Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Duckbag posted:

How the hell would you even go about making districts for women? The vast majority of communities have very close gender parity. Your example is terrible.

Or you could read the next loving sentence where one of the other examples is a Hispanic district, something that does exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

My Imaginary GF posted:

Quotas go against the principles of America.

Except when we're using them to keep out dirty immigrants, of course.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Except when we're using them to keep out dirty immigrants, of course.

Assigning numerical values to nonwhites is deeply ingrained in American culture.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bobby Digital posted:

Assigning numerical values to nonwhites is deeply ingrained in American culture.

Those aren't quotas, that's accounting

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Or you could read the next loving sentence where one of the other examples is a Hispanic district, something that does exist.

Of course those districts exist. Gerrymandering around ethnic lines is relatively easy, especially in areas with long histories of housing segregation. Doesn't make your idea of a congressional district for her any less asinine.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

This is also easily fixable with party list voting, as all you have to do is mandate the parties keep a certain percentage of minorities on their candidate lists instead of essentially rigging elections in dozens of single seat constituencies

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

My Imaginary GF posted:

Also Sweden apparently.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

"What principles are those, MIGF?" he asked.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Goals and targets are ok, but not quotas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

baw posted:

Goals and targets are ok, but not quotas.

God forbid we do anything to meet the goals.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Of course those districts exist. Gerrymandering around ethnic lines is relatively easy, especially in areas with long histories of housing segregation. Doesn't make your idea of a congressional district for her any less asinine.

Part of the problem of districting around ethnic lines is that I feel like there's no bright line between "creating a minority-majority district" and "totally packing a seat with all the minorities to make other seats non-competitive". That's the subject of an ongoing dispute in Virginia right now.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

This is also easily fixable with party list voting, as all you have to do is mandate the parties keep a certain percentage of minorities on their candidate lists instead of essentially rigging elections in dozens of single seat constituencies

Parties are allowed to define their precincts and wards. So, what you'd do is design 600 wards of one person, stuff 'em with all the nation's minorities, and then keep doing business as usual while everyone laughs at West Virginia for being so wacky on those race relations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The best the D's in Ohio can do is Ted Strickland?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mcmagic posted:

The best the D's in Ohio can do is Ted Strickland?

The answer is literally yes.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
The former congressman from a region which looks like it'll never vote D again (southeast Ohio)?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
oh the part that touches kentucky and west virginia?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
IM STUNNED

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ted Strickland was a fine and briefly popular governor

if this were Reconstruction I would come cast a fake vote for him

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Villarigosa's not running, so say hello to Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Russ Feingold's hinting at a rematch against Ron Johnson!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Joementum posted:

Villarigosa's not running, so say hello to Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA).
She'll be great, but I really wanted Governor Kamala Harris :(

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

FMguru posted:

Look at it this way: as Governor, you only get her for two terms. As Senator, you've got her til she gets bored or drops dead on the Senate floor.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

FMguru posted:

Newsom would probably be better as a governor as noted above, you only get two terms and there's no way he's not going to use both of them to strengthen dems here even more.

Although this has the downside of possibly giving Newsom a path to the presidency.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Newsom is too Patrick Bateman to get elected president.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Party list voting is currently banned due to an anti-voter suppression law so you'd have to fix that first.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me

Duckbag posted:

In other words, it has "bipartisanship" baked into it in a way that is utterly undemocratic. The fact that the two parties get equal representation even though Democrats nearly double the Republicans in voter registration is absurd on its face, and the requirement that the parties, and these mysterious "non-affiliated" commissioners have to work together to approve things has the potential to force all sorts of ridiculous compromises. That said, I still voted for it.

Lol. So you're pro gerrymandering then....

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Duckbag posted:

In other words, it has "bipartisanship" baked into it in a way that is utterly undemocratic. The fact that the two parties get equal representation even though Democrats nearly double the Republicans in voter registration is absurd on its face, and the requirement that the parties, and these mysterious "non-affiliated" commissioners have to work together to approve things has the potential to force all sorts of ridiculous compromises. That said, I still voted for it.

To be fair voter registration numbers are effectively meaningless. My county has a 3-to-1 Democratic edge in registration but votes Republican by roughly the opposite margin. It's that way in large swathes of the South.

Yeah in places like California most of the registered Ds actually vote D but you probably shouldn't lean on registration to tell you about anything in general.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If it's a legitimate Senate race, Todd Akin can shut that whole thing down.

quote:

Former Rep. Todd Akin, a conservative who lost to Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., in 2012, after he made controversial comments about rape that became national news, told the Post-Dispatch this week that he is still exploring his future and that he has not ruled out challenging Blunt in a primary.

“Roy has burned a lot of bridges with a lot of conservatives in the state,” Akin said, adding: “Anything is a possibility.”

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

So will the awful Wisconsin electorate elect tea bagging moron Ron Johnson over Russ Finegold again? Looks like they will have another chance.

This state has put Scott Walker in office 3 times, so they will collectively always choose the worst possible option.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Boy, the worst thing I can say about Roy Blunt is that there's a man who don't know the hunt, I tell you what.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Can we get a stronger phrase than "controversial comments about rape"? Maybe "blatant lies", "double-take inducing", "unbelievably ignorant", "national embarassment", somewhere in that region?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kellsterik posted:

Can we get a stronger phrase than "controversial comments about rape"? Maybe "blatant lies", "double-take inducing", "unbelievably ignorant", "national embarassment", somewhere in that region?

I'm not sure what "uncontroversial remarks about rape" worth noting would be.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm not sure what "uncontroversial remarks about rape" worth noting would be.

"Rape is bad. People shouldn't do it."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Chadderbox posted:

Yeah, if a Republican confined themselves to just that it would be pretty worth noting.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Chadderbox posted:

But then how could they tell women to stop being such whores?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Majorian posted:

But then how could they tell women to stop being such whores?

Pay washed up actresses to say it for them?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chadderbox posted:

lead of tomorrow's trib: 'RAPE IS BAD', DECLARES JOE WALSH
KIRK HAS NOT COMMENTED

Where's the sensationalism in that? How many copies will that sell?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

lead of tomorrow's trib: 'RAPE IS BAD', DECLARES JOE WALSH
KIRK HAS NOT COMMENTED

Where's the sensationalism in that? How many copies will that sell?

Are you implying that they say that sort of thing all the time and only the "legitimate rape" type comments get play? I can see why the papers run with one type of comment and not the other, but I don't imagine that the guys saying that kind of thing with a camera in their face are saving their reasonable statements for the family dinner table discussions.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Chadderbox posted:

Pay washed up actresses to say it for them?

Boom!

But yeah, I think we're seeing Republican lockstep messaging hitting its limits. The leadership realizes that their people can't say incredibly stupid poo poo like that anymore, but their other elected officials just aren't getting the message.

Which is fine with me. I never want this flaming tailspin to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

eternalname posted:

Lol. So you're pro gerrymandering then....

Are you implying that California wasn't horribly gerrymandered before the Commission got set up? We had a situation where legislators had carte blanche to pick their own loving districts, or try to pick them for their opponents. There was no sense of consistency or continuity to it. At one point, my home town was shunted between senate districts in back to back redistricting. This meant that not only did we wind up in the district of someone we never voted for, but since the two districts had elections in different years, when they switched us back we missed our chance to vote in that district either. We went like six years without being able to vote for Senate. At least those districts have kept the same general shape though, even if the borders keep shifting. That's more than can be said for the Assembly districts. Each cycle they seemed to be completely different. Strong candidates have had to abandon campaigns because their districts get ripped apart at just the wrong times. People kept moving to get more promising districts. One year, three Republican legislators found themselves squeezed into the same North San Diego district. That must have been awkward.

The whole system of backroom deals, electoral sabotage, and naked power-brokering was just nasty. It fed off of and reinforced the very worst tendencies of our factionalized legislature, added a whole new point of contention to an already dysfunctional body, and was cheating the ordinary citizens of their right to participate in an orderly and cohesive political process. There were a great many of us who were desperate to end the madness by any means necessary and the Redistricting Commission, flawed though it was, seemed like a step in the right direction. I had reservations to be sure, but I don't regret supporting it.

• Locked thread