don't really have a list to share since I'm still just putting it together with Legacy leftovers at this point but Archentron pretty much covers the main ideas here (skipping the blue cards in the RUG bit of course):

Archenteron posted:

There's four entirely viable Lands decks that seem to pop up in TL: ... RUG for things like Gamble, Mystical Tutor, Intuition, Seismic Assault, Punishing Fire/Grove, Raging Ravine, Trade Routes, Academy Ruins, Tolaria West, Wheel; Jund for killspell/discard control, entomb to speed the loam, Ravens Crime hand-nuking, Xira Arien to draw/dredge on command ...

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
My lgs typically ignores the side games that are given for release night and simply distributes the rewards evenly among the players that are left at the end if the event. It seems like a good way to do it, although it means staying until 5 am for the midnight release.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Let's hope they learned their lesson and don't put alt-art Ugin in the pre-release bonuses.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Angry Grimace posted:

LSV has a series of him playing a U/W Mentor deck in a Vintage Daily and from what I've seen so far he's 0-2. It looks like his problem is that white sucks in Vintage the same way green does - there's like 2 or 3 cards that are good enough to play in Vintage in those colors (in white its Stoneforge Mystic and Swords to Plowshares, sometimes, and in green the only cards I've seen get played in green are either Oath of Druids or Fastbond, and not in the same deck).

Of course, basically every good Vintage card is blue or an artifact.

Noble Fish runs a fair number of green and white hatebear type cards (Ethersworn Canonist and Meddling mage come to mind), but nothing else plays them. Stony Silence also does a pretty good Null Rod impression with the upside of being harder to remove.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Moatman posted:

Noble Fish runs a fair number of green and white hatebear type cards (Ethersworn Canonist and Meddling mage come to mind), but nothing else plays them. Stony Silence also does a pretty good Null Rod impression with the upside of being harder to remove.

Those aren't very common archetypes anymore though. They are in paper, but not online which is in reality where almost all Vintage play is these days. Null Rod is probably more popular than Stony Silence these day by virtue of not being a white card.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 25, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

They only changed the policy to even let WOTC employees play in them like 3 weeks ago.
I suppose I'm not being very clear, sorry, but people hired at WOTC traditionally have gone to PR (and FNMs, GPs, etc) previous to their employment and would then have experiences to guide its promotion effectively. It feels like they don't ask those people. I didn't even realize there was a policy change.

I mean I guess it doesn't matter because the stores generally won't do much with it, but it seems like a waste of R&D time or money that could go into other things developing materials that do not fit the general scheme of PRs. Obviously this set is pretty likely to fall more toward DGM than anything in terms of power so the prizes will probably be bad but still...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

I suppose I'm not being very clear, sorry, but people hired at WOTC traditionally have gone to PR (and FNMs, GPs, etc) previous to their employment and would then have experiences to guide its promotion effectively. It feels like they don't ask those people. I didn't even realize there was a policy change.

I mean I guess it doesn't matter because the stores generally won't do much with it, but it seems like a waste of R&D time or money that could go into other things developing materials that do not fit the general scheme of PRs. Obviously this set is pretty likely to fall more toward DGM than anything in terms of power so the prizes will probably be bad but still...

What makes you think the power level of this set is going to be in line with DGM (I assume you mean Dragon's Maze)?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I wonder if my store will let me use this as my breath weapon.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

What makes you think the power level of this set is going to be in line with DGM (I assume you mean Dragon's Maze)?
Precedent set by gimmicky prereleases of the past would be my guess. See also Avacyn Restored. If anyone knows of a more completely miserable limited environment, I'd be interested to hear of it. That said, DGM was a great limited environment due to RTR and GTC.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, I don't know the generally accepted theories as per DGM being developed the manner in which it was and I'm sure KCW will tell me a tale a decade from now, but I would personally wager that developing MMA and DGM in relative parallel reduced the time they spent on fine-tuning DGM. Several cards in DGM (at least 5-8, I'd have to go over the set again, ugh) feel to me like they intentionally tweaked low, adding a mana cost or weakening an ability. Dragons appears to be under the same circumstances, and while I don't think it's going to be as bad as DGM I do feel like of the 'block' it is going to be the set that tends more towards DGM's development style.

Of course I would be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong here, and I think the world building is still going to be excellent.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

Well, I don't know the generally accepted theories as per DGM being developed the manner in which it was and I'm sure KCW will tell me a tale a decade from now, but I would personally wager that developing MMA and DGM in relative parallel reduced the time they spent on fine-tuning DGM. Several cards in DGM (at least 5-8, I'd have to go over the set again, ugh) feel to me like they intentionally tweaked low, adding a mana cost or weakening an ability. Dragons appears to be under the same circumstances, and while I don't think it's going to be as bad as DGM I do feel like of the 'block' it is going to be the set that tends more towards DGM's development style.

Of course I would be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong here, and I think the world building is still going to be excellent.

No, DTK and KTK were both developed and designed around the same time. Maro already said that the set that had to be rushed to production was Fate Reforged.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
FRF being rushed through development makes the bombiness of the rares / unevenness of the commons make a lot more sense. It feels like a set that could have used more time playtesting, it's so inconsistent.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

No, DTK and KTK were both developed and designed around the same time. Maro already said that the set that had to be rushed to production was Fate Reforged.
I thought they were designed around the same time but developed/tested in the general process. Unless you're seriously telling me you think they were testing out Dragons standard without Fate cards? Like what?

Power level is a result of playtesting, in case I'm not being clear. DGM could easily be an incredible set with a few minor, but risky, tweaks.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I thought they were designed around the same time but developed/tested in the general process. Unless you're seriously telling me you think they were testing out Dragons standard without Fate cards? Like what?

Power level is a result of playtesting, in case I'm not being clear. DGM could easily be an incredible set with a few minor, but risky, tweaks.

I think the issue was that because fate is supposed to bridge the gap in the two sets mechanically they needed to know all ten clan mechanics before they could really work on getting Fate nailed together. They probably had to link the development of these more closely than they usually would for sets. Also Dragons is the "first" set in a block, so it might have gotten extra time. There's an article about all this that MaRo wrote that does a much better job explaining than I am, you should read that.

Part 1
Part 2
Ok, in re-browsing these I think they cover something different than what you are talking about. Whoops.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 25, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

"Be aware that before the Fate Reforged design team met for the first time, the Dragons of Tarkir design team was already up and running. Large sets get a full year of design while small sets get four months. This meant that Fate Reforged had a peek into both large sets (which, by the way, was fundamental to its design)."

Development is who sets the numbers and yes, they probably were. I don't think they playtest the cards the way you're envisioning.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 25, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think they playtest the cards the way you're envisioning.
I'm pretty sure given the muddling of terminology in your post that you don't know what I'm talking about but far more importantly why didn't anyone tell me Tim Aten worked on Dragons holy gently caress

And then I get real sad that no one else even remembers the hobo power that is Tim Aten :(

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Just went into a LGS to buy some Modern singles and there was a cute girl at the counter who was apparently just getting into Magic and I stood at the singles case about three feet away from them for five minutes while he rattled off the basic rules of Magic and the story of Theros and asked her what color she liked the most without even acknowledging I was there. It was cute how he dumbed things down like saying "friendly colors" instead of "ally colors" for no discernible reason. I ended up ordering a playset of the one card I really wanted off ebay on my phone and walking out. I'm sure I could have said "hey can I get some singles" and he would have helped me, but I am of the belief that I shouldn't have to do much work beyond "being present" to have the opportunity to give my money to a business, and it bothers me that I know he would have helped me, or at least acknowledged that I was standing in his store, if the person just getting into the game was a fat neckbeard with a ponytail. This hobby sometimes.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Just went into a LGS to buy some Modern singles and there was a cute girl at the counter who was apparently just getting into Magic and I stood at the singles case about three feet away from them for five minutes while he rattled off the basic rules of Magic and the story of Theros and asked her what color she liked the most without even acknowledging I was there. It was cute how he dumbed things down like saying "friendly colors" instead of "ally colors" for no discernible reason. I ended up ordering a playset of the one card I really wanted off ebay on my phone and walking out. I'm sure I could have said "hey can I get some singles" and he would have helped me, but I am of the belief that I shouldn't have to do much work beyond "being present" to have the opportunity to give my money to a business, and it bothers me that I know he would have helped me, or at least acknowledged that I was standing in his store, if the person just getting into the game was a fat neckbeard with a ponytail. This hobby sometimes.

I'm quoting this so you just can't edit the stupidity.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

We've reached peak goon here folks.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

:allears: please tell me this is copypasta from somewhere...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I'm sorry that you couldn't work up the nerve to talk to her, dude, better luck next time.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I am an unabashed goony goon, but seriously, that's poo poo customer service.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's like going up to the bar for a drink, sometimes you just have to Muscle Burstmuscle your way through.

E: If you wanted some singles you could have just listed the people who post in this thread, ho ho ho ho

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

I'm sure I could have said "hey can I get some singles" and he would have helped me, but

This hobby sometimes.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

I am an unabashed goony goon, but seriously, that's poo poo customer service.

You're a stupid human being.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Being prepared to help out a new player with the basics sounds like good customer service to me. I'm sure they'd be prepared to take a quick break from their explanation if you just asked.

e:
Magic: The Gathering: there was a cute girl at the counter and I stood at the singles case about three feet away from them for five minutes

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 25, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I guess I'm a big weird diva for expecting a small shop owner to say "hey" or "welcome" or literally anything and ask every customer if they need any help when they walk into the store.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

I guess I'm a big weird diva for expecting a small shop owner to say "hey" or "welcome" or literally anything and ask every customer if they need any help when they walk into the store.

No, you're a big weirdo who decided to not only hate on a new player (WHICH IS GOOD FOR MAGIC) but single out that it was a girl (WHICH IS ALSO GOOD FOR MAGIC) in an insipid tirade about how you're too socially awkward to speak up like an adult.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

En Fuego posted:

No, you're a big weirdo who decided to not only hate on a new player (WHICH IS GOOD FOR MAGIC) but single out that it was a girl (WHICH IS ALSO GOOD FOR MAGIC) in an insipid tirade about how you're too socially awkward to speak up like an adult.

You're right.

E: And I'm not hating on the girl, and I think it's good he wants to help a new player. I've been in the shop a bunch of times while there have been other customers being helped and they'd still greet and ask if I needed anything because that just seems like basic customer service, and it's frustrating to walk in to a store ready to spend money and have them not even acknowledge you. But yes, I'm being goony and obnoxious about it.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 25, 2015

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Hey thread, today I went to my LGS (local game store) and the owner was helping a new player. She happened to have tits so I decided to be a big dumb idiot. drat broads ruining my hobby. Anyone else every experienced this or am I just a huge fag?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

born on a buy you posted:

Hey thread, today I went to my LGS (local game store) and the owner was helping a new player. She happened to have tits so I decided to be a big dumb idiot. drat broads ruining my hobby. Anyone else every experienced this or am I just a huge fag?

You're just a huge fag op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Wait that's not copy-pasted from Reddit or something?

How was the guy even supposed to know you wanted to buy something? Most people who go to an LGS don't, from what I've seen, especially the regulars.

• Locked thread